As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scalp Folliculitis

WashWash Sweet ChristmasRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, around March-April of this year, my scalp started getting really itchy almost all the time, and I started getting pimples there. Like, a lot of them. A whole lot, especially when compared to the complete lack of acne in that location prior to their appearance Spring of this year. It got so bad that it would hurt to rest my head on a pillow, which affected my sleep, which basically made for an all-around bad time. I figured it was just acne, and started using a fairly harsh shampoo/facial wash for acne that was rough on my hair but helped the pimples a little, though it didn't get rid of them entirely.

Another thing that started about the time the pimples popped up was my hair began to thin. Not rapidly, but close enough, and it's gotten to the point that I have a smattering of small bald spots. Now, my family has no history whatsoever of male pattern baldness. I'm happy to have relatives in their nineties, and they still have full heads of hair. Literally not a single blood relative has thinning hair, including the ninety year olds. I'm currently 20.

Now, without even examining my scalp, my GP said male pattern baldness, despite the itching, pain, redness, and pimples accompanying the thinning - she basically didn't spare it a moment's thought. I have an appointment with my dermatologist on tuesday to ask her a few things.

What I'd like to know in the meantime is - for those of you who have had folliculitis, does what I have sound like it, and what did you do to help treat it and assist the regrowth of hair (my research has stated that regrowth is possible, thank science).

This has been killing me. My hair is the only physical characteristic I have that I have always considered a point of pride, my crowning glory. I might as well be Samson. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
Wash on

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    With the scalp irritations and blotchy balding you're describing I think you should have yourself tested for ringworm.

The hairloss and/or persistant pimples could also be from touching the affected areas, if you do that alot.

Siska on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, that definitely sounds like ring worm. I used to work in a cat shelter, and we'd have serious outbreaks of that all the time (I'd fuckin'... bleach my self down so I never got it), so I have a bit of experience dealing with it.

To check if you have it, either go to the doctor, or get yourself a black light. Ringworm is a fungus and it will glow a green under the blacklight. If it comes out positive, I suggest going to the doctor and getting an ointment to put on it. Or at the very least, get Lotromin, or Tenactin from the grocery store. Those would work fairly well, as athletes foot and ringworm are actually pretty much the same exact thing.

Luckily for you, if it is ringworm, it's definitely treatable, and the hair will grow back :P

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    RikRik Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I swear by head and shoulders shampoo. Just a gentle massage goes a long way stimulating follicle growth and releasing dandruff.

Good luck in your quest.

Rik on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Siska wrote: »
    With the scalp irritations and blotchy balding you're describing I think you should have yourself tested for ringworm.

The hairloss and/or persistant pimples could also be from touching the affected areas, if you do that alot.

Ring worm on your head? I had it on my arm once from wrestling. I thought it was a spider bite until it didn't go away. Simple ointment obtained from the doctor solved the problem.

Here you go: http://www.riversideonline.com/health_reference/Disease-Conditions/DS00892.cfm

Slider on