Options

NASA Moon Bombing: No Blood for Moonajuana

13»

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't like this thread as much.

Anyway, this isn't the first time we have bombed the moon. Lots of the lunar modules were dropped on it as visiting astronauts left. This is just the first time we've bombed that particular part of the moon for that particular reason.
    Lunokhod-mission.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, Lunakhod is pretty sweet but I don't know why you're replying to me with it. Unless you're trying to make me like the thread more, in which case you're succeeding.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, Lunakhod is pretty sweet but I don't know why you're replying to me with it. Unless you're trying to make me like the thread more, in which case you're succeeding.

My intention.

Plus, stuff like this sometimes gets overlooked.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If anyone is interested, this is the full (an hour plus) NASA TV video from the press conference:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEV4IoUh_Gk

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'd like to see an expedition find Lunakhod, if only to see if there really was a midget in it.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'd like to see an expedition find Lunakhod, if only to see if there really was a midget in it.

.....okay.....

I might be in the minority when it came to this, but I am really disappointed that the United States remained the only country to deliver a human to the moon. I mean, I'm not upset that an American landed on the moon (quite the contrary), I'm just sad that the USSR scrapped their LK Lander (though they had good reasons, and they put their minds to other worthwhile projects). This might just be optimism talking, but had the LK eventually made it, we might be on the cusp of seeing a Chinese or European lander succeed by this point.

But, this could all just be incredibly naive. And I'm one of those people who thinks Intercosmos was one of the greatest things to come out of the space race, so I'm probably a damn dirty pinko to boot....

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've always had a soft spot for the Cosmonauts on the other side of the Iron Curtain. Their accomplishments are amazing, and a tribute to human ingenuity and tenacity. It's a shame that their program didn't consider their safety as much as a priority as NASA made it for the Astronauts. Still, being a space pioneer is dangerous work and those guys did amazing things under less than ideal circumstances. If only the Space Race hadn't been mainly about Cold War dick waving. I still dream about the day that we all drop our arms races and sink our military budgets into exploring the Solar System and leveraging the huge resources that kind of cooperation would put at our disposal.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    I've always had a soft spot for the Cosmonauts on the other side of the Iron Curtain. Their accomplishments are amazing, and a tribute to human ingenuity and tenacity. It's a shame that their program didn't consider their safety as much as a priority as NASA made it for the Astronauts. Still, being a space pioneer is dangerous work and those guys did amazing things under less than ideal circumstances. If only the Space Race hadn't been mainly about Cold War dick waving. I still dream about the day that we all drop our arms races and sink our military budgets into exploring the Solar System and leveraging the huge resources that kind of cooperation would put at our disposal.

Well, nothing wrong with dreaming.

Frankly, I'd settle for Intercosmos II. And it doesn't have to run by the Russian Federation/CIS either. It's sad, but at the time, the USSR really was the only government that:

1) Didn't mind sending blacks, Latinos, Southeast Asians, Arabs, Indians and French people into space.
    2) Was actually capable of doing this.
    3) Didn't mind footing the bill.

Now, obviously, it wasn't done for entirely benign reasons (nothing is in this world), but the fact was, if you weren't white, and you went into space, you were almost certainly a cosmonaut and did it on Moscow's ruble. More than twenty years later, and now, astronauts and cosmonauts are pretty much all white, and if they're not, they're Americans. Not to mention Russia is really under no obligation to induct Kazakh or Uzbeki or even Ukrainian cosmonauts, unlike the old days.

Granted, there haven't been as many Chinese Taikonauts as I hoped, but even overcoming that, it's hardly a representation of Earth's population.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I'm a pretty big dreamer. Gotta have something to hope for, right? That's one of the reasons I find a mission like LCROSS so exciting. If we find what we are looking for, in a suitable quantity, we'll have accessible reaction mass close by, constrained only by 1/6 of the gravity that we currently have to factor. The hardest part in getting out there is the problem of getting all that mass out of the Earth's gravity well. This could be a step in the right direction.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I'm a pretty big dreamer. Gotta have something to hope for, right? That's one of the reasons I find a mission like LCROSS so exciting. If we find what we are looking for, in a suitable quantity, we'll have accessible reaction mass close by, constrained only by 1/6 of the gravity that we currently have to factor. The hardest part in getting out there is the problem of getting all that mass out of the Earth's gravity well. This could be a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, putting mass on the moon is still more than we're generally willing to pay for, let alone man mass.

EDIT: not that I don't totally fucking agree with you, but I weep for the reality.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Unfortunately, putting mass on the moon is still more than we're generally willing to pay for, let alone man mass.

EDIT: not that I don't totally fucking agree with you, but I weep for the reality.

Baby steps, man. Baby steps. We'll get there... hopefully.

Drake on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Just wait. We'll crack the secrets to fusion and then polywell's we'll suddenly become understandable and buildable in you're garage and we'll have such a deluge of cheap energy that groups build rockets all over the place. Soon you won't be able to go more then a few city blocks without having someone building a lunar capable system. It'll be a damn gold rush to get precious Helium-3 so people can push out to Mars.

Then all of Earth's problems will start being solved just because people will finally have something more interesting to do then go to war or try to fight over bits of old real estate on this mud ball.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Just wait. We'll crack the secrets to fusion and then polywell's we'll suddenly become understandable and buildable in you're garage and we'll have such a deluge of cheap energy that groups build rockets all over the place. Soon you won't be able to go more then a few city blocks without having someone building a lunar capable system. It'll be a damn gold rush to get precious Helium-3 so people can push out to Mars.

Then all of Earth's problems will start being solved just because people will finally have something more interesting to do then go to war or try to fight over bits of old real estate on this mud ball.

And we'd do it faster if we had the pressure of a little goddamn competition.

Capitalism, once again, I have followed your rules, and you have let me down....

*angry fist wave*

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

.....okay.....

I might be in the minority when it came to this, but I am really disappointed that the United States remained the only country to deliver a human to the moon. I mean, I'm not upset that an American landed on the moon (quite the contrary), I'm just sad that the USSR scrapped their LK Lander (though they had good reasons, and they put their minds to other worthwhile projects). This might just be optimism talking, but had the LK eventually made it, we might be on the cusp of seeing a Chinese or European lander succeed by this point.

But, this could all just be incredibly naive. And I'm one of those people who thinks Intercosmos was one of the greatest things to come out of the space race, so I'm probably a damn dirty pinko to boot....

Man didn't really land on the moon. Conspiracy I tell you!
    I have to read a bullshit moon landing hoax theory crazy paper (NASA Mooned America) for a class I'm in. Then I have to write about it. After reading and writing about papers from Stephen Hawking, Johannes Kepler, and Aristotle. It is taking all of my self control to not start out with a Penn Jillette inspired "and then there's this asshole."

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

.....okay.....

Man didn't really land on the moon. Conspiracy I tell you!
    I have to read a bullshit moon landing hoax theory crazy paper (NASA Mooned America) for a class I'm in. Then I have to write about it. After reading and writing about papers from Stephen Hawking, Johannes Kepler, and Aristotle. It is taking all of my self control to not start out with a Penn Jillette inspired "and then there's this asshole."

I tells ya, Breznev felt bad about the creaming the USSR gave the US in 1969 World Ice Hockey Championships, and being the sappy sucker he was, they had to go and edit all the footage to make Nixon feel better. Lunniy Korabl and Cosmos 492 becomes Lunar LM and Apollo 11. I'm onto you NASA.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I still say that in the meantime we should just reduce the payload mass fraction and increase the payload mass. Fuck mass efficiency. Aluminum and rocket fuel are cheap.

ProPatriaMori on