As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Quest for a Good Web Host

xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
For the past 2 years I have been using globat as my webhost and its time for renewal. I really never liked the host much. Uploads were always slow, they were constantly trying to upgrade me to something with offers that I would have to login and refuse or they would automatically start, and now with the renewal its way more than it should be and it looks like they are trying to make me take a bigger hosting package than I had before with no way to change it. Long story short I need a new webhost by the end of the month.

I don't need much. I just have a personal portfolio site and it really does not take much space. Its less than a gig. I don't get a whole lot of traffic either. My site right now is done in CSS and Flash but the new one in the works has some Java as well.

Does anyone know of a good host that is not going to cost a ton and does not try to pull crazy crap to make me pay more every few days?

xYUUBINKYOKUx on

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hear alot of good about FatCow and HostGator

Never used either but I hear they're good, cheap, and reliable.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Using godaddy for my site, it is super reliable and very easy to set up everything for your site. No idea on prices though because I never shopped around.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Godaddy and dreamhost are probably the two most common recommendations I see here, you'll probably be happy with either of them unless you need dedicated hosting or something.

I just set up a site with dreamhost and it was relatively painless.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i've been very happy with dreamhost over the last 4 years

wmelon on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hostgator is good, cheap, and powerful. $8 a month gets you unlimited everything, including domains. And their CPanel is much better than Godaddy's stripped down controls, IMO.

iglidante on
  • Options
    Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I swapped to dreamhost about a year ago based on some recommendations I saw here, and I've been very happy with them.

Caramel Genocide on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    before I went to globat I had dreamhost and was never very happy with it. I think I will give hostgator a try though. It looks like a good one. Thanks for the advice guys.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    What problems did you have with dreamhost?

Just wondering what to watch out for, this is my first try with them.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What problems did you have with dreamhost?

Just wondering what to watch out for, this is my first try with them.

I recall it was just very slow. I was using an image database software called gallery that might have had something to do with the slowness but I remember checking others sites that were on the same software with dreamhost and they were running just fine.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on