As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Connectiong to Xbox Live through PC (SOLVED)

RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's the deal. I want to be able to use Xbox Live on my 360, but I can't justify 100 bucks for the wireless adapter, and I'm on the top level of the house (The router is in the basement). Putting holes and running network cable isn't an option. Neither is moving the router, because then my brother's 360 would have the same issue as mine. In my room, I have a laptop that's connected wirelessly to the internet. I was wondering if there was a way to use my laptop as a sort of wireless bridge for my 360.

RavynBlackheart on

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I asked this question a long time ago about a PS2 set up for a friend of mine. There is a simple way for windows to share an internet connection like that but apperantly it really only works for another computer. I couldn't get it going but I wouldn't be suprised if it worked with the 360. There should be some sort of wizard in your control panel.

edit : the option for "set up or change your home or small office network"
    It has a bullet for sharing a connection. Go for it.

Good luck.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    RepoMan1023RepoMan1023 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yes, you can use your laptop's wireless connection to run your 360 on Live. I did it last night. Firstly, you need a patch or cross over cable, not an ethernet cable. It looks like an ethernet cable and is the same size, but the wires at the ends are in a different order. Connect your 360 with the patch cable into the ethernet port of you laptop. Connect your laptop to your wireless network. Then go to Network Settings and select both the wireless network adapter and the LAN adapter. Then right click on it and select "Add to Bridge" or something like "Create Bridge." Then wait a few seconds for everything to get setup and connect to Live. It might help if you run the Live setup/connection test thing when you first connect through the bridge. It might be a bit slower than going through a straight cable connection and you may get dropped if your wireless connection goes too slow.

RepoMan1023 on
    splasersigqg6.jpg
    RepoMan1023.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I've been trying to do this all evening.

I try to enable connection sharing, but I get a message that the IP used for automatic addressing is being used or something.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SikarianSikarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I was able to set this up really easily. My 360 is in my room next to my laptop, and my laptop goes wireless to the WAP. Just get the crossover cable mentioned earlier and connect the two, then run the Network Setup Wizard with Windows XP (You can see it on the left side of your network connections page). Choose the option that says THis computer connects directly to the internet, and the other computers connect through it. Then you'll pick which connection GIVES you internet, most likely wireless, and on the next screen you pick which one to share, most likely Local Area Connection.

Takes a minute or two for the wizard to work, restart your computer, and viola. Xbox online.

Sikarian on
  • Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sikarian wrote:
    I was able to set this up really easily. My 360 is in my room next to my laptop, and my laptop goes wireless to the WAP. Just get the crossover cable mentioned earlier and connect the two, then run the Network Setup Wizard with Windows XP (You can see it on the left side of your network connections page). Choose the option that says THis computer connects directly to the internet, and the other computers connect through it. Then you'll pick which connection GIVES you internet, most likely wireless, and on the next screen you pick which one to share, most likely Local Area Connection.

Takes a minute or two for the wizard to work, restart your computer, and viola. Xbox online.

This is what I did a little while ago and works wonderfully! Thanks for the help guys!

RavynBlackheart on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Any way I can do this without spending more money?

Because I can apparently connect my laptop to the 360 just fine for the purposes of the media player, but no go on the actual internet connection.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    RepoMan1023RepoMan1023 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Any way I can do this without spending more money?

Because I can apparently connect my laptop to the 360 just fine for the purposes of the media player, but no go on the actual internet connection.
    All you really need is that patch/cross over cable. If you have a network hub lying around you can try to use it and normal ethernet cables instead of the cross over cable.
    360 -> hub -> laptop

I dunno if that will work though.

RepoMan1023 on
    splasersigqg6.jpg
    RepoMan1023.gif