As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 1080p/720p issues

LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm new to the PS3 world, and I've got an unxepected issue problem relating to video output.

My TV accepts all formats up to 1080P via HDMI. I set up the PS3 to run at 1080p. The XMB thing runs at 1080p. However, when I play either of the 2 games I have (Madden 10 or Assassin's Creed) it drops to 720p according to my TV. Madden specifically says that it runs in 1080p.

Did I miss a setting to make the PS3 play games in 1080p, or are some games falsely advertised as being 1080p when they are not?

LaPuzza on

• eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's a fairly well known issue with Madden 10.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »

Thanks. I did some Google adding Madden 10 into the mix and found my answer. Apparently 1080p is a common white lie on PS3 games. Glad I got a TV that does a good job of upconverting.

LaPuzza on
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For assassin's creed, I'm pretty sure it's only 720p. Just check the back of the box first.

Gilbert0 on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Almost all games render below 1080p, and its just a question of whether your TV or the PS3 does the upscaling.

Same goes for the Xbox 360, by the way.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »

It's a fairly known issue with all games. I can only think of 2 games so far on the newest generations that are "Full HD" the rest are just "HD" or 720p. Recently a lot of games are released that run in only 574p in order to cram more effects in there, and that's like...not HD at all.

Tbh, I felt kinda ripped off when I bought my PS3 and realized this, but my TV does a hell of a job upscaling so it's not too noticeable and I'm used to it I guess.

Movitz on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, apparently the Ps are decided by the developer...not sure why they'd lie about it though and say it's XTREME PS when...it isn't.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know how it works in the States, I heard it was a bit different there. But here they state the resolution on the back of the game boxes. So far all games I have says 720p so they're not exactly lying but it's still annoying since the TVs can handle much higher resolutions than the omgnextgenHDforthepeople!!! consoles.

Movitz on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The back of the box will show you that Assassin's Creed runs in both 720p and 1080i, but NOT 1080p. This was nice for me back when I had a TV that could only do 1080i, but not 720p (don't ask).

This 720p limitation comes as a surprise to many people, and that always confuses me. Go examine what a PS3 or XBox360 actually IS. Take the PS3. It has 256MB of system RAM, and 256MB of video RAM. That's it. Console diehards like to act like the PS3/360 have signaled the irrelevancy of PC gaming, but that is simply not the case. You can't output 1080p with the kind of power the PS3/360 have in games like Oblivion, etc. Particulary not at the full graphics options the PC versions of these games have.

However, and this comes up frequently in the TV thread in Moe's, you cannot realistically tell a difference between 720p and 1080p until you start talking about 50"+ TVs. Particularly if you sit a normal distance away from your TV. So the 720p is still pretty damn good for most of the market share of these consoles. For the graphics purists out there, the best graphical solution still remains a high-power gaming PC hooked up to a TV with HDMI. Cost effective? That's a subjective debate.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    The back of the box will show you that Assassin's Creed runs in both 720p and 1080i, but NOT 1080p. This was nice for me back when I had a TV that could only do 1080i, but not 720p (don't ask).

This 720p limitation comes as a surprise to many people, and that always confuses me. Go examine what a PS3 or XBox360 actually IS. Take the PS3. It has 256MB of system RAM, and 256MB of video RAM. That's it. Console diehards like to act like the PS3/360 have signaled the irrelevancy of PC gaming, but that is simply not the case. You can't output 1080p with the kind of power the PS3/360 have in games like Oblivion, etc. Particulary not at the full graphics options the PC versions of these games have.

However, and this comes up frequently in the TV thread in Moe's, you cannot realistically tell a difference between 720p and 1080p until you start talking about 50"+ TVs. Particularly if you sit a normal distance away from your TV. So the 720p is still pretty damn good for most of the market share of these consoles. For the graphics purists out there, the best graphical solution still remains a high-power gaming PC hooked up to a TV with HDMI. Cost effective? That's a subjective debate.

Yeah, people forget that the "next-gen" consoles are were built/designed with what was available 6-7 years ago. And even then they were limited by what would be cost effective to put in a $400 machine.

RUNN1NGMAN on