As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monitor goes idle during Windows XP Installation?

mistaLaimistaLai Registered User regular
Hi all,

I'm having a weird problem installating Windows XP. During the installation, my monitor would lose connection or go into sleep (the power light turns orange) and no matter what I do, it won't come back on. This originally happened only during the installation but now it happens much earlier in the process, such as when I boot into the CD. This only happens when I install a fresh Windows XP.

Does anyone know whats the cause/solution to this?

I can provide any information that might be needed.

mistaLai on

• Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do you have dual monitors? Possibly one being a TV that isn't always there, or even just two monitors set up to your computer while installing?

I only mention this because I had this problem when I was installing Windows 7. It would be set as my monitor as Default in Windows, but during installation default was my TV that is connected from DVI-HDMI. So, after it looked like it was done installing my monitor would just be black and i couldn't figure it out until I randomly turned my TV on and saw "Welcome to Windows 7". Which was pretty annoying considering I installed 3 times for the same reason.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • mistaLaimistaLai Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a single monitor.

I was wondering - could it have something to do with my video card? Maybe it was configured wrong inside? I suspect the video card is shutting down or just not feeding to the monitor. (Not sure if my terms are correct)

mistaLai on