Options

Dead mobo?

BaiconBaicon Registered User regular
I think my motherboard has died, but I'm not 100% sure.
While I was playing a game my monitor suddenly lost connection and my sound died. The power buttons on the front of my computer became unresponsive so I pulled the plug. I opened the side, everything is still connected but when I hit the power my CPU fan doesn't turn on and my monitor doesn't see a connection. I had just got an E7500 Core2Duo a few weeks back so I thought that might be the problem. I put in my old one as well as my old fan and still the same problem.

Specs:
Windows 7
Gigabyte GA-956P-DS3
E7500 Core2Duo
Geforce 8800GT
3gb DDR2 RAM

Just want to make sure that it is my mobo that needs to be replaced and not something else before I buy another one. Any thoughts?

Baicon on

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd personally be more inclined to think that your power supply is bonked

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you have another computer sitting around, the PSU can be fairly easily tested by just using that power supply. In most cases it's a very easy swap out, or if you're feeling lazy, simply unplug it from the one system and plug it in to the other with them side by side, though that only works if your cables are long enough.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you can also use a voltmeter to test it.... never done it myself, but saw some pages on the googles

Mr. Buttons on