As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - Recruitment finished, thanks to those who applied

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Watching the abominations fall to the ground lifeless he dashes south and takes aim at his own victim. He lets the arrow go.

Move to R4 and careful shot on Zombie at L4. Someone please make the roll for me.

Also, I will be on vacation starting tomorrow and lasting until Sunday. Not sure how internet will look, but since I'll be at the beach, I'll likely avoid the internet.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As Aieldar's arrow sinks into the forehead of another zombie Mindartis summons more flames from the earth, exploding amidst the sea of undead and sending gore in all directions.
    Aieldar's careful shot hits for 7 and kills the zombie at L4.

Standard action: Scorching Burst at I7.
    Attack rolls:

Miss: H8.
    Hit: I8, J7, I6, H7.

Kelor on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Akarr, not having the steam left to write a flourishing roleplay blurb about smashing zombie minions, pulls out his crossbow, moves to M6 and shoots the one at J7 in the face.

Basic Ranged Attack:1d20+3+1=15, HIT!

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As Valthrun sees the horde begin to lose interest in his tower, he glances away from his duel with the Wight and spots you cutting your way through the throng. Raising a hand palm up, he creates a bolt of lightning which he hurls down, transfixing the wight to the ground and hurling the zombies in every direction with the thunderclap of it's impact.
    Standard action: Lightning Pillar at G8. Burst 3, +10 vs Reflex, half damage on miss.
    Attack rolls: 15 hits, one critical miss D:
    Damage roll: 3d6+4 = 20. The Wight struck by the bolt is stunned till end of next turn and immobilised (Save ends)

The mindless zombies about Valthrun's tower continue to beat against his door, oblivious to destruction amongst them while the southern Wight hurls another death wreathed bolt against Samhradh who takes cover in the doorway of the inn, then begins to retreat over the bodies covering the ground out of sight.

The wight struck by lightning regains some sense of where it is but is unable to dispel the bolt of energy holding it in place.
    Deathlock Wight B
    Standard action: Grave Bolt against Samhradh.

Attack roll: 1d20+6 vs Reflex = 16. Miss.
    Movement action: Move to H9.

Deathlock Wight A
    Saving throw vs Immobilised = 4. Failed.

Stats:
    Nex
    HP 29/29
    AC: 20 Fort: 13 Reflex: 18 Will: 17

Akarr:
    HP 37/37
    AC: 19 Fort: 16 Reflex: 15 Will: 16

Thud:
    HP 38/38
    AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 17

Samhradh:
    HP 46/50
    AC: 19 Fort: 18 Reflex: 17 Will: 15

Mindartis:
    HP 19/29 (Immobilised)
    AC; 18 Fort; 12 Reflex; 17 Will; 15

Aieldar:
    HP 36/36
    AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 17 Will: 15

Ubashu:
    HP 30/30
    AC: 18 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 18

Pack Zombie
    HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion
    AC 14; Fortitude 14; Reflex 10; Will 11
    Immune disease, poison
    Pack Attack - A pack of zombies gains a +2 bonus to its attack roll if it is adjacent to at least one other pack zombie.
    Slam • At-Will: +8 vs. AC - Hit: 4 damage.
    Lurching Sacrifice • Encounter (Immediate Interrupt): This power triggers automatically when a nonminion ally adjacent to a pack zombie is hit by a melee attack. The pack zombie is destroyed, and the damage dealt to the ally is reduced by 5.

Deathlock Wight A (G8)
    HP 44/54 (Immobilised)
    AC 18; Fortitude 15; Reflex 16; Will 17
    Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic; Vulnerability 5 radiant
    Claw (necrotic) • At-Will: +9 vs. AC. Hit: 1d6 + 1 necrotic damage, and the target loses 1 healing surge.
    Grave Bolt (necrotic) • At-Will: Ranged 20; +6 vs. Reflex. Hit: 1d6 + 4 necrotic damage, and the target is immobilized (save ends).
    Horrific Visage (fear) • Recharge 4,5,6: Close blast 5; +7 vs. Will. Hit: 1d6 + 1 damage, and the target is pushed 3 squares.

Deathlock Wight B (I4)
    HP 54/54
    AC 18; Fortitude 15; Reflex 16; Will 17
    Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic; Vulnerability 5 radiant
    Claw (necrotic) • At-Will: +9 vs. AC. Hit: 1d6 + 1 necrotic damage, and the target loses 1 healing surge.
    Grave Bolt (necrotic) • At-Will: Ranged 20; +6 vs. Reflex. Hit: 1d6 + 4 necrotic damage, and the target is immobilized (save ends).
    Horrific Visage (fear) • Recharge 4,5,6: Close blast 5; +7 vs. Will. Hit: 1d6 + 1 damage, and the target is pushed 3 squares.

Map:
    WinterhavenRound4.jpg

Features:
    Steady Light: Between the light of the stars and torches spread throughout the village you need no aid to fight the creatures.

Up Next: The crew + newcomer! On Deck: The Walking Dead

Kelor on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thud, seeing Zombies begin to drop left, right and centre is determined not to miss out on all the fun.

"Bah! Wizards both to and fro be stealing all o' me fun!!" Thud cries, "I'll not have it!" charging forwards towards one of the Deathlock Wights. Thud's mighty Distrupting Craghammer, as if sensing the pounding which was to come, flared up with radiant energy. Thud's brutal right to left blow cracked against the wights skull, caving in half of it and spinning the foul beasts head right around on its neck! A killing blow for sure on anything that wasn't already dead. Thud stared for a moment, agape.

Amazed the the undead creature wasn't destroyed, Thud plants his feet wide apart and raises his hammer high above his head. "By Moradin's itchy arse, I command ye to DIE!!!" A surge of radiant energy builds up in the hammerhead and then is released in one mighty pulse. The light reaches out 10' from the dwarf's position, blasting away the zombies and one of the wights. Picking up and hurling the undead flesh clear across the square.

Thud smiles. And then reaches around to scratch his own backside. Moradin surely approves!

Move: Position for a Charge...End Turn in G7
    Standard: MBA Charge Attack vs. Deathlock Wight(G8) CRIT!!! for 17+8 = 25 + 5 (Radiant Vulnerability) = 30pts of damage!!!

Action Point!!

Turn Undead!!! (1d20+6 vs. Will)

Zombie E9: DEAD! Damage = 15pts to all + radiant vulnerability
    Wight H9: 14 - Miss! It still takes 10pts of damage though...
    Wight G8: HIT & DEAD!!! (whew!)
    Zombie E7: DEAD!
    Zombie F7: Critically DEAD!!
    Zombie H6: DEAD!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Charging the stunned warlock, Samhradh comes to an abrupt stop, using his sword in the bitch as an impromptu brake.
    Charge to H8. Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+8 24 1d8+4 11

Vanguard Weapon: 1d8 6 for the Vanguard weapon, dealing 17 dmg Total.

Mark the wights.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Ah, yes, that would be a sufficient hole." Smiling, Nex dashes forward into the fray, determined to finish off that nearby Wight no matter what. He moves forward [J6], then sends a mental shockwave at the Wight which misses, badly. Undeterred, the now solidified Nex drops another shroud on the Wight [3 now], burns his stored energy [AP], and teleports directly next to him [H10, Flank with Samdarah], invoking the shrouds and stabbing out with his sword [Inescapable Shadow]. Sadly, this attack also bricks (*****), though the shrouds still do 9 residual damage to the creature.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I just reread Turn Undead. It does half damage on a miss! That Wight (H9) should have taken 10 pts of damage! Edited my post above.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Akarr continues his advance, pulling around to the side of a building and backing against it for cover as he looses another bolt at the remaining zombies.

Move to K8

Basic Ranged Attack at Zombie K4
    1d20+4=13, HIT

Scosglen on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The collection of crystals ambles over to the pack of zombies. It raises its hand, and once again, tendrils of light streak out towards the undead. Two dissolve immediately, and the Wight is hit in the face by the attack.

Move to K7. Hand of Radiance against F10, F11, and the Wight. Hits everyone, critically hitting the Wight. The zombies dissolve, and the Wight takes (9 + 1) 10 force damage.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Farangu wrote: »
    ...10 force damage.

? Doesn't Hand of Radiance do Radiant Damage? That'd be some f***ed-up false advertising right there if not...

susan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mindartis follows behind the rest of the party as they clear Winterhaven's main road of undead. Directing his staff at the weakened remaining wight a bolt of energy lances out and blows the back of it's chest out. An arrow flies over the eladrin's shoulder as Aieldar scores a hit and removes another of the zombies.

Only two of the beasts remain and they shamble towards Samhradh, one in front of him, the other to his side. He parries the first's clumsy attempts, but the second manages to land a blow on his arm that he feels even through the thick hide.
    Zombie Pack A
    Move to G8. (Provoking an attack of opportunity from Thud)
    Chomp on Samhradh.

Attack roll: 1d20+8 vs AC = 15. Miss.

Zombie Pack B
    Shift to I7
    Chomp on Samhradh.

Attack roll: 1d20+8 vs AC = 28. Crits for 4 damage.

Steel you beast!

You have been terribly unlucky with rolls the last couple of fights Susan. If the opportunity attack hits I'll remove that but you guys should have this wrapped up after this round.

Stats:
    Nex
    HP 29/29
    AC: 20 Fort: 13 Reflex: 18 Will: 17

Akarr:
    HP 37/37
    AC: 19 Fort: 16 Reflex: 15 Will: 16

Thud:
    HP 38/38
    AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 17

Samhradh:
    HP 42/50
    AC: 19 Fort: 18 Reflex: 17 Will: 15

Mindartis:
    HP 19/29 (Immobilised)
    AC; 18 Fort; 12 Reflex; 17 Will; 15

Aieldar:
    HP 36/36
    AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 17 Will: 15

Ubashu:
    HP 30/30
    AC: 18 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 18

Pack Zombie
    HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion
    AC 14; Fortitude 14; Reflex 10; Will 11
    Immune disease, poison
    Pack Attack - A pack of zombies gains a +2 bonus to its attack roll if it is adjacent to at least one other pack zombie.
    Slam • At-Will: +8 vs. AC - Hit: 4 damage.
    Lurching Sacrifice • Encounter (Immediate Interrupt): This power triggers automatically when a nonminion ally adjacent to a pack zombie is hit by a melee attack. The pack zombie is destroyed, and the damage dealt to the ally is reduced by 5.

Map:
    WinterhavenRound5.jpg

Features:
    Steady Light: Between the light of the stars and torches spread throughout the village you need no aid to fight the creatures.

Up Next: The crew On Deck: The Walking Dead

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am to please...(and thank the dice gods for crits when they count)

Seeing an opportunity, Thud lashes out at the zombie...and makes it go splat!

MBA vs. Zombie = Splat!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    susan wrote: »
    Farangu wrote: »
    ...10 force damage.

? Doesn't Hand of Radiance do Radiant Damage? That'd be some f***ed-up false advertising right there if not...

It does, but my extra die for a crit does force damage and I got lazy.

On a side note, I'm taking an out of town trip yet again. My grandparents aren't doing too well, and everybody figures this'll be the last time I see them. I'll post when I can, but if that's too slow, feel free to roll for me.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As Thud dispatches one zombie, Akarr lines up a shot over Samhradh's shoulder and fires the bolt into the final shambling abomination, knocking it to the ground with a direct hit.

Basic Ranged Attack at G8 Zombie
    1d20+4=12, HIT

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As Akarr finishes the last of the undead cries of pain mixed with cheers of relief can be heard coming from some of the building and behind the gates of Lord Padraig's house where most of the citizens seem to have fled to escape.

At the top of his tower you can see Valthrun smile in greeting, then indicates to visit him when you have a moment. As what remains of the guard comes out to ensure that the undead are....dead a well dressed noble and a elven featured nun quickly move to ensure that the wounded are being cared for. Once this task is taken care of the move to greet you...

"We are most grateful for your intervention travellers. Others would perhaps have waited for the creatures to be killed or passed by entirely and your aid is most welcome." Sticking a hand out he shakes your hands warmly, though you can feel iron in his grip. "I am Lord Padraig and this is Sister Linora, head of our chapel here." He surveys the group, taking you in before realisation crosses his features. "Wait, would you be the adventurers that Valthrun spoke to me of? You were to investigate the old keep on the hill correct?"

Sister Linora moves about you, tending the minor wounds you have taken. Arriving at Mindartis she inspects the lightly sweating Eladrin. Frowning, she takes his arm, rolling up the sleeve to inspect the point where the Wight's bolt struck. The skin is black, as though bruised but sinister lines streak up and down his veins. "My lord, we had best treat this one now. The wound is not severe but the energies eat away at his body."

Congratulations, you're due for another level! As well as reaching level four you may also take an Expertise feat for free. Or if you've already taken one feel free to grab a feat of your choice.

Sister Linora will cure what ails you :winky: so you may be healed to full without having to expend any surges.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Woo Hoo! Except that I only have the CB demo....now things get tricky...

Does Sister Linora get drunk and fancy heroic & macho, yet pious, dwarves? :P

What happened to Mindartis?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No, she is definitely more into trees.

Also, Mindratis had to step out, so I'm guessing he going to go like that one dude in Cloverfield.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh, I know about the player...I'm suddenly much more interested in black shit running through his characters veins!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I hadnt even thought of that...

Brody on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Kelor: When we initially did the "respeccing" at level 3 I had wanted to move one point from CON to STR, but I accidently uploaded a version of my character that had his original unchanged stats and didn't realize until a bit later, at which point I just rolled with it.

Do you mind if I shift those points around now, or shall I work with what I've got?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Finally back from the road trip; I'll begin updating to level 4.

The strange hunk of crystal moved over to the adventuring group. Then it began to talk. Those who could hear could almost swear the voice was coming from inside their own heads.

"Pardon me for intruding. I was merely trying to end the situation as...quickly as possible. May I be so bold as to join you for..."

He searched for the right word.

"...dinsup? I wish to speak with you."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Kelor: When we initially did the "respeccing" at level 3 I had wanted to move one point from CON to STR, but I accidently uploaded a version of my character that had his original unchanged stats and didn't realize until a bit later, at which point I just rolled with it.

Do you mind if I shift those points around now, or shall I work with what I've got?

Go for it. The same for anyone else, since we are going through another party restructuring or if you want to nab something out of one of the new Dragon articles feel free.

Steel, or anyone else who doesn't have a DDI sub just let me know and I'll either post all the powers for that level. You also get to give two stats of your choice +1 at this level and another feat.

Since there are so many feats to choose from it might be worth looking at one of the class articles on the Wizards community forums (I don't have the link now but can do so later if you want) or I can post their list of recommended ones.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh, I've got the PHB and stuff, so making a 4th level character is not a problem. It was the hosting of the sheet and making the rolls and whatnot thru Orokos that was going to be tricky.

But not any more! I have gratefully accepted an offer to piggyback on someone else's DDi sub to get a full version of the CB. Thud will be updated shortly!

Edit: Thud is now updated!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Silly question, does anyone know how to add the free expertise feat in the character builder?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    In the Feats section, there's a button that kinda looks like a tiny house above your listed feats that will let you 'House'rule in feats :) . I'll post an updated Nex soon...

susan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ubashu is updated.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    One of Padraig's aides comes over the group and at his lord's instruction aids Mindartis in the direction his house, the nun following shortly behind. "I'll have your friend treated at my own house in the guest room. Sister Linora is a most gifted healer and should have him back on his feet in short order."

"You have my utmost thanks adventurers and I will be sure to thank you properly in short order, but I must see about my town and having these bodies cleared out before the bodies begin to rot further."

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "So!" Thud says, as well wishes are exchanged with Mindartis and the elf is seen on way. "All this killing of the dead works up a hunger and a thirst, and I ain't had me a drink o' the holy waters in days! And we can find out why a hunk o' crystal is talking to us! Ha!" Thud peers at the newcomer, squints really, "As long as yer buyin' the first round!! Onwards!!"

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The shardmind blinks, and turns its head quizzically.

"Forgive me, but what is the context of...round? Are we going somewhere spherical?"
    data_laugh.gif

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thud stops in the middle of the street and looks at the shardmind with wonder. First, wondering what in the nine hells this thing is. And second, how could it possibly not know what a round of drinks is?

"Well. You seem not to be very smart, my new friend. Its not yer fault, yer a giant piece o' quartz. I'll tell you what, its much easier fer me ta show you what a round o' drinks is like, than it is to tell ya. So as long as ye've got the coin ta pay, I've got the time ta preach. C'mon!"

Thud waves everyone onwards towards the tavern.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "He's always preaching, but he doesn't have much grace, which from all the other preachers I've heard is very important."

Samhradh whispers in the shardminds ear as he follows Thud to the tavern. Not that Samhradh really knows what a round is either, but he had long ago realized that it was easier to observe than always ask questions.

Brody on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    The inside of Wraftons is warm, cosy and full of alchohol, everything you need after a long day of butchering goblins and the undead. Sylvana and a few of the less inebriated regulars are in the process of returning the tables to their normal places on the tavern floor after using them to barricade the stout wooden door.

A cheer goes up as you step through the doors and regular at the bar raises his tankard up in salute as you enter. "To the saviours....saviour.....hic.....OF WINTERHAVEN!" Throwing the mug back to empty it he manages to overbalance on his stool and goes toppling backwards onto the floor in a heap, then begins to snore loudly. As the remainder begin to eye the party, which has become even more unusual in the last twenty four hours a barmaid notices Splug and lets out a scream of terror.

Sorry for the late update guys, I've had birthday stuff over the last few days. Will get more consistent now.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Happy Birthday!!!

"Ha ha!!" Thud shouts, raising his arms to accept the praise of the townspeople, and loving the drunken buffoonery. "That we are! And we are thirsty!!"

When the screaming starts, Thud genuinely looks suprised until he remembers Splug and holds out placating hands. "OI! None of that now. This here gobbo...well, I almost smashed him meself I did. But it turns out that he ain't a bad sort. He's our guide in the ruins. Give him a chance, you'll be suprised!"

(As an aside to Splug: "Don't ye be makin' us look bad now, Splug. We're sticking our beards our fer ye.")

Once the group is settled and drinks are ordered, preferrably at a round table, Thud turns to the newcomer and explains exactly what a round of drinks is. "Now, ye wanted to ask us something?"

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The shardmind nodded eagerly.

"My name is Ubashu. I am a shardmind; a sentient piece of The Living Gate, that... separated this realm from the Far Realm. All shardminds are. When we die, these crystals go back to become the gate once more, taking the...knowledge of this world that we have learned with them. Many shardminds are eager to learn all they can about one...particular area of this world. I am too.

I wish to know all there is about...death. Hearing stories of this...Raven Queen, she is quite fascinating. I wish to know more about it. I wish to see it. I wish to cause it.

When you arrived in the middle of that zombie...uprising, I saw how easily you handled yourselves. You must be in those...situations quite a lot. If that is true, then I wish to travel with you until such a time I deem necessary. You could be most...helpful."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thud raises an eyebrow and looks at Ubashu over the rim of his mug. "So, yer a piece of a living gate. Made outta crystals, from somewhere far far away. Alright. And ye want to travel with us, to learn about death?" Thud shakes his head and puts down his empty mug of ale. He waves the wench over with a fresh pitcher and pours a himself a new one.

"Thats...new. Most adventurers seek treasure and glory! Most o'em try to avoid death, I sure'n as hells am! HA! Well, listen ye seem like a decent sort o' rock, and I already travel with a tree." Thud remarks, jerking a friendly thumb in Samhradh's direction. "Whats one other strange thing. What say the rest of you, lads?"

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Really? No other comments from the crew? OK...

Kelor....ONWARDS!!!

!Ready

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ready

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay, I'll have one for you shortly then guys. I received a PM from Ryadic that he's had his shift changed to a very late one and that he won't be able to continue with us, but have already lined up another striker so we won't have to wait for a recruiting drive.

Thanks for playing with us Ryadic!

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ready! Sheet has been updated in my Signature :) .

susan on