As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Space Heater

Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I guess I had a while before having to worry about this stuff, but it's 35 degrees outside now, and it feels the same indoors as well. My roommates told me they don't want to turn the heat on until at least after Thanksgiving, but it's okay to get a space heater for my room.

I was reading about the types of heaters online, but I'm not sure which kind would be best. My room is pretty big, I guess about 400 feet. So I guess I need to find a way to heat only part of it, or find a heater that is powerful to heat the whole room. Does anyone have suggestions?

Edit: Also, I was wondering if those window shrink wrap things will come off cleanly in the spring? It looks like a good idea...

Pure Din on

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Space heaters are very inefficient. I would ask your roommates to reconsider. Especially for a big room.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Your roommates can either pay for the 1500 watts the space heater is going to be sucking down or pay for the damn heat.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Heat is always expensive. Some forms are cheaper than others, mostly because they're more efficient. I had this issue last year when I didn't want to pay the $500 to keep my 'stove oil' tank filled and use the oil heater that came with the house, so instead thought I'd skate by with an electric wall heater that was also installed in the house. Well not only did that hardly keep the house above freezing, it also fucked my wallet thoroughly. So this year I ponied up the money early for 'stove oil', which turned out to be plain kerosene, and while it's still a big chunk of change, it lasts longer, keeps the house actually warm, and is very enjoyable.

Convince your roomies to turn on the heat, possibly paying for a bigger share until after Thanksgiving? Otherwise, if you were to use like a rolling oil heater, all you guys will still be paying higher electricity.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like electric heaters. $15 bucks and I have a warm room to sleep in.

I don't use it for more than 30 minutes anyway. Just enough to get the room warm then it's off.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just another consideration.

Every space heater I have ever seen or used has given me the distinct impression that it had somehow burnt my air. I would prefer death via impalement upon a slowly forming ice stalagmite in a cold cave of despair over the sickly-sweet smell of the dead air that emanates from one of these horrible horrible devices.

that said, the only form of heat I've ever really found comfortable was my childhood home's hot water radiator boards.

I miss those.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, space heaters dry the fuck out the air, since it's basically a fan put behind wires under a mostly controlled short circuit.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can get weather strips for your window if it doesn't seal properly but personally I would just turn on the heat and tell them to suck it. If they have a problem with heating the apt I'd tell them I'm moving out as it being unreasonably cold in the apt is a good reason to break a lease.

Electric heaters are great if your room is a bit chilly but they are not meant to heat a full room in near freezing weather. Shrink wrapping your window, unless your window is really drafty, it won' make a big difference in terms of the space heater working better. If you get one your electric bill will go through the roof though. As for the dry air, I have this issue in my apt because the building is steam heat so I bought a humidifier for my bedroom and that solves the problem.

Also, if you don't turn it on and your pipes freeze/burst your landlord will anally violate all of you. You will be liable for the damage and that shit won't be cheap. Just turn the damn heat on.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    First, you're in Providence. Waiting until Thanksgiving until you turn the heat on is patently ridiculous.

Second, just set the thermostat at a reasonable level and tell your roommates to suck it. Put it at 68 or something, and explain that's a very reasonable and cost-efficient thermostat setting for during the day, and explain that the weather really doesn't give a fuck what month it is, cold is cold.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Yeah, space heaters dry the fuck out the air, since it's basically a fan put behind wires under a mostly controlled short circuit.

you can get oil or water based space heaters as well that look just like plug in radiators. they look like this:

631442202.jpg

edit: oh, and plastic your windows if they are old or single paned. they sell kits at home depot.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »

you can get oil or water based space heaters as well that look just like plug in radiators. they look like this:

631442202.jpg

edit: oh, and plastic your windows if they are old or single paned. they sell kits at home depot.

i second the oil filled heater suggestion... they're cheap ($30-40 for a basic one), and safe, i.e. they don't have a red-hot exposed element that can set something on fire

you will have to pay for the electricity, however... but if your roomies split the bills, fuck em... live nice and toasty while they pay part of the cost :D

illig on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, there can never be enough sweaters and blankets. You better not be wearing shorts and shivering!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, there can never be enough sweaters and blankets. You better not be wearing shorts and shivering!

For me, the biggest problem is my hands. I wear gloves some of the time, but it's hard as well to cook, eat, and type with those things on.

Anyway, my roommate is trying a similar thing by buying space heaters and using them to keep the apartment at 60 degrees without having to touch the thermostat. I'm guessing this is going to end poorly for him? Luckily, he's the only one who pays utilities.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Also, I have a good down comforter that keeps me toasty at night.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

For me, the biggest problem is my hands. I wear gloves some of the time, but it's hard as well to cook, eat, and type with those things on.

Anyway, my roommate is trying a similar thing by buying space heaters and using them to keep the apartment at 60 degrees without having to touch the thermostat. I'm guessing this is going to end poorly for him? Luckily, he's the only one who pays utilities.

From what I've gathered in this thread, he'll just end up paying more for electricity instead of gas.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you're going to go with the space heater, I second the vote for the plug-in radiator ones. They work very well.

Hachface on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    If it were below 69.8 degrees F in the main living areas of my apartment during the day, I would call the residential tenancies board here and they'd send an inspector. They'd take a reading, and if it verified what I'd claimed, they would give the landlord 24 hours to turn on the heat. They'd take another reading 24 hours later, and if it failed that threshhold, they'd start to institute fines based on the number of apartments in my building. These can be around $1000 per day. Per apartment.

This would be true completely regardless of what the date was. I had to get an inspector to explain to a previous landlord that they didn't give two shits what the date was, and that cold is cold and that's not livable.

In short, I do not believe that it is unreasonable for you to turn on the fucking heat. Your roommates are being ridiculous, and they will pay far more to run your space heater than they would to run a proper heater.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »
    In short, I do not believe that it is unreasonable for you to turn on the fucking heat. Your roommates are being ridiculous, and they will pay far more to run your space heater than they would to run a proper heater.

I spent the summer with a family that would turn on the swamp cooler and then set up a complex set of baffles in order to ... well I don't know what the fuck they were doing. My novel idea of setting up a "tunnel" in which cold air would move from the cooler, to your person, and then out a window was promptly shot down, as anything that violently cold was obviously costing a mint. The fact that air was actually leaving the house was all the proof they needed that my frigid contraption was the most inefficient and ridiculous thing anyone had ever seen.

I am still blamed for the four hundred dollar August electricity bill.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1. As has been previously stated, your roommates are sadly ignorant if they believe that letting you use a space heater is a good way for them to save energy and cost. It's not.

2. If you guys are splitting the electricity/gas bill anyway, and you feel you'll use the space heater in the future, then go ahead and buy an oil/water-based heater. Just make sure you think long-term and look at the energy it uses and the amount of space you'll actually need to cover.

3. If you're feeling particularly adventurous, you could try to educate your roommates? I don't see why anyone would feel like it's a good deal to pay $40 more per month just to heat up your room, when they could just pay $20 to heat up the entire place... Then again, people can be ridiculously stubborn sometimes.

Inquisitor77 on
This discussion has been closed.