As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

YOU CAN'T RUN FROM ME SHANG! [NEW MK MOVIE INCOMING]

QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
edited March 2016 in Social Entropy++
mk1.jpg
MORTAL KOMBAT

Truly a great film, not like that piece of shit sequel.
Based on the popular fighting video game. Mortal Kombat is a tournament where fighters duel to a death match. A sorcerer from another world named Shang Tsung invites some of the world's best fighters to compete in the tournament, along with them comes characters such as Liu Kang, Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade. They must defeat Shang Tsung to change the fate of the world otherwise all hope is lost. The fate of the universe will be decided as it should be, in MORTAL KOMBAT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT4nmnr6fWk
mk17.jpg
It has begun!

So let's check out the Kombatants, huh?
mk15.jpg
Robin Shou as Liu Kang
Liu's trying to avenge his kid brother's death at the hands of Shang Tsung. Shou's actually a decent actor and kicks all sorts of ass. He would go on to star in Beverly Hills Ninja and that other Street Fighter movie. I've got a friend who worked on the special effects for MK and she said that he threw awesome parties. Brandon Lee was also originally cast as Johnny Cage, but died before production began.

mk3.jpg
Linden Ashby as Johnny Cage
Johnny's trying to reignite his movie career and mack on Sonya. Linden's career resembles Johnny's now, and not only did he not return for the sequel but his character is killed in the first five minutes. Jean-Claude Van Damme turned down the role of Johnny Cage to do Street Fighter. Spielberg was also set to make a cameo appearance as the director in Johnny Cage's first scene. However scheduling conflicts forced him to back out.

mk11.jpg
Bridgette Wilson as Sonya Blade
Sonya just wants to kill Kano and not get macked on by Johnny. Cameron Diaz was originally set to play Sonya Blade, but she broke her wrist before filming and was replaced by Bridgette.

mk12.jpg
Talisa Soto as Princess Kitana
Nothing like the game, she's just here to look pretty and give cryptic messages to Liu Kang in the middle of fights. She came back for the sequel and has done barely anything since then, but still looks freaking hot.

raiden5.jpg
Christopher Lambert as Lord Raiden/Rayden
FUCK YEAH. Raiden guides the good guys, laughs at random moments and makes lighting appear from his eyes and fingers. Lambert and Tagawa are what make this film so watchable. Lambert's also the reason why the sequel sucked since he didn't come back. IMDB also says he's an avid gamer in real life!

mk8.jpg
some guy as Art Lean
This guy has no point being in the movie except for getting his ass kicked by Goro.

mk4.jpg
Trevor Goddard as Kano
Kano's an awesome Australian hitman who wants to kill/bang Sonya but is killed by a bad pun. Goddard was fairly sucessful after this but died in 2003. Apparently he was so awesome in the movie that they changed Kano's bio in the games to be Australian.

mk6.jpgmk7.jpgmk10.jpg
stunt guys as Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile
Scorpion is sliced open by a shield and spurts out orangle blood AND THEN EXPLODES. Sub-Zero is impaled by a giant icicle, and Liu-Kang kicks Reptile so hard that he turns into bugs. They're all pretty awesome fights tho.

mk9.jpg
Stop motion puppet as Prince Goro
Goro is the guy you fight before Shang Tsung. Johnny Cage punches him in the balls after he breaks his $500 sunglasses. All kidding aside, Goro didn't look that bad in the movie.

mk5.jpg
Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang-Tsung
He eats souls. Tagawa, along with Lambert, MAKE this movie. He's actually been really sucessful with stuff and apparently he's playing Heihachi in the Tekken movie.

mk14.jpg
Shao Khan
Yeah he shows up at the end to set up a sequel where he's played by a black guy.
mk2.jpg
Pretty awesome, huh?

So how'd this baby do at the BO...
Mortal Kombat opened on August 18, 1995, and cruised into the top box-office spot with $23 million, nearly eight times the amount of the only other new release that weekend, The Baby-Sitters Club. At the time, it was also the second-highest August opening after 1993's The Fugitive. MK enjoyed a three-week stay at number one, grossed roughly $70 million in the U.S., and earned an estimated $122 million worldwide, while the soundtrack went platinum in less than two weeks. MK was also the first major success for a video game-movie adaptation, following the critical and financial disappointments of Super Mario Bros., Double Dragon, and Street Fighter.
I own the soundtrack.

mk16.jpg

But wait, aren't they making a sequel?
Production on a second sequel, titled Mortal Kombat: Devastation, was initially scheduled to commence shortly after the release of Annihilation, but it was shelved due to Annihilation's poor box-office performance. It consequently remained stagnant in preproduction for over a decade, including being mired in development hell for a number of years with numerous script rewrites and story changes, along with the destruction of New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina, which greatly affected one of the shooting locations. No information about the production exists on the official MK website produced by Threshold Entertainment, which has not been updated since 2004.

In June 2009, a bankruptcy court lawsuit saw Lawrence Kasanoff suing Midway, mentioning that a third film was in the works. However, Warner Bros. had bought most of Midway's assets, including Mortal Kombat, the next month. Chris Casamassa later reported that he would reprise his role as Scorpion and that filming would begin in September of the same year. Linden Ashby, who played Johnny Cage in the first film, stated in an interview on Soap Talk that he read the script and will reprise the role.
WHAT THE? DIDN'T YOU DIE?

mk13.jpg
MORE KOMBAT A'COMING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWExzxHp-cM&feature=related
Yeah the whole movie's on youtube

AND MORE KOMBAT IS A'COMING!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk&feature=player_embedded

QuestionMarkMan on

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I DON'T NEED TO RUN

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh my god.

This movie was my childhood.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Isn't the new one supposed to be a reboot anyway though?

edit: also this fucking theme song is the best

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OH
    SHIT
    A NEW ONE

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    I remember being so disappointed he didn't have to fight a shadowclone of himself as the second part of the final challenge.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The trailer is so awesome at the end when the guy announces the names

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    god this is the best fucking movie

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I had the biggest crush on the girl who played Sonya

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That was a $500 pair of sunglasses, asshole.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    YOU'RE
    NEXT

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    you forgot to mention that when Scorpion dies he EXPLODES

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Goro was amazing

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I love that crazy fight Liu Kang has with that black guy who roars like a lion

so weird

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This is the part where you fall down

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    you forgot to mention that when Scorpion dies he EXPLODES
    fixed that shit

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That was a $500 pair of sunglasses, asshole.

Fuck you, I was going to post this.

Kano was the best part of this film, goddamn. He was perfect.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MOOOOOORTAAAAAAAAAL KOOOOOOOOMBAAAAAAAT!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    USE THE ELEMENT THAT GIVES LIFE

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I hope the tekken movie is this exact mix of cheesy and badass

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I want to order like three pizzas and just sit and watch this, DOA, and The One all night long.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    USE THE ELEMENT THAT GIVES LIFE

Water!

Water brings life!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Mortal Kombat soundtrack was the best.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I want to order like three pizzas and just sit and watch this, DOA, and The One all night long.

Was DOA any good

Like, even in the Mortal Kombat vein

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    mk18.jpg

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I somehow manage to watch this movie every single year on accident like clockwork

Squall on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This was the first movie I saw with Christopher Lambert and I thought he was the coolest dude.

I saw MK: Annihlation in theaters and was SO pissed they replaced Raiden

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Was DOA any good

Like, even in the Mortal Kombat vein

I enjoyed it quite a bit

the actual fights were less exciting due to the fact that none of them involved demons or snake-men or ice ninjas

but then you had a lot of women running around half naked

so I feel it evens out

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man, like two or three years ago I was getting really excited 'cause I kept hearing a lot of shit about a new Mortal Kombat movie.

And all these wonderful rumors like the original cast coming back, including Christopher Lambert.

All this information, of course, coming from these shady-ass websites that looked like they were made on Geocities back in the '90s.

Also check out the site: http://www.mortalkombat.com/

They haven't updated that site since before MK: Deception came out.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This remains my favorite video game film

It delivers everything that it promises

Everything being MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAT

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm somewhat surprised Yoshimitsu is in the Tekken movie

I need to see how they pulled him off

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles Times called it "a martial arts action-adventure with wondrous special effects and witty production design [that] effectively combines supernatural terror, a mythical slay-the-dragon, save-the-princess odyssey and even a spiritual quest for self-knowledge."

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also god damn the theme song rules

I don't know how they managed to make it so catchy

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I would so buy a Mortal Kombat game with Lambert voicing Raiden

why haven't they done this

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't remember who called it such

But I know that on the cover of the VHS and DVD it is quoted as a "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Action Flick!"

Also on the VHS there were trailers for The Lawnmower Man 2, Seven, and a horrifying commercial for Mortal Kombat 3.

I watched it a lot when I was a kid.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I remember watching the main titles with the 3D dragon logo and all the fire erupting out of it thinking that it was the coolest thing ever

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    holy shit Annihlation is on youtube too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULdxUiD-x_M

Even though it's HORRIBLE, Jax's one-liners are hilarious

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't remember who called it such

But I know that on the cover of the VHS and DVD it is quoted as a "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Action Flick!"

Also on the VHS there were trailers for The Lawnmower Man 2, Seven, and a horrifying commercial for Mortal Kombat 3.

I watched it a lot when I was a kid.

I remember that Lawnmower Man trailer!

I had no idea what the fuck was going on because I had never heard of the first Lawnmower Man movie

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I sent Redeemer Mortal Kombat: Annihilation for his birthday one year because he mentioned it was one of the cheesiest movies he had ever seen. There is some scene where the lady jumps down in her purple swimsuit that he loves.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles Times called it "a martial arts action-adventure with wondrous special effects and witty production design [that] effectively combines supernatural terror, a mythical slay-the-dragon, save-the-princess odyssey and even a spiritual quest for self-knowledge."

This guy probably works at Target now.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif