As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TV antenna tips?

Nohbody8Nohbody8 Registered User regular
DirecTV doesn't offer local channels through the satellite in my area so we had to get an antenna. Got what I thought was a pretty nice one from Best Buy, set it up, and it worked...at first. Now it seems like it's up in the air from day to day whether it's gonna work or not. Part of the problem seems to be the digital nature of the new broadcasts in that you either get all of the broadcast or none of it so I'm having a hard time tuning it in. I'll find a place and it'll work one day and not the next. Any tips or suggestions aside from moving the antenna all over the place?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "We're the middle children of history, man."
Nohbody8 on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Higher up = better.

In fact, a rooftop outdoor antenna is best.

However, if there's any way you can put an antenna with a pre-amp (or possibly without, depending on distance) on the top floor of your building (or in an attic), that would be better than having it in your living room, assuming your living room is on the ground floor.

If that's not possible, find out where your local transmitters are. This site may help, though it's not ALWAYS accurate. It's been spot-on at my last two locations, though.

Anyway, once you know where all your transmitters are (if you're lucky, they're clustered together), you can position the antenna so that it's got a view out a window at them. Also, make sure the TV (or any other device that produces a lot of interference...refrigerator, whatever) isn't between the antenna and the transmitters.

Good luck! In my case I was able to pretty easily position my antenna to get every network except FOX...oddly, FOX had the closest transmitter but there's a mountain right behind my house between it and me. So, cable it was......

mcdermott on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nohbody8 just to be sure, what does your antenna look like? Two bunny ears sticking up? A circle of wire? Something else?

wonderpug on