Baconaise

The name itself is making me gag.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am a huge fan of a good cheddar, and I find Dubliner Irish Cheddar to be king amongst them.

Picked this up at Trader Joe's one time. Stuff's delicious.

Havelock on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So being an Oregonian all I eat about is Tillamook cheese. How do their cheeses rank up? Also a huge fan of bleu cheese. So fucking good. A little bleu cheese on top of a slightly medium mostly rare steak is amazing.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Havelock wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am a huge fan of a good cheddar, and I find Dubliner Irish Cheddar to be king amongst them.

Picked this up at Trader Joe's one time. Stuff's delicious.

I'm a huge fan of cheddar so I'll have to try this sometime.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    so have any of you guys had Bread Cheese. I am curious what it is like.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »
    so have any of you guys had Bread Cheese. I am curious what it is like.

is it like head cheese?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    fleggettfleggett Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not to threadcrap, but if you have IBS or, even worse, have suffered 100% intestinal obstructions (like I have), be very, VERY careful with all these cheeses, as they can lead to said obstructions. Each of my incidents (three in total) occurred a few hours after eating that really gooey Pizza Hut stuffed crust pizza (where the mozzarella is baked into the crust). I'm the type of person that eats the crust and all, so I was doomed from the start.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the pain was at least a 12. The first time I presented, the doctors were convinced I had stomach cancer, as I was vomiting about every five minutes and the abdominal probing the doctors had to do was sheer agony. It thankfully turned out to be a Meckel's diverticulum, but even after surgery, I've had two more incidents of almost complete blockage, probably due to scar tissue formation from the original procedure leading to adhesions. My surgeon has told me in no uncertain terms that I'm to not go anywhere near that type of pizza ever again.

Anyway, just be careful. If you've been experiencing chronic stomach pains for some years, I definitely wouldn't go on some sort of cheese binge. That said, I don't think I've met a cheese that I haven't loved, making my current condition all the more tragic.

fleggett on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    fleggett wrote: »
    Not to threadcrap, but if you have IBS or, even worse, have suffered 100% intestinal obstructions (like I have), be very, VERY careful with all these cheeses, as they can lead to said obstructions. Each of my incidents (three in total) occurred a few hours after eating that really gooey Pizza Hut stuffed crust pizza (where the mozzarella is baked into the crust). I'm the type of person that eats the crust and all, so I was doomed from the start.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the pain was at least a 12. The first time I presented, the doctors were convinced I had stomach cancer, as I was vomiting about every five minutes and the abdominal probing the doctors had to do was sheer agony. It thankfully turned out to be a Meckel's diverticulum, but even after surgery, I've had two more incidents of almost complete blockage, probably due to scar tissue formation from the original procedure leading to adhesions. My surgeon has told me in no uncertain terms that I'm to not go anywhere near that type of pizza ever again.

Anyway, just be careful. If you've been experiencing chronic stomach pains for some years, I definitely wouldn't go on some sort of cheese binge. That said, I don't think I've met a cheese that I haven't loved, making my current condition all the more tragic.

Your first mistake was eating at Pizza Hut.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    fleggettfleggett Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Hey, it was an office party with free food and, at the time, I adored Pizza Hut pizza. Mea culpa.

fleggett on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    fleggett wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Hey, it was an office party with free food and, at the time, I adored Pizza Hut pizza. Mea culpa.

I have digestional problems like that too, I just compensate by making sure to get some fiber along with all the cheesy goodness.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've recently begun trying brie (the President variety) and it's not bad. Though right now, my favorite snack cheese is Babybel mini cheeses. Also, I for one like american cheese, as far as i'm concerned nothing else will do on a burger, or grilled cheese sandwich.

Matthew on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just sat down with some of that Norwegian cheese, Gjetost, and some crackers.

It's very... pleasant. Not super strong but I can definitely recommend trying it.

override367 on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Matthew wrote: »
    I've recently begun trying brie (the President variety) and it's not bad. Though right now, my favorite snack cheese is Babybel mini cheeses. Also, I for one like american cheese, as far as i'm concerned nothing else will do on a burger, or grilled cheese sandwich.

If you can get on Food Assistance, Government Cheese is better than all brands of American Cheese (including Velveeta) combined when it comes to flavor and meltiness. No, I'm not even joking. I know no other way of getting your hands on it either.

Brie though, good stuff. Even the rind is good. I love a good triple cream. Also, eating baked brie is like having torn off a piece of God's soul and eating it. You feel like you must have done something terrible because just eating it feels so good.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My dad's brewing friend somehow scored like thirty wheels of both bleu and gorgonzola, so while he was visiting he got one of each. Good. Stuff. I wish I knew who made it, but I guess there's more to be had when we run out :D

Dedian on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Baconaise

The name itself is making me gag.

The video clip of Jon Stewart trying some of it for a sketch and being unable to keep it in his mouth for more than a second was priceless.

override367 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    All hail Gouda, king of Cheese!

I'm basically a month late but this is pure concentrated truth

If he had also said that Bleu cheese is the best dressing I might have thought about leaving my wife for him

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    OK, lets pair meats and cheese.

Turkey desires a good swiss.
    Roast Beef and sharp cheddar is a match made in heaven.
    Salami and Provolone is good, but I like something more like Munster or Gouda with Salami.
    Pastrami is another sharp cheddar, but in this case I'm going with an imported irish or australian cheddar.
    Chicken requires parmesan. All the time.
    Steak is amazing with crumbled bleu cheese on top.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Flounder needs spinach with a lovely feta cheese

I'm well aware that most seafood traditionally is not served with cheese

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Mblackwell wrote: »

If you can get on Food Assistance, Government Cheese is better than all brands of American Cheese (including Velveeta) combined when it comes to flavor and meltiness. No, I'm not even joking. I know no other way of getting your hands on it either.

Brie though, good stuff. Even the rind is good. I love a good triple cream. Also, eating baked brie is like having torn off a piece of God's soul and eating it. You feel like you must have done something terrible because just eating it feels so good.

You can get your hands on it if there is a natural disaster, they give it out. Same way you get your hands on MREs. Plus people land it on ebay.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

You can get your hands on it if there is a natural disaster, they give it out. Same way you get your hands on MREs. Plus people land it on ebay.

Perhaps this is to blame for Katrina

Somebody used their weather machine to obtain the sweet, sweet goverment cheese

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

Perhaps this is to blame for Katrina

Somebody used their weather machine to obtain the sweet, sweet goverment cheese
    Last time I had it, I was living on a rez in south dakota... and yes, it is the best damn melting cheese out there. And because it isn't sliced, you can cut a big chunk to make your grilled cheese sandwich with.... soooo good.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    God is never there to give me a natural disaster when I want one

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Next Katrina let's all go lootin'... for the guv'ment cheese.

Seriously though I'd be willing to pay the same price-per-pound as Velveeta in order to buy it.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just searched this thread for chupaqueso and found nothing.

Okay, cheese lovers, who's going to be the first to make a chupaqueso?
    You will need a good teflon skillet, a fairly sharp teflon spatula, some sharp cheddar, some fresh parmesan, and some Monterey Jack cheese.

1. Grate about a half-cup of cheddar and a half-cup of jack.
    2. Heat the skillet, and spread the cheddar evenly in the pan. You should have an eight-inch diameter circle of grated cheese, with a little bit of pan showing through here and there.
    3. As the pan gets hotter the cheese will obviously melt. Then it will toast, and you’ll get cheese-grease floating on top of melted cheddar, itself on top of a layer of crusty toasted cheddar.
    4. Start lifting around the edges with the spatula. You’ll soon reach a point (you’ll know, trust me) when the structural integrity of the crusty-toasty cheese allows you to flip the whole thing over.
    5. (Speaking of “over,” this is often the point where you’ll get frustrated and decide to start over.)
    6. After toasting side two for a moment, flip it again so the “smooth” side is down, and the recently toasted side is up.
    7. You now have a cheese shell sizzling in a puddle of cheese grease. It’s still flexible, but much longer and it won’t be, so you’ll have to work fast. Add the Jack cheese and a sprinkle of parmesan, and then tri-fold the cheddar-shell around it.
    8. Slide it out of the pan onto your plate. It’s called a “chupaqueso” either because you can suck (chupa) the cheese (queso) out of the middle as you crunch away, or because this cheese (queso) thing you made sucks (chupa).

For added flavor you might try adding cooked-and-crumbled bacon with the jack and parmesan. In this case you’ll end up with a chupaqueso con tocino, or, as it’s often pronounced in my house, “chupaqueso con SWEET TRADER OF PORK BELLIES THERE’S BACON IN THIS THING chomp chomp AAARGH I BURNED MY MOUTH slurp gulp chomp.”
    I made one. It tasted good, but with an odd aftertaste. Also, tasted like a grilled heart attack

Jragghen on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    <3 Alton Brown.

Houn on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How do you tell when cheese has gone bad. I just took a bite of some cheddar and ugh.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    How do you tell when cheese has gone bad. I just took a bite of some cheddar and ugh.

One way to tell is if you take a bite out of it and you go ugh

I dunno, I guess it must have something to do with if it's overly soft/hard or smells wrong

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

One way to tell is if you take a bite out of it and you go ugh

I dunno, I guess it must have something to do with if it's overly soft/hard or smells wrong

Or if it's fuzzy.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I just searched this thread for chupaqueso and found nothing.

Okay, cheese lovers, who's going to be the first to make a chupaqueso?
    You will need a good teflon skillet, a fairly sharp teflon spatula, some sharp cheddar, some fresh parmesan, and some Monterey Jack cheese.

1. Grate about a half-cup of cheddar and a half-cup of jack.
    2. Heat the skillet, and spread the cheddar evenly in the pan. You should have an eight-inch diameter circle of grated cheese, with a little bit of pan showing through here and there.
    3. As the pan gets hotter the cheese will obviously melt. Then it will toast, and you’ll get cheese-grease floating on top of melted cheddar, itself on top of a layer of crusty toasted cheddar.
    4. Start lifting around the edges with the spatula. You’ll soon reach a point (you’ll know, trust me) when the structural integrity of the crusty-toasty cheese allows you to flip the whole thing over.
    5. (Speaking of “over,” this is often the point where you’ll get frustrated and decide to start over.)
    6. After toasting side two for a moment, flip it again so the “smooth” side is down, and the recently toasted side is up.
    7. You now have a cheese shell sizzling in a puddle of cheese grease. It’s still flexible, but much longer and it won’t be, so you’ll have to work fast. Add the Jack cheese and a sprinkle of parmesan, and then tri-fold the cheddar-shell around it.
    8. Slide it out of the pan onto your plate. It’s called a “chupaqueso” either because you can suck (chupa) the cheese (queso) out of the middle as you crunch away, or because this cheese (queso) thing you made sucks (chupa).

For added flavor you might try adding cooked-and-crumbled bacon with the jack and parmesan. In this case you’ll end up with a chupaqueso con tocino, or, as it’s often pronounced in my house, “chupaqueso con SWEET TRADER OF PORK BELLIES THERE’S BACON IN THIS THING chomp chomp AAARGH I BURNED MY MOUTH slurp gulp chomp.”
    I made one. It tasted good, but with an odd aftertaste. Also, tasted like a grilled heart attack
    I've made those several times. Miraculously, I still have arteries. I'm not sure how.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I'm falling in love with soft goat's milk cheeses - tangy and musky are good (so I guess sheep's milk would work too). I just finished off some of Cypress Groves' Truffle Tremor (so good) and am looking for similar cheeses. Thankfully I live in a rather international city (Seattle) so I have access to a wide variety - more exotic suggestions are ok.

Also, if you know about particularly good cheese shops around here (besides Delaurenti, I already frequent them) lemme know.

Passerbye on