As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

severe computer freezing

ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up.MichiganRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
so here i sit in safe mode because this pc will freeze within 2 minutes of booting up under normal mode. I'm running vista with service pack one and can provide any additional information because i know at the moment this is woefully inadequate.

It doesnt blue screen or anything it just stops working, complete lock.

System restore wont work because somehow there's no longer any restore points.

I'm attempting to look at the event viewer to see if its any use, but I'm really not sure what to look for.

so any ideas?

Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
Zephos on

• Options
    happy cabbagehappy cabbage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You have a virus?

happy cabbage on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No more restore points? You have been owned. It's common practice for some of the more vicious virus' to wipe your restore points.

Krikee on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zephos wrote: »
    so here i sit in safe mode because this pc will freeze within 2 minutes of booting up under normal mode. I'm running vista with service pack one and can provide any additional information because i know at the moment this is woefully inadequate.

It doesnt blue screen or anything it just stops working, complete lock.

System restore wont work because somehow there's no longer any restore points.

I'm attempting to look at the event viewer to see if its any use, but I'm really not sure what to look for.

so any ideas?

Tried all the AV stuff?

Spybot search and destroy along with malwarebites might help.

Good luck to you, this one wont be easy.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    mcaffee scan didnt pick up anything but i'll try again.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    happy cabbagehappy cabbage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Your problem is your using that. It is a terrible antivirus. Download Malwarebytes. That might find something.

happy cabbage on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Seriously though, repairing the existing installation may be a lost cause. Downloading and installing any new antivirus software may be hopeless since a lot of malware now prevents the installation or functionality of new virus / malware scanners. I'd back up your files to a USB key (and also burn them to DVD as an extra backup if you can), wipe the drive and reinstall Windows. Install better antivirus / malware detection software once Windows is reinstalled and make sure it's monitoring memory before you try to grab your files off the USB key.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer