As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Random Laptop fail

Raziel078Raziel078 Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So my little brothers laptop just randomly sort of died on us. When it boots it all seems normal till you get to the windows boot screen, you know the black one with the little green bar underneath. From their it freaks out and goes to that screen that says windows failed to initialize and gives you the option to start in safe mode or last working settings, I have tried all the options, nothing works. What should I do. Please dont tell me I have to format and start again, I really really don't want to do that. I have like 4 cover letters and my latest resume on there and those aren't saved anywhere else

I would like to put something clever and about me but I fear my company will find it
Raziel078 on

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    what kind of laptop is it (make/model)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you have stuff that important on there, I would pull the drive and slave it onto another computer to see if you can get the files off.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you have stuff that important on there, I would pull the drive and slave it onto another computer to see if you can get the files off.

This is a good bet anyway, before you start messing with it. Get the files, and then fiddle.

iglidante on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

This is basically your best option. You would probably need an external enclosure, unless the drive happens to be SATA and you have a computer with SATA ports available to plug it into.

You could also set up a Bart PE disk with network support for your specific adapter and get it off that way, but this is a long and complicated process and it would be less work/pain in the ass to re-write your resume and cover letters.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just look around for one of those $20 kits that let you plug any loose HD into a usb port.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Raziel078Raziel078 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah I have one of those kits already, handles IDEE and SATA, is there any reason, why it would do this? I mean I'm not even sure if the thing is a year old yet, and if it is it's not 2 years old. I'll get make and model for you in a little bit. I've been house painting so I keep forgetting to check this

Raziel078 on
    I would like to put something clever and about me but I fear my company will find it
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Raziel078 wrote: »
    is there any reason, why it would do this?

Too many to name. Viruses, laptop was dropped, moisture, power surge, it could have been anything.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]