As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I require turn-based gaming!

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
What's good on the TBS front? I tried GalCiv 2 for a bit when it was released, but all games pretty much started the same way - rush to expand until you bump into your neighbors, and hope you expanded in the direction of the good stuff.

Any other recommendations? I'm bored. :|

Echo on

• Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If you're not strictly looking for other PC games, give Gladius a shot. It's on all of the last-gen consoles. You can probably pick it up for $10, now. It's definitely one of the more underrated games I've ever played, and while the story isn't exactly compelling, mechanically, it's quite good, with a really cool mix of characters and classes.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

Should be deep bargain bin by now, and it's really good.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    SM:AC!!!! now!

even if you've played it to death, play it some more.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    max.gif

Everyone hates it, but it's honestly one of my favorite turn based games ever. It simply turns the base building mechanic on end.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    it's a shame your requirements are turn-based, but i'm going to take this opportunity to pimp Fragile Allegiance, which was a knock-off of something like Master of Orion (i believe, anyway, never played that), but was so awesome. Waging a space-based war across your colonised asteroids, building up a vast armada and sending them off on a genocidal campaign to purge game-space of opposing races, too much fun.

edit: also, Toribash!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mahnmut wrote:

All the Age of Wonders games are works of art.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Oh, I have Gladius for the 'cube. I should replay that some time.

Is Disciples II any good? It's on Steam, I might get it together with Jagged Alliance 2.

Echo on
  • Options
    AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Oh, I have Gladius for the 'cube. I should replay that some time.

Is Disciples II any good? It's on Steam, I might get it together with Jagged Alliance 2.

Yes! Disciples II is wonderful.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jagged Alliance 2, any of the Heroes of Might and Magic games, and Silent Storm are all pretty great.

And Disciples II is more than wonderful. It's... It's something more than wonderful. Of course, it has quite a different feel from a lot of other turn-based games, and while it is similar to HoMM, even fans of that series might be put off of Disciples.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Civilization 4.

Thread over.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mahnmut wrote:

I've seen this in 2 packs for $20 - the best games I've seen it with are Serious Sam Gold, Project Snowblind, and Freedom Force. I'd reccomend getting the Age of Wonders / Freedom Force pack if you see it for sell anywhere.

Hensler on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I always liked Computer Ambush.

Of course, that's about 26 years old now, but it's a great game.

Was OGRE turn-based? I don't remember, but that was an awesome game too.

Field Of Fire was also one of my favorite wargames of yore.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I was just trying to dig reinstall Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic. I couldn't find it. Its at a friends house, but his girlfriend threw him out, and maybe the game too :(

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Not traditional turn-based, but if you want a WWII strategy there is the Combat Mission series. You and the computer go at the same time and then the game plays the turns simultaneously.

Also not turn based but excellent strategy are the Close Combat games.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Just out of curiosity, is this limited to PC games or are you taking any other suggestions for gaming hardware. If the latter, I could suggest some good GBA stuff.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Just out of curiosity, is this limited to PC games or are you taking any other suggestions for gaming hardware. If the latter, I could suggest some good GBA stuff.
    Any of the Advance Wars games, of course.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Do SRPGs count? Because there are tons of those, most of them quite good.

thegloaming on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Silent Storm.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 or 5.

Or if you really want a classic experience, try X-COM: UFO Defense or Masters of Orion 2.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If you have a GBA or DS, try the Advance Wars games. Not very complex, but entertaining.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dunno if it's good or not, but I saw this game at Gamestop that seems to be the spiritual sequel to Jagged Alliance. It even had Jagged and/or Alliance in the title. Sorry I can't be more specific...

In any case, I recommend Disgaea 2 if you haven't played it.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Let's see:

- Jagged Alliance 2: Squad level strategy game. You hire mercenaries and try to raise a rebellion on a fictitious island. Tough going early on, but it requires some genuine strategy. Make good use of smoke grenades (well, just make good use of grenades altogether).

- Silent Storm: More mission based (no purchasing of equipment, and your squadies are free, no overall world map style objectives to take care of), but has destructible scenery. Trapping a door just before a group of enemies runs through is always fun, just stay very well back.

- Alpha Centauri: Successor to Civ in a lot of ways, and still regarded as one of the best games in its genre.

- Advance Wars series: "One more turn" Is something you're likely to be saying a lot.

- Final Fantasy Tactics: Assuming you can find it. Aged surprisingly well thanks to the 2D sprite based graphics, and the gameplay is solid. Having the standard Final Fantasy style epic storyline doesn't help either (although the translation might not be as good as say, Vagrant Story).

subedii on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Civilization 4.

And if you want real, high caliber turn-based strategy quality, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    What's good on the TBS front? I tried GalCiv 2 for a bit when it was released, but all games pretty much started the same way - rush to expand until you bump into your neighbors, and hope you expanded in the direction of the good stuff.

Any other recommendations? I'm bored. :|

Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance, Space Rangers, annnd, I dont remember anything else.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You might want to check out Matrix Games for some of their stuff. Just about everything is turn based, and it ranges from classical warfare to modern.

Of course, it's pretty much all grodnard style strategy.

Doronron on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mahnmut wrote:

Word. Just....word. Nothing has brought back the feeling of Master of Magic quite like the Age of Wonders series

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    GoodOmens wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:

Word. Just....word. Nothing has brought back the feeling of Master of Magic quite like the Age of Wonders series

The only problem I have with AoW is the imbalance towards flying, ranged units, other than that it's golden.

A duck! on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fire Emblem love needed in here. Grab the first one for the GBA, or the GC one.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Recoil42 wrote:
    max.gif

Everyone hates it, but it's honestly one of my favorite turn based games ever. It simply turns the base building mechanic on end.
    God damn you, I can't find MAX anywhere. Not in stores, and it's not even freeware, though it's been out for 12 years.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've played about an hour's worth of Medieval 2: TW and it seems fun so far.

The battles aren't turn based, but you can pause them whenever you want, so they're never hectic. And everything else is turn based.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    METAzraeL wrote:
    Fire Emblem love needed in here. Grab the first one for the GBA, or the GC one.

Okay, this is what I was going to say before I even knew this thread existed.

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Disiples 2 is pretty damn good.

august on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    I've played about an hour's worth of Medieval 2: TW and it seems fun so far.

The battles aren't turn based, but you can pause them whenever you want, so they're never hectic. And everything else is turn based.

I'd call M2:Tw more of a weird hybrid of a RTS and a Turn Based Strategy game.

Of course, if the OP wants to keep it strictly turn based he could just autoresolve battles.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well, if you're willing to dig a bit further back, you may want to try out any of the Shining Force games (except the PS2 one, which I understand is unplayable trash). Not terribly different from the Fire Emblem series, except that it actually has interesting units.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited December 2006
    Speaking of turn-based strategy games.. I've been playing a lot of Advance Wars: Dual Strike and I'm enjoying it very much. I've never really been a fan of turn-based strat. games.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TrichomeTrichome Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Trichome on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pretty much what has already been said is the best you're gonna find. Jagged Alliance 2, MOO2, Alpha Centauri and Civ 4.

I'd also put Warlords in there. Try and grab a copy of Warlords 3 or the stand alone expansion Darklords Rising. Or even warlords 2 really, it's still great. Just stay away from Warlords 4, it's shit on a disc.

Warlords is one that really shines when you play it with a couple of other people.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well I'm strictly a newb to the purely turn based genre, but Heroes of Might and Magic 5 seems entertaining in small doses. The units are atleast well animated and fun to look at. I'm playing through the campaign (which so far is woefully easy) but I'm sure multiplayer is much more challenging.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Derrick wrote:
    Well I'm strictly a newb to the purely turn based genre, but Heroes of Might and Magic 5 seems entertaining in small doses. The units are atleast well animated and fun to look at. I'm playing through the campaign (which so far is woefully easy) but I'm sure multiplayer is much more challenging.
    Woefully easy? Not once you get to the last two missions of the demon campaign.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Front Mission 3 (PS) or 4 (PS2) (I hear 3 is better)

X-Com is a classic but I'm sure everyone here has already heard of it.

FreddyD on