As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gaming TV

13»

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Newtron wrote: »
    The last good "gaming tv" I saw was Nickarcade.

Oh, and this really old, short lived show called Video Power, where kids would run through this arena thing and stick themselves with nintendo games and hurry to the end of the arena so they could keep the games they grabbed.

That was good shit.

That show was so confused. I watched it before the school bus came and I was jealous of the kids that won Neo-Geos and SNES and skateboards for 'stumping' Johnny Arcade with a tough question.

Wasn't the end thing like them playing some arcade game for more prizes? And they always sucked?

I seem to remember watching and being like OH GOD WHY CAN'T I BE ON THIS I WOULD DESTROY THAT SHIT I HAVE BEATEN THAT SO MANY TIMES

Arch on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    Newtron wrote: »
    The last good "gaming tv" I saw was Nickarcade.

Oh, and this really old, short lived show called Video Power, where kids would run through this arena thing and stick themselves with nintendo games and hurry to the end of the arena so they could keep the games they grabbed.

That was good shit.

That show was so confused. I watched it before the school bus came and I was jealous of the kids that won Neo-Geos and SNES and skateboards for 'stumping' Johnny Arcade with a tough question.

Wasn't the end thing like them playing some arcade game for more prizes? And they always sucked?

I seem to remember watching and being like OH GOD WHY CAN'T I BE ON THIS I WOULD DESTROY THAT SHIT I HAVE BEATEN THAT SO MANY TIMES

Halfway in they do a prize run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WeGxF1E1pQ&feature=related

EDIT: Wow, teal sport coat. Tubular.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, if the commentator can explain why such-and-such combo player A is performing is only possible while the opponent is pinned against the background or the finer points of rocket jumps, that would help a lot.

You see, a headshot is when someone gets shot in the head. The first guy shoots the second guy in the head, and the second guys gets shot in the head, and boom! - you've got yourself a headshot.

john_madden1.jpg

BubbaT on
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd never thought I would say this, but there is a pretty nice Gaming Show called Game One on German MTV, I mean I do know that the other 99,9999999999% of MTV shows and gaming tv shows are mindless crap, but those guys are really funny sometimes and they seem to be real gaming nerds, they will also feature one classic game per show, they had something about Chrono Trigger way before the DS rerelease for example.

I get my info on new games from the net, but this show really amuses me whenever I come across it while flipping through channels.

I have tried to find some clips that can be watched despite the language barrier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSJqV9buls

Deadly Creatures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIefudo_kuA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZBNT1QFUIA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWu8x4J5f6g

Librarian on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think you could make a decent show out of Let's Plays, like you would find on the internet. Some of the LP's can get really damn entertaining, and I'd watch them on TV. You could have a game take a few episodes. You'd just need some really entertaining commentators.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I think you could make a decent show out of Let's Plays, like you would find on the internet. Some of the LP's can get really damn entertaining, and I'd watch them on TV. You could have a game take a few episodes. You'd just need some really entertaining commentators.

+100 points if your LP show is done in MST3K style.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    theSquid wrote: »

This is the greatest idea in this whole damn thread.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

"He's fighting some of those.....fish."

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    Yahtzee and two dudes from Australian Gamer were trying to get a show together called Game Damage that seemed kinda promising.

That's about all I have to contribute.

Looks promising, watching the pilot episode right now and it is a lot easier to listen to rather than watch, all 3 hosts seem so awkward and wooden (lol gamers) in front of the cameras. Were this a tv show, I probably wouldn't watch it, I'd download a podcast though.

Depends, is it a white background or a black background behind them? The white background was their very first pilot, the black background is only a trailer, about 5 minutes long, but they released it several months after the first pilot after listening to a good amount of feedback very much similar to what you said.

I watched both the trailer on that link and the 30 minute pilot on youtube. I did like the documentary parts, but like I said they seem rather awkward as a group.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

This is the greatest idea in this whole damn thread.

As long as it doesn't end up like that Unskippable . . . thing. That shit is painful to watch.

Never quite got the appeal of MST3K, either; they're not that funny, certainly not funny enough to make half the movies watchable. And I spend most of the time thinking about how it would be a billion times more productive and a lot funnier to watch horrible movies with my friends and cut out the middlemen.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    videogaiden was pretty nice while it lasted

unfortunately it didn't last long

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    As long as it doesn't end up like that Unskippable . . . thing. That shit is painful to watch.

D:

They have some worthy zingers every week!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SpacehogSpacehog Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Someone tell me what has made starcraft so goddamn popular in Korea. I remember playing it when it came out. Hell, I still play it from time to time. But how in the name of fuck did it get to be so popular over there?

Spacehog on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Look at the top of the page.

It's popular because A: the players, their personalities, rivalries, etc. and B: the dynamics of the game, which has evolved tremendously over time, and is fast and exciting.

It really is fun to watch, if you know anything about the game at all and enjoy high level play of any sort.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wish whoever was subbing Gamecenter CX would get back to it. That show is hypnotic.

I'd watch a US version if they somehow made it anywhere near as interesting.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tech TV had a great show I forget the name of but it wasn't really game specific iirc, more tech related.

Everything else I've seen has been embarrasingly bad in the "WOO! YEAH! VIDEO GAMES!" department or trying way too hard to be snarky/clever which is the same reason I can't stand reading most game reviews. Every game critic seems to think they have a rapier wit but far too often come across with 10 year old on a playground vibe.

HappylilElf on