As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunt ON] MH3- WiiSpeak sucks, Free online play, OUT NOW

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gah, this is again shitting me to the point where I've put it down again. I don't mind difficulty spikes, but fuck Tigrex.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    mazereonmazereon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks Maze!

That vid is always impressive as hell every time I see it, I can barely get passed the Tigrex without dying/having only 10 minutes left, and that's with full armour...

Ta dude :)

Well, it's not like this was a first attempt at this quest for me, and I've killed 375 Rathalos, 165 Tigrex, 345 Naruga and 127 Rajang so I'm pretty used to fighting them all xD It was just a matter of forward planning and then executing it.

Loki, I hate Tigrex too. So, what I do is take my weapon of choice - hammer here - and force myself to do Dual Tigrex without flashes until I feel better about killing them. Tigrex has few openings usually, since you actually need to bait it into using certain attacks. Ever wondered why in speed runs you see Tigrex spinning a lot or biting? It's because if you stay close to it, it will almost never charge you. Maybe try that for a while and see if it helps? Just start a mission, and don't even go in to complete it, just go in to observe and practice fighting Tigrex. Hope that helps...

mazereon on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, the Tigrex in the 'Monster Hunter' quest is always what causes me to fail; I jsut can't kill it fast enough, I'm always too scared to stay near it to keep it from charging but if I just let it charge I can't get enough hits in, it doesn't help that each hit in rage mode takes away half my health of course...

Oh well, back to practicing I guess...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just give me my goddamn majestic horn, Diablos. I have killed at least twenty of you so far.

(Still on Freedom. HR2, finally, and completed the elder Lao. Four Horns in the guild can go fuck itself.)

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm in the same boat with Rathalos...gimme your f'ing plate! I've got like 3 Rathian plates, where's my Rathalos plates?? I'm assuming that Azure Rathalos in the Veggie Elder 6* rank will drop them? I'm only HR4, and on 8* Feylne Elder. I want a Rathalos Plate to make the Corona SnS.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm in the same boat with Rathalos...gimme your f'ing plate! I've got like 3 Rathian plates, where's my Rathalos plates?? I'm assuming that Azure Rathalos in the Veggie Elder 6* rank will drop them? I'm only HR4, and on 8* Feylne Elder. I want a Rathalos Plate to make the Corona SnS.

Of the 3 rathaloses, Azure usually has the worst drop rates for things like plates and rubies. You might have better luck fighting a regular rathalos, or silver if/when you get to that point.

Break the head for a chance, cut/carve the tail for a chance, capture for a chance. A shiny drop also has a low chance, I believe.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Of the 3 rathaloses, Azure usually has the worst drop rates for things like plates and rubies. You might have better luck fighting a regular rathalos, or silver if/when you get to that point.

Break the head for a chance, cut/carve the tail for a chance, capture for a chance. A shiny drop also has a low chance, I believe.

Yeah, I just found that Minegarde has a carve chart for ranks below G (could only find G rank carve list until now). 1% chance for Azure Tail carve, 3% chance for regular Rathalos in Elder rank. Poop! I'll run the Rathalos/Rathian 6* for better chances then. It's not exactly hard with the weapons I have!

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Despite how the percentages look on paper ("ONE PERCENT?!?!?!"), MH has never ever reached the ridiculous drop rates of MMORPGs, and for that I am extremely grateful. I've gotten myself a number of rare items often, the heavenly scales in particular. I enjoy monster hunting, but I still have a tolerance limit for repeated hunts!

vvvv fRAWRst, shouldn't you spoiler that sig image? Looks funky though, is that Bison's Psycho Crusher?

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Simple solution is to get to 9star felyne elder and do the silver los/gold ian quest, which with a hammer and some flashes you can do in about 15 mins for about a plate/ruby every 2 runs.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    fRAWRst wrote: »

Simple solution is to get to 9star felyne elder and do the silver los/gold ian quest, which with a hammer and some flashes you can do in about 15 mins for about a plate/ruby every 2 runs.

Hm, that's a good suggestion. I want to use the SnS on Nargacuga, but can probably deal without it to push into 9*. I'll give Rathalos/Rathian a few more tries, and then bang on Narga's head.

e:
    Airan wrote: »
    Despite how the percentages look on paper ("ONE PERCENT?!?!?!"), MH has never ever reached the ridiculous drop rates of MMORPGs, and for that I am extremely grateful. I've gotten myself a number of rare items often, the heavenly scales in particular. I enjoy monster hunting, but I still have a tolerance limit for repeated hunts!

Yeah, I've gotten some good rare items pretty easily so far. This is the first one that I've had troubles with. I'd rank Hornetaur heads up there with the plate, but they are just annoying to farm, not troublesome.

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Akantor down!

What an epic battle. He'd be easy peasy if his charge wasnt so hard to dodge, and if he didnt do one right after you get randomly hit by one f his flame pillars. Other then that, its as as easy as staying to his left, letting him turn, and super pounding the head.

I could probably kill im faster then my 33 min current, but i dont triple pound at all cause im a scardy cat and akantor raged does like 75 health a hit. Getting 3 knockouts and 6 triple pounds as a result is awesome though.

Whats with his limping anyways? You cant capture him can you? Oh well, i got so excited the first time i killed him that i didnt carve, and 2 deaths made my rewards mediocre. Guess its time to farm up on power juices and get some dark akantor armor.

Also, question about pokke farm, Im missing 2 ??????? upgrades, and now ive cleared all the village quests. Do the last 2 upgrades come from the gathering hall quests?

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can't wait to face Akantor! Gratz on smacking him around!

And I downed Nargacuga...with a HBG. 80 Fire, and ~10 Normal3. Man, that fight is FUN! I need to figure out what I can use melee wise to have a bit more fun.

FE 9* seems to be several steps up from 8* in intensity. All I can say is DAMN, some of the Epic huts are crazy. Not to mention Silver/Gold Rath* seem to be quite a bit faster, and have some new moves that I am figuring out how to exploit :D

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think the last 2 farm upgrades are G-Rank mining and bug thickets, so yeah you need to get to HR7 to unlock those, but if you've beaten FE Akantor that shouldn't be too tricky, even on your own.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ive yet to try HBG at all, but ive seen vids of guys basically just rolling and fireing away, not bothering to aim other then its general direction. Im trained from MH1 Fatalis fights to keep a target in the scope, treating a gun like a long range melee weapon is funny to me.

And if you farm up those ian/los, particulary the ian, you can make the weapon beyond cornona. Makes short work of narga as far as SnS go.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    A lot of the time you can only really free fire HBG if you're using pellet shot, as the individual pellets tend to 'seek' towards the weak spot if you fire in the general direction. It certaintly makes short work of Kirin and Diablos.

Not to say that you couldn't use normal shot types but it would be very tricky to get it on target, especially small areas like Rajang's head, and you wouldn't be able to hit areas too high up either.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hoho! I finally got around to downing Silver Rathalos, and got 2 Rathalos Plates out of him as a reward! I feel lucky! I think I had a Lucky Feylne skill up for the fight, too.

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow... that's some serious luck you got going there... did you buy a lottery ticket too?! Rathalos is always the stingy one with plates for me. Plenty of Rathian plates to make all the equipment I want, but the rathalos plates are few and far between. I never received a Rathian Spike+ in MHF2... ever. But in Unite I got several in the first 10 hours of play... was very nice.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Wow... that's some serious luck you got going there... did you buy a lottery ticket too?! Rathalos is always the stingy one with plates for me. Plenty of Rathian plates to make all the equipment I want, but the rathalos plates are few and far between. I never received a Rathian Spike+ in MHF2... ever. But in Unite I got several in the first 10 hours of play... was very nice.

Yeah, I really doubt I'm going to get that lucky ever again. Ultra Lucky Cat effect was in play, I can confirm now. I couldn't remember which "Luky" skill my chefs had...

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Plates and Rubies become easier to get when you get to the rank above where you can first get them, then of course you have to get Heavenly Scales...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Or Big Elder Dragon Jewels.

Unless there's been a shift in understanding lately, the lucky cat skills don't necessarily help with your percentage to get rare items, just in increasing the amount of rewards you receive. Which in theory might give an extra chance or three at getting a rare item, but still, the percentages don't change.

Now mind you, I'd still rather go into a quest with Lucky Cat or Dismantle[Hi] rather than not. Anytime you can get more rewards/carves is a good thing.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Or Big Elder Dragon Jewels.

Unless there's been a shift in understanding lately, the lucky cat skills don't necessarily help with your percentage to get rare items, just in increasing the amount of rewards you receive. Which in theory might give an extra chance or three at getting a rare item, but still, the percentages don't change.

Now mind you, I'd still rather go into a quest with Lucky Cat or Dismantle[Hi] rather than not. Anytime you can get more rewards/carves is a good thing.

Yeah, with Ultra Lucky Cat, I get way more rewards than normal, which usually leads to good things that I want. I'm under the impression that more rewards = more chance for a rare item.

One plate was in the standard rewards boxes, and one was in the capture/break reward boxes. Also to note - I did not capture him. I ill-used my shock trap, and the one time my cat laid a shock trap down, I screwed it up by attacking and staggering him right after he landed in it. Go me!

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, that is interesting news. Honestly though, it would've been nice to have (from the MH perspective) a little sooner, considering Unite came out almost 5 months ago. It's still good, and hopefully more PSP users will find the ability to use Ad Hoc Party (for both Unite and other games) to be a very nice perk.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, that took a little longer than it should have, but it'll be nice to have it in English - I might actually start using it here in a bit since I want to go through more GH stuff.

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Makes me wish I had a PS3...
    I guess I'll still be playing on my own until I can get some money...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yea, now im debating to buy a ps3 and have fun with MHFU, or wait it out till March (ish) for a 299 wii + mh3 bundle

oh boy

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yea, now im debating to buy a ps3 and have fun with MHFU, or wait it out till March (ish) for a 299 wii + mh3 bundle

oh boy

Save for the Wii bundle!

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    HR 6! Ive got a downloaded Fatalis quest which i can start, but i think thatll have to wait. Now im on a blangoga spree trying to get their LS, hammer, and gunlance to the best i can.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    HR 6! Ive got a downloaded Fatalis quest which i can start, but i think thatll have to wait. Now im on a blangoga spree trying to get their LS, hammer, and gunlance to the best i can.

Very nice and congratulations! Now push on to HR7 for all the new fun and challenges and ways to get squished! :P

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Finally got enough Diablos Thoracic to make my Diablos Destroyer too. 1248 attack with aka/soul los , with -10 affinity, earplugs, and sharpness +1. Gonna wanna start farming these guys for the hammer aswell, but i need some more sonic bombs. Is a dual kutku the fastest way to get them? I can manage those in about 2 minutes and gets 4-5 screamers, but with the loading and such is seems much longer. Any better way to get screamers?

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I believe most of the -dromes will have it in rewards as well. You could probably do a dual velocidrome quest in a couple of minutes, provided you don't end up chasing them all over the place.

Diablos Chaos Broker is an excellent hammer, and it's final version, Chaotic Order, is still one of my favorite hammers. One of the highest raw damage hammers in the game, but while it may be a bit less than a Magnitude, doesn't have the pesky negative affinity.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've just realized that now that I have a PS3, this Adhoc Party business is now relevant to me! :D

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Doesn't the granny lady sell screamers? I thought I remembered buying them somewhere one time... maybe I'm just remembering things wrong though.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure she doesn't sell Screamers, I've never seen her do so.

With the alchemy skill you can combine a frog and a flute to make a screamer though.
    Or just go kill Velocidrome a few times, try and get a king size one or something.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Apparently the elder 2* Velocidrome is a pushover, and with a relatively high power hammer you can do one triangle hit and one circle hit and capture it for screamers. Apparently you can get anywhere from 2 to 14 at once according to the guy who posted it on gamefaqs. He said he was using a Naruga hammer.

I could have sworn I bought them somewhere... but I guess my mind is playing tricks on me.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    4* dual Velocidrome has around the same hp (depending on size) but there are two of them, but I'm not sure if that actually improves the number of screamers you can get.

All i know is that after getting gold large and small crowns for all four -drome species I have 99 screamers that I'm never going to use...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So, I've been a bad hunter these past few weeks with all dem shiny PS3 games out there; but I picked up the PSP today and wow, am I rusty! I was having trouble with my alt char's HR4 dual Kut-Ku quest! I was about ready to hang my head in shame.

Kind of looking forward to the US Ad Hoc Party release. While I don't have a problem with the JP version, it'll be nice to see if more people use the service once it's out in translated form.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ha, sending Trenya to Mountains on 200 points nets you 2 screamers about 1 in 5. Ive been farming up some one eared yian garungas to make his poison LS, and ive managed to get 12 in about 45 mins. Not too bad for nothing.

I cant wait to unlock G, ive been blowing through HR6 quests like there nothing. Los and Ian are clockwork with my Cenataur Hammer, and tigrex and the blos's are np with either my eager cleaver or blagonga LS(forget the name). Elder dragons are just gonna take 2-3 quests :P

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ha, sending Trenya to Mountains on 200 points nets you 2 screamers about 1 in 5. Ive been farming up some one eared yian garungas to make his poison LS, and ive managed to get 12 in about 45 mins. Not too bad for nothing.

I cant wait to unlock G, ive been blowing through HR6 quests like there nothing. Los and Ian are clockwork with my Cenataur Hammer, and tigrex and the blos's are np with either my eager cleaver or blagonga LS(forget the name). Elder dragons are just gonna take 2-3 quests :P

Seeing as how you don't have to fight any elder dragons to get to HR7, it would be even faster if you wanted to just get there. I mean, there's only 8 quests you need to clear to go from HR6 to HR7, and that includes the 2 urgents. The rest is only if you needed parts/wanted to get everything before moving on.

(Or was it required to unlock one of the required quests? I can't remember anymore)

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The only thing I remember from HR6 is that you have to kill Black Gravios and it took me an age to solo it, literally weeks.

As far as I can remember you have to hunt: (spoilered in case you'd rather find out yourself...)
    Black Diablos, Black Gravios, Pink & Azure Rath's, Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos, which unlocks Shen Gaoren, then Akantor and finally Dual Hypnocatrice.

Although I do tend to beat every quest, or as many as I can be bothered doing, in a rank before I do the urgent.

Halos Nach Tariff on