As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

1192022242560

Posts

  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Kanamit wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    Militia people are going to flip when they try to revolt and find out that the USAF has smart bombs and bunker busters. Whoops.
    You don't understand. The military knows the threat that Barack Hussein Obama poses to the country and the Constitution better than anyone, and will be among the greatest supporters of Joe Wilson's second American revolution.
    No, seriously. That's what these people think.

    The idea that the USAF would stand by and watch while militants kill innocent Americans in their revolt seems awfully unpatriotic to me.

    :P

    Advocating a violent takeover of the national government seems like the definition of unpatriotic to me.

    KalTorak on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    Kanamit wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    Militia people are going to flip when they try to revolt and find out that the USAF has smart bombs and bunker busters. Whoops.
    You don't understand. The military knows the threat that Barack Hussein Obama poses to the country and the Constitution better than anyone, and will be among the greatest supporters of Joe Wilson's second American revolution.
    No, seriously. That's what these people think.

    The idea that the USAF would stand by and watch while militants kill innocent Americans in their revolt seems awfully unpatriotic to me.

    :P

    Advocating a violent takeover of the national government seems like the definition of unpatriotic to me.

    The irony of hardcore constitutionalists committing the only crime mentioned in the Constitution would be overwhelming

    nexuscrawler on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If the military got involved in the being-divided shit, I'd actually be worried. Hopefully, any sort of militia that would rise up will be like... a classroom's worth of angry rednecks in a few spots, put down by local law enforcement and the National Guard.

    But this all seems silly to speculate on. I have enough faith that people won't resort to violence in the nation, one way or the other. Even the most die-hard that despite Obama, because more than likely they're too scared.

    Henroid on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    As to the nature of arguments, I enjoy ripping apart conservatives because I see no value in their argument. Arguing with a low taxes chap to me is like arguing with someone who says the sky is orange. It is something that is objectively speaking compltely bullshit and not worthy of an even debate. If a guy says to me that the sky is orange, he is simply wrong and must (usually) be corrected.

    Oh man. I was having a political discussion with a nice Republican gal once, and she was trying to convince me that her political ideologies were right because she believed in them completely, going so far as to literally state that the sky would in fact be orange if she believed it enough.

    I laughed for hours after deleting her from all my contact lists.

    To be fair, the sky is kind of orange-y at dusk.

    Hence the usually in the post ;) There's a thing about broken clocks and being right, after all.

    LibrarianThorne on
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    If the military got involved in the being-divided shit, I'd actually be worried. Hopefully, any sort of militia that would rise up will be like... a classroom's worth of angry rednecks in a few spots, put down by local law enforcement and the National Guard.

    But this all seems silly to speculate on. I have enough faith that people won't resort to violence in the nation, one way or the other. Even the most die-hard that despite Obama, because more than likely they're too scared.

    I thought liberal elitist school was like kryptonite for them. Wouldn't that number be 0?

    Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    If the military got involved in the being-divided shit, I'd actually be worried. Hopefully, any sort of militia that would rise up will be like... a classroom's worth of angry rednecks in a few spots, put down by local law enforcement and the National Guard.

    But this all seems silly to speculate on. I have enough faith that people won't resort to violence in the nation, one way or the other. Even the most die-hard that despite Obama, because more than likely they're too scared.

    I thought liberal elitist school was like kryptonite for them. Wouldn't that number be 0?

    Hardy harr harr, maybe I should've just said "about 30."

    Henroid on
  • AresProphetAresProphet I see a darkness in my fate I'll drive my car without the brakesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are a few civil libertarians around here who remain angry about Obama's continuance of Bush executive power functions (hi!).

    People who expected a complete recall of Bush's expansion of the executive branch's power were being overly idealistic.

    I'm not sure the last time we had a president under whom the executive branch didn't gain in power relative to the other two branches during his term. Certainly not Clinton, pretty sure not Bush the First, definitely not Reagan...

    Egregious as Bush's abuses might have been, the precedents he set are going to give future presidents a lot of new ammunition for enacting policy.

    AresProphet on
    oh, gimme some time
    show me the foothold from which I can climb
    yeah, when I feel low
    you show me a signpost for where I should go
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My dream scenario would be that all the red states rise up and cast out their liberal oppressors. The conservative freedom fighters will win the heartland of America, while the liberals are confined around the great lakes and the eastern and western seaboards. Only this time, the yankees have learned their lesson and wouldn't start a second civil war. The true conservatives would live in their lands peacefully.
    And they could stop leeching tax dollars and holding back all the contributing states. FUCK YOU FLYOVER COUNTRY.

    zerg rush on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    zerg rush wrote: »
    My dream scenario would be that all the red states rise up and cast out their liberal oppressors. The conservative freedom fighters will win the heartland of America, while the liberals are confined around the great lakes and the eastern and western seaboards. Only this time, the yankees have learned their lesson and wouldn't start a second civil war. The true conservatives would live in their lands peacefully.
    And they could stop leeching tax dollars and holding back all the contributing states. FUCK YOU FLYOVER COUNTRY.

    California, Oregon, and Washington would be vulnerable as fuck!

    Henroid on
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are actually a couple red states that give back more than they take in terms of federal dollars.

    Quid on
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    There are actually a couple red states that give back more than they take in terms of federal dollars.

    The only reliably red state that does so is texas. Florida is purple.

    http://www.taxfoundation.org/press/show/22659.html

    Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Georgia gets a penny back. O:

    edit: 1 dollar out, 1.01 in.

    MKR on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    Kanamit wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    Militia people are going to flip when they try to revolt and find out that the USAF has smart bombs and bunker busters. Whoops.
    You don't understand. The military knows the threat that Barack Hussein Obama poses to the country and the Constitution better than anyone, and will be among the greatest supporters of Joe Wilson's second American revolution.
    No, seriously. That's what these people think.

    The idea that the USAF would stand by and watch while militants kill innocent Americans in their revolt seems awfully unpatriotic to me.

    :P

    Advocating a violent takeover of the national government seems like the definition of unpatriotic to me.

    They love their country so much they want to secede from it.

    moniker on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Only Texas. And it's damn near the cutoff point.

    Florida
    Texas
    Oregon
    Michigan
    Washington
    Wisconsin
    Massachusetts
    Colorado
    New York
    California
    Delaware
    Illinois
    Minnesota
    New Hampshire
    Connecticut
    Nevada
    New Jersey


    Although really, I'd feel bad about Colorado and New Mexico. They'd be totally surrounded.
    Edit: Scratch that, New Mexico can go with the reds. Worst moochers in the union. Sorry Colorado, you're on your own now.

    zerg rush on
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User
    edited October 2009
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Only Texas. And it's damn near the cutoff point.

    Florida
    Texas
    Oregon
    Michigan
    Washington
    Wisconsin
    Massachusetts
    Colorado
    New York
    California
    Delaware
    Illinois
    Minnesota
    New Hampshire
    Connecticut
    Nevada
    New Jersey


    Although really, I'd feel bad about Colorado and New Mexico. They'd be totally surrounded.
    Edit: Scratch that, New Mexico can go with the reds. Worst moochers in the union. Sorry Colorado, you're on your own now.

    Both Colorado and Arizona have been trending strongly blue the last few cycles. Colorado especially is a swing state now. Once Arizona catches up and becomes blue/purple (latinos don't vote GOP, and for good reason), they will no longer be surrounded.

    Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Although really, I'd feel bad about Colorado and New Mexico. They'd be totally surrounded.
    Edit: Scratch that, New Mexico can go with the reds. Worst moochers in the union. Sorry Colorado, you're on your own now.

    Both Colorado and Arizona have been trending strongly blue the last few cycles. Colorado especially is a swing state now. Once Arizona catches up and becomes blue/purple (latinos don't vote GOP, and for good reason), they will no longer be surrounded.

    That's good. Any larger buffer zone for California is fine by me.

    zerg rush on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    California is a red state, or governed like one anyways.

    Kanamit on
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »
    California is a red state, or governed like one anyways.

    California is schizophrenic and governed by retarded monkeys. Our politics aren't repub or dem. Just a retarded mix of the worst of both.

    Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    zerg rush wrote: »
    My dream scenario would be that all the red states rise up and cast out their liberal oppressors. The conservative freedom fighters will win the heartland of America, while the liberals are confined around the great lakes and the eastern and western seaboards. Only this time, the yankees have learned their lesson and wouldn't start a second civil war. The true conservatives would live in their lands peacefully.
    And they could stop leeching tax dollars and holding back all the contributing states. FUCK YOU FLYOVER COUNTRY.

    California, Oregon, and Washington would be vulnerable as fuck!

    Don't worry, you need high levels of education to build,maintain and operate high tech weaponry and education causes liberalism. So the red states will start out with lots of tanks, but they'll all break down 40 miles outside sacramento, and our counter assault will be opposed by people with sticks and bibles.

    tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    zerg rush wrote: »
    [*] Less government: Everybody wants less government. But neither republicans or democrats will give it to us. It's really not a partisan issue.
    I don't. I don't give a flying fuck if the government spends a thousand dollars a year or seventy trillion, as long as it runs the country well.

    Captain Carrot on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    zerg rush wrote: »
    My dream scenario would be that all the red states rise up and cast out their liberal oppressors. The conservative freedom fighters will win the heartland of America, while the liberals are confined around the great lakes and the eastern and western seaboards. Only this time, the yankees have learned their lesson and wouldn't start a second civil war. The true conservatives would live in their lands peacefully.
    And they could stop leeching tax dollars and holding back all the contributing states. FUCK YOU FLYOVER COUNTRY.

    California, Oregon, and Washington would be vulnerable as fuck!

    Don't worry, you need high levels of education to build,maintain and operate high tech weaponry and education causes liberalism. So the red states will start out with lots of tanks, but they'll all break down 40 miles outside sacramento, and our counter assault will be opposed by people with sticks and bibles.

    Plus, said tanks need fuel (especially American tanks which, like most of our stuff, are on the gas-guzzling side). So unless Dixie ingenuity is able to get convert the turbine on an M1 to run on moonshine and methamphetamine, they're going to have trouble even starting those tanks up, because all of the United States' agreements with OPEC only apply for the United States part of it. Plus they need to share it with their Hummers and F-350 Superheavies and land-based aircraft carriers. "The sound of freedom," indeed, Senator McCain!

    (For the record, I'm living in Georgia. Plus, you guys have just described, to a T, how Imperial America was formed in Ghost in the Shell.)

    Synthesis on
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I could have sworn there was a state besides Texas.

    Oh well whoo Texas!

    Quid on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    zerg rush wrote: »
    My dream scenario would be that all the red states rise up and cast out their liberal oppressors. The conservative freedom fighters will win the heartland of America, while the liberals are confined around the great lakes and the eastern and western seaboards. Only this time, the yankees have learned their lesson and wouldn't start a second civil war. The true conservatives would live in their lands peacefully.
    And they could stop leeching tax dollars and holding back all the contributing states. FUCK YOU FLYOVER COUNTRY.

    California, Oregon, and Washington would be vulnerable as fuck!

    Don't worry, you need high levels of education to build,maintain and operate high tech weaponry and education causes liberalism. So the red states will start out with lots of tanks, but they'll all break down 40 miles outside sacramento, and our counter assault will be opposed by people with sticks and bibles.

    Plus, said tanks need fuel (especially American tanks which, like most of our stuff, are on the gas-guzzling side). So unless Dixie ingenuity is able to get convert the turbine on an M1 to run on moonshine and methamphetamine, they're going to have trouble even starting those tanks up, because all of the United States' agreements with OPEC only apply for the United States part of it. Plus they need to share it with their Hummers and F-350 Superheavies and land-based aircraft carriers. "The sound of freedom," indeed, Senator McCain!

    (For the record, I'm living in Georgia. Plus, you guys have just described, to a T, how Imperial America was formed in Ghost in the Shell.)

    Texas and Alaska produce oil. Not enough to meet current consumption, but I imagine people in the United States of Murrika will be using less once all their roads break down and turn into dust.

    Cervetus on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »
    California is a red state, or governed like one anyways.

    California is schizophrenic and governed by retarded monkeys. Our politics aren't repub or dem. Just a retarded mix of the worst of both.

    I believe that the word you're looking for is, 'slurry.'

    Gabriel_Pitt on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    zerg rush wrote: »
    My dream scenario would be that all the red states rise up and cast out their liberal oppressors. The conservative freedom fighters will win the heartland of America, while the liberals are confined around the great lakes and the eastern and western seaboards. Only this time, the yankees have learned their lesson and wouldn't start a second civil war. The true conservatives would live in their lands peacefully.
    And they could stop leeching tax dollars and holding back all the contributing states. FUCK YOU FLYOVER COUNTRY.

    California, Oregon, and Washington would be vulnerable as fuck!

    Don't worry, you need high levels of education to build,maintain and operate high tech weaponry and education causes liberalism. So the red states will start out with lots of tanks, but they'll all break down 40 miles outside sacramento, and our counter assault will be opposed by people with sticks and bibles.

    Plus, said tanks need fuel (especially American tanks which, like most of our stuff, are on the gas-guzzling side). So unless Dixie ingenuity is able to get convert the turbine on an M1 to run on moonshine and methamphetamine, they're going to have trouble even starting those tanks up, because all of the United States' agreements with OPEC only apply for the United States part of it. Plus they need to share it with their Hummers and F-350 Superheavies and land-based aircraft carriers. "The sound of freedom," indeed, Senator McCain!

    (For the record, I'm living in Georgia. Plus, you guys have just described, to a T, how Imperial America was formed in Ghost in the Shell.)

    Texas and Alaska produce oil. Not enough to meet current consumption, but I imagine people in the United States of Murrika will be using less once all their roads break down and turn into dust.

    That's an excellent point. Personally, I thought that the Alaska Wildlife Preserves wouldn't be enough to make up for the fact that that Texas is close to being tapped dry (barring a lot of investment in new infrastructure), and that the Gulf of Mexico will be controlled by the United States Navy.

    Plus, think about it...Alaska? Less than 700,000 people right? A couple of battalions of Russian Marines, along with their tanks, BTRs, and food and *BAM*, it's the Autonomous Alaskan Oblast before you could say "Don't shoot, I'm Inuit" in Russian. Plus, even if they could remain independent, how would they even get the oil back to dur Hartland efficiently enough? Pipelines won't work.

    Then again, when their roads turn to dust, it won't matter anyway.

    Synthesis on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »
    California is a red state, or governed like one anyways.

    California is schizophrenic and governed by retarded monkeys. Our politics aren't repub or dem. Just a retarded mix of the worst of both.

    And despite all that, I love living in California.

    Havelock on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    That's an excellent point. Personally, I thought that the Alaska Wildlife Preserves wouldn't be enough to make up for the fact that that Texas is close to being tapped dry (barring a lot of investment in new infrastructure), and that the Gulf of Mexico will be controlled by the United States Navy.

    Plus, think about it...Alaska? Less than 700,000 people right? A couple of battalions of Russian Marines, along with their tanks, BTRs, and food and *BAM*, it's the Autonomous Alaskan Oblast before you could say "Don't shoot, I'm Inuit" in Russian. Plus, even if they could remain independent, how would they even get the oil back to dur Hartland efficiently enough? Pipelines won't work.

    Then again, when their roads turn to dust, it won't matter anyway.

    I guess I can't complain about people having secessionist fetishes when I seem to have a fetish for them seceding and plummeting to hell while on fire.

    Cervetus on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I guess I can't complain about people having secessionist fetishes when I seem to have a fetish for them seceding and plummeting to hell while on fire.

    Whenever someone tells me that all the red states are going to secede, my new favorite comeback is "Thank God! I wish you luck. Any way I can help you do it faster?"

    zerg rush on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I guess I can't complain about people having secessionist fetishes when I seem to have a fetish for them seceding and plummeting to hell while on fire.

    Whenever someone tells me that all the red states are going to succeed, my new favorite comeback is "Thank God! I wish you luck. Any way I can help you do it faster?"

    :mrgreen:

    moniker on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I guess I can't complain about people having secessionist fetishes when I seem to have a fetish for them seceding and plummeting to hell while on fire.

    Whenever someone tells me that all the red states are going to succeed, my new favorite comeback is "Thank God! I wish you luck. Any way I can help you do it faster?"

    :mrgreen:

    It works on a couple of levels, when you think about it.

    Taramoor on
    nUzGRMY.gif
    twitch.tv/Taramoor
    @TaramoorPlays
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At this point, I'd settle for either.

    zerg rush on
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    That's an excellent point. Personally, I thought that the Alaska Wildlife Preserves wouldn't be enough to make up for the fact that that Texas is close to being tapped dry (barring a lot of investment in new infrastructure), and that the Gulf of Mexico will be controlled by the United States Navy.

    Plus, think about it...Alaska? Less than 700,000 people right? A couple of battalions of Russian Marines, along with their tanks, BTRs, and food and *BAM*, it's the Autonomous Alaskan Oblast before you could say "Don't shoot, I'm Inuit" in Russian. Plus, even if they could remain independent, how would they even get the oil back to dur Hartland efficiently enough? Pipelines won't work.

    Then again, when their roads turn to dust, it won't matter anyway.

    I guess I can't complain about people having secessionist fetishes when I seem to have a fetish for them seceding and plummeting to hell while on fire.

    This has basically been my reaction since secession threats became a thing. "You mean you'd voluntarily relieve me of the burden of treating you as a fellow citizen? The fuck are you waiting for?"

    Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838


  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, that wacky GOP.
    Rep. Tom Price (R-GA) and 75 other House Republicans have introduced a resolution "expressing gratitude and appreciation to the individuals and families who participated in the Taxpayer March on Washington on September 12, 2009" -- and claiming that the Tea Party march drew many, many times more protesters than it actually did.

    Nothing like a nonbinding resolution as a sop instead of actually addressing ridiculous spending.

    galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Travan wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    That's an excellent point. Personally, I thought that the Alaska Wildlife Preserves wouldn't be enough to make up for the fact that that Texas is close to being tapped dry (barring a lot of investment in new infrastructure), and that the Gulf of Mexico will be controlled by the United States Navy.

    Plus, think about it...Alaska? Less than 700,000 people right? A couple of battalions of Russian Marines, along with their tanks, BTRs, and food and *BAM*, it's the Autonomous Alaskan Oblast before you could say "Don't shoot, I'm Inuit" in Russian. Plus, even if they could remain independent, how would they even get the oil back to dur Hartland efficiently enough? Pipelines won't work.

    Then again, when their roads turn to dust, it won't matter anyway.

    I guess I can't complain about people having secessionist fetishes when I seem to have a fetish for them seceding and plummeting to hell while on fire.

    This has basically been my reaction since secession threats became a thing. "You mean you'd voluntarily relieve me of the burden of treating you as a fellow citizen? The fuck are you waiting for?"

    "Have fun as a sovereign country! It's all the risks of being an American and none of the nuclear weapons or billion dollar aircraft carriers!"

    "But...but, if Lithuania can do it, so can we!"

    Synthesis on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    galenblade wrote: »
    Oh, that wacky GOP.
    Rep. Tom Price (R-GA) and 75 other House Republicans have introduced a resolution "expressing gratitude and appreciation to the individuals and families who participated in the Taxpayer March on Washington on September 12, 2009" -- and claiming that the Tea Party march drew many, many times more protesters than it actually did.

    Nothing like a nonbinding resolution as a sop instead of actually addressing ridiculous spending.

    If a protest that advocates a minimalist government gets support from the federal government, is it still a protest against the government?

    Cervetus on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Travan wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    That's an excellent point. Personally, I thought that the Alaska Wildlife Preserves wouldn't be enough to make up for the fact that that Texas is close to being tapped dry (barring a lot of investment in new infrastructure), and that the Gulf of Mexico will be controlled by the United States Navy.

    Plus, think about it...Alaska? Less than 700,000 people right? A couple of battalions of Russian Marines, along with their tanks, BTRs, and food and *BAM*, it's the Autonomous Alaskan Oblast before you could say "Don't shoot, I'm Inuit" in Russian. Plus, even if they could remain independent, how would they even get the oil back to dur Hartland efficiently enough? Pipelines won't work.

    Then again, when their roads turn to dust, it won't matter anyway.

    I guess I can't complain about people having secessionist fetishes when I seem to have a fetish for them seceding and plummeting to hell while on fire.

    This has basically been my reaction since secession threats became a thing. "You mean you'd voluntarily relieve me of the burden of treating you as a fellow citizen? The fuck are you waiting for?"

    "Have fun as a sovereign country! It's all the risks of being an American and none of the nuclear weapons or billion dollar aircraft carriers!"

    "But...but, if Lithuania can do it, so can we!"

    Actually they'd be a pretty major nuclear power. Naval would depend if they got Virginia.

    enlightenedbum on
    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Travan wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    That's an excellent point. Personally, I thought that the Alaska Wildlife Preserves wouldn't be enough to make up for the fact that that Texas is close to being tapped dry (barring a lot of investment in new infrastructure), and that the Gulf of Mexico will be controlled by the United States Navy.

    Plus, think about it...Alaska? Less than 700,000 people right? A couple of battalions of Russian Marines, along with their tanks, BTRs, and food and *BAM*, it's the Autonomous Alaskan Oblast before you could say "Don't shoot, I'm Inuit" in Russian. Plus, even if they could remain independent, how would they even get the oil back to dur Hartland efficiently enough? Pipelines won't work.

    Then again, when their roads turn to dust, it won't matter anyway.

    I guess I can't complain about people having secessionist fetishes when I seem to have a fetish for them seceding and plummeting to hell while on fire.

    This has basically been my reaction since secession threats became a thing. "You mean you'd voluntarily relieve me of the burden of treating you as a fellow citizen? The fuck are you waiting for?"

    "Have fun as a sovereign country! It's all the risks of being an American and none of the nuclear weapons or billion dollar aircraft carriers!"

    "But...but, if Lithuania can do it, so can we!"

    Actually they'd be a pretty major nuclear power. Naval would depend if they got Virginia.

    All the launch codes are in DC, the entire nerve center for intel and dod is in VA... and NoVA, you know, the liberal commie va.

    psychotix on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are times when we're 50 states and there are times when we're one country.

    If any of the current states (with the possible exception of Utah) were to secede from the Union, it would weaken every last one of us. Then again, I'm also fairly certain that those advocating secession have no idea what it would entail or just how badly it would fuck them up, so... there you go.

    Taramoor on
    nUzGRMY.gif
    twitch.tv/Taramoor
    @TaramoorPlays
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, one of our Supreme Court Justices
    In an appearance at the University of Arizona College of Law, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said that if he were on the court in 1954, he would have dissented in the landmark Brown vs. Board of Education decision that ended school segregation based on race.

    Appearing on stage with Justice Stephen Breyer, Scalia cautioned against "inventing new rights nobody ever thought existed." Scalia said he advocates an "originalist" approach to the Constitution, warning against an "evolutionary" legal philosophy that he described as, "close your eyes and decide what you think is a good idea.''

    Phoenix's East Valley Tribune reported:
    Using his "originalist'' philosophy, Scalia said he likely would have dissented from the historic 1954 Brown v. Board of Education decision that declared school segregation illegal and struck down the system of "separate but equal'' public schools. He said that decision, which overturned earlier precedent, was designed to provide an approach the majority liked better.

    "I will stipulate that it will,'' Scalia said. But he said that doesn't make it right. "Kings can do some stuff, some good stuff, that a democratic society could never do,'' he continued.

    "Hitler developed a wonderful automobile,'' Scalia said. "What does that prove?''


    "The only thing you can be sure of is the Constitution will mean whatever the American people want it to mean today,'' Scalia said. "And that's not what a Constitution is for. The whole purpose of a constitution is to constrain the desires of the current society.''

    SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    fuck that pisses me off. I hope he dies soon.

    NotYou on
This discussion has been closed.