As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Japanimation] It's not like I like you or anything! You d-d-dummy!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can't stand Ranma, and it's mostly because of the weeaboo I knew in California. Aside from being a total prick, he had this Girl-Type shirt he'd wear anywhere we went and it's like... No, I don't know this person, he's been following me around pretending to do Dragon Ball Z sounds randomly.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Romantic comedies. That's still one area I'll never give the light of day to. They're all the same nowadays. I'd give Ranma a chance if it wasn't for the fact that Rumiko Takahashi has a nasty habit of dragging her series on forever!

Oh yeah. Part of watching Ranma 1/2 is just accepting it's not going to end. Like, well, most shounen shows involving fighting or martial arts.

(If I'd starting watching the show when I was 22, as oppose to 12, I probably would not have held it in the same light.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I enjoyed Toradora until the writers realized that they had to make an ending and then welp.

I remember you posting that in the last thread and I really, really disagree with you.

I could have sworn I posted that many threads ago instead!

Anyhow, my main beef with the ending is how incredibly rushed the relationship was in the semi-final episode.

And heck, just the semi-final episode in general.

The last episode certainly could have been worse and they did the best with what they had considering the previous episode, but I still found it to be a pretty unsatisfying ending.

You missed a chance to use the word "penultimate" in the correct sense!

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    darksteel wrote: »
    The first time me and my friends watched the scene in Fate/Stay Night where Shiro and company hole up in the shed, we were like, "oh right, this was from an eroge, god look at this."

And then there was the CGI dragon and everyone was like "okaaaaaaaay..."

Sister figure? check.
    Younger female friend who worships him, and calls him sempai in that creepy whispery voice? check.
    Summoned sexy being who he has the potential to command to do anything? check. (bonus points for her not caring if he walks in on her naked.)
    Creepy little girl falling in his lap? check.
    It's got everything!
    You forgot Rider.

Also, Taiga occupies space that *would* in some other games be a path but (for all our sakes) isn't in F/SN.

Speaking of FSN... it always surprises me that they never got into Shirou's parentage.

very minor
    I mean, the dude's some kind of idiot savant mage made of SWORDS. And he's just kind of... there.

I mean, I assume that
    Avalon had something to do with it, but you'd think with how important that area was to all the different factions, there wouldn't be some random super powerful magekid just putzing around.
    ======
    Re:Toradora

The problem with Toradora's ending wasn't the ending, but how it got there. The destination was obvious from the first 30 seconds of the first episode. The journey, however, decided to suddenly nose dive off the side of the cliff into a shrieking heap before dragging itself up and limping to the finish line.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

The problem with Toradora's ending wasn't the ending, but how it got there. The destination was obvious from the first 30 seconds of the first episode. The journey, however, decided to suddenly nose dive off the side of the cliff into a shrieking heap before dragging itself up and limping to the finish line.

Care to elaborate? I think "the journey, not the destination" is the times we live in for like anything written or created at this point.

Henroid on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    no naruto this week, huh

figures that it cuts off just as soon as it has a chance of being rad for a chapter or two

Rust on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I enjoyed Toradora until the writers realized that they had to make an ending and then welp.

I remember you posting that in the last thread and I really, really disagree with you.

I could have sworn I posted that many threads ago instead!

Anyhow, my main beef with the ending is how incredibly rushed the relationship was in the semi-final episode.

And heck, just the semi-final episode in general.

The last episode certainly could have been worse and they did the best with what they had considering the previous episode, but I still found it to be a pretty unsatisfying ending.

You missed a chance to use the word "penultimate" in the correct sense!

D:
    Romantic comedies. That's still one area I'll never give the light of day to. They're all the same nowadays. I'd give Ranma a chance if it wasn't for the fact that Rumiko Takahashi has a nasty habit of dragging her series on forever!

Don't view Ranma as a romantic comedy, just view it as a comedy with occasional romance! If you go in expecting amusing hijinks with a colorful cast of characters, you'll be golden.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wouldn't "romantic comedy" be "A comedy with romantic elements" and "comedic romance" be "a romance with comedic elements"? We categorize things weirdly.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wouldn't "romantic comedy" be "A comedy with romantic elements" and "comedic romance" be "a romance with comedic elements"? We categorize things weirdly.

Meh, better to just look at them as one in the same. Since they all tend to have varying comedy to romance ratios anyway.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Don't view Ranma as a romantic comedy, just view it as a comedy with occasional romance! If you go in expecting amusing hijinks with a colorful cast of characters, you'll be golden.

Yes!

Oh, and the OVA (and films) are good examples of the penultimate (haha, see what I did there?) in hand-drawn animation (before the more widespread use of computers for coloring, or...something...).

The point is, they're real pretty.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yaaay a Kyouya-centered episode (Ouran). He always gets the best lines.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Meh, better to just look at them as one in the same. Since they all tend to have varying comedy to romance ratios anyway.

I was mostly musing over word use.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2009

Care to elaborate? I think "the journey, not the destination" is the times we live in for like anything written or created at this point.

The short version is that almost all of it was painfully machinated and relied on most of the cast acting so far out of character that it was impossible to swallow, combined with a misplaced climax that totally negated any possible impact.

The long version is:
    The scene where they all surrounded Taiga and gave the "be true to your feelings" speech was painfully manufactured and completely unbelievable. Then it got worse when her response was to start SCREAMING AND NOT STOP HOLY SHIT THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I can't even imagine what they were thinking when they wrote that.

From there, they skipped any semblence of a romantic climax and leaped to "Wanna get married?" No sharing of feelings. No kiss. No high. Nothing even meant to create a dramatic moment. Just "let's run away." And again, things got worse by the rest of the class suddenly completely breaking character and turning into brainless cheerleaders supporting them.

Two episodes prior, Ami and Minori were physically fighting over Ryuuji. A couple days later, nothing would please them more than to support their friends in ruining their lives.

And then after they run away, the writers attempt to unring the bell and throw in the romantic scene. Great.

Oh yeah, and about the last minute angst... Taiga's whininess, fine. Ryuuji's whininess, painfully moronic and impossible to swallow.

Y: "You'll be happier if you go to college, so I'm going to work extra."
    R: "..."
    Y: "Oops, now I'm sick."
    R: "I HATE YOU YOU DON'T CARE WHAT I WANT I'M RUNNING AWAY FROM HOME!"

He went from this nice guy who tried to help other people whenever he count to an incompetent whiny self-centered little twat over the course of about 5 minutes just to give him a reason to run off with her and then it was solved again in a single sentence.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of FSN, I recently got to play the VN and finished both the Fate and UBW routes. Really enjoyed the latter.

I'm done with the anime though. I was already getting bored with it by episode 15 but playing the VN just makes me dislike it even more. Hopefully the upcoming movie will be a better adaptation than the show.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just watched The Place Promised in Our Early Days.

I don't think I got this movie. Like... I understood the plot, as far as there was a plot, but I don't really get what it's about.

Pretty animation though I guess.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I don't think I got this movie. Like... I understood the plot, as far as there was a plot, but I don't really get what it's about.

Any anime that features an F-15 being shot down by a Su-47 (well, some sort of futuristic forward-swept wing aircraft with a Sukhoi's profile anyway, they're both visible for about two seconds), and then reveals that the pilot was made almost entirely of ketchup is okay in my book.

And there was some nonsense about her being unable to escape her dreams, blah blah, so forth.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    darksteel wrote: »
    The first time me and my friends watched the scene in Fate/Stay Night where Shiro and company hole up in the shed, we were like, "oh right, this was from an eroge, god look at this."

And then there was the CGI dragon and everyone was like "okaaaaaaaay..."

Sister figure? check.
    Younger female friend who worships him, and calls him sempai in that creepy whispery voice? check.
    Summoned sexy being who he has the potential to command to do anything? check. (bonus points for her not caring if he walks in on her naked.)
    Creepy little girl falling in his lap? check.
    It's got everything!
    You forgot Rider.

Also, Taiga occupies space that *would* in some other games be a path but (for all our sakes) isn't in F/SN.

Speaking of FSN... it always surprises me that they never got into Shirou's parentage.

very minor
    I mean, the dude's some kind of idiot savant mage made of SWORDS. And he's just kind of... there.

I mean, I assume that
    Avalon had something to do with it, but you'd think with how important that area was to all the different factions, there wouldn't be some random super powerful magekid just putzing around.
    It's a rather brutal application of survival of the fittest, isn't it?

One could certainly make the argument that if Shirou WASN'T special to begin with, he would never have survived the destruction created by the prior Grail War to begin with.

So, yeah, what the hell is he doing there? Personally, I think it's easiest just to blame (rogue) elements of the Church. It's plain they're pretty shit for oversight.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yes!

Oh, and the OVA (and films) are good examples of the penultimate (haha, see what I did there?) in hand-drawn animation (before the more widespread use of computers for coloring, or...something...).

This is true. Well, on the bright side. Even it goes on for a long time, it doesn't seem to be built on a premise that should've been taken care of in a 24-50 episode span. Unlike say, Inuyasha.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yes!

This is true. Well, on the bright side. Even it goes on for a long time, it doesn't seem to be built on a premise that should've been taken care of in a 24-50 episode span. Unlike say, Inuyasha.

The Ranma 1/2 manga, to its credit, does the same thing (dragging on and on and on), though it does come to an end eventually. Really, the whole premise of the series is something Takahashi really did intend to drag out forever and ever in all forms. At least, that's how it appears to me.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So after all your gentle urgings, I'm sticking to Baccarat ...I mean, Baccano! After watching the comedy relief team of Issac and Miria, though, do Japanese viewers also follow the stereotype that blonds are airheads? Miria is soooo goofy ... and soooo blond!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Any anime that features an F-15 being shot down by a Su-47 (well, some sort of futuristic forward-swept wing aircraft with a Sukhoi's profile anyway, they're both visible for about two seconds), and then reveals that the pilot was made almost entirely of ketchup is okay in my book.

And there was some nonsense about her being unable to escape her dreams, blah blah, so forth.

So... was that a metaphor? Or an allegory? Was the ending supposed to be happy, sad, or bittersweet, or what?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

So... was that a metaphor? Or an allegory? Was the ending supposed to be happy, sad, or bittersweet, or what?

You mean the F-15 getting dusted by the Su-47? It's a metaphor, if metaphors were just actual events that happened really really fast.

As for the ending with the girl....actually, I think it was supposed to be taken literally. o_O Honestly, somehow, she was controlling the effects of the Ezo Tower, or reacting with it, or something.
    Sucks that it got blown up though. I didn't really care what happened to her, but a tower that can communicate with other universes? Fuck yeah, that's the biggest shit since Gagarin went into space.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ITT: People who don't like School Rumble are heartless abominations.

Duwa!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    gawd, the thread title reminds me of how much i hate tsunderes

just the whole stupid concept

luckily my preferences keep me far away from them for the most part

except for deconstructions like asuka who show what really happens when somebody acts like that

Rust on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Where did it even come from? Japanese culture seems to like keeping the women folk in their place, so is a girl with any sort of sass such an anomaly that they get crunched into that weird cliche, or what? Do Japanese men enjoy being berated and yelled at? Are all manga and anime writers 11 years old and the only concept of affection they can handle is a schoolyard crush acted out through random acts of petty violence?

Why, Japan, why?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gammarah wrote: »
    OHSHC truly is the greatest.
    "Its obvious that in this romantic comedy, Haruhi and I are the main characters!"

"Then who are we?"

"You two are obviously the homo side characters. So please don't cross this line."

This had me in stitches the first time I watched it.
    HomoSideCharacters.jpg

HomoLine.jpg

DontCrossTheLine.jpg

For those who want more realistic romcom series Nodame Cantabile, Honey & Clover and Cross Game are all good. Honey & Clover has the most drama of the three, Cross Game is more slice of life/sports with romance elements.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cross Game is all about the hot blooded baseball action and dry as white wine one liners. Romance is optional.

Edit: Sentence structure, what the hell.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's not like I like you or anything, I just happened to have an extra vagina!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know. Cross Game is all about pitching wars lately which is frankly boring. I confess. I am a romance junkie.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Where did it even come from? Japanese culture seems to like keeping the women folk in their place, so is a girl with any sort of sass such an anomaly that they get crunched into that weird cliche, or what? Do Japanese men enjoy being berated and yelled at? Are all manga and anime writers 11 years old and the only concept of affection they can handle is a schoolyard crush acted out through random acts of petty violence?

Why, Japan, why?

Japanese women acting like spirited youths are tolerated up until they're 25. After that, their lives begin to resemble 'old Jewish couple' comedy bits with an Asian twist. They yell at each other because they care. <3

emnmnme on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

You mean the F-15 getting dusted by the Su-47? It's a metaphor, if metaphors were just actual events that happened really really fast.

As for the ending with the girl....actually, I think it was supposed to be taken literally. o_O Honestly, somehow, she was controlling the effects of the Ezo Tower, or reacting with it, or something.
    Sucks that it got blown up though. I didn't really care what happened to her, but a tower that can communicate with other universes? Fuck yeah, that's the biggest shit since Gagarin went into space.

All of Shinkai's movies revolve around distance (between people) as one of the major themes. The sci-fi plot is pretty much just a set up to create that distance between the main characters.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Why, Japan, why?

I would advise against treating fictional entertainment as an actual reflection of real life.

You know, the same way I would advise against people who've seen Twilight or the TV series Friends believing it to be a reflection of the American woman's romantic ideal. But I've been wrong before.
    Joule wrote: »
    All of Shinkai's movies revolve around distance (between people) as one of the major themes. The sci-fi plot is pretty much just a set up to create that distance between the main characters.

That's not surprising (he's got another film eerily similar to this one...at least, I think it's him), but the sci-fi bit is more interesting. Divided Japan! American tanks! Soviets can talk to little green men in other dimensions!

I thought HamHamJ might have thought (as I did, briefly) that the whole thing did not actually "happen", but instead, was a manifestation that broke off from the main plot. It's kind of hard to describe but, then again, so is the plot of the film, I suppose?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    I don't know. Cross Game is all about pitching wars lately which is frankly boring. I confess. I am a romance junkie.

Have you seen the most recent episode?
    What I like about Cross Game so much is how it transitions between the sports side of things and everyday life. With the baseball season finished for now we turn to character related arcs.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Why, Japan, why?

I would advise against treating fictional entertainment as an actual reflection of real life.

You know, the same way I would advise against people who've seen Twilight or the TV series Friends believing it to be a reflection of the American woman's romantic ideal. But I've been wrong before.

even if you don't treat it as a reflection of real life it's fair to ask about its origins

twilight came from a teenage virgin girl's twisted victorian ideals of romance

and friends came from the pits of hell

so there's nothing wrong with applying that line of inquiry to japanese romance tropes also

though personally i'm cool with just scoffing at them so hard i run the risk of hocking up a loogie

Rust on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tsundere is just an easy way to create tension in a relationship.

Like the X-Files.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »

Have you seen the most recent episode?
    What I like about Cross Game so much is how it transitions between the sports side of things and everyday life. With the baseball season finished for now we turn to character related arcs.
    I just find the baseball predictable. Kou and Azuma seem to be the only ones who are competent. I thought Miki would join the team at some point but apparently I was wrong. So, yes, I'm only in for the character development.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rust wrote: »

Why, Japan, why?

even if you don't treat it as a reflection of real life it's fair to ask about its origins

twilight came from a teenage virgin girl's twisted victorian ideals of romance

and friends came from the pits of hell

so there's nothing wrong with applying that line of inquiry to japanese romance tropes also

though personally i'm cool with just scoffing at them so hard i run the risk of hocking up a loogie

True, it is always interesting to inquire as to why we've come to this point. A PhD candidate (well, not anymore, I just really don't like the idea of calling him "Doctor") whom I'm good friends with runs what he calls the Mikage Seminar* purely for this purpose, though we don't usually limit ourselves to ideas of romance. I usually end up being the 'dissenting' voice in that I say, "Let's not be too hasty--I didn't think coming to America meant I'd have to loose my shirt, grab a machinegun and bandanna, and bring down the man, and neither should you." Conditioned reaction, unfortunately. :(

Scoffing, though, is both emotive and classy. Better than bad counter-examples.

*From Revolutionary Girl Utena. Watch it or don't, do say I didn't warn you. I still don't know precisely what happened.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Juice, could you give me everyone's recommendations in a html friendly format?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

Why, Japan, why?

Japanese women acting like spirited youths are tolerated up until they're 25. After that, their lives begin to resemble 'old Jewish couple' comedy bits with an Asian twist. They yell at each other because they care. <3

Nowadays, a huge number of them are incredibly shallow and won't even give you the time of day unless you have an income over a certain amount. It's apparently turning into a huge problem. Also, leeching off their retired parents' incomes to live an "Under-25" lifestyle for as long as possible.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Joule wrote: »

That's not surprising (he's got another film eerily similar to this one...at least, I think it's him)
    Pfft yea, like all the movies he's ever made :V

setrajonas on
This discussion has been closed.