As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I keep hearing about how the blocks used to build the Pyramids are so well-fitted together, you can't slide a sheet of paper between them. Could we recreate the Pyramids with modern tools without any problems?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    High pressure water/modern saw blades/cranes are wonderful tools so without breaking a sweat, yeah, we can probably do a better job actually.

I imagine erosion over a couple millenia is a pretty good way of ensuring a giant pile of stone fits together real well plays a part too.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I keep hearing about how the blocks used to build the Pyramids are so well-fitted together, you can't slide a sheet of paper between them. Could we recreate the Pyramids with modern tools without any problems?
    They're all rectangular blocks, with straight edges and right angles. Getting them fitted tightly together is not difficult. Overall, the pyramids were wonders of ancient architecture not because they were complex or advanced, but because they were long and tedious to build, and because solving the architectural challenges involved using the low tech available in those days required very ingenious (but not complex nor advanced) work-arounds.

And yes, building a pyramid with modern technology is trivial, if expansive.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What a coincidence: my girlfriend and I spent the last week in Egypt and visited the Gizeh pyramids on Tuesday.

Observation 1: The entrance to the grave chamber is narrow as hell and nearly gave me a panic attack. (I felt like scaredicat Charles Bronson in The Great Escape.)

Observation 2: I didn't get much of a feeling of mysticism from the pyramids, although they're impressive enough, but...

Observation 3: ... I kept thinking of Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. Is there a fan remake of the game somewhere out there? God, that must be my third-favourite adventure (after Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 2).

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thirith wrote: »
    What a coincidence: my girlfriend and I spent the last week in Egypt and visited the Gizeh pyramids on Tuesday.

Observation 1: The entrance to the grave chamber is narrow as hell and nearly gave me a panic attack. (I felt like scaredicat Charles Bronson in The Great Escape.)

Observation 2: I didn't get much of a feeling of mysticism from the pyramids, although they're impressive enough, but...

Observation 3: ... I kept thinking of Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. Is there a fan remake of the game somewhere out there? God, that must be my third-favourite adventure (after Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 2).

Really? I thought they were closed to tourists now. I heard that somewhere. They were getting too much damage from thousands of people going in every year. I guess I was misinformed.

I visited Egypt decades ago, when I was 12. And I got to go inside the Great Pyramid itself, too. hi-5! I wonder how many more people around here went inside the pyramids?

Yeah, the passages were tight, but dude, the Great Hallway before the King's Chamger? That one was huge and impressive!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thirith wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zak_McKracken_and_the_Alien_Mindbenders#Fan_sequels

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    No.

215544448_YkfJx-L-2.jpg

I love this comic.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.