As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Activites to do in Tulum mexico

Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey Guy's,I'm getting married in Mexico in Dec With 2 sets of family from both sides of the pond but having 2 sets of family's staying at 2 different resorts means we would like to have a few things that are outside of the resort to go and do,

Now some stuff is obvious like the ruins, everyone recommends them!

but what else do you recommend/find for a group with lots of age and fitness ranges? (although even the old un's are up for anything!)

thanks for any replies!:mrgreen:

6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
Angel177 on

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pureto Morelos is a nice little town a little bit south of Playa del Carmen. It's intentionally anti-tourist (there aren't big hotel chains and stuff), so it's a pretty quiet town, but it's right on the beach and a good place to just sit back with a beer and space out for a day/night.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Definitely hit some of the beaches - Tulum actually has some of the nicest beaches in the area - rent some snorkel gear and go check out the tropical fish... The Yucatan has the second largest barrier reef in the world, so check it out!

Barracuda, Grouper, and Green and Loggerhead Turtles can regularly be seen in the area and well, I could look at fish all day.

The Chichen Itza is touristy but also one of the wonders of the ancient world for a reason. Next time I am in the Yucatan I plan to hit up Uxmal, from what I've read it's definitely worth the trip.

Just a few warnings - driving in Mexico is pretty nuts, if you are renting a car and driving, make sure the person driving has an international license - there are cops everywhere. If someone else is driving (ie you took a taxi) be like my wife and just don't watch.

If people are into tequila you could always try to arrange a tour of one of the tequilarias or blue agave farms in the area.

Phisti on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One problem with Chichen Itza, is that you can no longer climb on the pyramid, supposedly due to people slipping and falling.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    One problem with Chichen Itza, is that you can no longer climb on the pyramid, supposedly due to people slipping and falling.

I'm one of them <3. Though I didn't file anything, since I was passed out from the fever when I fell.

Sucks that they made it off limits though, had a great view from what I can remember.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    SinterSinter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't have time for a proper reply, but all I can say is:

Cenotes.
    (Snorkeling or Scuba-ing in them)

They're all over the area down there, just got to do the research on which ones are the best.

Sinter on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It may be too touristy for the go-native types but there's a company down there called Alltournative that does zipline tours and off-road/snorkeling expeditions in Unimogs and canoes. They seemed pretty professional and emphasized low-impact touring rather than exploiting.

Backstop on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    thanks for the Answers guy's the tour stuff is a big out since I'm trying to keep this cheap but more on good places to eat and drink, and more importantly WHAT to drink, Recommend ON!

So how far is Uxmal driving? it looks further than the Cancun Airport and that's an hour and a half..

Keep it coming!

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Uxmal would be a whole-day, perhaps overnight, situation between getting there and back and seeing anything. I don't think the roads approaching it are that great but they may have been improved. There's a truckload of construction always always going on as the government tries to attract more tourism.

I know a bus tour from Cancun/playa to Chichen Itza is a whole day and Uxmal is a lot farther.

There was a nice restaurant in Puerto Morales called Pelicanos (as in Pelican). PM is a little fishing town but I heard they are building it up for resrots and tourism (see above). Aside from that we mostly ate in Playa del Carmen, there's a large touristy section with markets and places to eat. Some are Johnny Rockets and other American joints but others are local-owned.

Backstop on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Collectivos are exciting.

I was in the area 5.5 years ago. Some resort near Playa Del Carmen.

Did the Chichen Itza thing. Enjoyed it.

Also snorkeled Akumal Beach. Saw some sea turtles, barracuda and other cool fishes.

Seriously the Collectivo rides are exciting.

EskimoDave on