As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kitty issue

galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I just got a new kitty. She's adorable and everything. But I've been having an issue pop up that I need help on.

She scratches stuff. Mainly, my rug, which is rather expensive and I don't want her tearing up. Easy, you say. Get a scratching post. Well, I got a scratching pad and put it somewhere she can find, but she doesn't really use it. I dosed it with catnip and she essentially just buries her face in it and tries to lick it.

Ideally I want her to use the scratching pad, but I can't figure out how to get her to do so.

There's a complicating factor, too. She's blind, so I can't really show her how to do it. Like, if I pick her up to take her to the box, she freaks and is rather uncompliant. Understandably so, as she doesn't know where she's going. And even if I do get her over there, she may not get the connection.

Anyone have any experience with this?

linksig.jpg
galenblade on

• Options
    NaeblissNaebliss Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure what you should do, but I do know what you shouldn't do. Do not get her declawed. I declawed my cat and it totally changed her personality. I feel terribly guilty whenever I think about it.

Naebliss on
    This couch is the comfiest!
    Street Fighter 4 (pc): sdurien
    Steam: Jon http://steamcommunity.com//profiles/76561197970923897/home
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Naebliss wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you should do, but I do know what you shouldn't do. Do not get her declawed. I declawed my cat and it totally changed her personality. I feel terribly guilty whenever I think about it.

Oh absolutely. Shoulda mentioned that. Not getting her declawed at all. Not an option. I view it as inhumane. Hopefully can find an option where kitty keeps her claws.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2009
    Have you considered getting softpaws?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Some friends of mine have two cats that are carpet lovers. They went to a carpet store and got a bunch of free samples of different lengths and textures of carpet. Then they let their kitties test all of them and decide which they liked best. Now their cats seek out their special cheap carpet and leave the nice carpet alone... they were easy like that. You could even get several samples of your cat's favorite carpet and leave them in select places so your cat never has far to go for some carpet.
    Pussies and carpet, the possibilities are endless for jokes in this thread.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Seeing as the scratching casualty in question is a rug, the double-sided tape trick doesn't really work. If the cat doesn't like being picked up and moved around.. softpaws would be the best option.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    phoxphyrephoxphyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just a thought -- she might not know that the post is for scratching. And being blind she won't be happy if you just put her front paws on the post.

What always drives my cats to scratch is me running my nails up and down their post. They have a carpeted vertical post (with levels), and I dig my fingers into the carpet and drag up the post. This generally results in cats launching themselves at post to scratch feverishly!

Is the scratching post a *post* or does it have a decent foot on the floor? Perhaps she'd be happier scratching horizontally? Then she can stretch her back while pulling with her hind legs.

Do try scratching the post while she's next to it. Also perhaps move the post next to the rug, and when you catch her scratching the rug move her to the post and start scratching it!

Good luck!

phoxphyre on
    Remember the Slug; They have all the disadvantages of Snails, but without the benefit of home-ownership...
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The scratching thing needs to be in a prominent area, so that when she gets the impulse to scratch it's likely to be the first thing she sees.

Whenever she's scratching the carpet, just pick her up and move her to the scratching thing. Maybe give it a scratch or two of your own to see if she gets the idea.

TL DR on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so that when she gets the impulse to scratch it's likely to be the first thing she sees.

Whenever she's scratching the carpet, just pick her up and move her
    galenblade wrote: »
    There's a complicating factor, too. She's blind, so I can't really show her how to do it. Like, if I pick her up to take her to the box, she freaks and is rather uncompliant.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You're great for taking in a blind cat! Yay.

Cats will learn where things in the house are, so as the cat gets used to the way things are set up, this will work to your advantage.

You should get soft paws, already mentioned once. Even if you just use them in transition. Second, not all cats are going to enjoy the same feelings on their paws. Some love the rough cardboard, but may prefer it to be upright instead of horizontal. Others love rough rope or different kinds of carpet and cloth materials. You will want a combination of vertical and horizontal surfaces available and try out different materials to see which your cat enjoys scratching most.

Your cat needs to learn spatially in the environment where her stuff is (scratching post included). Picking her up will mean she doesn't know how to get back to it (and frankly cats are dicks about this already). It's also a big surprise when you don't see the arms coming for you and is probably causing a fear reaction.

I would try (as someone else suggested) attempting to appeal to the senses that your cat still has, by scratching on the posts/pads surfaces with your own nails, and giving a lot of praise when she comes near to investigate. Best way to praise is probably treat and verbal encouragement not touch. Cats also love to erase other scents by rubbing themselves and scratching over top. However its not always easy to find what your cat enjoys. Young cats don't usually respond to catnip but it's still a good way to show that things belong to her. You may also try honeysuckle spray:

http://www.cattoys.com/hosp.html

My cat rubs himself all over dirty socks, too! Try out a few things that smell strongly to get your cat interested in the pad. However, I would put the soft paws on so that you're not stressed out about the rug in the meantime, because if you are trying to rush things to save the rug the cat will just get more stubborn.

onceling on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does your cat scratch in one particular place on the rug? If so, try getting one of those cardboard scratching pads that lay flat on the floor and placing it over the kitty's "scratching spot". Our cats love them to death, we've got one in every room now.

zilo on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    so that when she gets the impulse to scratch it's likely to be the first thing she sees.

Whenever she's scratching the carpet, just pick her up and move her
    galenblade wrote: »
    There's a complicating factor, too. She's blind, so I can't really show her how to do it. Like, if I pick her up to take her to the box, she freaks and is rather uncompliant.

Damn my skimming.

Those press-on nails sound like the best bet then.

TL DR on
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Has she been blind from birth? If she's new it'll take awhile for her to find things like the litter box and other essentials in the house. Not that it's designed as a cat training book but I heard an interview on the radio with a lady who wrote a sort of cat biography called Homer's Oddessy about adopting and living with a cat that had been blind since birth.

If you're not a fan of the declawing option then really getting those softpaws or other little claw caps seems to be the best solution that offers quicker results than hoping she learns not to tear up the carpet. Just a side note, if she's not fond of being handled be prepared to learn how to properly wrap a cat into a towel and fish out one leg at a time for capping or just get used to really scratched up arms. My sister's cat was a major scratcher and putting those caps on her cat was not a pleasant experience.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm not a fan of the softpaws as a long-term solution. Even me grabbing her paws to show her the scratching bed is a "run away" situation. I think that I will try to see if she's more interested in other materials. I've also put the scratching thing (it's a horizontal one) on her favorite place to scratch on the carpet. We'll see how that goes.

I suppose one other thing I can do is physically remove the rug for a bit until she gets into the scratching pad.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is a tough one. If she was a sighted cat, you could just spray her with a water spray bottle whenever she scratches in the wrong place, and reward her when she scratches in the right place. But you might have to live with the scratching to a slightly larger degree than most cat owners, if she fails to learn the difference between where she can and can't scratch. We all live with it a little anyway.

There are also deterents that you spray on things and cats supposedly don't like the smell. That might be good for your rug. And then there are motion sensor deterrents that emit a sound, or a water spray. I can't vouch for any of these, but they are out there.

Saddler on
  • Options
    igamenekkidigamenekkid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    First, and it's already been said, but you are an amazing person for adopting a blind kitty.

Seriously, I'm tearing up like a pansy.

Second, we have two cats. Our first, and oldest, refuses to learn to scratch anything but a certain chair. The second, and newest, took to a cat scratching post like a king. Attempts to punish the first cat (by startle, water bottle, etc.) has taught her to wait until we're not home. The only thing that worked for us is the clear cat tape, which isn't very pretty, and may not be an option if the rug is the target of scratching.

The side effect however, is that her nails now grow incredibly long, and she sounds like a tranny in an alley whenever she walks across our hardwood floors. There's plenty of stuff outside for her to scratch on, but she seems to refuse. My friend has those "press on nails" for his kitty, and they have saved his house.

Definitely do not declaw, the poor thing has it hard enough as it is.

Plus, where are the pictures? My God, are you new here? :-)

igamenekkid on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There so needs to be a checkbox on new H/A threads that says "Is this a pet thread?"
    If it is, it forces you to post pics.

Also, +50 for taking a blind kitty. You sir are a brave man.

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    She might be blind, but she's the friendliest cat I've ever seen, once she gets comfortable with you. Loves to be petted and all that. Her blindness isn't really a tremendous detriment once she gets used to her surroundings. She navigates a lot by smell, touch, and hearing. At times I forget she's blind.

But for those who want her full story, here you go. It's rather heart-wrenching, though.
    She was a stray, found on the street pretty much dead. They brought her in and actually had to resuscitate her. Barely alive.

And as the place that got her does Trap-Neuter-Release, she was promptly spayed. It was only after they were in the middle of doing it that they found out she was pregnant, and they had to abort the litter.

And once she came out from the anesthetic, she was blind. She had apparently had an averse reaction to something in the anesthetic, it occasionally happens in cats. But yeah, a series of bad things have happened to this cat, so she deserves a bit of a comfortable life now.

And since requested, the only real pic I have of Sunny, my cat. From her Petfinder profile.
    Sunny.jpg

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    igamenekkidigamenekkid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That story, her cuteness, and your kindness...

...I'm submitting your name to the "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" people.

You deserve a mansion.

Expect a bus to pull up in your yard shortly.

igamenekkid on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    Have you considered getting softpaws?
    This. Do this.

http://www.softpaws.com/

I'm having some trouble getting my kitten to scratch only his post, he sometimes likes to dig his claws into the rug too. So I'm thinking of going the softpaws route shortly.

edit: i apologize, i forgot the rules...here he is sharpening his claws on the air

10618_149027540668_727885668_2764529_5166621_n.jpg

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Naebliss wrote: »

On the other hand, I declawed my cat and not only is she the same cat, she still tries to sharpen her claws on stuff.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have you tried trimming her claws? It's really not as difficult as a lot of people claim it to be.

Mogs on