As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need to reduce filesize of PDF while changing almost nothing.

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
I'm currently applying to graduate schools. Several of them asked for a transcript upload. Unfortunately, scanned images of my school's lovely and very busy official transcript are 2.8 Mb, whereas the maximum accepted filesize is 2 Mb because the people who made Embark are dicks.

What can I do to reduce the filesize while altering very little of the image?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Huh, I started googling "reduce file" and the first entry in the list below was "reduce file size pdf." I guess everyone wants to do this.

http://blog.nitropdf.com/index.php/2008/02/11/5-tricks-to-shrinkreduce-pdf-file-size/

Sounds like downloading a PDF printer or creator and re-saving the file might do it.

EDIT: Also, these are just scanned images? It could help a lot just by opening them in MSPaint or some editing program and deleting large swaths of white space (or dot-specked space). Here's a random photocopied doc I found online to illustrate:

rom100108.gif

Cleaned up:
    rom1001082.gif

This gif goes from 49k to 36k. Of course I didn't do a perfectly clean job either.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ah, both nice ideas. Thanks for the tips, I'll do this tonight and see how it works.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For a PDF printer, download CutePDF (free and safe) and you can reprint them to new PDFs.

Also, if you know of anyone with a copy of Adobe Acrobat Professional, there is a "Reduce file size" option in the File pull-down I believe.

Chalkbot on
  • Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have acrobat if you need it done, shoot me a PM.

Spectral Swallow on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chalkbot wrote: »
    For a PDF printer, download CutePDF (free and safe) and you can reprint them to new PDFs.

Also, if you know of anyone with a copy of Adobe Acrobat Professional, there is a "Reduce file size" option in the File pull-down I believe.

PDF Creator also does the trick.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.