Options

I this a good treadmill?

RhinoRhino TheRhinLOLRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001DEV3HG

I'm 6'4" and about 215 lbs.
I run about 3-5 miles a day at an average of 10 min/mile and run 5 times a week.

Anything I should look out for? Is that a good price?
I don't need nothing fancy, just something to keep me moving till winter passes.

93mb4.jpg
Rhino on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks good to me, although you can also check out local thrift stores and see if they have any for much cheaper.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A note about treadmills. The bigger you are, the bigger they, and their motor needs to be.

Go to a local fitness store or Dick's Sporting Goods or a similar store. Get on a treadmill like this one and try it for a minute or two if they'll allow you. It sounds like you're going to use this as a jogging/running treadmill. This means that in all likelihood it is going to break, it's just a question of how long that takes. When you're trying it out, try to pay attention to how much effort the motor is putting into speeding the tread back up when you put your foot back down. Continuous duty is good but in the end treadmills just die because they're used and the more heavily they're used the faster they die. You often get what you pay for with treadmills so while the lower range might be affordable they're likely going to die before the more expensive models.

In my younger days working at Dick's we sold plenty of cheap treadmills to big dudes who invariably came back to complain that the $300 or $400 treadmill they bought was breaking.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Any good sporting store should let you try them in person, actually. If they don't, leave.

Oh and yeah, I forgot about the weight thing. Mine will stop cold if I step on it if it's below 2mph.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The problem with buying local is that I don't have a truck. This has "free" shipping. Do most sporting good stores deliver?

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Some of the more specialized fitness stores might do free delivery. I haven't worked or shopped at Dick's Sporting Goods in years so I'm unsure if they offer delivery. If you're serious about finding a good treadmill that you won't destroy too quickly by tromping around on it it might be best just to find a friend with a truck or rent one for an hour.

A van, SUV (not a little one) or station wagon might be able to handle the job as well. Most treadmills aren't assembled for you so the box is a bit larger than the running surface and they tend to lay pretty flat so it's mostly the length of the box that winds up being an issue. If nothing else make sure you have gone to a store and tested out a treadmill with a motor and features similar to anything you want to buy online.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm 6'1" and an 18" x 45" running surface would be WAY too short for me. I'd be falling off the back of it. I don't feel comfortable on anything shorter than 60 inches.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At 6'4 you shouldn't have a problem, but keep in mind where your arms will be when you are running. Because I'm so short, my hands always hit that f**king center bar on the treadmills at my gym. It's not a good feeling when I'm really pumping my arms and suddenly one of the protrusions from the bar hits me squarely between the knuckles.

Slider on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For cardio equipment nothing beats a gym membership if there's one that's not too far away. Usually plenty of high quality equipment and if something breaks it's not your problem, and there's probably another one you can use. Just saying.

Djeet on
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Djeet wrote: »
    For cardio equipment nothing beats a gym membership if there's one that's not too far away. Usually plenty of high quality equipment and if something breaks it's not your problem, and there's probably another one you can use. Just saying.

I used to go to gyms, but not really my thing.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg