As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please Help Me Uncrappify---Comics and Art

PiranhaPlantPiranhaPlant Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Artist's Corner
Blunt, honest, feedback wanted! :winky:

With the color stuff, I'd definately appreciate some feedback on any specific Photoshop techniques. There's just something about the coloring that isnt good enough for what I want and I cant figure out what it is/how to make it better. I think some of the pictures are "decent/okay" but I want to get beyond the mediocrity and get a "wow" factor eventually...which I dont have yet. Sometimes Ill even like the pose or the original drawing, but there's just something (or alot of things) missing from my final work. Note* I dont have a Cintique (sp?)-I scan and ink, then use Photoshop for the digital art. I just love that clean, clear, look in Penny Arcade. I dont want the same style, but I really love the coloring/overall digital feel of the comics that are very pleasant and fun to look at/read.

Gavin_Werewood__s_Room_by_TRALLT.jpg

At_the_Beach_by_TRALLT.jpg
Keith_and_Wally_by_TRALLT.jpg

Ice_Cream_Girl_by_TRALLT.jpg
Stripes_and_Stars_by_TRALLT.jpg
.Geode_Corner_Couple_by_TRALLT.jpg
Domestic_Evil_by_TRALLT.jpg <---sux at coloring...help!

The Other Comic:
Though it has a strong shojo influence there's NO yaoi, Japan, maps of Japan, Japanese symbols, anything Japanese, or ambiguous cat-people (there goes 90% of any potential fanbase!) As far as the comic goes, I know a romance comic isnt everyone's "thing" around here : ) However... I could use any help/comments/blunt snarky criticism on how to get better concerning the actual art-especially the linework. I just dont like the linework enough. I really want it to look clearer and nicer. Im not sure if the problem lies in the actually inking itself or a missing digital step. Im almost done with Volume I and I really want Volume II to shine and show a vast improvement from the first venture.

5b6abf8cd19fc38158e5b2c731473e561284484952.gif
c5ca4e1dfd138d866c3f797f8c9b2bd71680882431.gif
e470461f00f7e19369eae4f8c9f407941678726585.gif

I really want to get better and feel genuinely satisfied with the final product. Thanks for any feedback!

gcbannergg.jpg
PiranhaPlant on

• Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like the second, manga style better than the first. If that's what you are going for I think you pulled it off. You should try Manga Studio (there is a demo) Most of the new Manga artists are using it and it's easy to learn.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The biggest issue I see with every single one of your pieces is anatomy. I like your compositions, there's a clear focal point going on in a lot of them, and I also like the expressions- but I don't believe your people are people since your anatomy is a bit off. That's perfectly fine, I'm not all that good yet either being an art student and everything, but with lots of practice you'll improve.

Even if you're doing stylized people, they're still people. Get photoref for your poses and study real anatomy of real people. Better yet get a buddy to pose for you or go to a figure drawing class. Draw realism first, do stylization second. For example, that anime girl on the last couple of images lacks a ribcage in almost all of the images. Her skull is also way out of whack- where are her cheek bones? What about her eye sockets? Thinking about things like this will help you.

This is a great book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy-Artists-Elements-Form/dp/0195052064

So is this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-People-Portray-Clothed-Figure/dp/1581803591/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256696447&sr=1-1

This is a great thread full of photo ref from life. Read: Pictures of naked people. Studying the human form is the best way to improve on anatomy. You can't draw a convincing person without knowing what's going on underneath. Find a pose similar to what you're drawing and use it as a reference point to place your foundational sketch.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1813

Good luck improving!

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks so much for the feedback! I think those links will be very helpful. It's hard to find tasteful nudes on the internet : /

PiranhaPlant on
    gcbannergg.jpg
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Really nice drawings. personally, besides some of the anatomy, i feel the colouring technique is letting down some of your images. The first image poseted looks nice, but some of them with the gradient fills dont compliment your nice linework. Perhaps harder colouring/toning will help bring out your lines. Just my opinion.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I pretty much agree with all thats been said above, but in that first image especially the font choice and the glaring bright blue background are just killing the mood. They don't complement the piece at all, and I think its fairly well done aside form the anatomy and gradient fills

worstcase on
  • Options
    valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Glad I could be of help. Finding tasteful nudes is difficult, you're right!

Keep on practicing. You obviously put some time into your drawings. You can totally get better at drawing with lots of practice and by doing studies. I'm a big proponent of doing studies from life, since I saw a huge improvement in my own work after taking lots of foundational drawing classes.

This is a really really good book with lots of exercises, it's almost like a basic art class in a book:
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Drawing-Right-Side-Brain/dp/0874774241

This book really helped me develop a critical eye and it helped me to understand lighting and value- basically how things work in the real world. It's definitely a great book for beginners. I did all the exercises in it and saw a big improvement- I think I should go back and do all the exercises over again honestly, since I'm sure I'd get better form doing them. I'm still a beginner too.

Here's annother helpful site for poses. It shows all the muscle groups. A lot of the stuff on there is pretty static but some people really love it, so I should probably link it to you.
    http://posemaniacs.com/

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    if it helps, i lol'd at domestic evil. Yuck right side of the brain. It didnt do it for me XD

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    if it helps, i lol'd at domestic evil. Yuck right side of the brain. It didnt do it for me XD

"Drawing on the right side of the brain" is often mentioned on these forums. I personally never got any use out of it. I got more use out of looking at old model sheets from the old animation studios. But to each his own.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What's the right side of the brain stuff all about? Which old model sheets do you use ((any specific links that help with movement/ect? Thanks!

And thanks all for the feedback so far!

PiranhaPlant on
    gcbannergg.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Traditional studies. That's what you gotta do. The manga thing is fine, really. I mean some people will say "Ew manga" like it's unholy or something but really it's just a style. What's important is that you develop a range of styles and comfort zones, because the market for manga outside of Japan is...limited.

Treat every piece of art like a learning experience. I wish I had picked up on that sooner.

I would recommend starting with the tutorials linked here., particularly the ones on form and lighting. Then do some anatomical studies and some life drawings and post them up for us to look at.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on