As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Theft proofing a pc

GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Last night we had thieves break into our warehouse, because of the alarm system the police arrived very quickly although not before a couple of thieves managed to get away with a computer monitor for the single pc located there.

Thankfully the thieves gave up trying to steal the pc, because it has about five label printers connected up to it via parallel cables. (all screwed in, it looked as though the thief gave up trying to disconnect them.. one of them was broken/forced apart)

However, since the pc got banged up a bit and because it's pretty old i've decided to buy a new pc for them. But, i'm wanting to secure it to the desk to prevent it from being stolen.

I've been looking online and I can't seem to find anything useful. Anyone know of anything where I could literally secure a pc to a desk to prevent it from being stolen?

PSN | Steam
---
I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
GrimReaper on

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At my school they just have things that are like bike locks going through the case and looped through a cable hole in the desk. Like these.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've come across this which looks interesting.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    I've come across this which looks interesting.

Odds are good that they would just pry the box off of the desk with a quick kick, though depending on how well you secure it it could work.

For a criminal, you've got to do two things to keep them from taking your stuff: Make it complicated/time consuming to take out, and make it look invaluable. Wrapping the entire machine to your desk with rolls and rolls of duct tape would do both. Your criminal would have to saw through it to take your machine, and that would take time. If you throw in some chicken wire in between the layers of duct tape, it would take even longer.

Of course, it would be ugly as sin (making it less theft worthy), but I doubt you'd lose the machine.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    These seem significantly better than the other and the security cable solution.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    if you're truly serious, get a security cage for your pc... something like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/604896-REG/Hard_Steal_SB_A_STEAL_Box_Computer_Security.html

expensive, but without cutting, the PC will not be removed

cheaper solutions are glue on cable mounts... from experience, without the use of a specific solvent, these have to be cut off as well:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/254556-REG/Bretford_TG10_10_Cable_System.html

illig on
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It sounds like you could just hook up some more label printers.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe work on preventing them from getting inside instead of anticipating a break in.
    Metal bars are good!

rfalias on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've seen cases literally bolted to the table. They were all the flat style.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    From experience, I can say that any kind of cable is pretty much useless. Most of the 'computer' specific security cables are easily cut with a pair of pliers that any smuck can buy from the local hardware store and slip under his jacket. My laptop was secured with one about a year ago, and someone managed to slip in, cut the cable, and slip out in under ten minutes while I was checking my mail.

Go for the cage, or if you really don't want to enclose and mount it, use a thicker cable or bike lock. At least then the tools the thieves would need are harder to carry around.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chalkbot wrote: »
    oh label printer, is there anything you can't do?

seconding the suggestion of focusing more on perimeter security. if they can't get in they can't steal the computer(s).

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

brilliant!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I suggest hooking up the new computer under the desk and leaving the crappy old one on top of the desk with cables plugged in the back in realistic fashion.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    the easiest way is probably to have some sort of a cage or cabinet that can be locked around the computer.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    I imagine this PC never needs to move considering it's job, so I would honestly just bolt the new one right to the table, right through the bottom of the case

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I remember seeing an article where someone replaced their case with a cardboard box with holes cut in it for vents. No one would want to steal that.

deathnote666 on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you at all concerned about the data if the computer or its components are stolen?

If so, PGP WDE or truecrypt or something would be a nice idea.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just print out a sign that says "out of order" or "fucking thing, sucks! piece of shit!"

Tape it to the tower.

TL DR on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Encrypt the drive and forget about it.

spending >$500 for an enclosure to secure a ~$400 system seems like a poor investment.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009

They had a big computer theft at my dad's job once.

The thieves went in with bolt cutters, snipped everything on the back of the computers and took off.

Echo on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Echo wrote: »

They had a big computer theft at my dad's job once.

The thieves went in with bolt cutters, snipped everything on the back of the computers and took off.

I'm telling you now: Duct Tape and Chicken Wire. That machine will be with you until the day you die.

Enc on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm all for the bolting the case to the desk method. No one's going to steal a desk to get a PC.

Someone will take the security box with them and figure out how to break it later.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just an addendum, since I forgot about my post for a day or two.

The building itself is actually decently secure, all the windows have steel sheeting over and are all welded shut. However, evidently the welding wasn't very good on the window for where the toilet is.. they forced it open and smashed the window. Because the alarm went off immediately they didn't have much time inside the warehouse before the police came. (all they stole was the monitor)

Anyway, I'm likely going to be going with the computer cage route and bolt it to the ground.

The computer itself doesn't so much contain important data so much as it's used exclusively for syncing up with various delivery firms and printing labels for said delivery firms. For example, DHL, TNT etc.

The unfortunate truth is that our warehouse is quite possibly in the highest crime area of Leeds. The boss is meant to be making up his mind soon on whether to move to a new location for when the lease ends in 2011 or so.

For example, this is the area.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PirateJon wrote: »
    Encrypt the drive and forget about it.

spending >$500 for an enclosure to secure a ~$400 system seems like a poor investment.

the problem with this is they're probably not stealing it to get your info

they're probably stealing it because they can resell it for a quick buck

whatever happens secure it to your desk

don't just get a cage that just encloses your computer, they'll just take the whole thing and smash it open later

if someone takes your PC, it'll be a smash and grab. If they can't get away quickly, they probably won't go for it

bolt it to the table/desk/wall/ground

edit: oh also if it's VISIBLY secured that'll even cut efforts to try anything in the first place

like a big chain connecting it to something. Even if the chain does nothing and isn't even connected to the PC, if it looks like it'll take more than a quick tug to do, they'll leave it be

Raneados on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »

brilliant!

Nothing protects your PC like a Zebra!

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

brilliant!

Nothing protects your PC like a Zebra!

It was quite funny, the pc was on the floor with all the cables bar one still attached. One of the parallel cables had literally been torn from its connectors. The VGA connection was also slightly bent although still working. (onboard mobo graphics)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---