Options

Help me tag my mp3's!

skyboxskybox Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've recently come to possess a large collection of electronic songs that have tags and filenames written by some six year-old, it seems, and I have no idea how to find out what the artist or song names are. I've searched around both here and via Google, and tried a couple of programs similar to Magic MP3 Tagger, but they either want me to pay for their use, or they don't do everything I'm looking for. Idealy, I'd like to find something that will refer to a database to figure out what song it is based on the music itself, not the file name, directories, or present tag information; as well as organize everything neatly in to folders. Anyone have something that may be helpful?

skybox on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shazam is a pretty decent iPod/Phone app for that. You activate it and aim your mp3 player at the speaker (so you'd need the app on your mp3 player and the song playing from your computer or stereo) and it tells you what song is playing. Not sure if there's a non-iPod/Phone version.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's exactly what I'm looking for as the song identifier. I've found a few free programs that will do a couple of the things I need, but nothing that does it all. The key here is being able to identify the electronic music and labeling it.

skybox on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, I'm not aware of a program that will actually edit the tags for you.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    magic tagger didn't work?

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    skybox wrote: »
    I've recently come to possess a large collection of electronic songs that have tags and filenames written by some six year-old, it seems, and I have no idea how to find out what the artist or song names are. I've searched around both here and via Google, and tried a couple of programs similar to Magic MP3 Tagger, but they either want me to pay for their use, or they don't do everything I'm looking for. Idealy, I'd like to find something that will refer to a database to figure out what song it is based on the music itself, not the file name, directories, or present tag information; as well as organize everything neatly in to folders. Anyone have something that may be helpful?

Try the MusicBrainz Picard tagger. I don't think it will handle organization, but on Windows my media player of choice (foobar2000) can do that so it's never been an issue.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, it worked perfectly, but I'm not willing to part with my $23 to register it.

skybox on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, it worked perfectly, but I'm not willing to part with my $23 to register it.

Honestly! 23 bucks is not a lot if it does what you need. I don't get it. Finding something else can easy take a lot of time.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You spent all your money buying those misnamed mp3s, right?

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yes he did. Also, what about Media Monkey? I used it. It required a little bit of work on my part but it went very quickly.

edit: nevermind I misread your op. you need to find out what the songs are.

Topia on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Topia wrote: »
    you need to find out what the songs are.

That's the point of the app I recommended and the one he tried but wasn't free (it uses the same method of identifying the songs). The service makes matches between the audio fingerprint of a song they keep and the one you generate with the software installed on your machine.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This is all very helpful. Thanks, guys.

skybox on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Winamp has an auto-tagger that might be worth a shot. Once you've gotten the music into your library (which should be easy to figure out), you send things to auto-tag by selecting the MP3s, right-clicking -> send to -> Auto-Tag. I don't know if it'll be able to sort out all the stuff you have, but it seems to be able to pick up tags for anything I throw at it except the most obscure things I can find, like live recordings of shows. I don't think it'll do folder sorting for you, but you should at least get accurate tags out of it for free.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Try the MusicBrainz Picard tagger. I don't think it will handle organization, but on Windows my media player of choice (foobar2000) can do that so it's never been an issue.

It does actually handle organisation. I use this, and I have an unsorted folder I dump new tracks into, then I run it, and they all get scanned, tagged, named and organised according to my preferences (album name folders) in my sorted music folder.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg