As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dinner help (Final Results here!)

JebusUDJebusUD Adventure!Candy IslandRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Right, so I picked up some 50 - 60 edit:< count edit edit: 2.6 pounds worth of tail on shrimp for about 3 dollars and am now looking to cook them into something delicious. I am thinking a pasta and sauce.

the only pasta I have is thin spaghetti, but that should do nicely.

What I have(off the top of my head) for a potential sauce:
Moscato wine
Butter
Fresh Rosemary
Various pepper and salt, both cheap or fresh ground
Dried parsley and basil
Old bay seasoning
Milk and cream
Lemon
Fresh Red Chilis
edit: also, button mushrooms

I also have various cheeses, which may factor into any sauce decision, including:
Gorgonzola, Sharp Cheddar, Muenster, Parmigiano-Reggiano, a little bit of blue cheese.

Fantastic meal suggestions go!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
but they're listening to every word I say
JebusUD on

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scampi sounds like it is in order. I've used this recipe before, it'll go well over the spaghetti. Just soak the parsley in a little warm water for about 10 minutes and drain before adding it. Sprinkle a little grated Parm-Reg (just a tiny bit) onto the whole pile once it's done.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hwo big are the shrimp? If they're 51-60 count like you sort of suggest, then scampi is going to be a pain in the ass. Shrimp that small are best for stew-type things like jambalaya. I made scampi with 31-40 count and they were a pain in the ass to flip. I wouldn't do it again with anything smaller than 21-30. It's manageable but very frustrating.

Broiling them beforehand and adding them to the sauce at the very last minute would work. You can brine them before cooking too, so they stay plump and moist.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yes they are 51-60 count shrimp. Maybe I should cut them up the back so they puff up.

The chillies are red chillies like so

fresh+red+chillies.JPG

keep the suggestions comming though.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    SosSos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shrimp Alfredo looks like it would be easy (although not the best with thin spaghetti) as would just saute the shrimp and add veggies. I hate to admit but I have little experience with cooking with wine so no recommendations there.

I may be able to pul out something complex with a little bit of digging. These ingredients are sparking a hard to reach memory.

Sos on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've managed scampi fine with 5060s. Jambalaya's not a bad idea either, though.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I was thinking maybe butter wine cream and lemon in some combination with garlic and rosemary. Or maybe the old bay seasoning. Or maybe both. And possibly the chillies to give it some kick.

edit: I also now find that I have button mushrooms that I could add as well.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How much shrimp did you get? Like, a pound? Half?

You could cook the shrimp up in a little butter with a clove or two of minced garlic, one of the chili peppers minced, then finish with a splash of wine, salt and pepper to taste. Toss it with the cooked spaghetti and serve with a side salad and some garlic bread.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »

You could cook the shrimp up in a little butter with a clove or two of minced garlic, one of the chili peppers minced, then finish with a splash of wine, salt and pepper to taste. Toss it with the cooked spaghetti and serve with a side salad and some garlic bread.

I have three pounds of shrimp, two uncooked and one precooked

edit: actually it is more like 2.6 pounds

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »

I have three pounds of shrimp, two uncooked and one precooked

Ok.

1/2 lb shrimp (shrimp freeze well so freeze the rest), 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 minced chili pepper (remove the seeds first, unless you like it really hot), 2 Tbsp butter, few Tbsp of wine.

Set the spaghetti to cooking. While it's boiling, put a sautee pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter, add the garlic, chilis, and shrimps, move constantly (flip it if you can, or use a spatula) until the shrimp are cooked through (this will go fast). Add the wine (it'll splatter, be careful) and let it simmer about a minute. The spaghetti should be done by this time, so just drain it then serve the shrimp over the spaghetti.

Garlic bread recipes are easy enough to come by and usually take about 10 minutes max.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The shrimp are already frozen.

edit: what do you think of rosemary or the old bay seasoning?

JebusUD on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What is contained in the below links is both delicious and DEATHLY hot. If you can't abide heat in your food these are not for you. If you loves it though, this shrimp recipe is awesome. I love this woman and just about everything she does. I used a George Foreman grill to make these as I don't have an outside grill, and you could also use a grill pan I'd wager.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/07/firecracker-shrimp-part-1/
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/07/firecracker-shrimp-part-2-the-good-part/

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i wouldn't use that wine for a scampi too sweet.

defrost the shrimp. season with the basil, old bay, salt pepper, touch of parsely
    i would saute the pepper and mushrooms in either butter or olive oil. when they are nearly ready throw the shrimp in and saute til pink. throw some more butter and oil and parm/reg cheese and voila, ghetto scampi. you could toss some lemon juice if you want

toss with pasta and there ya go

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The results:

I used olive oil and butter in which I cooked up a bit of garlic(2 cloves) and onion( about half a medium sized bulb). I then added a 3/4 a cup of wine and maybe... about 1/4 a cup of heavy whipping cream. I then proceeded to cook it down a bit at a boil. I then added some lemon juice, fresh squeezed. Then I added a bit of rosemary. That made the sauce.

The shrimp I sauteed in a bit of olive oil, and added some old bay seasoning.

Then I put them both on top of thin spaghetti and added some parmesan cheese and some chili infused olive oil on top. Added a lemon 1/8 as a garnish and in case someone wanted some more lemon.

I served it with glasses of moscato wine.

It turned out fantastic tasting, though it probably could have used more garlic. Also, the sauce needs to be stirred as it is poured on top, otherwise the last bowl ends up with a bunch of onion in it. I was a little worried that the rosemary might be overpowering, but it really added a fresh flavor.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm surprised the lemon didn't separate the cream. Still, sounds good. :^:

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I was worried about that too at first, but then decided that it wouldn't be an issue because there was so much wine and butter and oil compared to the cream. The cream mostly just gave it a nice color.

I must have added about half a stick of butter, I think I neglected to mention that earlier.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We buy shrimp like that alot. Peeled, precooked frozen, either 20-30 or 50-60. I usually just throw them in a ziplock sandwich bag, squeeze all the air out, put that bag in a bowl of water, and microwave for 1-2 minutes.

Wife loves scampi, quick and easy with those shrimp. Once and a while she'll do alfredo, works just as well.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »

I was worried about that too at first, but then decided that it wouldn't be an issue because there was so much wine and butter and oil compared to the cream. The cream mostly just gave it a nice color.

I must have added about half a stick of butter, I think I neglected to mention that earlier.

:^: If the French have taught us anything it's that most sauces can be held together by thorough whisking and a crapton of butter.

Passerbye on