Options

I have a Chemistry question

Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
This may be a bone headed question, but it's something that I've always wondered about.

NaF dissolved in water is poisonous, but not nearly as bad for you as HF dissolved in water (hydrofluoric acid). In both cases, it's the Fluorine anion running around doing its thing, but why does it have such a different effect when the cation is H, as opposed to Na? Shouldn't an F- in solution be an F- in solution?

"A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
Peter Principle on

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, I would imagine that the compounded effect of if being acidic (though not a very strong acid, but an strong acid non the less) and poisonous haves something to do with it. I mean, it's one thing to be poisoned, but being poisoned and dissolved at the same time must suck.

Na is just Na, we eat that stuff like candy in our nasty American diets.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As someone who's worked with both forms of fluoride ion, I'll say that they're both equally poisonous. I don't know who told you NaF isn't bad, but a solution of NaF is just as nasty as HF once it gets into the body. You're right. F- is the stuff that'll mess you up, and hardcore.

Maybe this is in reference to their states, though. HF is only distributed as a solution or a buffered mixture (a liquid), and if you get a little on your skin it's going to burn like an acid and get adsorbed pretty quick. NaF is a solid, is easier to weigh out and handle, and won't be as readily adsorbed through skin - but it's still something you DON'T want to touch!

In terms of ingestion, or even dissolution in water, HF's a pretty potent acid and NaF is fairly soluble in aqueous media. Both are going to liberate the fluoride ion quickly, the only difference being the acidity of HF vs. aqueous NaF - Which doesn't make a lick of difference in the body, considering the natural buffers / acids you'll encounter there will overpower small doses.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As someone who's worked with both forms of fluoride ion, I'll say that they're both equally poisonous. I don't know who told you NaF isn't bad, but a solution of NaF is just as nasty as HF once it gets into the body. You're right. F- is the stuff that'll mess you up, and hardcore.

Maybe this is in reference to their states, though. HF is only distributed as a solution or a buffered mixture (a liquid), and if you get a little on your skin it's going to burn like an acid and get adsorbed pretty quick. NaF is a solid, is easier to weigh out and handle, and won't be as readily adsorbed through skin - but it's still something you DON'T want to touch!

In terms of ingestion, or even dissolution in water, HF's a pretty potent acid and NaF is fairly soluble in aqueous media. Both are going to liberate the fluoride ion quickly, the only difference being the acidity of HF vs. aqueous NaF - Which doesn't make a lick of difference in the body, considering the natural buffers / acids you'll encounter there will overpower small doses.

Not to disagree, but I'm fairly sure that Sodium Fluoride used to be used to fluoridate water and is sold as tablets to prevent cavitys.

edit:
    I think it's the corrosiveness of HF which makes it a lot worse than NaF (fatal dose appears to be 5-10g according to the MSDS). So whilst the Fluorine might poison you, you'll get horrible chemical burns first.

Rook on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, it's not the fluoride ion that makes HF horrible in solution, its the OMGWTF number of hydrogen ions (AKA acid) it creates.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Now now, HF isn't that bad.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Huh - I'll admit I was wrong there: I guess I underestimated the acidity dangers of HF. No doubt that contributes to it's solubility and mobility in the body in terms of toxic profile. I'll concede that HF is more dangerous that NaF due to it's ability to adsorb and damage tissues more readily. Still, I can't explain why NaF + HCl in the stomach wouldn't make it just turn to HF for whatever fleeting period of time it would take to dissociate again.

Aside from the acidity hazards, I always thought the danger of Fluoride ions stemmed from two things. 1 - It's tendency to screw up your nerves. It's more dangerous than other acids in this regard not due to potency, but mostly because you don't even know it's hurting you because you can't feel it. 2 - It makes insoluble stuff in your blood. CaF2 and MgF2 aren't fun to have deposited in your tissues. Plus, your body is 'robbed' of these vital ions in the process.

Via wikipedia:
    Hydrofluoric acid is an extremely corrosive liquid and is a contact poison. It should be handled with extreme care, beyond that accorded to other mineral acids. Owing to its low dissociation constant, HF penetrates tissue more quickly than typical acids. Because of the ability of hydrofluoric acid to penetrate tissue, poisoning can occur readily through exposure of skin or eyes, or when inhaled or swallowed. Symptoms of exposure to hydrofluoric acid may not be immediately evident. HF interferes with nerve function, meaning that burns may not initially be painful. Accidental exposures can go unnoticed, delaying treatment and increasing the extent and seriousness of the injury.

More seriously, once absorbed into blood through the skin, it reacts with blood calcium and may cause cardiac arrest. Burns with areas larger than 25 square inches (160 cm2) have the potential to cause serious systemic toxicity from interference with blood and tissue calcium levels. In the body, hydrofluoric acid reacts with the ubiquitous biologically important ions Ca2+ and Mg2+. Formation of insoluble calcium fluoride is proposed as the etiology for both precipitous fall in serum calcium and the severe pain associated with tissue toxicity. In some cases, exposures can lead to hypocalcemia. Thus, hydrofluoric acid exposure is often treated with calcium gluconate, a source of Ca2+ that sequesters the fluoride ions. HF chemical burns can be treated with a water wash and 2.5% calcium gluconate gel or special rinsing solutions. However, because it is absorbed, medical treatment is necessary; rinsing off is not enough. In some cases, amputation may be required.

Hydrogen fluoride is generated upon combustion of many fluorine-containing compounds such as products containing Viton and polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon) parts. Hydrogen fluoride converts immediately to hydrofluoric acid upon contact with liquid water.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Owing to its low dissociation constant, HF penetrates tissue more quickly than typical acids.
    This.

HF is omgwtfbad because the HF bond is quite strong and thus it spends some time non dissociated. This allows it to dissolve through (penetrate) alot of the bodies non-polar fatty tissues etc. In comparision, NaF is purely ionic, and pretty much won't dissolve/penetrate the bodies fatty tissues.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Owing to its low dissociation constant, HF penetrates tissue more quickly than typical acids.
    This.

HF is omgwtfbad because the HF bond is quite strong and thus it spends some time non dissociated. This allows it to dissolve through (penetrate) alot of the bodies non-polar fatty tissues etc. In comparision, NaF is purely ionic, and pretty much won't dissolve/penetrate the bodies fatty tissues.

HF's bond is small enough in 3-D space that it can just permeate through your outer tissue, whereas other acids would have to saponify your fatty tissues before reaching bone and bloodstream.
    It's not necessarily the Ka value that allows HF to be so dangerous, but it certainly does help.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This.

HF's bond is small enough in 3-D space that it can just permeate through your outer tissue, whereas other acids would have to saponify your fatty tissues before reaching bone and bloodstream.
    It's not necessarily the Ka value that allows HF to be so dangerous, but it certainly does help.

Wait, what? Can acids saponify?

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nope.
    I confused base-skin reactions and acid-skin reactions.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay good. I feel slightly less dumb now.

Cervetus on