As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Filling photo frames

werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm moving to a new apartment with only a car load of stuff soon, so with that in mind I've been keeping an eye out for thing that I can use to decorate and make things a bit homier when I get there. Among other things I came up with two really fantastic steel and glass picture frames that are 113x15.5 display area and I'm looking for cool geeky ideas about what I can put in them.

Ideally I'd love to print out some random photos from teh internets (I have a huge folder full of random images that have made me laugh that I use as a screen saver), but I know that for any photo the image resolution has to be fairly huge in order to get a decent print and these are decidedly large frames than normal.

So, with that broad question out there, any suggestions for a good jumping off point or general ideas?

werehippy on

• Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Outside of public domain and creative commons images, just printing out random images off the internet is quite illegal and definitely immoral. Photographers need to eat too!

Also, most labs will not print out "professional looking" (very broad term, I know) photos without a photographer release, as they're liable for massive fines if they print copywritten images for someone who doesn't have the right to print that photo.

RedBubble is a good source for prints. Smugmug also works, though the RedBubble frontend is more buyer-friendly.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sorry, should have been clear on that (I drew the short straw and am baby sitting things during the time change at work, so I'm a bit groggy). I was either thinking of creative commons stuff or a cool geeky idea to whip up something interesting of my own, definitely not looking to swipe anyone else's work. It's just a given in my head and never occurred to me to double check and make sure I said it.

I was more looking for "what would you do with two big picture frames" with a teh internet themed spin, less of a help me steal things angle :)

werehippy on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Giant fractal images?
    What kind of look/style/feel are you going for?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well if you want to be geeky and have a lot of space you could always go for longcat.

Cervetus on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Well if you want to be geeky and have a lot of space you could always go for longcat.

Actually, that's exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. Some free things I could dig up or slap together that don't look horrible in and of themselves, but are funny as in jokes about internet/gaming/what have you culture. If there was a high enough resolution, non-copyrighted photo of longcat or other memes that's the kind of thing I'd like to get a pile of so I could rotate it through as it amused me.

werehippy on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I doubt many memes are copyrighted, especially seeing as Adult Swim sees fit to use them as they please.

Cervetus on
  • CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a related question: I have a bunch of photos I took with a decent camera when I went to Europe over the summer. What's a cheap/good place to get them printed in medium sizes, like, 12x18 or 16x24?

Cognisseur on