As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW-Warriors] Blizzard's perfect class. Envy us.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Buddies wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Anyone else PvPing as Prot?

Have the pleasure of fighting a Blood Death Knight (or any death knight for that matter)? Is it possible to beat them? Can you spell reflect some of their stuff? What is that ability that makes them absorb like 30k damage every 20 damn seconds? I can't find it in their talent tree. I just... ugh.
    Their physical damage absorption comes from blood spec's mastery. Death Striking gives them a physical damage shield for like 6 or 8 seconds.

So there is nothing I can do about it? :(

At least Arcane mages have no hope against me. lol spell reflected your Arcane Blast for 20k. lol I did it again and your dead.

Unfortunately for you the DK absorb is based on the last 5 seconds of damage that YOU did to THEM, so the more damage that you did to them in those 5 seconds, the harder it will be to do damage with that shield up absorbing all your potent abilities.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aphostile wrote: »

Have the pleasure of fighting a Blood Death Knight (or any death knight for that matter)? Is it possible to beat them? Can you spell reflect some of their stuff? What is that ability that makes them absorb like 30k damage every 20 damn seconds? I can't find it in their talent tree. I just... ugh.
    Their physical damage absorption comes from blood spec's mastery. Death Striking gives them a physical damage shield for like 6 or 8 seconds.

At least Arcane mages have no hope against me. lol spell reflected your Arcane Blast for 20k. lol I did it again and your dead.

Unfortunately for you the DK absorb is based on the last 5 seconds of damage that YOU did to THEM, so the more damage that you did to them in those 5 seconds, the harder it will be to do damage with that shield up absorbing all your potent abilities.

So I can just auto-attack till he death strikes and then lay into them to remove the shield and get some damage in?

Damn, I'd need an addon that tracks an enemy death knights runes. shiiiit.

Edit: Or it's just however much he heals during that death strike.

Buddies on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Duel spec is so cheap now, I wouldn't level Prot. I would level Arms and have Prot as your off spec for tanking instances.

Prot wasn't too slow 1-60 as long as I managed to keep a current blue 1h by tanking dungeons. However BC was like hitting a wall. I'm going way faster with Arms, which has the added advantage of being solid in open world PVP and is ridiculously survivable compared to the last time I tried warrior dps.
    evilthecat wrote:
    blood and thunder
    imp. revenge
    thunderstruck

Other, less major things to pick up quickly for leveling as prot: shield spec, bastion of defense, devastate (nice for finishing low hp mobs quickly).

Important glyphs early on include shield slam, revenge, cleave. Revenge and cleave are mostly good for instances though.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I can just auto-attack till he death strikes and then lay into them to remove the shield and get some damage in?

It's based on how much the death strike heals for, yeah, which is based on the damage done in the previous 5 seconds.

I'm confused by an EJ post that states: "Blood Shield is not affected by anything that increases healing done to you as you already noted (including VB) but that also works the other way around: Mortal Strike effects do not decrease Blood Shield potency either."

Which makes it seem as though MS does not decrease the efficiency of Death Strike/Heal/Shield.

Again, unfortunately, mastery for blood DKs helps their heal/shield potency.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So my warrior just started tanking heroics. Needless to say, with 52% avoidance 50% armor reduction and 140k hp buffed, Im usually kicked out of the group around the first boss if its not with the guild. My gears at 334 medium and for some reason, everyone kicks the tank if something goes wrong or if I need to learn the fight.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Don't do 1v1 PvP? One caster on your side will do a pretty good job taking care of a blood DK. Also, that DK is a pretty low threat target, so in any group situation, he can just be locked down/avoided while real DPS/healers are taken care of.

forty on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Aphostile wrote: »

It's based on how much the death strike heals for, yeah, which is based on the damage done in the previous 5 seconds.
    Unless you're doing 40k damage to him in 5 seconds, then he's not geting much more healing/blood shield out of DS than the minimum.

forty on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Roe wrote: »
    So my warrior just started tanking heroics. Needless to say, with 52% avoidance 50% armor reduction and 140k hp buffed, Im usually kicked out of the group around the first boss if its not with the guild. My gears at 334 medium and for some reason, everyone kicks the tank if something goes wrong or if I need to learn the fight.

That's weird. I was never kicked out around 135-137k HP. Need more information.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Don't do 1v1 PvP? One caster on your side will do a pretty good job taking care of a blood DK. Also, that DK is a pretty low threat target, so in any group situation, he can just be locked down/avoided while real DPS/healers are taken care of.

Just a question I had after dueling a Blood Death Knight. I do 2v2 Arena with a Fire Mage and we came up against a Prot Warrior and Blood DK. We decided to try and kill the DK. Found out that was a mistake, the warrior would have been easier to kill.

Buddies on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Just a question I had after dueling a Blood Death Knight. I do 2v2 Arena with a Fire Mage and we came up against a Prot Warrior and Blood DK. We decided to try and kill the DK. Found out that was a mistake, the warrior would have been easier to kill.

Makes me wonder... can you reflect a reflected spell with improved spell reflect? (that talent's still there, right?) I have visions of your mage chucking a Hot Streak'ed Pyroblast, the warrior reflecting it, and then you bounce it back like some kind of molten game of hot potato.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, you definitely don't want to start on the tank spec based around self-healing.

forty on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    Jephery wrote: »
    I'm playing around with victory rush as a tank, glyphing and specing for it. Seems like it could be kind of useful, but I'm not sure if Impending Victory is really worth 2 points. 10% shield slam crit versus a crappy victory rush proc when a boss is almost dead?

And when your healers are likely running out of mana.

I've taken two tanking specs instead of a DPS one. My second spec, I'm playing around with, and I took all of the self healing abilities I can, plus I glyphed for victory rush (50% increased healing from a VR? Fuck yeah! OP if you ask me, and I expect to see a nerf.) Healers are loving it, and it frees up tons of their heals for DPS fuckups. During some bosses, they can just ignore healing me as long as adds are up, as my victory rushes that proc when a mob dies heals me for more than 50k. Each thunderclap, cleave, and shockwave will proc it on the first boss (stone worm) in GB when adds are out, it's just ridiculous.
    How are you consistently getting VRs for mob deaths when your chances of getting the KB aren't that good?

Because mostly if you're tanking adds and a boss, all the DPS is ignoring the adds. Thus the only things hurting the adds are your bleeds and AOEs. When they die, you get the kill, which procs VR. First boss of Grim batol is a good example of this. Other than the purple trog, the DPS normally can't even SEE the other trogs I'm holing, as the boss is sitting on them, so they don't target them. The stone worm is another. While the DPS focuses on the floaty crystal things, I'll normally have a decent sized pack of the rock spiders scratching at me just waiting to die.

Yeah, I'm getting my bosses mixed up. GB boss has the troggs, stonecore has the worm.

But yeah, pretty much. The majority of DPS rarely uses any form of AoE attacks against bosses, especially when the damage from the adds is that minor. The little spiders on the worm are a fantastic source of VR procs. If the healer has mana issues, you can ignore thunderclaps and shockwaves, and use cleave instead of HS to exploit the spiders even more.

And, hell.. We're doing pretty amazing DPS anyways.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nissl wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Duel spec is so cheap now, I wouldn't level Prot. I would level Arms and have Prot as your off spec for tanking instances.

Prot wasn't too slow 1-60 as long as I managed to keep a current blue 1h by tanking dungeons. However BC was like hitting a wall. I'm going way faster with Arms, which has the added advantage of being solid in open world PVP and is ridiculously survivable compared to the last time I tried warrior dps.

Guess I should have quantified that. I just came back to Warrior after not playing him since TBC (he was still level 70 up until a few days ago), and in the 70-80 grind, Arms is definitely much better than Prot, at least in my experience. I still keep Prot as my off spec for tanking the occasional instance and group quest. Not to say Prot can't be done, it's a far sight better than it used to be for leveling, but I am pretty hooked on Arms for leveling right now.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, after not having played my level 73 warrior for about a year and a half, I was kinda surprised to log on to see that my talents had been reset. Is there a set fury levelling spec to go with? I honestly can't remember how to play this class at all....

Tav on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    So, after not having played my level 73 warrior for about a year and a half, I was kinda surprised to log on to see that my talents had been reset. Is there a set fury levelling spec to go with? I honestly can't remember how to play this class at all....

Then go Arms. It is the easiest build rotation and easiest to gear. Just spec into all the healing talents you can to help lessen downtime. Wow popular has great talent builds. The rotation is pretty easy. Charge, rend, Mortal Strike, Overpower whenvever its up, Heroic Strike when above 70 rage. When you get the 81 ability add that to the rotation before MS.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i'm going to chip in and say that fury is ok as well.

people keep on going on about the hit rating but that doesn't add up imo.
    because you're wielding 2 two handers you're off-setting the damage lost to misses versus the "none" misses of arms' 1 2hander approach.

against a same level mob, assuming the worst approach for calculating OH damage, you're doing 143% damage as opposed to arms' 125%.
    and as far as special attacks go, well fury gives you 3% hit for free, arms doesn't.

then again, arms has more utility in pvp, so depending on the server you're levelling on..
    and then again again, I've never had a fair wPvP fight. they're always waaay higher level than you are or they only engage when you have your pants down.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LG0cZcrrcszkMfdZb

That is the current 'standard' Fury spec, for leveling you might drop some points from things to take Blood Craze. To kill stuff you generally go Bloodthirst -> Raging Blow -> Bloodthirst -> Free GCD. Between BT, VR, and ER, you should basically be unkillable.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Arrath wrote: »

That is the current 'standard' Fury spec, for leveling you might drop some points from things to take Blood Craze. To kill stuff you generally go Bloodthirst -> Raging Blow -> Bloodthirst -> Free GCD. Between BT, VR, and ER, you should basically be unkillable.

I leveled fury pre cata and it was almost unfair. I decided to try arms this time around and it is almost just as unfair. I glyphed Victory rush and just rolled. The only issue I found was that there are tons of quests in the xpac where you have to kill waves of mobs that dont proc VR.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I leveled fury pre cata and it was almost unfair. I decided to try arms this time around and it is almost just as unfair. I glyphed Victory rush and just rolled. The only issue I found was that there are tons of quests in the xpac where you have to kill waves of mobs that dont proc VR.

Yeah, that is such a pain in the ass. When they start doing that I usually let myself get a bit low then pop ER.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Yeah, that is such a pain in the ass. When they start doing that I usually let myself get a bit low then pop ER.

I love that the CDs are short now. So much more fun to be able to use CDs like Shield Wall, ER and Last stand more.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I love that the CDs are short now. So much more fun to be able to use CDs like Shield Wall, ER and Last stand more.

Its great! Hard to condition myself to use them outside of "Welp, I'm fucked." moments, though.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Its great! Hard to condition myself to use them outside of "Welp, I'm fucked." moments, though.

Indeed. It has saved me many wipes so far. Where people break CC or pull pats etc... just pop IS then SW then Last Stand and Trinket and the pack dies usually :) I have that green 1k mastery trinket still on use and rotating that in will be hard to give up as it is a small secondary sheild block.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Been having a blast with Fury PvP, but I think it's time to go back and check out Arms again.

And is a weapon chain the only thing I can get disarm reduction with?

Monsty on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes, weapon chain is the PvP enchant for Warriors.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thinking about giving Fury a try for a couple levels as I get near 85 (81 now), but Arms is so good...plus I'd need another two-handed weapon. At lease thanks to stat consolidation, the gear is mostly the same between the two.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm burning out BADLY on PvE with my warrior.

Trying to tank heroic PuGs is so frustrating. No one does what I say/suggest. People break CC constantly. People don't reapply early breaking CC/mistakes. They don't assist me and DPS my target. I am fucking sick of tanking a pack and having all the monsters go down at once. They should be going down one at a time so that I don't take as much damage from each mob.

When I signed up to tank, I signed up to lead. It's what most people expect. When people follow along, it's great. I've completely SMASHED some of the harder heroics without wiping (Grim Batol for instance I think is one of the hardest). Then you go into an easier one (imo) like Throne of Tides or even Vortex Pinnacle (the easiest IMO) and it just falls apart.

Mages have a fucking glyph that removes DoTs from polymorph targets. How is every mage not sheeping SOMETHING in every fight?

Fuck!

The worst is that the guild I'm in doesn't have a lot of heroic ready people, so it's not really an option. I don't want to leave the guild because it's level 7 and I'm already honored. It's not a huge accomplishment I suppose, but it is giving me pause. I guess I'll just have to be patient and get a solid group together, but that means I cannot reliably progress in the game until that happens.

I have very little else to do on my warrior but dailies and attempt heroics.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Fuck!
    Unfortunately, no game with 12 million people playing it doesn't have a lot of people who suck at video games playing it.

Although I'm really surprised you're in a level 7 guild that doesn't have a decent amount of 330+ geared 85s. Is everyone just leveling every character they have from 80 to 85 over and over?

forty on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There are a lot of 85's. A lot. But many of them never communicate or respond in guild chat for whatever reason.

I'm not sure why people would join a guild and not even remotely participate, but it happens in mine. I can understand wanting to do your own thing and not be completely alone. Even the "white noise" of guild chat is better than nothing. Your mileage may vary on that.

I think there is quite a number of people with quite a few alts though, yes.
    I know of several people who have leveled more than one character to 85 already. They were probably 80 already or whatever, but never the less.

Having a couple characters with professions that you can interconnect with is a fairly common thing.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Endomatic wrote: »
    There are a lot of 85's. A lot. But many of them never communicate or respond in guild chat for whatever reason.
    Ahh, yeah, I run into that in my guild too when I put out a call for a daily heroic.
    I'm not sure why people would join a guild and not even remotely participate, but it happens in mine. I can understand wanting to do your own thing and not be completely alone. Even the "white noise" of guild chat is better than nothing. Your mileage may vary on that.
    As of Cataclysm, I would say "guild perks" is a likely answer to that. The amount of benefits to being in a max level guild vs. no/low level guild is pretty ridiculous.

forty on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As of Cataclysm, I would say "guild perks" is a likely answer to that. The amount of benefits to being in a max level guild vs. no/low level guild is pretty ridiculous.
    There's always been a load of people in guilds who don't seem to realise or participate, even before there were guild banks or perks. It's pretty weird stuffs, I can't not respond to some green text.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    There's always been a load of people in guilds who don't seem to realise or participate, even before there were guild banks or perks. It's pretty weird stuffs, I can't not respond to some green text.
    Oh, no doubt, and I ran into it in WotLK as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if guild perks just exacerbate the situation and further increase the ratio of people in guild:people in guild who actually do things. A silent, solo player (which I have nothing against, by the way; it's a totally legitimate way to play) had almost no reason to bother joining a guild for the past 6 years. Now? He gets all sorts of random perks and bonuses for joining a big guild (that has been around long enough to be high level), even if he does nothing different than when he wasn't in a guild. And who can blame him? He's just "playing the game" that apparently Bilzzard wants him to play.

forty on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Some PUG healers must hate my guts, because when I'm with 2-3 DPS buddies we don't CC heroics anymore. The only instance I use CC in is HoO and sometimes in VP when there are 2 Adepts in one pull. Granted we outgear the instances a bit, but we do get some healers that don't manage their mana as well as others and are OOM every other pull. That's right, I'm blaming them for healing all the damage because I Blood and Thunder everything in the room. I swap the use of Shield Wall and Last Stand + Enraged Regeneration just about every other pull though.

Sitting at 174k buffed HP isn't always awesome. Gravity Strike is a bitch, and I always have to tell a healer to not top my health off when fighting those Evolved Twilight guys in BRC. 80k damage in one hit, and they freak and start spamming inefficient heals.

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Gravity Strike is a bitch, and I always have to tell a healer to not top my health off when fighting those Evolved Twilight guys in BRC.
    What's this?

forty on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gravity Strike is a bitch, and I always have to tell a healer to not top my health off when fighting those Evolved Twilight guys in BRC.
    What's this?

The big drakonid guys in BRC use Gravity Strike, which does 60% of your current health as damage. So, when you have tons of health, it hits harder, but it will never kill you. Healers need to just keep you high enough to survive the other melee attacks instead of topping you up.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Man, Final Fantasy totally invented "gravity" being % damage!

I was not aware of that, though. Those are the guys that cast Shadow Strike too, right? I always interrupt that, but what does it do if it goes off?

forty on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Man, Final Fantasy totally invented "gravity" being % damage!

I was not aware of that, though. Those are the guys that cast Shadow Strike too, right? I always interrupt that, but what does it do if it goes off?

Disconnects the DPS players who have an interrupt and failed to use it, locking them out of the game for 10 minutes and kicking them from the instance group.

... what? I can dream, dammit!

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In reality I assume it just kills someone, which means it's the healer's fault.

forty on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Its a shadowstep + attack, it actually doesn't hit that hard considering the long cast time on a solo elite mob.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Its a shadowstep + attack, it actually doesn't hit that hard considering the long cast time on a solo elite mob.

Yea, it's not really as scary as DBM will have you believe.

It is a bitch though when doing the Achievement Arrested Development because they cast it as soon as they evolve. And with Corla hitting like a truck + Shadowstrike on a random person + Gravity strike on you, that is a ton of healing that a lot of healers cannot keep up with.

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Yea, it's not really as scary as DBM will have you believe.

It is a bitch though when doing the Achievement Arrested Development because they cast it as soon as they evolve. And with Corla hitting like a truck + Shadowstrike on a random person + Gravity strike on you, that is a ton of healing that a lot of healers cannot keep up with.

I don't specifically recall the text on the achievement, but couldn't you just let them evolve when she's almost dead, or do you need to kill all three and then kill her?

Bobble on
This discussion has been closed.