As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SIFRP PbP] House Hargreave Game on!

Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Critical Failures
Welcome to A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying!

I will use this first post to lay down the rules of the PbP as well as put up links to useful information.
First and foremost, this is my first PbP and first game of SIFRP. As such, expect a learning process. I will make mistakes. I will revise the rules. In the case of the latter, I will provide explanations for doing so. In the case of the former, feel free to call me out on them. Do it in RED please. In fact, anything that requires my attention should be in RED. This includes announcing what you are doing, questions, etc.

Feel free to ask about mechanics stuff in RED if you don’t have the rulebook. I will answer it as promptly as possible.
If I need something from you, I will make it GREEN. This includes asking for what you are doing, rolls, if I need more information, etc.

Feel free to talk OOC in this thread. To keep things neat, please do it in spoilers.

It’s possible and actually very likely due to the makeup of the group and the PbP structure that multiple plot lines will be explored simultaneously by characters in different places. In such instances, contact between those characters is limited to that which makes sense (ravens, letters, messengers, etc). Feel free to comment on stuff in OOC.

PbP adds an element of secrecy to the game which I plan on making use of. If I PM something to you, you should assume that NOONE else knows what I PM to you. You can share said information if you’d like KEEPING IN MIND the above rule (IE I don’t want people in King’s Landing psychically warning people in Dorne about an assassination attempt). This will be almost impossible to enforce, but I feel it will make the game much more interesting and fun.

There are no posting requirements. I won’t write people out for not posting, but don’t be surprised if I start harassing you with PMs until I get a solid answer if you are still playing. In addition, I am a full time student. I have a job. Luckily, this job involves sitting around on a computer which should prove helpful to running this game. However, I retain the right to not post for days at a time if I am swamped or if I need a break. However, I will try to give warning when this occurs.

Finally, for the most part I plan on remaining faithful to the backstory provided by the novels. However, I reserve the right to fudge things here and there. Feel free to call me out on errors, but if I am doing something on purpose don’t expect me to change it. Also, keep in mind that the story of House Hargreave takes place before the novels. Don’t expect Robert to be king a year from now just because he is king in A Game of Thrones. If a PC rides up to Robert and stabs him in the face, he will die. Of course the PC will probably die too.

Mechanics Stuff:

Quick Start PDF
[post=12044702]House Creation Mechanics[/post]
[post=12053560]Actual House Creation Rolls[/post]
Character Sheets
[post=12060018]Character Creation[/post]
[post=12092221]Equipment[/post]
Interactive Character Sheet

Information on the World of ASOIAF:
Citadel entry on the Stormlands
Political map of Westeros
A more accurate and interactive map of Westeros
A Huge, Detailed Map of the Whole ASOIAF World

Crono729 on
«1

Posts

  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It has been 283 years since Aegon Targaryen landed in Westeros and united the Seven Kingdoms under his rule. The Targaryen dynasty has survived the Faith Militant, the Danceof Dragons, the Blackfyre Rebellions, and most recently the War of the Ninepenny Kings. Now, this Great House faces its most dire threat; an alliance of Stark, Baratheon, Arryn, and Tully has united against the Mad King Aerys Targaryen, who commands the loyalty of Tyrell and Martell. With House Lannister ominously silent, the outcome of the rebellion will doubtlessly shake the foundations of the Westerosi power structure.

    This is not the story of Robert’s Rebellion. This is not the story of the Mad King Aerys Targaryen, nor is it the story of the Prince that was Promised; this is the story of House Hargreave. Situated in the Red Mountains of the Dornish Marches, House Hargreave calls the imposing castle of Valholt home. A project started by the late Orys Hargreave, the Valholt was built around the original Hargreave Hall and meant to be a tribute to the legacy of his house, a stronghold worthy of the great warriors and builders which Hargreave would continue to produce. Unfortunately, Orys’ work was twisted and perverted by his wife, the Lady Hargreave, who haphazardly added on to the original construction on the advice of a mystic in a desperate attempt to prolong her husband’s life.

    While the Valholt’s intended glory has been perverted, the castle nevertheless remains an imposing stronghold. With Hargreave Hall, a fortified keep in its own right, at the center of the castle, the Valholt proper is a keep which towers over the original Hall. The Valholt is built of the red stone which gives the mountains their name, and due to its placement right on the steep slope of a nearby peak it seems to be a part of the mountain. Although Lord Lucas has sealed many of the cavernous wings off, the Valholt serves as housing for most of the servants and household members of House Hargreave. Lord Lucas has taken up residence in Hargreave Hall, the place of his birth, and it remains where he holds council.

    An inner wall runs from the steep mountain peak on the eastern side of the Valholt all the way around to the western side, enclosing the Valholt and Hargreave Hall in a U-shape. Two turrets flank the main gate on the southern side of the wall, and two large, incomplete towers rise from the wall to join the Valholt on the eastern and western sides of the wall, with a postern gate at the base of each tower. Outside this central fortification lay the ancillary buildings, including the blacksmith, the stables, etc.

    One of the original purposes of the Valholt’s expansion was to expand fortifications to enclose the entrance to the Hargreave mines. This entrance lies in the northwest corner of the fortification, burrowing into the mountainside against which the Valholt is built into. Around the entire fortification is a larger U shaped wall 25 feet in height with two major gates, with the Miner’s Gate on the west side and the Valor Gate on the east. Two turrets flank each gate, and from the southern wall at the “point” of the U rises the Watcher’s Spire, second only to the unfinished upper levels of the Valholt in height. From the top of the Watcher’s Spire, a commanding view is granted of the entire fortification and community nearby.

    Around the whole fortification is the small hamlet which contains mostly miners and other smallfolk ruled by House Hargreave. The hamlet runs right up to the walls, a result of the massive expansion from the original Hargreave Hall to the shambling collection of buildings which make up the Valholt. The Rock Road, which runs from the Boneway up further into the Red Mountains, runs through the hamlet on both sides of the Valholt and around the southern wall of the Valholt. Often, those traveling the road will cut through the Valholt, which when combined with the miners entering and exiting the Miner’s Gate leads to a bustling, almost city like feel to the grounds of the Valholt.

    Immediately outside the Valor’s Gate is the Rabbits Foot Inn, popular with both the smallfolk and Hargreave men-at-arms and servants.

    In terms of geographical location, the Valholt is southwest of Blackhaven (more south than west) and northwest of Wyl (more west than north).

    ***This seems like a good point to note, if any wants to volunteer to make maps I would appreciate it heartily, and I’m sure the other players would as well***

    You’ve all received your starting information in your individual PMs. Feel free to post them OOC if you’d like, there is nothing exceptionally secretive in any of them.

    Welcome to the Game of Thrones! YOU are House Hargreave. This is your story. Will it end in glory for your House? Or will you be crushed underfoot another House’s ascension? You will decide. Remember your House’s history, and take heart. Your forebears have fought for Aegon the Conqueror beside Orys Baratheon, have been at the front of every war with the Dornish for the past 300 years, and have suffered through the madness of Lady Hargreave. In the conflicts ahead, remember your House’s words; “Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.”

    Crono729 on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    House Hargreave of Valholt
    "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained"

    hargreave.jpg

    Realm: The Stormlands
    House History:
    House Hargreave was founded by Charles Hargreave, one of Orys Baratheon's most capable lieutenants. He was granted the land as a well-liked, very adept military commander to hold out against the Dornishmen. He was given the land, and told to build it up not only into a great military outpost, but into a great region. He met with great success as a lord and planner.

    More recently, Orys Hargreave--a giant of a man, who many said reminded them of Robert Baratheon--had become lord of the House. A relatively young man known for his mirthfulness and his vivaciousness, he married a daughter of the Blackmoor house named Maya. They sired 5 children (one boy and two girls), and fell in love. However, while doing considerable work upon the family home after several years of marriage (probably 10ish), Orys fell ill with a slow, wasting sickness. When doctors could do nothing, Maya began consulting mystics, one of whom told her that Orys would die when the castle was complete (within a month's time, at that point).

    Maya, not wanting to lose her love, began expanding on the castle. She leased and sold land in order to be able to afford it, running the House practically into ruin. Even after the castle was complete, she had the builders add more and more; staircases that lead to nowhere, doors that open onto walls, hallways that lead to more hallways, more fireplaces and privy chambers than a castle could ever need... and she continued to keep building. For five years, she had them build and build uninterrupted, took care of her children, and practically ignored the lands around her as populace and banner houses jumped ship.

    Finally, several years ago (probably 5ish), after many years of estrangement (Lucas and Orys had never gotten along), Orys' brother Lucas Hargreave returned to his homelands. He had been married off to a legitimized bastard of House Martell who had died in childbirth, along with the child she was carrying. Lucas was a cold but honorable man, who began to get in great fights with Maya over the state of the lands and the continuous building of the castle, but as an honorable man, could do nothing to usurp her authority as Lady of the House. Within a year of Lucas' return home, Orys finally fell to the disease that had assaulted him for so many years. Standing at his bedside until the very end, Maya hurled herself from the balcony of their bedroom, falling to her death.

    Since then, Lucas has proven himself a capable manager, and a beneficient--if cold--father figure to his nieces and nephews. He has made no move to remarry, nor to de-legitimize Orys' eldest son as the heir to House Hargreave. While he hasn't been able to expand the lands of the Hargreave anywhere near to their original border, he has managed to bring an end to the near-anarchy that had gripped the land during Orys' sickness, bring the populace back to the area, and hang on to their last remaining banner house (House Bierford, whose lord owed his nobility to one of Orys Hargreave's recent ancestors).

    As it stands now, House Hargreave seems to be on the rise after a bitter fall. As it stands now, House Hargreave seems to be on the rise after a bitter fall. While unable to send aid due to both the relative instability of the house and the threat from the Dornishmen, Lucas Hargreave philosophically supported Robert's Rebellion, and made it well known. They are hoping some small share of the spoils will come their way, and opportunities should abound for an ambitious house, known for its military adroitness.

    House Resources:
    Defense: 41 (40 invested in Castle)
    Influence: 30 (20 invested in 1st born son, 10 in 1st born daughter)
    Lands: 22 (7 invested in hills, 5 in road, 10 in hamlet)
    Law: 32
    Population: 28
    Power: 36 (20 invested in banner house, 16 in troops)
    Wealth: 20 (10 invested in mine, 10 in artisan)

    House Troops:
    Discipline----Abilities
    2 x Trained Garrison:---3/9
    4 fighting, 3 endurance, 3 awareness
    1 x Trained Archers:----9
    4 marksmanship, 3 agility, 3 awareness

    Banner House:

    House Bierford
    "Ever Vigilant, Ever Victorious"

    History:
    House Bierford was born in the blood and fire of Daeron the Young Dragon's conquest of Dorne. With the Marcher Lords Dondarrion and Hargreave tasked with holding the Boneway, thus keeping vital supply lines open for Daeron's armies in Dorne, the Marchers held the fords west of Wyl, serving the dual purpose of keeping Lord Wyl pinned against the sea of Dorne and commanding the entire northern stretch of the Boneway.

    The most serious threat against their position was when Lord Wyl attempted a breakout. While supported by small contingent of Yronwood troops, he attempted to ford the Boneway's crossing while also assaulting the northern banks with infantry and cavalry ferried across the river to the east. The Marcher lords were taken by surprise, both by the Dornishman's willingness to engaged in a pitched battle, and because they had so effectively concealed their movements.

    While the Lord's Hargreave and Dondarrion soon found themselves in a desperate battle to hold the fords against attacks from both the east and south, House Rydd of Ryddmount descended from their lands in the Red Mountains and moved to complete the Dornish battle plans by crossing further west and arriving on the northern side of the ford from the west. The Warrior smiled upon the Marchers, however, as Ser Eustace Bierford, a landed knight in the service of House Hargreave who lead one of the hosts foraging party, happened upon the Rydds as they began crossing the river. Bierford sent his fastest rider to spread the alarm, while he sought to delay the crossing by raining arrows on the lightly armored Dornishmen. Despite having only one other knight, a dozen men at arms and his smallfolk archers, Bierford did not hesitate to charge the handful who struggled across the River, driving them right back into into it. The ferocity of the defense caused the Rydds to waste precious time finding other crossing points so they might overwhelm the small group of defenders. Ultimately, his delaying action proved crucial as reinforcements from Valholt and Blackhaven turned the tide against Wyl's forces at the fords before the Rydds could arrive.

    Following the battle, Ser Bierford, who had survived and managed to escape with his remaining party through his knowledge of the terrain, was raised to Lordship by Lord Hargreave, and given lands from his own holding as a reward. This small house would prove their value again and again, serving as a stalwart ally against Dornish incursions and raiders alike.
    House Resources:
    Defense: 31 (30 invested in small castle)
    Influence: 22
    Lands: 23 (7 invested in hills, 14 in mountain with road)
    Law: 29
    Population: 6
    Power: 29 (29 invested in troops)
    Wealth: 4 (3 spent on troops)

    Troops:
    Discipline----Abilities
    1 x Veteran Cavalry:
    0
    5 fighting, 3 agility, 3 animal handling
    1 x Veteran Garrison Archers:--3/9
    4 marksmanship, 3 fighting, 4 endurance
    1 x Veteran Infantry:
    3
    4 athletics, 4 fighting, 3 endurance

    Crono729 on
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rachel Hargreave chewed at the corner of her bottom lip as she scampered up the short stairway and through the heavy wooden door into Hargreave Hall. As she neared the top of the steps the girl stumbled in her haste and felt a sharp coppery taste trickle into her mouth, the blood from where she had bitten herself mingling with her already ruby red lips. Rachel paused despite her hurry and mentally scolded herself, not only for her carelessness as she scurried up the stairs, but for failing to break the habit of chewing on her lip. Nothing could divulge her inner thoughts and worries half so well as worrying her lip could.

    After taking a moment to dab at her wound with a pale green square of lace, Rachel Hargreave slipped the handkerchief back into her sleeve and continued on her way through Hargreave Hall and towards its kitchens. The young lady knew the cooking staff at the Valholt well, and with any hope, there would be a dinner servant or waitstaff she knew wandering around someplace.

    The Everyman on
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Trent stood outside the entrance of the Rabbit's Foot Inn, watching as a knight with a purple lightning bolt of his shield was allowed through Valor's Gate after an argument with Rupert. The sight of the fat old man arguing with the knight had been one of those 'you-had-to-be-there' moments.

    He motioned to Tancred to approach, and thumbed at the two dozen men that had served as the knight's escort. "Somethin' doesn't smell right here, Tancred."

    adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • The CrowThe Crow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ser Walther Stone

    “Begging yer pardons, young master; but M’lord requires your presence."

    Walther grunts as the woman scurries away, her message delivered. Old Trysa always seemed to be coming or going, and she rarely let anyone get a word in edgewise before she disappeared into one of the hidden corridors that only she seemed to know about. Walther waves for the men in the training yard to keep up their drills, then wanders towards Lord Lucas' solar.

    At least he assumed the summons came from Lord Lucas, though in truth Lucas Hargreave was no more a lord than Walther was a knight. Walther frowned at the thought. It was past time young Lyonel took on the duties of ruling the house. Still, the summons intrigued him. Maybe he would finally see some action in this war...

    The Crow on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rupert nods to Quick Wyl as he turns over his post on the wall. Free for the rest of the day, he says to the other guard, "I'll go see if I can find out what his problem is. Let's see if his troops are as much of an ass as he is." He catches a stern look from Wyl, and says, "Don't worry, I'll play nice."

    He grabs his spear and makes his way down from the wall, walking up to the lowered portcullis. He leans his spear against the grating. "So, any of you fine gents mind sharing what Lord High-and-Mighty has his breeches in such a twist over?"

    PolloDiablo on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Having warned the Lady of the strange knight's arrival, Jonas decided he was curious as to their intentions. Curiosity was a rather commonplace thing for Jonas, who lived life for the moment and let the winds of fate blow him where they may.

    I wonder what would bring a force like this so far out of their way?. Maybe they'd come to attack the castle- now that would be something to make life interesting...

    He wandered down towards the gates, his bow and arrows close at hand, as always.

    El Skid on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rachel Hargreave:

    You find the kitchens abuzz with activity. Servants accustomed to usually preparing private meals for Lord Lucas and his company hurry about, cleaning materials and taking stock of provisions.

    You see Lysa Flowers, the servant in charge of the kitchens of both the Valholt and Hargreave Hall. She is directing servants in their work. A homely woman who at the edge of middle and old age, she always had a smile and a pastry for you as a child.

    Rupert:

    By the time you reach the outer gates, the men who have not immediately proceeded to the Rabbit's Foot inn have split into two groups. The first, about a dozen strong, pointedly ignore you. You notice some of them wear the purple and black colors of the lightning bolt knight.

    One of the men from the other group, which numbers half a dozen, steps forward with a grin. A stout man who is only about a foot shorter than yourself, he is the best equipped of the second group.

    "The hell if we know! Ser Martyn has been riding us as if the Others themselves were chasing us. Me and my boys signed on to guide him down the Boneway and up into the mountains. No amount of silver is worth the damned sores and early mornings, hey?"

    Jonas:

    As you emerge from the Valholt you notice a pair of kitchen maids hurrying from the Hall towards the larger keep. You recognize one, Bess. The two of you have history. What that history is is up to you.

    Crono729 on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Ah, me lovely lass Beth- 'tis sure a sight fer sore eyes y'are! Perhaps ye can spare a wee moment ta tell ol' Jonas what all the fuss is about- I can see yer frightful busy, but as always I'm here ta lend ye an arm...or whatever else ye might need, don'tcha know."

    With a wink and a smile, he awaited the girl's response. He always spoke to Beth- and a few other women he fancied- in the roguish brogue; he'd picked it up while performing with the acrobats, and it seemed to work for him on young women almost as well as it had for Garath on the crowds.
    No, Jonas won't be talking like this all the time :P

    So...what would I roll to try and get Beth to stop and chat- persuasion?

    El Skid on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bryce Hargreave:

    “Begging yer pardons, master; but M’lord requires your presence.”

    If the old woman knew any more regarding Bryce's summons, she kept them to herself as she disappeared almost before he could look up from his work. Bryce quickly finished up the columns he was working through, made a note of where he left off (though he hardly needed it), and pulled on his boots for the long journey to Lucas' solar. "I swear, it's like the architects deliberately thought 'hey, let's put the Steward's quarters as far from the Lord as humanly possible." Servants scurrying by heard muttered curses directed at large stairways and twisting hallways, intermingled with mnemonics used to remember the path from one place to another, as the Steward quickly (for him, anyway) made his way to Lord Lucas.

    In truth, Valholt had grown on Bryce, in spite of its maddening design; it was the first place he'd ever really felt he belonged. That didn't stop him from keeping up appearances, though; and Lucas' summons worried him. Usually, Lucas did him the courtesy of coming to his room; whatever the reason for this, Bryce doubted it would be good.

    Thanatos on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've decided to put character specific stuff in spoilers for neatness/in case others don't want to read it. Feel free to if you'd like, however.

    Jonas:

    You don't need to test persuasion to have a quick word with Bess. This may change depending on how the conversation goes. In general if you are unsure say what you'd like to do and I'll tell you if it requires a test.
    "You. I've no times for game, Jonas."

    Despite her words, Bess stops with a nervous glance towards the Valholt's gate. Biting her lip, she looks back at you.

    "What do you want? I'm on important business, and if Flowers thinks I've dawdled she'll have me washing with the scullions."
    To those heading to Lord Lucas' solar, I haven't forgotten about you. I'd like to hear from everyone headed there before I start dealing with that situation.

    Crono729 on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Ah me darlin'- Aren't ye kind ta take a few moments from yer busy day ta speak wit' an old scoundrel such as meself. I was just thinkin' that I spy quite a bit o' hustle an' bustle this mornin', and I thought that ye might've heard what all the commotion is about, don't ya know. One look at yer beauty is enough to cause even the tightest tongue ta flap about, and I was hopin' ye might've come across a secret or two along the way."

    He looked at the girl fondly and smiled, remembering their occasional dalliances over the past couple of years. She really was a bit of a beauty, though a bit tempramental on occasion.

    El Skid on
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rachel Hargreave

    A smile grew unbidden to the young lady's lips at the memories of Lysa Flowers. Tugging at and smoothing down the daggered sleeves of her green and silver samite dress, Rachel approached the cookwife directly.

    "Lysa?" she spoke between ivory white teeth. "I would like to have lunch alone in my room today. Something light, if it's not too much trouble. A salad with oil and vinegar would be nice, maybe a leg of roasted fowl with oat bread and butter. I'll take my lunch in an hours time, if you would please bring it up then yourself?"

    The Everyman on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jonas:
    "Of course, I sit with Lord Lucas in council when I bring his midday meal," Bess remarks drolly. Still, she considers for a moment and seems to be on the verge of adding more.

    I'll take a persuasion test.

    Rachel Hargreave:
    As she turns to regard you, you notice for first time the crow's feet which have recently appeared. She prefaces her response with a sharp intake of breath,

    "M'lady Rachel! I do so love when you grace us with your presence. You know I'd enjoy nothing more than waiting on you personally, it's just.... well, M'lord has ordered a feast for the morrow. I told him our stores are meager on account of the war, and a proper feast requires preparation, but M'lord.... you know how he is. He told me our best will have to do, and the feast must be on the morrow. You see M'lady, I'm much needed here..."

    She trails off, glancing about the kitchen and fidgeting with her hands, revealing her anxiety.

    Crono729 on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    El Skid on
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rachel Hargreave

    Rachel pursed her lips in displeasure, but quickly erased the look lest Lysa think she the cause of it. In truth, it was news of the feast that upset her so, not so much for its existence (despite however impractical) but rather to just hearing word of it now. The young lady could only imagine for what reason her uncle had requested such extravagance at such short notice.

    "Lysa, dear, it wouldn't take more than nine or ten minutes to bring up something simple, would it? Surely you can leave the kitchen in the hands of another for that long. I certainly know it would mean a great deal to me if you would. Please?"

    Persuasion Roll
    4D Persuasion, 2B Convince (6d6.takeHighest(4)=20)

    The Everyman on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jonas:
    "Alls I know is the message I'm bringin' to the kitchens in the Valholt; M'lord has ordered a feast for tomorrow, which means I shouldn't be wasting any more time,"

    And with that, she hurries into the Valholt significantly faster than before.

    Rachel Hargreave:
    Lysa submits with a pronounced sigh.

    "If it's so important to you dear, I'll bring your meal up. But for now, I really must get preparations underway."

    She smiles tenderly, and brushes her hand against your cheek in a motherly gesture before resuming her duties.

    Crono729 on
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rachel Hargreave

    "Thank you, dear," Rachel offers by way of parting, in a voice that tries to sound older than her years. With a smile, the young lady turns perhaps a bit too pleasantly on the ball of her foot, and leaves the kitchens behind her.

    Rachel figured she had about an hour's time before she needed to be back at her room to receive Lysa. She could have cared less what food was brought, so long as she caught a word with Lysa alone, but Rachel thought it best to put on appearances.

    With time to kill, the young lady first made the trek up to her quarters within Hargreave Hall. A chest sat at the foot of her bed, full of knick knacks and books and trinkets and old clothes that fit strange as she grew older and well played with toys that Rachel was rather embarrassed to still possess albeit reluctant to part with. She sank to her knees before the chest and struggled for a moment to lift its heavy oak lid. Shifting aside a thick tome of old fables and romance stories and a ragged sewn knight her father had given her before he grew ill, Rachel lifted a long, skinny leather tube from the mess of things and closed the chest behind it.

    The girl swiftly undid a latch, removed the cap, and from within drew an equally long, skinny brass tube. It was expertly crafted, and a perfect glass lens was secured at each end. Rachel took the far-eyes in her hands and abandoned its leather casing on her floor. She quickly left her room, and took of through the castle with her skirts swishing rhythmically across the stone floor.

    After a few moments time, Rachel stood breathless atop the Watcher's Spire. She had spent a great deal of time up here as a child, despite her father's chiding. While the others would play below, or out beyond the gates, Rachel had sat atop here and gazed downward. Everything was so tiny, Rachel though. Reaching her hand out and closing one eye, she held the Rabbit's Foot Inn between her fingers and giggled.

    With her far-eyes in had, Rachel could see even more. She drew out the thing to full length, and balanced it carefully in front of her face. She gazed out to see the Inn, then searched over by the Valor Gate and Miner's Gate. She gazed out into the surrounding hamlet, and out to the Rock Road, and then through the castle grounds. It was thrilling to Rachel, not only to be up so high, looking down unnoticed on everyone, but also to be able to see everything up so close.

    The Everyman on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Thanks, Darlin'!" he said, slapping her bottom playfully as she turned to leave.

    With a fond look at her retreating form, he headed down to where the action was likely to be.

    El Skid on
  • The CrowThe Crow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How many people are we waiting on for that update? :P

    The Crow on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rupert finished talking with the escort, grabbed his spear, and walked through the gatehouse, heading towards the Rabbit's Foot to grab a drink and some food.

    PolloDiablo on
  • NionNion Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lyonel Hargreave

    “Begging yer pardons, young master; but M’lord requires your presence.”

    Lyonel started walking towards Lucas' solar. While he didn't like having his training interrupted, he was curious as to what could have happened.

    Nion on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lyonel, Bryce, Ser Walther
    The three of you all arrive at the entrance to Lord Lucas' solar simultaneously.

    The guard standing watch, a young and relatively new recruit who goes by the name Mouse, blinks rapidly at your arrival.

    "Ah, ehm, My lords!" He squeaks, belying the source of his name while giving a jerky salute. "M'lord Lucas is expecting you.... ah... the two of you that is.... I mean, Lord Lyonel and Master Bryce.... begging your pardons Ser, but I wasn't told to be expecting you...."

    His face screws up almost comically, and the youth stammers off.

    Jonas:
    Can you be a bit more specific about where you are off to? The Valholt is an awfully big place... or if you are just wandering about until somethings happens to you, that is fine.

    Rachel Hargreave:
    You observe the comforting and familiar sights of an average day in the Hargreave domain. In the northwest, miners pull carts laden with ore to the storehouse, then trudge wearily back into the depths. Guardsman train in the yard, but you notice your brother is not amongst them, despite it being the time he usually practices. Servants hurry back and forth between the Valholt and Hargreave Hall, their tasks complicated by the sheer size of the Valholt and the two separate keeps. Immediately in front of the Valholt you see Jonas slap the behind of some serving girl or another.

    Outside the Valor Gate the crowd surrounding the Rabbit's Foot in seems larger and more rowdy than usual. A large number of horses are being led to the small stables of the inn, obviously too many to fit. A group of men whose arms you don't recognize are among those milling outside the Rabbit's Foot, seemingly talking amongst themselves.

    Crono729 on
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Trent shakes his head as he watched the soldiers, trying to figure out why the soldiers were there. Perhaps he could get some info...
    Suggestions, guys?

    adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Crono729 wrote: »
    Jonas:
    Can you be a bit more specific about where you are off to? The Valholt is an awfully big place... or if you are just wandering about until somethings happens to you, that is fine.
    Heading down to the gates, and thence to the inn if I see nothing interesting at the gates. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding how the castle works, which is possible :P

    El Skid on
  • The CrowThe Crow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ser Walther Stone

    "Seven only know how you've managed to avoid skewering yourself on that spear of yours, Mouse. Jumpy little bugger." Walther claps the boy on the shoulder, grinning despite the harsh words. Mouse could be a bit skittish, but he was a promising recruit all the same. "Not sure why he'd send his messenger woman on down if he didn't want to see me. Either way, I think I'll stick around. Lord Lyonel could use some plain-spoken advice for a change. Ain't that right, m'lord?"

    The Crow on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bryce Hargreave

    "I'm sure it's fine, Mouse. Now, open the door and let us in; it's getting rather drafty out here, and I'd rather not keep m'lord waiting."

    Thanatos on
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rachel Hargreave

    Rachel keeps her attention on the Rabbit's Foot, peering at the crowd of men milling about, wondering if she recognizes any of the faces in the crowd. The strange set of arms perplexes her, and the young lady racks her brain to see if she can recall them.

    Status Roll to recognize heraldry.
    3d6=12

    If she fails to recognize the name, Rachel at very least tries to remember the colors and symbol of the heraldry. After a few minutes more of inspecting the inn, the young Lady Hargreave begins her decent from the tower. She makes a beeline towards her room, packs up the far-eyes, and waits for Lysa Flowers' arrival with lunch, aimlessly plucking at the strings of a harp while she waits.

    The Everyman on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lyonel, Lucas, and Ser Walther:
    Mouse stands aside, muttering reassurances to himself, allowing you entrance to Lord Lucas' solar.

    As you enter, you see Lord Lucas' sitting at his desk, with a knight. Still armored except for his helm, which lies unceremoniously at his feet, the knight turns to regard your entrance. A middle aged man with an unremarkable face save for his cherry red cheeks and watery eyes, you do not recognize the knight.

    Lord Lucas, a man well into middle age whose once raven-black hair is now almost entirely gray at the temples and in his closely cropped beard, fixes you with his piercing gaze as he stands from his desk. You are struck by his height; although he is taller than most, he has the tendency to lean forward when sitting, belying his true size.

    "Ah, there you are. Allow me to present to you Ser Martyn Dondarrion, Lord Cedric's own brother. Ser Martyn, this is my nephew and one day Lord of the Valholt, Lyonel Hargreave. My cousin and steward, Bryce Hargreave... and the captain of our guard, Ser Walther Stone," Lucas' gaze lingers on Ser Walther, but with a frown he turns back to Ser Martyn.

    "Lord Cedric has had a raven at Blackhaven and has dispatched Ser Martyn to spread the important message - "

    "Important! The most important damned news you'll ever hear!" The knight interrupts, "Gods be good, we've won! Robert's crushed Rhaegar at the Trident, and King's Landings been sacked! We've had it from Grand Maester Pycelle, the Lannisters took the field against the Targaryens, and Tywin's own whelp slew the king in his Kingsguard armor!"

    Crono729 on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Targeryens... slain?" Bryce is taken aback by the news. "This is fortunate, indeed. Though, there will no doubt be consequences; the King himself was betrayed by his own Hand, and his own kingsguard. Ser Martyn, is there news of who will succeed the throne? And what of the Martells and Tyrrells, loyal to the bitter end?" You could tell from the look on his face that the gears in Bryce's head were already spinning. Tywin, you clever bastard; didn't think you'd have it in you, he thought, to himself.

    Thanatos on
  • The CrowThe Crow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Walther grins. It was good news, though he wished he could have taken a more active part in the war. Though perhaps it was not too late...

    "Best we take the fight to the Tyrells and the Dornish before they can surrender, then," Walther says. "The new king will reward them who fight for him, and he'll forget about them who didn't. Nothing Ventured..." he leaves the rest of the house's motto unsaid. In the guard captain's opinion, House Hargreave had taken far too cautious of a stance in the war thus far.

    The Crow on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lucas' Solar:
    Ser Martyn grins broadly, obviously reveling in the attention his role gives him.

    "No word on who they'll grown... obviously not the Targaryen runt, his whole family's been slaughtered. They say he's fled to Dragonstone. There was no word of the Tyrells and Martells in the message, the Grandmaester intended it to reach as many lords as quickly as possible, including Martell and Tyrell men."

    The knight then stands, drawing himself up to his full height.

    "However, my purpose is not only as a messenger. I come seeking allies in arms. Lord Cedric intends to call his banners and bar the Boneway from the remnants of Lewyn Martell's host. We've had another raven besides Maester Pycelle's from one of our.... men... in the Riverlands. He claims after Robert shattered Rhaegar's army at the trident, those that managed to withdraw sought to retreat to King's Landing. Obviously, following its sack, they were left were no where to go. Some have yielded, however, much of the men Prince Lewyn brought north have evaded capture and make their way south under Lord Yronwood."

    The knight stops to take a deep drought from a flask at his hip.

    "I hope Lord Cedric's choice to send his own brother to treat with you impresses just how serious he is. Dondarrion and Hargreave have won great battles before, here is a chance to win further glory."

    His speech ended, Lord Lucas gives the slightest nod, indicating this is information he has already been given.

    Crono729 on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "This is a gesture of great respect, indeed, Ser Martyn, and we seem to be repaying it with some atrocious manners. Lord Hargreave, shall I have a servant show Ser Martyn to our finest guest quarters and serve him and his men a meal? I'm sure they must be hungry and tired after travelling so quickly." Bryce was obviously anxious to discuss things with Lucas without Ser Martyn present.

    Thanatos on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rachel Hargreave:
    You recognize the men's arms as those of House Dondarrion, fellow Marcher lords who rule at Blackhaven.

    After some quiet time spent in your room, You hear a soft knock on the door.

    Rabbits Foot Inn:
    Rupert:
    As you enter the Rabbit's Foot in, you are met with the familiar smoky smell of the stone hearth. The common room is much more crowded than usual, as both the mysterious visitors and those drawn out by their promise of excitement have crammed into the inn. The usual tavern games are taking place, although they are much larger and louder than usual, which makes you uneasy.

    The innkeeper Pylar and his girls can be seen elbowing through the crowd, struggling to be bring ale and food to the numerous voices shouting orders over the din.
    Jonas and Trent:
    By now the excitement at the gate has begun to die down. Only a handful of the mysterious strangers remain at the gate, laughing loudly and attempting to catch the attention of every woman or girl who walks by; most have dispersed throughout the hamlet, either searching for refreshment at the inn or seeking other sources of interest. You see the huge, one armed guard Rupert make his way into the in, pushing through the crowd as if they weren't there.

    Lord Lucas' Solar
    Ser Martyn snorts loudly.

    "To hell with my men! Most of them aren't even mine. Rock-crawlers I hired to make sure I don't break my neck in the passes. I intend to head further into the mountains to spread the words to every house. Every sword is needed," With that remark he leans back in his seat, and takes a deep drought from a flask at his hip.

    "And I'm quite full from what the servants brought up earlier. Hell! I even had some of Lord Lucas'! Hah! No my lords, we must plan! The sooner our forces are marshaled, the sooner Cedric can march and the better our preparations will be."

    "Indeed," Lord Lucas remarks, turning away from the knight with the hints of a scowl on his face. "I would hear your thoughts on the matter, Bryce."

    Crono729 on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jonas' scarred face lights up in a smile as he sees Rupert plowing through the crowd. Turning back to the matter at hand, Jonas returned to facing the stranger at the table.

    "Sorry, friend- saw a someone I know in the crowd there. So as I was saying, I'd be happy to buy you some ale if you'd be willing to pass on any news from abroad. We're a bit off the beaten path, and even when the castle gets news, so little of it trickles down to us mere soldiers- you know how it is."
    Hoping for bonuses for the free ale :P
    3d6= [strike]11[/strike] 8

    El Skid on
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rachel Hargreave

    Upon hearing the knock, Rachel rises to her feet and scurries to open the door.

    The Everyman on
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jonas
    "Thank ye, friend," The man mumbles before taking a deep draft of Pylar's finest.After a satisfied belch, he settles his drink on the table and shrugs his shoulders.

    "Ain't much I know I could tell. Ser Martyn signed us up to guide him down the Boneway and walk him up into the mountains. Used to be we were merchant guards, but there ain't nobody traveling with the war on. Damn basterd works us twice as hard as the merchants did for half the pay. Riggs is figurin' we drop the contract, might be stay at this here inn for a while. But hey, you look like a fellow in the know; there any jobs hereabout? Maybe in the Lord's guard? Can never use too many lads whats with good with a blade in times like these," he says with a wink.

    Rachel
    As you are open the door, you are met with the weary smile of Lysa Flowers. Looking more exhausted by the minute, her eyes nevertheless shine when she sees you.

    "Your meal, m'lady," she says with a nod, indicating the serving tray in her hands.

    Crono729 on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jonas

    Jonas smiles at the man happily.

    "I'm surprised you haven't been recruited into some army or other. With all the fighting and dying going on, there must be sore need for any man that can swing a sword and see the dawn break." he looks around conspiratorially and says in a half-whisper "I have myself a nice little job here training archers and looking after the Lord's family, but then I'm quite a bit overqualified."

    Jonas taps his nose. "You have to be on the lookout for job opportunities right enough, and leap at the chance if you find a good one. I could probably put a word in up at the castle if you're interested in joining up- You seem like you've been around quite a bit."

    El Skid on
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Trent

    Trent walked back into the Rabbit's Foot Inn and took a seat next to Jonas.

    "Did someone say free ale? I didn't know you were so kind."

    adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bryce, results of awareness test:
    You've known Lucas long enough to pick up on certain cues; his body language, tone of voice, all those little things which most people write off as inconsequentials provide you with an insight into your friend's thought process.

    You can tell that at the moment Lucas is annoyed by the presence of Ser Martyn, although you can't be sure whether he dislikes the man or the news he brings. You are sure, however, that Lucas' mind must be racing, trying to figure out how to maximize House Hargreave's gain.

    Crono729 on
Sign In or Register to comment.