As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS Slot 1 Homebrew

poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Hi

I'm looking for a DS Homebrew cart that:

(A) Doesn't need me to flash my DS or something because that sort of thing makes me nervous.

(B) Is easy to use because I'm just not into the nuts and bolts of tech - I just like using it.

I'm not interested in roms (not just because of PA rules, but because I'm not).

I want to watch TV shows and read Ebooks and comics on the train.

I was going to buy the DS-Extreme, because that was the only one that existed. But there are so many coming out at the moment that I'm not sure which is best.

Thanks

I figure I could take a bear.
poshniallo on

• Options
    K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm not sure of the rules, but I would like to know of one that is good for ROMS. Thanks :D

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Very against the rules.

EDIT: I should sleep

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    K7 Avenger wrote:
    I'm not sure of the rules, but I would like to know of one that is good for ROMS. Thanks :D
    If you don't know the rules, read them. They're right at the top.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm not setting myself up as a mod, but that IS against the rules. You should probably go read the 'RULES' sticky.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    K7 Avenger wrote:

Maybe you should make yourself aware of the rules BEFORE you post then, eh?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wait a little while to see which ones get proper support from Chishm's DLDI FAT driver. Right now they're all a bit wonky on that front.

The DS-X is probably the only one that will work with DSOrganize as it currently is, unless someone recompiles it with the DLDI driver (the source is available, so that might happen).

Edit: Actually, I'm wrong. The Supercard DS appears to be supported by the driver.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Anyone know anything about the "M3 Simply DS"? Been on the verge of buying one of these things for a while, but have been waiting for a "slot 1" version that gets decent reviews.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I ordered a Max Media Dock and a 1 gig CF card. I am right in that the dock works by itself without a flashme card or whatever, right? I just wanted it for the MP3/video uses and organization apps.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    I ordered a Max Media Dock and a 1 gig CF card. I am right in that the dock works by itself without a flashme card or whatever, right? I just wanted it for the MP3/video uses and organization apps.

I'm pretty sure that comes with the Max Media Launcher that's just as passcard that goes in the DS slot.

I'm going to order a M3 Simply DS soon I think. I'm growing tired of the huge M3 card I have now.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    K7 Avenger wrote:
    I'll give you a week to find one somewhere else on the internet.

Everyone else, please don't give me a reason to lock this thread. If you're not sure about the rules here, read them before you post.

Captain K on
  • Options
    TheBosZTheBosZ Wut? Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    We just had a thread about this:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=25262069

But, that seems to be more focused on software, rather than hardware. I've been interested in having a movie/music player on the go and some homebrew would be nice. The Slot 1 solutions look really nice (especially since I bought a 1 GB microSD card for a failed experiment for my phone).

The GBA Temp website I linked to in that thread has some reviews, but I haven't read them yet.

TheBosZ on
    3DS Friend Code - 4468-1117-6397
    Let me know if you add me, and I'll add you back. (I'm also on the Roster)
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    to run pretty much anything you want (NOT ROMS) I highly recommend the DS-X, I got one over the holidays and it is super super nifty.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I guess a book or comic takes up very little space, but how much of that 512k does an episode of TV take Hardtarget?

poshniallo on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The DS-X is too expensive. The M3 Simply and Supercard DS are under $50 (plus the cost of a microSD card).

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    but how much do micro SD cards cost? I'm afraid I know nothing about buying memory - never needed to before

poshniallo on
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ill come right out and say it... I bought a DSX for gf... and it is a complete piece of shit... the saves erase themselves like every other day... and tech support is like... we are aware of that and it will be fixed later in a patch....

KKprofit on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm all for legit homebrew on DS. When I get enough disposable money, it's on my list.

However, the non-legit methods that result in playing metroid online a waste of time unless it's someone you can trust not to cheat.... those people need their DS's confiscated. Fucking cheating bastards.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    plufim wrote:
    I'm all for legit homebrew on DS. When I get enough disposable money, it's on my list.

However, the non-legit methods that result in playing metroid online a waste of time unless it's someone you can trust not to cheat.... those people need their DS's confiscated. Fucking cheating bastards.

So.. the substance of your comment is that people without legit copies of metroid usually cheat?

KKprofit on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    KKprofit wrote:
    plufim wrote:

So.. the substance of your comment is that people without legit copies of metroid usually cheat?

Indeed. They hack it so they have infitite ammo and health. You can sit there shooting them for ages with the most powerful weapon, and they'll just calmly line-up a heat shot. Some people seem to think a win without skill is important :/

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    plufim wrote:
    KKprofit wrote:
    plufim wrote:

Indeed. They hack it so they have infitite ammo and health. You can sit there shooting them for ages with the most powerful weapon, and they'll just calmly line-up a heat shot. Some people seem to think a win without skill is important :/

All you really need for that is an action replay...

KKprofit on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    KKprofit wrote:
    plufim wrote:
    KKprofit wrote:
    plufim wrote:

All you really need for that is an action replay...

Huh.

Silly me.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm more interested in what's currently the best thought of DS Lite sized slot 1+2 solution, as that's the only thing that'll guarantee compatability with all the old slot 2 homebrew.

What's the one to go for, guys?

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm more interested in what's currently the best thought of DS Lite sized slot 1+2 solution, as that's the only thing that'll guarantee compatability with all the old slot 2 homebrew.

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for a slot 1 passkey and slot 2 micro SD adapter/RAM expansion that fits flush with the DS Lite, like the dust cover, and has the best homebrew compatibility of all similar devices. The ability to do GBA homebrew on its own without the passkey would be an added bonus. Are there any devices that meet this description? If so, I'd snap one up in an instant, even if the cost slipped above $100.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    KizKiz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for a slot 1 passkey and slot 2 micro SD adapter/RAM expansion that fits flush with the DS Lite, like the dust cover, and has the best homebrew compatibility of all similar devices. The ability to do GBA homebrew on its own without the passkey would be an added bonus. Are there any devices that meet this description? If so, I'd snap one up in an instant, even if the cost slipped above $100.

The M3 Lite takes micro SD cards, sits flush with the DS Lite in slot 2, has awesome homebrew support, and a Passcard 3 will take care of your slot 1 needs.

Kiz on
    PSN: Kiz-ziK | Gamertag: KizziK | Steam: Kizzik
  • Options
    edited January 2007

And as far as compatibility goes, the Supercard Lite is a bit better than the M3 Lite, from what I can tell. It's also quite a bit cheaper.

[spoiler:633bb92f71]Supercard shill!![/spoiler:633bb92f71]

A Lite card won't guarantee you compatibility with old stuff that uses older versions of the FAT driver though.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    poshniallo wrote:
    I guess a book or comic takes up very little space, but how much of that 512k does an episode of TV take Hardtarget?

uh that i haven't tried.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    spinekillsspinekills Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    the only difference between a supercard and m3 is price and the saving method for gba and ds games and the supercard has less compatability for gba games but still supports many. ds organize does work with a supercard just gotta do some tricks. try maxconsole.net. for your comic book needs comicbook ds works on both and is pretty neat.

spinekills on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So which of these (and please avoid talking about ROM support, as per the rules) works without flashing my DS?

Like I said, I don't want the homebrew for games. Just ebooks, ecomics and movie files.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    poshniallo wrote:
    So which of these (and please avoid talking about ROM support, as per the rules) works without flashing my DS?

Like I said, I don't want the homebrew for games. Just ebooks, ecomics and movie files.
    None of them require flashing your DS. Flashing it only removes the need to put in the slot-1 passcard when using a slot-2 device.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There is an awesome site that reviews most cards that come out soon after they do, I'm not sure if I can post a link here to it, though. They also review roms, and that's a no-no.

But, based on the forum discussions there, I spent about $80 on a Supercard DS, a 1Gb Micro SD card, and a card reader, and am awaiting the package in the mail. Most stores are out of the slot 1 DS cards, because they just came out at the end of '06.

Everyone was all jazzed about the DS-X when it first came out, but the fizz has settled, and everyone hates it now. I'm not touching that thing.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:

The dock comes with a ds card. The movie player is perfect, but be sure to get the updated boot.nds file from the official website; it lets you play more file extensions. Good stuff.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Where is a good online store where I might go about procuring a Passkey 3 and M3/Supercard Lite? I'm sure this has been asked before but any shoping experiences would be appreciated. I've found a few places but I've no idea who is reputable.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    MrNarseMrNarse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wish I hadn't flashed my Lite, as now my touchscreen is out of calibration and the DS doesn't save any recalibration attempts. Restoring the firmware didn't help one bit either.

MrNarse on
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've been looking at this M3 Simply DS and R4. My question is, would getting a slot 1 homebrew device mean not being able to use and of the GBA style homebrew? What all would I be missing out on? I mean, I'd like to try a little bit of everything in terms of homebrew games, but what might I be missing if I could only run DS homebrew?

I mean, the slot 1 options are cheaper and meet my final criteria of not being a bulky piece of junk sticking out of the DS. (I didn't want to invest in the Lite models as I currently don't own a DS Lite and at this rate, I'm not sure I'll ever afford it.)

Also, I had half planned to invest in some micro-sd cards with standard SD adapters in case I should buy a Wii some day. Being able to mess with homebrew apps, play MP3's and just generally screw around would be nice. I wouldn't mind looking into homebrew development as well, but I'm utterly novice at programming, so that's really not all that important.

Lastly, where should I look for software? What are the "killer apps" for homebrew? Any suggestions?

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have an R4.

It's homebrew support, is unfortunately, ass.

DsDoom, which it apparently should totally support, plain old doesnt work.
    Haven't got anything to really work how it should yet, especially not Nethackds, the reason I got the damn thing!

I should have checked before I bought it. :(

Also, my old gba homebrew cart won't work in slot 2, even with r4 acting as a pass-key. the damn thing is just too old i guess (I got it when gba was released... in japan)

malerik on
  • Options
    zipidideezipididee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I just got moonshell and DSorganize onto my DS, and am very impressed. My DS is now superior to my old Ipaq as a PDA. Are there any other "must have" apps i should look into? I've got music playing and haven't looked into movies yet.

zipididee on
    *ching ching* Just my two cents
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm considering going for the R4 as it's only about $45 shipped w/ a 1 gig card. I really only plan on trying out a few homebrew games and especially using it to watch a few TV shows at work in the evenings. Will 1 gig be enough storage for that? How small does a 30 min show end up being compressed for the moonshell player?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Herby wrote: »
    I'm considering going for the R4 as it's only about $45 shipped w/ a 1 gig card. I really only plan on trying out a few homebrew games and especially using it to watch a few TV shows at work in the evenings. Will 1 gig be enough storage for that? How small does a 30 min show end up being compressed for the moonshell player?
    A 30 minute show usually ends up being somewhere between 40 and 80 MB, depending on your compression settings and what the source video is (animation or live action). 1 GB should be alright.

One thing that's important now for homebrew is DLDI. It's necessary for just about any new homebrew to run properly. Most of the time when people complain about a lack of support for their card, it's because they don't know about DLDI.

When FAT devices (that is, homebrew devices that use separate memory cards) first started becoming popular, life sucked. The first few FAT-based programs only supported the GBAMP, and if you wanted to use a program that was compiled specifically for the GBAMP on anything else, you were screwed. Though support for new devices was added to the FATlib, programs would only work with devices that were supported at the time they were made. Eventually, Chishm (the creator of the original GBAMP FAT library and several others) came up with a solution to this, and that is DLDI. It allows programs already compiled with FAT support to be patched with support for any device that has a driver available. This means that from now on, though you have to patch each homebrew program you download, old programs that are no longer maintained will still work on newer devices.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have an M3 DS Simply (which is exactly the same as the R4) and DS Doom totally works on it, if it's not you need to get the newer version of DS Doom and patch it with DLDI. DS Linux and DS Organize work great on the M3.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png