As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic Online - EDH is basically the worst format. There, I said it.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I'm still wary of 8-4's...

Do you find it easier to draft skillfully in them?

Like Jeff said, 4-3's are probably the best way to go as it's really easy to win the first round at least.

I'm not really sure why that is, but it's true. It's been a long long time since I scrubbed out in a 4-3.

But 8-4's will probably teach you the most about drafting.

metaghost on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Last night I cracked a pack1 that had Oran rief survivalist, baloth woodcrasher, scute mob, some meh white/red, and a hideous end.

I picked up the hideous end, hoping the players to my left(right?) would all fight over the phenomenal green, and that I would be rewarded pack2 with some black. I was not disappointed. Never found a nighthawk, but I did pull:

3 grul draz vamps
    2 hexmages
    1 gatekeeper
    3x hideous end
    1x disfigure
    burst lit(never made it in the deck)
    1x bala ged thief
    1x hagra diabolist
    1x blade of the blood chief

and some filler creatures like a croc and the swamp walkers. Let me tell you what a sick combo it is to swing with a 1/1 grul draz with a blade of bloodchief on it, and a hex mage. Put the first strike dmg on the stack, sac it for counters on the grul, and disfigure the remains. It was very satisfying to finally draft Mono-black. Went 3-0.

Game one I used bala-ged thief on my opponents final card in hand. It was Iona o.o CLOSE CALL!

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I still need one game for the league this week. SN is TheKruseMissile if some people maybe wanna add me to their friends list and keep an eye out for me.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Astro's deck made me want to cry.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Anyone else still need to get their games in? I'll hang around tonight.

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Evan Erwin's latest The Magic Show has glimpses of the "UI redesign" from a preview he got at PT Austin. It's pretty cool, although not as cool as the news that MTGO could eventually be played from a browser. That's pretty mind-blowing, actually.

It's a good thing that change won't actually roll out until 2015 or my work productivity and general employability would be in serious jeopardy.

Here's the text of the preview for anyone stuck at work. Just text doesn't do this justice, though.
    A New Magic Online

So while I was at Pro Tour: Austin I was invited to a special presentation on how the upcoming Magic Online UI redesign is coming. But I think it's actually a misnomer to categorize what I saw as simply a "UI Redesign." That would imply that Magic Online was simply getting "fixed" in as much as they would still have the same fat Windows client but a few things that are better, like a nicer play area or something.

No, this is not that kind of redesign. This is much, much more.

This is a complete overhaul, and I mean 180 degrees away from anything I ever imagined. Quite simply, Magic Online is getting badass.

They're getting rid of the Windows fat client altogether and are going to run Magic Online in a browser window! Now... think of that for a minute. Think of the long, strange path that Magic Online has taken, from the original game Shandalaar to the Duels of the Planeswalkers. Think of the time and effort that had to go into downloading and installing every electronic Magic game. Now think of simply loading a URL and playing Magic instantly. No weekly updates, just a webpage. No 'download this installer and then lets download all of the game content,' just a webpage. Think of any browser, on any platform - Mac, Linux, whatever - platforms that have never even had a chance to run Magic Online before without virtual machines or emulation or whatever.

Needless to say, this is huge and will open up Magic Online like never before.

Now the demo I was shown was mocked up through Silverlight, Microsoft's Flash competitor. The key reason for this, I was told, was partially because there is right click functionality in Silverlight where there isn't a right click ability in Flash. This is said to change for the near future for Flash, and honestly I don't really care one way or the other as to which technology is used. The point is, wow does it look fantastic. Let's start the demo, shall we?

The first thing spoken of were the User Research findings. These will come to no surprise to long-time users of Magic Online. Version 3.0's "User Interface" is barely one at all, important social features, you know, like a decent chat interface, are very much lacking in the client without being inundated with either windows or tabs. The cards themselves can get heavily pixelated and are tough to read and find, while the documentation is... lacking, to put it lightly.

Now do note that this redesign you'll see today is merely one part of a complete overhaul of what you and I think of Magic Online. Let's get started.

First Wizards of the Coast did some Eyetracking Hotspot research. This is where they have cameras on your eyes while you play the game and learn your behavioral patterns via 'hot spots' where you give significant visual attention and 'cold spots' where you look infrequently or not at all. From this research they unveiled a new play scene. Check it out, all seen from within a browser window.

Notice how the graphics are razor sharp. The text is beautifully rendered, in fact, all aspects of the card apart from the art and textured backgrounds are vector rendered. What does this mean? It means that you can scale the graphics to as large or as small as you want and it looks just the same. This means readability from tiny text and large text alike. Even the mana symbols are now vector art, so they too scale perfectly. Look at how sharp it shows up here on the Lightwielder Paladin.

Ready to see some sexiness? Check out what happens during combat: Oh yeah, that's the red zone, boys. Beautiful and vivid, ready for action.

Check out how Serra goes into the red zone swiftly and smoothly, not tapping of course due to Vigilance. In another scene, we actually see some Canyon Minotaur's turn sideways against an army of Grizzly Bears.

Check out the arrow-less blocking! The smooth shift of cards as you assign blockers and it gives you space to see who is blocking whom.

When you want to assign the order of blockers, simply put those in front on top of the stack, and proceed. No need for numbering, with ugly up/down arrow controls, you see the order in front of you!

You may also have noticed the lack of mana symbols that forever live next to your avatar and graveyard. Those are no longer there, instead replaced by pop-up mana symbols, along with their amount, whenever you add said mana to your pool. That is just simply efficient and awesome.

But we're not done yet. Let's take a quick look down here on the bottom right at one of my favorite features: The notepad. Oh my God. So simple, yet SO necessary. It's sad that you currently have to use a different text editor outside the game in order to take notes about the game you're playing. Yeesh. Think of having a persistent list of possible removal spells your opponent could have, or cards you've seen in the match already. So sick.

Do note that right now they're working out how best to deal with the chat interface. This problem has been solved before by IM programs, and integration with those in a browser is obviously easy to do. We'll see what they have in store for that little issue, and I'm pretty sure it'll be an improvement when compared to the tab-tastic interface we currently 'enjoy.'

Moving on, let's take a look at some cards actually being played. Here we have Serra Angel, attacking, while your opponent is at five life. You play the game-winning Glorious Charge. But what's that? Here comes Seismic Strike while that's on the stack. Luckily you have another Glorious Charge to save Serra.

Check out the stack layering. You can make it transparent to see what's going on in the battlefield or you can shrink it. Take a look at the targeting of Seismic Strike and how it's communicated. You see a set of triangles around Serra, you see the card on the stack highlighted the same time and the same color as Serra when moused over.

After the stack has resolved, check out the damage indicator on Serra Angel. A hell of a lot slicker than an ugly red number somewhere in its art, no?

Take a look at how the stack is represented when triggered abilities go wild. Specifically separating an ability from a spell in terms of game representation. This gives you a clear and easy understanding of what ability is happening and when, easily read text of said ability, and reduces confusion.

Moving forward, something you may not have noticed. While looking at creatures on the battlefield, you notice the lands? Do they seem... different? Lands in this UI revamp are actually smaller than their other permanent counterparts. This is rarely noticed but provides significant more space for other permanents and is not missed most of the time.

Again, I would like to reiterate this as much as it was reiterated to me: Everything I've shown you in the demo could change. They could not use Silverlight, they could represent the stack and/or red zone differently, chat could be in different places, etc.

With that said, the possibilities of this are just mind boggling. Oh Magic Online, The Places You'll Go! Imagine integrating Facebook with Magic Online, sending a status update that you're playing in the Tournament Practice Room and provide a URL for your friends to immediately begin spectating. Going from zero to draft in seconds, no longer deterred by set content and card images that need to be downloaded all to your machine.

Up next, they said, will be the revamping of the Collection screen and the Deck Editor, a place of pity and scorn for many a user. And considering how incredible the play scene is looking, I am stoked that they'll have something really fantastic, quick, and sleek to show us in regards to those areas of the client.

But soon, it won't even be a "client," it'll simply be Magic Online. A URL. Loaded in seconds, playing in moments, moving forward in sheer gameplay, not 3D avatars and custom granite-marble themes.

I for one am stoked, and while I will continue to play Magic Online no matter what it's form, things sure look incredibly good from here.

Up next are a few Pro Tour: Austin Extras. If you can make it, I'll be live this weekend in Nashville, battling at the $5K and rocking the PTQ the next day. Do say hello, and I hope everyone can make the PTQ as well, as I can personally vouch for the Next Level Games store as being very much awesome. My buddy Donnie Noland has a great place to game, and a huge space across from the store in which he holds his events.

So until next time Magic players, this is Evan Erwin. Tapping the cards... so you don't have to.

Evan "misterorange" Erwin

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hey guys, so I've almost got the league spreadsheet up and running.

It can be found here: Magical Spreadsheet of Visual Imprisonment

Um, it's kinda hefty because I couldn't think of an efficient way to cover the pertinent information. So each player has their own little grid area that shows their weekly official opponents, the match results, and a total points earned that week. On the left side, where your names are, you'll notice I've changed the Opponents column to a Handicap column. This will be relevant in upcoming weeks, as players that do poorly will receive a Negative Handicap, meaning that defeating them will result in fewer points, while the strong players will receive a Positive Handicap resulting in the earning more points for defeating them.

Make sense?

Hopefully such a system won't terribly skew things. And if enough people would rather I not try to incorporate such a thing, I will happily discard the idea. But I wanted to find a way to incentivize improving your deck and playing different, perhaps more powerful, opponents.

Also, I know shit is ugly.

But so's your mom.

metaghost on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    metaghost wrote: »
    Hey guys, so I've almost got the league spreadsheet up and running.

It can be found here: Magical Spreadsheet of Visual Imprisonment

Oooh, I like it. You can't sort by points easily, but there are few enough players that its easy to scroll. (Also, the right half of the spreadsheet takes a second to 'catch up' to the left when you scroll wheel down. Made me kind of dizzy going through. Not entirely unpleasant. :) ) Nice!

EDIT: Nevermind. I kan reed now.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, just a reminder, anyone who doesn't get me week one results by Sunday is gettin' the booooooooot.

It really shouldn't be that hard. You know, you just have to play anyone! PM me the results.

And I think everyone is in the clan know, but if you're still clanless, I'll be on hella late tonight (~Midnight EST).

metaghost on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone else still need to get their games in? I'll hang around tonight.

I'll try to be catching folks after dinner tonight so I can get games done before the weekend.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I need 1 more match unless I count the one I played with someone who had played 3. I'll get it in tomorrow likely.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    I need 1 more match unless I count the one I played with someone who had played 3. I'll get it in tomorrow likely.

Unsane, technically you're supposed to just count the first three matches you play in a week, regardless of how many matches your opponents have played.

The handicap system I devised is supposed to help adjust point totals for people who repeatedly play the same individuals.

metaghost on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I played Unsane for what could be considered his third game, but at the time we both went into it specifically calling it a practice game since he was testing new deck ideas. Of course, since he won, he may want to count it anyway =P.

Also, are points awarded for game victories or match victories only?

P.S.: your spreadsheet is purdy.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yea go ahead and count my 2-1 victory over the likely impossible to track down combo of invisibility and ninjitsu combined with alien space technology.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Yea go ahead and count my 2-1 victory over the likely impossible to track down combo of invisibility and ninjitsu combined with alien space technology.

Ha! That name comes from when we were bored we'd try and type in 3 word combinations into Google that would yield zero results. For a time, "invisible space ninja" had zero Google hits, which makes sense, if you think about it.

I'll be on tonight for some drafts and general messing around-ness.

Dropping Loads on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    idk you'd think some anime out there hosts an invisible space ninja.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think, unless in desperate need for a match result for the week, we can call practice games practice games. It's all for fun anyway.

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So since I've had no luck getting league games in this week, for the rest of the night outside of showering and until I go to bed, I'm going to just make rooms in Anything Goes and wait for people to take the bait til I get my games in. Please don't make me feel like Fry's dog.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Won an 8 person queue tonight, so fun. I played boros, there was 6 jund and a RG valakut deck. Beat the jund deck without too much trouble, second round opponent didn't show up and forfeited. Third round I won the first game easily, second game he played a grazing gladeheart and ramped to victory with lifegain. Third game I almost lost but topdecked an earthquake that I had sideboarded and killed him with it.

Anyways, Yay. Maybe I'll try and draft and be horrible at it.

Nisi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok slackers, last day to get your damn matches in.

Also, I'm in a terrible drafting rut. I'm so sad.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm feeling you on the drafting rut, Meta. I haven't been able to put together a cohesive deck (i.e. on color creatures and removal) in like 3 consecutive tries, and then I get rolled first match by Sorin or Jar Jar Sphinx. I did an M2010 draft and had a bit more luck with it, just taking every Tendrils of Corruption I saw.

Nisi, I've played my Boros against Valakult 3 times now in tourney practice, and every time they've died before they had even 4 mountains in play. What is the deck actually supposed to do, and what are their outs for sideboarding? I put in Mark of Asylum and Earthquake from my sideboard (which is a great combo against other Boros), but none of those cards came up, and I still won.

Dropping Loads on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm feeling you on the drafting rut, Meta. I haven't been able to put together a cohesive deck (i.e. on color creatures and removal) in like 3 consecutive tries, and then I get rolled first match by Sorin or Jar Jar Sphinx. I did an M2010 draft and had a bit more luck with it, just taking every Tendrils of Corruption I saw.

Nisi, I've played my Boros against Valakult 3 times now in tourney practice, and every time they've died before they had even 4 mountains in play. What is the deck actually supposed to do, and what are their outs for sideboarding? I put in Mark of Asylum and Earthquake from my sideboard (which is a great combo against other Boros), but none of those cards came up, and I still won.

if your talking about the not so great RG version of valakut, it pretty much just tries to ramp up to 5 mountains as quick as possible, and thats about it, they generally don't even have that much to ramp into, so it just sort of flounders and dies.

And than theres the RW version, which not as many people play but they should. It doesn't have any ramp except armillary speheres, and just controls the board via burn,white exile removal, doj, and 2 planeswalkers, chandra nalaar and ajani vengeant. It works much much better

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah I've beaten RG Valakut every time I've played it with Boros. This version with Grazing was annoying but I still beat him. RG Valakut just seems like a bad deck to me, slow ramp to nowhere.

Also I played draft and was eliminated first round, it was a terrible disaster. I think I'm going to stick to the constructed queues for now.

Nisi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

See, I've been drafting nice coherent decks, even in color-schemes that are overdrafted (like B/R or Mono-black), but I've just been undone by shuffler shenanigans and poor hand choice.

For instance, keeping a hand of Skyfisher, Lynx, Hedron Crab, Journey to Nowhere, Island, Windrider Eel, Into the Roil.

And then not seeing a land for 7 draw steps.

With 18 lands in the deck.

But yeah, Jar Jar Sphinx is a dominator.

EDIT - The present shit list is as follows:

Gogokodo
    Shamus
    cshadow42
    Last Son
    Tommat
    Acxen
    Winky
    djfindus

Apparently Infidel withdrew and decided to just keep that fact between him and THE SIGN UP SHEET.

LockedonTarget, you still need to submit one more match.

metaghost on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh crap, really? I played in 3, too. I don't have access to MTGO right now, either...eep. I played two people back on tuesday...oh man...does anyone remember playing against me(my online name is TheKruseMissile)? I lost, I know that. I thought the person I had played against had reported it.

Could you double-check the tuesday night PMs just to make sure?

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh crap, really? I played in 3, too. I don't have access to MTGO right now, either...eep. I played two people back on tuesday...oh man...does anyone remember playing against me(my online name is TheKruseMissile)? I lost, I know that. I thought the person I had played against had reported it.

Could you double-check the tuesday night PMs just to make sure?

I'll just pick a random person for you to have lost against.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Meta, I beat Locked/Kruse 2-1 earlier this week. I know I told you, because you have it marked on my part of the spreadsheet, but not his.

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Foomy wrote: »

if your talking about the not so great RG version of valakut, it pretty much just tries to ramp up to 5 mountains as quick as possible, and thats about it, they generally don't even have that much to ramp into, so it just sort of flounders and dies.

And than theres the RW version, which not as many people play but they should. It doesn't have any ramp except armillary speheres, and just controls the board via burn,white exile removal, doj, and 2 planeswalkers, chandra nalaar and ajani vengeant. It works much much better

That does sound like a fun deck, but w/ Boros I haven't had much problems against planeswalkers either. I highly recommend Mark of Asylum =).

Dropping Loads on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Meta, I beat Locked/Kruse 2-1 earlier this week. I know I told you, because you have it marked on my part of the spreadsheet, but not his.

Ok, cool.

I think the issue is that Locked didn't declare it an official match for HIM, like he did his other matches. So, you know....

metaghost on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Damnit, I need to check this thread more often but there were too many games that came out recently.

Anyone around to play some games tonight? In-game name is Last Son of Khas, though I'm not in the PA guild.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Last Son wrote: »
    Damnit, I need to check this thread more often but there were too many games that came out recently.

Anyone around to play some games tonight? In-game name is Last Son of Khas, though I'm not in the PA guild.

Yo dawg, I'll be on in like half an hour to hook you up with a guild invite and maybe battle you. Glad you checked in.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok, well...um, only Last Son actually did anything about playing some games.

I've deleted dj_findus and AJAlk/Winky from the league, findus because he/she is new and Winky because he seemed really tentative about playing.

The other folks (Gogo, Tommat, AcXen, Artful, and Shamus) get a pass for now because they're regulars and I'm assuming some baaaaaad shit came up they lives.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I actually saw Artful on several times trying to get games in, but every time I was mid-draft =( .

Dropping Loads on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    so here's a protip from a pro that drafted all weekend.

if your deck cant win by turn 6, go home.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Keep on droppin' dat autistic wisdom.

metaghost on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    metaghost, losin the magics, trollin the threads.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hahaha elves won the SCG tourney.

Elves

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    it didn't just win, it got 3 of the top 8 spots, which probably means it's legit...

also, the 2nd place 5c cascade deck just scooped to it in the finals without playing, and that deck also had an exact copy in the top 8. metagame is starting to shape up

JeffH on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How is that not winning? Did they split or what?

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been playing the paper version of this game for 4 years now, and I just noticed that my 9th Edition Starter Set has a coupon for a free MTGO account.

Is there any reason for me to set up an online account if I play paper? Perhaps new Online accounts come with enough product that it's worth installing and messing around with? The coupon also boasts "Track your collection both online and off", does that mean it has some inventory tool?

I've been curious about MTGO for a while now.. I think I just need a push in the right direction.

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
This discussion has been closed.