As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Mcgee Alice: We are all mad here. Lolita flaming tentacle rape for all!

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
American_McGee_Alice_box.gif

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.
The Cat: Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Alice: How do you know I'm mad?
The Cat: You must be. Or you wouldn't have come here.
Alice: And how do you know that you're mad?
The Cat: To begin with, a dog's not mad. You grant that?
Alice: I suppose so,
The Cat: Well, then, you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad.

Alice was a third person shoot released in the year 2000 that was, by far, one of the best example of its kind. This game just oozes character, taking a popular fictional title and give it that five dosage of LSD.

The story to the game is simple. Alice is mental, wonderland is bonkers, and Alice must go through wonderland, save it, and save herself.

So, why am I bringing up this old ass title?

Well...it looks like we're going back to wonderland.

Well, it turns out that this is an unofficial fanmade trailer, but it's cool cool as shit.

So, is there anyone else a fan of the original American Mcgee Alice? Anyone anticipating the new game? Or does anyone like Alice in Wonderland in general? Well, this is the thread to discuss it all.

*new*

New tentacle rape trailer!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUmLstbaK-g&feature=channel

Casually Hardcore on

• Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eeeeehhhh can't say I'm digging that stop motion stuff.
    I'm a huge fan of the first Alice game though. However if American McGee is consistant, his next game is going to fucking suck.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whoa, if they went with stop-motion clay animation, coupled with that soundtrack, instant buy!

Akilae on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I cant wait for this. The first game is one of my favourites (and the first game I LP'd). The stop motion would be amazing, but I would imagine it would be more traditional graphics.

Also I hate to be picky but it's American McGee's Alice.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eh, maybe something is wrong with me but that stop motion trailer looked awful.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Good God.. I watched the trailer just for old time's sake and thought, toward the end, man, this game really needs a sequel.

I can't explain the feeling I felt when I scrolled down a little more and saw the other trailer.

I still have the first one installed on my computer. I never take it off!

Edit: 2011? fuck me..

Fuzz on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That claymation trailer is an UNOFFICIAL trailer, meaning it will look nothing like that. It's fan-made and has no relevance to the Alice sequel coming out.

It is, however, cool as fuck.

(http://twitter.com/Americanmcgee)

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is Alice up on any of the Digital Distribution services? I've been looking off and on for awhile now for a copy of it, and would really like a convenient fix. :P

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When is a croquet mallet a billy club?

I'll tell you. Whenever you want it to be.

edit:

I've got the Catepillar and Jabberwock statue/figure things. Scored 'em for like $15 a piece at Midtown Comics in NYC a few years back. Saw the Jabberwock going for $75 and Alice going for $115 a couple days ago.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Didn't there used to be rumblings of a remake to this game? I guess I just imagined that when I heard about the sequel.

This has always been something I wanted, but never got. I need to correct that.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So whatever happened to the planned movie starring Sarah Michelle Gellar?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember thinking the trailer for this game was the bee's knees. The Mad Hatter turning on a saw blade and that panning camera reveals Alice intends to stab him with a butcher's knife. Horrifying.

EDIT: Also, play this Flash game. Alice is Dead.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/511552

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am very much looking forward to this game.

But ...2011? Jesus.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    That claymation trailer is an UNOFFICIAL trailer, meaning it will look nothing like that. It's fan-made and has no relevance to the Alice sequel coming out.

It is, however, cool as fuck.

(http://twitter.com/Americanmcgee)

Umm, is there more information on this outside of a twitter page? Cause if that's the case, then that's a bigger disappointment then the 2011 release year.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.americanmcgee.com/wordpress/2009/11/04/return-of-alice-video-madness
    Yesterday, a few sites picked up a video of Alice made by one of our fans and confused it as an official trailer of Alice 2. I wanted to clear up any confusion – as I mentioned in my post it was unofficial, and does not represent any of the final art direction or story elements in Alice 2. We look forward to sharing information on the game in the future.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I remember thinking the trailer for this game was the bee's knees. The Mad Hatter turning on a saw blade and that panning camera reveals Alice intends to stab him with a butcher's knife. Horrifying.

EDIT: Also, play this Flash game. Alice is Dead.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/511552

That was cool
    But I would prefer I was just following Alice's footsteps, instead of being the white rabbit

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuzz wrote: »
    http://www.americanmcgee.com/wordpress/2009/11/04/return-of-alice-video-madness
    Yesterday, a few sites picked up a video of Alice made by one of our fans and confused it as an official trailer of Alice 2. I wanted to clear up any confusion – as I mentioned in my post it was unofficial, and does not represent any of the final art direction or story elements in Alice 2. We look forward to sharing information on the game in the future.

Shame, but...omg that concept art is delicious.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For an unofficial video, that is amazing. I love the end reveal.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So yeah, there's a teaser for this game and it kinda sucks:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/player/701881

but the screenshots are pretty, but the art direction seems a bit off.

http://www.ea.com/alice

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just beat the original. This better not let me down.

Uh, ick.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The screenshots look a bit too survival-horror in my opinion. Like they're going for all out grotesquery (is that a word?) instead of the broken down nightmare Wonderland in the first one.

Or it may just be me. Who knows?
    How bout another cup of tea while we wait?

see317 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    see317 wrote: »

The screenshots look a bit too survival-horror in my opinion. Like they're going for all out grotesquery (is that a word?) instead of the broken down nightmare Wonderland in the first one.

Or it may just be me. Who knows?
    How bout another cup of tea while we wait?

Well, seeing how they list it as 'Action Horror' and how those cardmens have the crazy 'OMG I'm scary' look, I have to agree.

But, maybe they'll be able to capture the atmosphere of the first one and give it a more insane twist? Who knows, all I know is that this is going to be a long wait.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Didn't there used to be rumblings of a remake to this game? I guess I just imagined that when I heard about the sequel.

This has always been something I wanted, but never got. I need to correct that.
    I heard this too. Along with a movie starring Sarah Michelle Geller.

Edit: I just watched that teaser trailer. I was planning on going to bed soon.

....maybe I'll just stay up a little longer. :shock:

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Here's the screens if you don't want to go to the link:
    2814sc2.jpg

2exx6ch.jpg

5ldouv.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have no problems with this as a full-on horror game. Just remains to be seen if it's a good one.
    Be nice if the original was an unlockable or something. I have a copy, but it's a bit scarce for some now.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Teaser is bad, but I quite like the screens. Cautious optimism.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    TidwayTidway Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The teaser was interesting, but the screens really got me. The original American McGee's Alice ranks as one of my favorite games of all time. Sure the gameplay itself wasn't revolutionary, and the controls and mechanics were spotty at times, but my God, the presentation and art direction of the game just left my jaw agape the entire time I was playing it.

I'm glad to see some new information about this game beyond their China office hiring more people and two pieces of concept art, even if those concept art pieces were fantastic.

I don't mind if it's more of a horror game, I mean, the world in the original was twisted enough that it could be construed as a horror game in the first place, especially if you were rather young when you played it. The soundtrack combined with the environments at points was seriously some Silent Hill-level creepy stuff.

A bit early to say it, but since this game was announced I decided it would be a day one purchase for me. e.e

Tidway on
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As of now, we still have a worrying shortage of crazy-as-fuck level design. Psychonauts comes to mind, but other than that, the craziness is spotty at best.

We need more games which throw real-world conventions out of the window...

Wingo on
  • Options
    xen0nxen0n Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Here's the screens if you don't want to go to the link:
    ...snip...

Oh, yes - very yes! Love the style of it, pretty much exactly what I was hoping for when the follow-up was announced.

xen0n on
    xen0n1979.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I thought both the teaser and the screenshots looked perfect. Pretty much what I was hoping for. The detail in the screens is very nice.

Seeing how the old one ran on a Quake engine, I'm curious to see how the new one will 'feel'.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the teaser is pretty bad. Just way too Cradle of Filth music video for my tastes. I'm not sure what to think about turning it into a full-on horror game; the atmosphere in the original worked so well, because it was mostly implied or psychological - with the really horrific stuff not appearing until later on. But the screenshots are fairly impressive, so we'll see.

In either case, get Chris Vrenna back or no sale :whistle:

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played this game a lot way back when. It was one of the few games I bought on my limited college budget.

Sometimes I miss how unpolished PC games used to be. Where half the challenge was figuring out how to bug the boss so you could beat it.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's something wrong with those screens...?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hooray, American McGee gets to slap his name on another game box.

I'm kind of surprised it took EA this long to announce this, since they own the IP and Tim Burton's version was a hit.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I never played the original Alice, but I'm really, really intrigued by the concept of that game and this one. I wonder if they'll put out a port or re-release of the original before this game comes out. I'm sure there would be interest.

Ceno on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    I never played the original Alice, but I'm really, really intrigued by the concept of that game and this one. I wonder if they'll put out a port or re-release of the original before this game comes out. I'm sure there would be interest.

A digital re-release of the original would be fantastic! I loved that game and would happily buy it again.

The sequel also looks really cool.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really wish they'd port the original to XBLA so I can play it.

I guess I could dig up the Mac port but I dunno if it's worth the hassle.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I really wish they'd port the original to XBLA so I can play it.

I guess I could dig up the Mac port but I dunno if it's worth the hassle.

It is.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't worry. The game is bound to get a re-release soon so as to hype the sequel.

I replayed it last year, and it holds up pretty well. The movement physics and hit detection are awkward as hell, but the level designs remain fantastic, and there are a ton of great moments, as well as some overall astounding atmospheric design.
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm told they aren't actually doing that this time. Which is good, considering there was no legitimate reason to do so in the first place other than "WHAT A WACKY, MEMORABLE NAME!"

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm told they aren't actually doing that this time. Which is good, considering there was no legitimate reason to do so in the first place other than "WHAT A WACKY, MEMORABLE NAME!"

Or American's ego. IGN had it listed as American McGee's Alice 2, but that could be a mistake.

Ah well, personal pet peeve of mine. I think that there's less than a handful of people famous enough/awesome enough to warrant their name on the box, and most of them aren't egotistical enough to do it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So excited for this sequel!

Daemonion on