As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Could someone get sued for this?

NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hypothetically speaking, let's say you were the victim of felony level crime. The adult defendant, caught on video tape, has access to expensive lawyers, and so gets off with a mere slap on the wrist, an expunged record, and simply has to pay restitution before heading off to college. Basically, they suffer no consequence for their action.

Would the victim be exposed to legal repercussions for anonymously sending the school a copy of the police report?

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
steam_sig-400.png
NailbunnyPD on

• Options
    KidDynamiteKidDynamite Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    IANAL, but this sounds like a bad idea all the way around.

I'm guessing something happened, and someone feels like there wasn't enough punishment.

So they are going to try and punish the perpetrator by informing the school of the thing?

It doesn't sound like a good idea.

KidDynamite on
  • Options
    nuclearalchemistnuclearalchemist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is a very bad idea. Also, it wouldn't take very long for them to figure out who sent it, since said victim would have a grudge against the defendant.

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Its certainly a bad idea. I am just curious what the legal repercussions would be?

What about creating a website with the police report on display?

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So what does the victim want the college to do, exactly? Punish a student for a crime that was committed before (s)he matriculated, and that has already been resolved, legally speaking?

It's been a while since I applied to college, but I don't even think that criminal background questions are part of a college application. Why would the college even care?

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The victim should do their best to move on and try to recover from the damage without doing potentially things that are potentially illegal or open them up to a lawsuit.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Almost every college requires students to detail any arrests or convictions they have on record, and act accordingly if anything like that shows up.

If the... uh... someone... didn't list them, and then the... other someone... did expose that the person submitted a fraudulent application, the first someone could be dismissed from the university for that.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well it was expunged so it's not part of the record. How would you even get a copy to send? If it's an unsealed police record then it's part of the public record and the truth is an absolute defense against slander/libel.

But you can get sued for anything. The question is, will they win, and is it worth it to potentially make your life hell while you're stuck in the legal system.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Almost every college requires students to detail any arrests or convictions they have on record, and act accordingly if anything like that shows up.

If the... uh... someone... didn't list them, and then the... other someone... did expose that the person submitted a fraudulent application, the first someone could be dismissed from the university for that.

Ideally, but the crime would have occurred long after application and admission, but before entry. In the end, though, the crime will be expunged, so they will likely not have to disclose it on future applications.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I agree with the above that legally it’s not a sound decision and could levae you open to a lawsuit, but honestly, dose the "victim" really think sending an anonymous copy of the police report will really have that much of an effect. Chances are that the low level administrative staff who actually open the mail will shred it or file it away in obscurity.
    Ideally, but the crime would have occurred long after application and admission, but before entry. In the end, though, the crime will be expunged, so they will likely not have to disclose it on future applications.

I'm sure the school has a reporting policy in place, requing all students to report to the school if they were arrested or convicted of a crime while taking courses, applying, etc., etc. Of course, this all depends on what the OP considers a felony-level crime.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i'm pretty sure that college applications always ask if you've been convicted of a felony. even if having the felony itself wouldn't mean he'd have his acceptance revoked, lying about it would. if it's some giant state school it may not ask this.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is all, of course, hypothetical.

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get over it. You win nothing back by revenge and in the end you're just living through the whole thing again.

It sucks, it is unfair, you're hurt... all perfectly normal reactions to injustice. Revenge takes neither of those away.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I agree with the above that legally it’s not a sound decision and could levae you open to a lawsuit, but honestly, dose the "victim" really think sending an anonymous copy of the police report will really have that much of an effect. Chances are that the low level administrative staff who actually open the mail will shred it or file it away in obscurity.

I'm sure the school has a reporting policy in place, requing all students to report to the school if they were arrested or convicted of a crime while taking courses, applying, etc., etc. Of course, this all depends on what the OP considers a felony-level crime.

The Fire Marshall and courts considered attempted arson a felony level crime.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    To answer your question, yes a person could be sued for that. Then it's up to the courts whether damages would be due or not. Just because what someone is saying is true doesn't protect them from being sued and having to pay damages, although in some cases it can.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Ok, knock off this vague whiny B***S*** and tell us exactly who this person is (a neighbor, a family member, etc.) what exactly this person did, what he was actually convicted of (if anything) and why you seem to have a bone to pick with this guy even after our criminal justice system, in all its infinite wisdom, has already punished this individual. Anymore passive-aggressive nonsense, and you can at least forget my help.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    KaufingManKaufingMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I certainly understand the desire for revenge. If it is an expunged record there isn't anything good going to come from it.

KaufingMan on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Ok, knock off this vague whiny B***S*** and tell us exactly who this person is (a neighbor, a family member, etc.) what exactly this person did, what he was actually convicted of (if anything) and why you seem to have a bone to pick with this guy even after our criminal justice system, in all its infinite wisdom, has already punished this individual. Anymore passive-aggressive nonsense, and you can at least forget my help.

yes, because putting this all on a public forum that will probably be looked at if anything should happen would be the best idea ever. we'll need your social security number as well.

and im pretty sure the only reason he wants to do this is because the justice system not only didnt punish him, but he will have no long term reprocussions for his actions at all.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

yes, because putting this all on a public forum that will probably be looked at if anything should happen would be the best idea ever. we'll need your social security number as well.

and im pretty sure the only reason he wants to do this is because the justice system not only didnt punish him, but he will have no long term reprocussions for his actions at all.

Some people think way too highly of the reach of the PA forums...

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »

We show up on Google. It's generally not a smart idea to share too much information on this site.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    eternalbl wrote: »

We show up on Google. It's generally not a smart idea to share too much information on this site.

A nameless story is basically information-less, as far as legal repercussions go. Unless it's like trade secrets or something that's covered by an NDA.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

For all we know, he didn't deserve any long-term repercussions for his actions, the justice system meted out a reasonable punishment (restitution, etc.), and the hypothetical victim is just an immense douchebag.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The OP isn't Batman, this isn't his call to make.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I read "felony-level crime" and imagined millionaire parents buying their child out of a conviction for rape or assault with a deadly weapon, leading the OP to a life of driven revenge. But attempted arson? Really? I'm sure the guy is a douchebag and your anger is justified, but drop it and move on.

admanb on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    I read "felony-level crime" and imagined millionaire parents buying their child out of a conviction for rape or assault with a deadly weapon, leading the OP to a life of driven revenge. But attempted arson? Really? I'm sure the guy is a douchebag and your anger is justified, but drop it and move on.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not to play internet lawyer, but the offender can and would hold the school liable for discrimination (such as academic probation/suspension or predator registry) if he was never CONVICTED and had his record expunged. In that case, the SCHOOL could then come back after the victim for damages for forwarding the incriminating information to them which may or may not have been sealed by court proceedings.

I believe various states DO have victim protection laws that shield them from litigation depending on the types of damages that various institutions and accusers try to seek based on failed prosecution, but it really does vary by state.

Your best bet is just to avoid legal procedures and/or future liabilities that may hurt you financially, just have the guy killed. It ends up being much cheaper.

Gnomeland Security on
  • Options
    RepoMan1023RepoMan1023 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As for any criminal repercussions, that person could be charged with harassment or something similar. Just because someone is a victim of a crime, does not give them the right to stalk or continue to harass the perpetrators after they have gone through the justice system and whatever punishment they get. Unfortunately, the judge felt that getting off with a slap on the wrist was appropriate punishment and that's pretty much that.

Now civilly, oh there are a ton of stuff that can happen. You can sue anyone for near anything. He could definitely sue the sender for slander (or libel, not sure what it is for video) and the school if anything happens as the other posts mention.

On the other hand, why didn't the victims of the "attempted arson" sue the guy? Was there no damage at all? Was it just a flaming bag of poo on the front porch (yes, that is considered attempted arson in some places)? Age also plays a factor. If he was a juvenile when it happened, his record could have been sealed and the school cannot look into it or might not even be able to know about it (expunged and all). The best advice I can give the sender of the video is not do it.

RepoMan1023 on
    splasersigqg6.jpg
    RepoMan1023.gif
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    You know, even if it's felt the justice system failed for this one, the VICTIM can still sue the FELON for the attempted arson and damage caused instead of trying to be a sneaky douche and mailing around anonymous documents.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ceres wrote: »
    You know, even if it's felt the justice system failed for this one, the VICTIM can still sue the FELON for the attempted arson and damage caused instead of trying to be a sneaky douche and mailing around anonymous documents.

Anything other than this seems at best childish, and at worst psychotic.

Saddler on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, this could easily be swinging either way.

Are we talking attempted arson the guy poured oil all over your house, lit some wood then it rained before the oil caught or are we talking, he didn't stomp out a cigarette on your porch and your porch caught fire a bit?

Sipex on
  • Options
    CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ceres wrote: »

Quoted again for truth. This is what civil court is for. "Preponderance of evidence" versus "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt".

CheBourgeoisNoir on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sipex wrote: »
    Yeah, this could easily be swinging either way.

Are we talking attempted arson the guy poured oil all over your house, lit some wood then it rained before the oil caught or are we talking, he didn't stomp out a cigarette on your porch and your porch caught fire a bit?

Akin to the former. He failed to ignite the gasoline with a lit cigarette.

Anyways, thanks all for the responses.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png