As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for suggestions on a crying baby.

taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, last night we took our daugher (barely 4 months) to a friend's house. We had taken her there before with no problems what so ever. This time, however, about 20 to 30 minutes after we got there, she started crying uncontrollably. I don't just mean a small cry, either, she had tears rolling down her face. She also had a very runny nose. It got so bad, that we decided to skip dinner and head home. I was considering just going straight to a doctor, but no more than 4 minutes on leaving, she had stopped crying. By the time we made it home, she had come to and was doing the baby laugh at us and in a general good mood.

So... my question is simply what all I should suspect?

taeric on

• ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm not a parent. I can however attest to the stories I've heard from my family about me. Sometimes you could take me out and I'd be the picture perfect sleeping baby. Other times I was hell unleashed. So you might suspect that the cards just weren't there for you that night.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    I'm not a parent. I can however attest to the stories I've heard from my family about me. Sometimes you could take me out and I'd be the picture perfect sleeping baby. Other times I was hell unleashed. So you might suspect that the cards just weren't there for you that night.

I should add that every time I took her out of the house by myself, she would calm down. Upon reentering or having others approach, she would start crying again. My wife holding her would cause her to cry doing the same things I could do and she would be ok. (Provided we were outside.)

My biggest suspicion was allergies.

taeric on
  • BuddyDoQBuddyDoQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Of this 20~30 minutes, how was she being handled?

Sometimes babies cry just to hear their own voice. Sometimes they really need something (Omnomnom's, sleep, a wipe down...)

Our little girl is just now a month, and I discovered that picking her up and "Traveling Beyond the Speed of Cry!" helps a lot. We just dart (slowly, but with mock urgency) from one room to the other with me shouting like a madman, the change of pace, noises, and new things to see makes her forget that she was upset. After about 10 seconds she's fine with just being held and looking around. First time I did it was out of desperation and the silliness that creeps up when one goes without sleep. :P

YMMV

BuddyDoQ on
    edited November 2009
    I don't mean she was doing a small cry. She was gasping for breath between long howls. You could literally hear her throat going hoarse with the cries.

Edit: To actually answer your question. Sorry about that. She was being held by me. When my friend's mother got there, she wanted to hold her, so I let her. Following that, we at first thought she was hungry or had a bad diaper. The only thing I could do to calm her was take her outside.

taeric on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    taeric wrote: »
    I don't mean she was doing a small cry. She was gasping for breath between long howls. You could literally hear her throat going hoarse with the cries.

It could be anything from allergies to something spooked her to something that smelled wrong to her to teething to the strange - anixety phase. For a period of 3 months, my girls wouldn't let anyone other than my wife and I, not even my parents, hold them or touch them. Then, it just went away on its own. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it...

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maybe the house smelled.

Artereis on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wrapping her snugly in a blanket can help.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited November 2009
    We tried basically swaddling her. I also thought that was for babies just a bit younger than she is. But, regardless, we tried pretty much every trick from "happiest baby in the block."

taeric on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, that's all I've got. =)

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When does stranger anxiety kick in? Babies go through a period where being around unfamiliar people will really freak them out sometimes.

RUNN1NGMAN on
    edited November 2009
    I don't know and I am now looking in to that. :)

And I realize I haven't been thanking everyone for the suggestions. That is a horrible omission on my part. I am incredibly grateful for the help! Thanks!

taeric on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    4 months is kind of young for stranger anxiety. It could be for any number of reasons. When our son was younger, just carrying him around would usually stop him crying (yes, even big cries). And swaddling is good pretty much until they can get out of it themselves. There was probably just some stimulus there that the baby didn't like.

Sir Carcass on
  • Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BuddyDoQ wrote: »
    "Traveling Beyond the Speed of Cry!"

Adorable. I d'awwwwwwwwwwwwww'd.

OP, as you mentioned, it could very well be allergies. Did they have any cats or dogs? Was the friend holding her wearing wool? Do you or your SO have any serious allergies?

As others said, it could very well be just not liking anyone but mom and dad for now. But the runny nose makes me think allergies. Never hurts to call the pediatrician.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
    edited November 2009
    BuddyDoQ wrote: »
    "Traveling Beyond the Speed of Cry!"

Adorable. I d'awwwwwwwwwwwwww'd.

OP, as you mentioned, it could very well be allergies. Did they have any cats or dogs? Was the friend holding her wearing wool? Do you or your SO have any serious allergies?

As others said, it could very well be just not liking anyone but mom and dad for now. But the runny nose makes me think allergies. Never hurts to call the pediatrician.

I had very serious allergies as a child. Up until my mid teens just the smell of seafood would cause me to have a reaction. Nowdays, though, I am perfectly fine with anything. Shrimp (not shellfish in general) will cause my throat to swell, but nothing anyone else can see. I can simply feel it and will likely have to whisper.

Biggest dent against that being the problem is that she didn't show any swelling or rash or anything.

Also, she is perfectly fine in daycare. (My wife is trying to get to a position where she can quit working. We would love it if one of us is at home, and she would rather it was her. Not there yet, though. :( )

It is embarrassing to say I am unsure if my wife actually called the pediatrician. I will have to check on that.

Again, thanks everyone!

taeric on
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lots of crying will always lead to a runny nose. There are ducts that carry excess fluid from the eye and into the nose, they get overwhelmed when people cry, but they still carry some to the nose.

I don't have any answers for you, but I wouldn't be worried about a runny nose that started during crying.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You never learned the 5 S's? Oh man...
    http://johnsarm.net/5-S%20in%20colic.htm

Also, babies cry.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • AndeAnde Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was also 'hell unleashed' as a baby. Whenever my parents went somewhere, I would always start crying at some point for no apparent reason, and the only way to get me to shut up was taking me outside, or for a short car ride...

... or putting me on top of the dryer while it's running. (In a baby seat thingamajig! Not just plunking the baby on the dryer!) The rocking and hum was like a car, I guess. No matter how much I'd been screaming, I would always fall asleep in like 5 minutes.

Ande on
    edited November 2009
    You never learned the 5 S's? Oh man...
    http://johnsarm.net/5-S%20in%20colic.htm

Also, babies cry.

The 5 S's are from that book, I thought. Regardless, we know them. We tried all of them. Didn't help. :(

taeric on
    edited November 2009
    Ande wrote: »
    I was also 'hell unleashed' as a baby. Whenever my parents went somewhere, I would always start crying at some point for no apparent reason, and the only way to get me to shut up was taking me outside, or for a short car ride...

... or putting me on top of the dryer while it's running. (In a baby seat thingamajig! Not just plunking the baby on the dryer!) The rocking and hum was like a car, I guess. No matter how much I'd been screaming, I would always fall asleep in like 5 minutes.

I think my fear is that I will have myself as a child. I was hell unleashed in that I was at a picnic with them at the nice age of 6 months and choked up so bad I had to go to the emergency room. Why? Because we could smell fish.

I don't know if there are easier ways for us to find out if my daughter has those problems, though, other than waiting for her to choke. I'd rather avoid that, though. :(

taeric on
  • BuddyDoQBuddyDoQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Here's a resource my better half discovered yesterday, tons of awesome tips and tricks for the fussy baby: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp#T051201

BuddyDoQ on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My daughter is almost 7 months. Since she was born, no matter what the reason, if she was crying we could take her outside onto the porch and she'd stop crying instantly. Heck i could open the door and stand in the doorway and she'd stop.

I imagine it was one of two things. Allergies. I don't know about babies, but at my moms house her cats flare up my asthma something bad. I never have ANY problems anywhere else in the world, but my parents house (they moved into it after I went off to college). When i visit I have to use an inhaler and allergy meds just to function after an hour exposure.
    Now I can be staying there and if I leave the house I'll be feeling tons better within 20 minutes just being outside or someplace else.

The other thing I think it could have been was she got scared. New baby, unfamilar place, unfamilar people, you let the friend's mom hold her and she freaks! Maybe she associated going back in from outside each time with seeing the mom or just seeing the room where she thought you ditched her on the scary lady.

Another example of my daughter. My wife was volunteering before the Race for the Cure walk in a large place with lots of ladies. She stopped in to pick something up and had our daughter with her. She walked around showing her to different people she knew and our girl was fine. One of her friends held her for a bit and she was fine. The friend took her a little ways from my wife and the baby realized she couldn't see her mom anymore and FREAKED. I mean screaming crying coughing crazy just like you explained.

Some babies don't like certain people for whatever reason. Some don't like anyone unless they are familar.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Amusingly, we have gotten a few of the "babies are more in tune to certain individuals not being good people." The mysticism implied by that just perplexes me. I accept that I may not be able to explain why my daughter was crying. I refuse to accept that nobody will ever be able to explain it. That worries me. (I am not at all saying you were saying that, just your last sentence reminds me of the people that told us that, and I thought the audience here would get some amusement out of it.)

Thanks again for the ideas. The basic gyst seems to be to just pay extra attention to the environment details from now on. I will try and fix in my head all of the particulars of that night to see what was different. Only new person introduced to her was my friend's mother. She also had brought a very fragrant food dish. I'm leaning towards it being the dish.

taeric on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This has happened to my son (7 months old) and it seems to happen when there's a lot of excitement going on. Especially if the baby hadn't slept much prior to that, many times they will scream/cry because they're really tired, but the stimulation and such from being around new people or in a new place will keep them up, which makes them more mad, etc.

If it was something like that, just holding them generally isn't enough, you have to take them somewhere outside and/or quiet where they can relax.

Ganluan on
  • DjCalvinDjCalvin MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My Money is on a smell that bothered your baby, Ive had it happen with my daughter.

The happiest baby on the block book/video saved my sanity when my daughter was first born.
    I'd wrap that kid up like a burrito nice and tight and do the shhhhh'ing in her ear..
    Soon as she was breaking free of my burrito wrap of solitude.. all bets were off though.

DjCalvin on