As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

School me on printers

lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
Yeah, I just want to buy a decent printer for occasional use but my attempts to educate myself on this have failed. This will be for fairly casual use so probably an inkjet is in order but there are so many models.

What I'd like
  1. Wireless
  2. Lowish ink cost (I'm not going to be printing a ton so it's not super important but I'd like my head to refrain from exploding when I have to buy ink).
  3. Decent enough print quality
  4. Smaller is better

Don't care about
  1. Print Speed
  2. Large paper capacity
  3. All in one functionality

Any suggestions?

steam_sig.png
(Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
lowlylowlycook on

• Options
    Tanooki MarioTanooki Mario __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Are you printing color? If not, pick up a little laser printer. I bought a Dell about five years ago with a 10,000 page toner that's still going strong.

If you are doing color, nice printers are going to run you $200+ if you want low ink costs. Most printers on the market are designed to be loss-leaders on ink, so my best advice there is to keep an eye on ink cartridge prices when you're looking at a particular model.

Tanooki Mario on
    I'm the artist formerly known as Satan.
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    B&W or Color?

Wireless is going to add a chunk of change. Wired networking is almost a standard feature on all laserjers, but wireless is definitely a premium.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'll probably need color.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wireless is a feature that the smaller brands tend to give away cheap so you can buy their shitty printer, which may or may not be any good.

What sort of color printing do you expect to do and how much of it? Very important to narrow down what you need by those two criteria.

For instance if you very occasionally need to print high quality photo level printers...well, find a local printshop and have them do it.

If you need decent but not great color pie charts and shit get a low end color laser on the cheap from Brother.

If you need great photo prints all the time by a high end espon, canon, or HP inkjet and a cheap B&W laser.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Tanooki MarioTanooki Mario __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, do you have a router with a USB port? Bam, wireless printing. I know for some people the location of their router and the location of their printer aren't the same thing.

They also make USB-to-WiFi dongles for printers, so if you find a printer you like that lacks wireless you can go that route.

Tanooki Mario on
    I'm the artist formerly known as Satan.
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some printers also come with an ethernet port you can hook up directly to a router.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So this is what I'm leaning towards: HP Officejet 6000.

Seems cheap and wireless, PC mag seems to think that it doesn't suck and that ink is not at rape me prices.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think that thing uses 920 ink, which is a decent deal.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576