Options

[Skepticism Thread] Threatening our science-fiction-boners since 1969.

• Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Guys, check this out:

712_sunmoon_clear.jpg

It's a medieval woodcut of the sun and moon, right?

But how would medieval people know about them without telescopes?

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    sligmastasligmasta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Macera wrote: »
    Guys, check this out:

712_sunmoon_clear.jpg

It's a medieval woodcut of the sun and moon, right?

But how would medieval people know about them without telescopes?

more importantly, thats clearly a depiction of a person's face on the moon. they must have known its possible to put someone there, and how could they know that? now i'm not saying that aliens did tell them that, but I am saying that because I prefer to ignore all rational explanations such as artistic liscence, hyperbole, and religion, aliens are the most reasonable explanation left

edit:also, that depiction on the right bears a striking resemblance to that of modern space shuttles, with the "explosion" shape at the top clearly expressing early mans impressions of the heat that is created when a shuttle reenters the atmosphere

sligmasta on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And yet I still don't see any flying cars.

Whatever happened to alien efficiency?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    sligmastasligmasta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Page- wrote: »

no no no, your doing it all wrong

you can't take a picture and expect it to acurately represent what we'll come up with in the future or what it actually is a visualization of. you have to look at the basic shapes and imagery in it, look for those same things in our modern world.

ie, flying car=people in a winged thing that travels on both ground and air

thus in the future we will all ride inside giant birds that we found on another planet which we were led to by aliens. those who first drew flying cars were shown them by the aliens, but they couldnt understand or acurately depict what they saw.

notice how the inteligence of the original artist is insulted, and the ideas of it being a fictional or stylized work are entirely ignored? these are the marks of a truly great scientific thinker

sligmasta on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    sligmasta wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »

no no no, your doing it all wrong

you can't take a picture and expect it to acurately represent what we'll come up with in the future or what it actually is a visualization of. you have to look at the basic shapes and imagery in it, look for those same things in our modern world.

ie, flying car=people in a winged thing that travels on both ground and air

durer2106.jpg

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Whoa, hey, WHOA

they were trying to tell us something with that picture
    durer2106.jpg

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Whoa, hey, WHOA

they were trying to tell us something with that picture
    durer2106.jpg

Oh gods! You mean Angels are Autobots, but the latter word has slowly evolved into the former???

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    Let me get this straight ACSIS... you believe that thousands of years ago, there were aliens involved in some kind of interstellar war in our corner of the galaxy. One faction of these aliens stumbled upon an undiscovered pristine resource-rich planet populated by a few primitive tribes.

And in the middle of this war, they decided to leave the resources untapped. They instead decided to pick up a few natives, give them a grand tour, drop them back off without any explanation. Then they departed, leaving the planet completely unguarded and undefended, apparently unconcerned of the possibility that their enemy would stumble upon it and would decide to exploit it to enhance their war effort. And over the thousands of years that followed, they never again decided to come back and check up on us.

That is what you are suggesting. That is what sounds like a rational theory in your mind.

E.Ts move in mysterious ways

Technically, this could be consistent with a tactically significant position.
    yes, they installed a cloaking device which shields earth from all exterior communication, but also works the other way around.
    So the prime directive is unharmed emot-smug.gif

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ACSIS wrote: »
    Because back then nobody could know about those things. Humanity (with all due respect) was not avanced that far.

Just because we haven't hammered it home quite enough:

'Cuz ancient people's couldn't just make shit up, amirite?

The number of claims made by ancient peoples have turned out to be wrong vastly more often than they turned out to be right. This does not make the times they turned out to be even quasi-accurate in regards to modern technology (or even futuristic sci-fi tech) something to be taken seriously. It makes it much more likely to be simply a product of random chance.

If I throw enough darts, I'm going to hit a bullseye. When I hit a bullseye, am I a great darts player? No, because seriously, the misses vastly outnumber the hits.

And all those sentences I just made are totally disregarding the fact that they ancients never even hit a damn bullseye. They hit the wall, then you walk over there and draw a damn dartboard around the darts and say "Look, a bullseye!"

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    Let me get this straight ACSIS... you believe that thousands of years ago, there were aliens involved in some kind of interstellar war in our corner of the galaxy. One faction of these aliens stumbled upon an undiscovered pristine resource-rich planet populated by a few primitive tribes.

And in the middle of this war, they decided to leave the resources untapped. They instead decided to pick up a few natives, give them a grand tour, drop them back off without any explanation. Then they departed, leaving the planet completely unguarded and undefended, apparently unconcerned of the possibility that their enemy would stumble upon it and would decide to exploit it to enhance their war effort. And over the thousands of years that followed, they never again decided to come back and check up on us.

That is what you are suggesting. That is what sounds like a rational theory in your mind.

E.Ts move in mysterious ways

Technically, this could be consistent with a tactically significant position.
    yes, they installed a cloaking device which shields earth from all exterior communication, but also works the other way around.
    So the prime directive is unharmed emot-smug.gif

You want to hear THE STORY. Okay. No problem. This is higly speculative, even by my standarts.

One day a skycity arrived, after a long voyage, at this planet.

I have no idea if they did this by emerging and fainting generations, by some sort of stasis (some animals can be frozen and thaw to be alive again, the ice crystals destroying the cells are conserved by a special kind of sugar) or if they possesed some kind of FTL technology (from what i know unlikely).

They arrived and colonized this world. They had a slighly different approach than we have today.

They picked the most advanced creature evolving on that world (i have no idea what their standarts for selection are).

They experimented and tampered with genes till they finally succeded in creating a hybrid race.

Immaculate conception and missing link ring a bell?

Instead of making the planet habitable for their species the blended into the genetics of already evolved species perfectly geared for surviving on this planet. Instead of altering the environment they altered themselves.

A few years ago this would have been utter nonsense. Interspecies breeding. Its not working even between races wich have evolved on the same planet. However, at the moment we make dramatic progress in genetics. Hybrid species are a reality.

There are many ancient reports about hybrid creatures, especially from greece or egypt. Also the symbol of medicine was always two snakes entwined. Double helix anybody?

They aided the rise of civilization and took control from above. To pick the Maharabata example: Vishnu was a hybrid king and Shiva was probably the leader of the (a?) skycity, and as Vishnu ran into problems Shiva gave him weapons from the mothership. Vimana, Chakra, iron thunderbolts, soundseeking weapons... that kind of weapons.

Cappadocian underground cities. Well, not actual cities. Just a lot of room for a lot people to move underground. Why would somebody construct this? Perhaps to be sheltered from attacks? Is it a bunker? Kaimakli, Derinkuyu and about 34 others? And what kind of enemy was that forcing them underground?

Then something happened. War in the heavens. A familiar concept? The city(s?) vanished. We have no idea if they just left or if they destroyed each other (there is some indication for that in buddistic scripture). Its handed down the gods promised to return. That might be wishful thinking.

I also think this was not the only visit we had experienced, just the most influencing.

A race wich arises on a planet orbiting an active star (like our sun) faces sooner or later the dilema of the star using up its fuel supply. To survive they HAVE to leave their cradle. Thats also true for the human race. We can't stay here if we want to survive. A rule wich is constant troughout the entire cosmos.

The elements for life, as we know it (and we still learn new things every day), are very common. This universe seems to be the perfect breeding ground for interstellar civilizations. Its simply a matter of survival.

Everything in the universe seems to focus on that direction.

I doubt we are the first race evolving in that direction, considering the vastness of our universe. Its statistically highly unlikely.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This is higly speculative, even by my standarts.
    Can a sane person even comprehend the depths of the abyss to which this sentence leads a person?

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh, man.

Where to even start...

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Okay, let's destroy a couple misconceptions you've got about ancient mythology.

No such thing as a missing link. The term is bullshit, as it describes nothing. Your context here isn't even modern, let alone ancient.

Immaculate means free from flaws. There has been no evidence that humans have ever been free from flaws by any extent of the imagination.

Humans have never shown that they were perfectly geared for surviving on this planet. In fact, the reason they have survived even as well as they have is because they change their environment to suit them (which is a tactic you say the aliens didn't want to do). The planet is hostile to us, thus we change the planet to suit us.

Inter-special breeding with fertile offspring being a result means they weren't two separate species to begin with.

There are no hybrid creatures that I have ever seen in mythology. There are chimerical ones in mythology, but not hybrids (a man with a bulls head is a chimera, not a hybrid). The two snakes entwined have more plausible origins, this is you taking a modern view and applying it without context to ancient Greece. Your examples of weapons sound like something Casey Luskin would say. "Humans have developed a technology imitating octopus camoflage, thus octopi must have been designed by a creator!"

War in the heavens sounds a whole lot like a thunderstorm. You've heard of thunderstorms, right? A bunch of bright flashes and explosions in the sky?

This universe seems to be inimical to insterstellar civilizations, as the number of things that can wipe out said civilizations are very common. Also interstellar travel is, to all human knowledge (if you say otherwise, you better back that sucker up with citations of some credible sources) prohibitively energy expensive and requires a large amount of time.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "Immaculate conception" usually refers to the virgin birth in Christian mythology.

It's more likely that any claimed virgin birth is due to the alleged virgin lying about their virginity, however, especially given the social pressures of the day.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    japan wrote: »
    "Immaculate conception" usually refers to the virgin birth in Christian mythology.

It's more likely that any claimed virgin birth is due to the alleged virgin lying about their virginity, however, especially given the social pressures of the day.
    Immaculate conception usually refers to the Catholic fanciful desires of a virgin birth, which is not supported by the actual text. From what I recall the word actually used means "young woman" at best, and is used several other times to refer to non-virgins as well. It is a false concept based on a mistranslation, thus trying to tie it to a hybrid born from a womb with a view lends no support.

"See, this process sorta sounds like immaculate conception from the bible!"
    "You mean, besides the fact that immaculate conception doesn't mean what you thought it meant, and that variation of the story only became popular long after the text was written, thus making your tie-in even further contextually incorrect?"

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fair enough. I was just pointing out that he probably wasn't using "immaculate" in the sense of "free from flaws".

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, it is a common trait for leaders, whether spiritual or religious to eventually start claiming some sort of special ancestry, in order to bolster their authority. Having a divine parent, a special conception, a visitation, mandate etc pop up all the time in new or ancient societies - but that doesn't mean they are influenced by Aliens or Gods, it could be either an inherent human trait or just an appeal to cultural tropes

Kalkino on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to go with the easy ones:
    Immaculate conception and missing link ring a bell?

There were people around well before the immaculate conception of the bible's new testament. If the bible is an accurate history, why doesn't it describe people before this event as different to after it? Or at least have that as the story of genesis?
    There is no such thing as a 'missing link' in the chain of human evolution, this is an outdated notion born of ignorance.
    the symbol of medicine was always two snakes entwined. Double helix anybody?

The symbol of medicine is actually the Rod of Asclepius (note: one snake), the two-snake Caduceus has only been mistakenly associated with medicine since the 1800s.

We don't know whether life is likely to be common in the universe or not, we only have one data point to go off. Many other planets close to the size of earth have very different chemical makeups, it seems that the ratio of the abundant heavy elements in the accretion disk that then goes on to form a solar system and planets is most important for this. In many of the earth-like planets we have discovered, the chemistry is dominated by carbon or other elements instead of oxygen like it is here.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Also, it is a common trait for leaders, whether spiritual or religious to eventually start claiming some sort of special ancestry, in order to bolster their authority. Having a divine parent, a special conception, a visitation, mandate etc pop up all the time in new or ancient societies - but that doesn't mean they are influenced by Aliens or Gods, it could be either an inherent human trait or just an appeal to cultural tropes
    Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen

japan on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fair enough. I was just pointing out that he probably wasn't using "immaculate" in the sense of "free from flaws".
    Immaculate conception as being "free from flaws" is exactly what immaculate conception is supposed to be. When I said "usually refers", I should have been more specific. Modern laymen usually assume that is what the term means. Wikipedia does a decent writeup in the first paragraph, what it actually refers to is that Jesus was born without any stain of original sin, he was free of that flaw. It has nothing to do with "virgin birth" truth be told. The actual "virgin birth" is a different thing entirely.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was just typing in "unbefleckte Geburt" into an german english translator. You are correct. I was refering to pregnancy despite virginity, thanks.

Another interesting thing is that somehow this is present in our subconciousness. Like gigant reptilans (example: dragons) being still rooted in our subconciousness, likely a heritage of our primal ancestors living aside with dinosaurs. If we look a sci-fi flicks like Stargate or Galactica or Predator... and so on... those elements are always present. Its like somthing is trying to rise out of our subconciousness. I particular like the quote from the 5TH Element:

"Time is not important, life is all that matters." as the alien hands the baffled priest, who was accompanying the archaologists to make shure they won't discover anything, a key before being squashed by a wall in the ancient temple.

Hybrid creatures, or chimeras, if you prefer that are a fact. Because of ethnical questions most of this is done outside of public knowledge but if we look at plants for an example (wich seem to get the short end of ethics) thats quite normal today. In case of animals we have crossed sheep and goats and probably a lot more neither of us is aware of.
    Elitistb wrote: »
    This universe seems to be inimical to insterstellar civilizations, as the number of things that can wipe out said civilizations are very common. Also interstellar travel is, to all human knowledge (if you say otherwise, you better back that sucker up with citations of some credible sources) prohibitively energy expensive and requires a large amount of time.

Humans have a problem concerning the distances. They can't make it in a lifetime and they are used to rapid transportation, so the look naturally in that direction. Speed however, is not REQUIRED. Of course it would be nice but what matters is doing the trip and not how fast you arrive. Personally i prefer the hibernation scenario because we have quite some species capable of hibernation here.

And... it is inimical. But it is inimical in just the right amount to encourage leaving the cradle. Thats the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaW4Ol3_M1o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ReuLZ2quc

"And god created the humans in his image."
    We are meant to ascend. And if we don't we are not worth it. Thats the point.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes, that is a hybrid. A mule for instance does not have a donkey's head on a horses body. It is a genetic combination.
    If you say something is a fact, I am willing to listen to you explain it.

Also, while you're on it, please explain how gigantic reptiles are ingrained in our subconscious through means other than being exposed to dinosaurs, mythology, and fiction; such as the memory of our ancestors being transfered to us.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    We don't know whether life is likely to be common in the universe or not, we only have one data point to go off. Many other planets close to the size of earth have very different chemical makeups, it seems that the ratio of the abundant heavy elements in the accretion disk that then goes on to form a solar system and planets is most important for this. In many of the earth-like planets we have discovered, the chemistry is dominated by carbon or other elements instead of oxygen like it is here.

Uh, what? We have discovered, I don't think, any Earth sized planets. We've spotted a few "heavy Earth's", one or two in the habitable zone and nothing Earth-sized in the habitable zone.

And I'm fairly sure we know very, very little about their potential-biosphere chemistry.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    NASA does think that Neptune is covered in oceans of liquid diamond though.
    That is bad ass.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That is bad ass.

Wouldn't that just be molten carbon? And wouldn't that be somewhat impossible without extreme, anerobic temperatures?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen

With her being the exception of course

God Save the Queen

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes, that is a hybrid. A mule for instance does not have a donkey's head on a horses body. It is a genetic combination.

Also, while you're on it, please explain how gigantic reptiles are ingrained in our subconscious through means other than being exposed to dinosaurs, mythology, and fiction; such as the memory of our ancestors being transfered to us.

Okay, lets give it a shot:

We are talking about genetic combinations. Sniping off pieces of DNA and implement them (with some kind of enzyme if i am not mistaken) into some totally different creature. Have you seen the mouse with the human ear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEc7QXAjsL4

We are not talking about crossbreding horse and donkey to create (non reproduction capable) mules. Okay? So when i talk about hybrids i think about it as "hybrid-dna", manipulating the genetic blueprint. Not snipping off body parts and reattach or simple crossbreeding. I am talking about genetics.

And for your second question... i can't explain that, sorry. I just know there is a cetain fixed part, some kind of "racial memory" embeded deep within our conciousness. Fear from spiders as an example (i don't suffer it but most of us do), fear of heights (wich i do suffer). Such things.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Uh, what? We have discovered, I don't think, any Earth sized planets. We've spotted a few "heavy Earth's", one or two in the habitable zone and nothing Earth-sized in the habitable zone.

And I'm fairly sure we know very, very little about their potential-biosphere chemistry.

I mean close to earth sized, things like GJ 1214 b

and we can sort of figure out what they're made of overall by the density. I don't mean the biosphere, I mean the entire planet. Doesn't matter about the biosphere's specifics if there is no oxygen anywhere on the planet.

That is bad ass.

Wouldn't that just be molten carbon? And wouldn't that be somewhat impossible without extreme, anerobic temperatures?

yeah the article I read about that was confusing, since diamond is defined by the covalent bond structure and you can't have covalent bonds between everything like that in a liquid. I think what they meant was a pressure such that when you increase and decrease the temperature, it changes phase between liquid carbon and diamond but I'm not sure. The interesting thing is that the solid diamond floated on the liquid.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Okay, lets give it a shot:

We are talking about genetic combinations. Sniping off pieces of DNA and implement them (with some kind of enzyme if i am not mistaken) into some totally different creature. Have you seen the mouse with the human ear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEc7QXAjsL4

We are not talking about crossbreding horse and donkey to create (non reproduction capable) mules. Okay? So when i talk about hybrids i think about it as "hybrid-dna", manipulating the genetic blueprint. Not snipping off body parts and reattach or simple crossbreeding. I am talking about genetics.

And for your second question... i can't explain that, sorry. I just know there is a cetain fixed part, some kind of "racial memory" embeded deep within our conciousness. Fear from spiders as an example (i don't suffer it but most of us do), fear of heights (wich i do suffer). Such things.

That mouse was made by surgically implanting a biodegradable scaffold in the mouse and seeding it with cow cartilage cells. Absolutely nothing to do with genetic modification.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The mouse with the human ear isn't a genetic hybrid, it was genetically engineered, but only in so far as it had some genes deactivated to suppress its immune system.

The ear itself is made of a biodegradable polymer and seeded with cartilage cells, which is then implanted under the mouse's skin to provide an environment for the cartilage to grow, displacing the polymer. the end result is a shaped cartilage structure that can be implanted into humans.

It's a really cool piece of bioengineering, but it isn't anything to do with genetic hybridisation.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That planet is hardly earth-like - it's postulated to be a water-world as well. We'll know more about Earth-like planets once we find some actual Earth-like planets with the new detectors going up.

Also I'd be interested to know what we would expect our own planet's composition to look like with our instruments at long distances.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The understanding I got about the neptune thing was that "liquid diamond" was an accurate description, and it was the massive pressure that allowed/caused it to happen.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Elitistb wrote: »

Immaculate conception usually refers to the Catholic fanciful desires of a virgin birth, which is not supported by the actual text. From what I recall the word actually used means "young woman" at best, and is used several other times to refer to non-virgins as well. It is a false concept based on a mistranslation, thus trying to tie it to a hybrid born from a womb with a view lends no support.

"See, this process sorta sounds like immaculate conception from the bible!"
    "You mean, besides the fact that immaculate conception doesn't mean what you thought it meant, and that variation of the story only became popular long after the text was written, thus making your tie-in even further contextually incorrect?"

Actually, it's a common confusion that the "immacualte conception" refers to the virgin birth of Jesus. It has nothing to do with it at all. As Elitistb pointed out, "immaculate" means "free from flaws". It refers to the Catholic (not Christian) belief that Mary was conceived free from the original sin, and that she was a morally perfect, sinless woman.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    You know what pissed me off? Fucking chiropractors.

It is by far the most successful alternative medicine hoax in existence. There has never been a scientifically confirmed case of a chiropractic subluxation, nerves don't even work that way. Hell, before they started suggesting that it had something to do with pinched nerves it used to be about "the body's natural energy".

Not only do chiropractors claim to be able to do ludicrous things like cure allergies, using it to treat ailments one would think are directly related to the spine (pain in the spine, pain in the neck, headaches) is far inferior to a number of available medical options.
    http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2004/11/effectiveness-of-chiropractic-care.html

This has little to no mainstream opposition either!

My mom went to a chiropractor at the age of 48 and had her hold a machine that supposedly told her she had celiac disease. Now she goes out of her way to not eat wheat and claims she feels better than ever when by every objective metric she is completely the same as she always has been.

I went to a chiropractor as a kid because my dads health insurance paid for him to see one and the dude was like "hop up on the table little guy! lemme make parts of your body crack too!"

and i have to say. that shit feels fantastic. it is like a relaxing massage. only more forceful.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yea, its the intense pressure that allows the diamond to stay "diamond" in liquid form.
    From PopSci
    Scientists zapped diamond with a laser at pressures 40 million times greater than the Earth's atmosphere at sea level, and then slowly reduced both temperature and pressure. They eventually found that diamond behaves like water during freezing and melting, and that chunks of diamond will float in the liquid diamond.
    Diamond oceans could explain why the magnetic fields of Uranus and Neptune appear tilted so far off their north-south axes, given that they could deflect or tilt the magnetic fields

Improvolone on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Conclusion A:
    1. There are many films featuring dragons.
    2. This is because dragons are extremely common in mythology, since forever, and are therefore used in a gratuitous fashion. Because they are popular immaginary beasts, and everyone knows what a dragon is.
    3. Films made now may be inspired by films (or other sources) that already exist! This might contribute to why more than ONE movie features a dragon!

or

Conclusion B:
    1. There are many films featuring dragons.
    2. This is because our early ancestors lived with dinosaurs, and their memories are passed down to us who are now living - 100 million years later.
    3. Everyone carries these memories, this is why movie directors often feature the large serpent-like beasts of their subconcious in their films. Movie directors and writers never see other people's films, or read books, or talk to people. They are oblivious to other works of fiction featuring dragons and just go by their hereditary memories when depicting them.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited January 2010

i can't explain that, sorry. I just know there is a cetain fixed part, some kind of "racial memory" embeded deep within our conciousness. Fear from spiders as an example (i don't suffer it but most of us do), fear of heights (wich i do suffer). Such things.

So you're citing things that don't affect everyone as a shared racial memory?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

i can't explain that, sorry. I just know there is a cetain fixed part, some kind of "racial memory" embeded deep within our conciousness. Fear from spiders as an example (i don't suffer it but most of us do), fear of heights (wich i do suffer). Such things.

So you're citing things that don't affect everyone as a shared racial memory?

A shared racial memory affects everyone. Clearly, the only logical conclusion is that those who are not affected are aliens walking among us.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That mouse was made by surgically implanting a biodegradable scaffold in the mouse and seeding it with cow cartilage cells. Absolutely nothing to do with genetic modification.

Oh, it has. But its not exactly genetics as in "altering the code", more like "we instert another part here". Not like a virus altering the reproduction code of a cell to get it reproducing virii (wich destroys the cell instead of altering it permanently - but a modified virus is capable of mutating the host cell permanently).

There are quite some options wich we are only beginning to discover right now.

Implementing out of species DNA into a host is a viable option and can be done.

You can implement wolf DNA in a frog. Most likely the result will be horrible since we don't exactly know what we are doing at the moment but we make rapid advances.

Its possible, given our "visitors" have DNA. That is of course no proof.
    Honk wrote: »
    This is because dragons are extremely common in mythology, since forever, and are therefore used in a gratuitous fashion. Because they are popular immaginary beasts, and everyone knows what a dragon is.

Its about telling stories. Today we do movies. Back then they had mythology.
    The question remains WHY it is so common in our "stories".
    To say its common in our "stories" because there are other "stories" (medium aside) is not really answering the question.
    Why are they "popular imaginary beasts everyone knows"? Hmm?

ACSIS on
This discussion has been closed.