As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless PS2 controller suggestions?

jivedansonjivedanson Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I've moved into a new apartment and purchased a fancy-pants Ikea entertainment cupboard to house all my electronic goodies. Alas, being the genius that I am, I failed to take into consideration the re-dimensioning of my entertainment space. As a result, my PS2 controller now utterly fails to reach my ass when I sit down on my couch.

Oh sure, I could move furniture/electronics/etc to compensate, but that's not thinking like a nerd. A nerd sees this as an opportunity to buy a new gadget. :lol:

Does anyone have any quality recommendations for wireless PS2 controller options? Ideally, I'd like a solution/controller that's as similar to the original PS2 controller as possible, just sans cord.

Thanks!

Wii: 4407 5109 2137 5400
jivedanson on

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Logitech Wireless Action Controller, if I'm putting all my buzzwords in the right order, is fantastic. I have one and love it to bits.

Apparently there are two versions of it out, and the newer one has the Action in it, so that's my suggestion. They retail for $30-$40 but I bought one on eBay for about $20 shipped.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    The Logitech Wireless Action Controller, if I'm putting all my buzzwords in the right order, is fantastic. I have one and love it to bits.

Apparently there are two versions of it out, and the newer one has the Action in it, so that's my suggestion. They retail for $30-$40 but I bought one on eBay for about $20 shipped.

Word. This controller is eons beyond any other wireless (or wired) PS2 controller.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yeah Logitech makes the best ps2 wireless controllers, hands down.

the only qualm I have with the one I bought is that the buttons are a little, dare I say, X-Box ish? they aren't as flat and "mashable" as the standard dual shock. but the feel and response of the controller is amazing, and battery life is acceptable =)

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I concur with the above. I would also like to add that you should never, under any circumstances, pay money for anything with the Mad Catz logo on it. Their wireless controllers in particular are rather shit-tastic.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I concur with the above. I would also like to add that you should never, under any circumstances, pay money for anything with the Mad Catz logo on it. Their wireless controllers in particular are rather shit-tastic.

Most of Mad Catz stuff is pretty shitty, they only stay in the market by underpricing everyone else with shoddy goods :P.

Anyway, I have 2 of the wireless logitech controllers from a recent wootoff, so yeah, they rock.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I must also concur with the Logitech sentiment. There's nothing better for wireless PS2 controllers.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I also concur with the motion that the Logitech PS2 wireless controller is sex.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mordrack wrote:
    I also concur with the motion that the Logitech PS2 wireless controller is sex.
    Havew... havr you humped your Logitech controller? Because that's... y'know, that's probably wrong. And definitely not covered by the warranty.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    zero_bitzero_bit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gamestop recently (in the past few months) dropped the price on used Logitech Wireless PS2 controllers. They're around $14 or so there now, which is a bargain.

For awhile only the Logitech XBox one was cheap but now the PS2 one is cheap as well! Wireless party all around!

zero_bit on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    How are the logitech wireless Xbox controllers? I'm in the same boat after being spoiled by the 360 and wii controllers, and wouldn't mind getting last gen all wireless.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    akenn129akenn129 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    70805606681.jpg

*snicker*

akenn129 on
    Pokeymans Diamond FC: 5240 8392 0439
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How are the logitech wireless Xbox controllers? I'm in the same boat after being spoiled by the 360 and wii controllers, and wouldn't mind getting last gen all wireless.

All of the wireless logitech controllers are pretty damn awesome. I've had the one for my xbox since they first came out. Haven't had any problems with it so far.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    akenn129 wrote:
    70805606681.jpg

*snicker*
    IGN voted that best gamepad of the year.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I absolutely love my wireless Logitech. It's better than Sony 1st party Dualshocks.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    chrpnk wrote:

All of the wireless logitech controllers are pretty damn awesome. I've had the one for my xbox since they first came out. Haven't had any problems with it so far.
    It's funny... I booted up Devil May Cry tonight, the first time I've played the PS2 since Okami, and suddenly my controller won't work. The analog buttons don't register, and the analog stick is in a constant state of "down" (and yeah, I tried restarting the console). It's as if fate made me want a new controller before I even knew the current one was broken. Now I have an excuse to tell my wife on why I need a new one! Huzzah!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:

Best (non-Wiimote) controller I've ever held. I like it more than the Wavebird.

A word of advice: pick up a pair of rechargable AAs (and a charger) at the same time, because that thing will blow through a pair per week.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    longshot099longshot099 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Another vote for the Logitech Cordless Action Controller. I prefer it over the Dual Shock. I think I picked my up for $30 when Circuit City had them on sale.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2277,CONTENTID=8157

But do not under any circumstances pick up a Logitech Cordless Precision Controller. It is not nearly as good.

longshot099 on
  • Options
    skyfireskyfire Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've been using Joytech 2.4GHz controllers and I like them a lot more then anything else out there even those logitech ones people seem to get a hard on for.

I find them to be more comfortable, just as reliable (if not more), they have a really high quality feel to them and they are half the price of the logitechs.

Battery life is excellent too but I don't play with rumble on but I think with rumble on they still lasted awhile (month i think?) and I tend to play a lot so yeah can't recommend them enough. Get them over the logitech ones no doubt about it.

skyfire on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have 2 logitech wireless... and I don't really like them. They feel a little too large and the buttons a bit too mushy. I feel a bit uncomfortable using them for any fast action games like DMC3 but I'll use them for turn based or slower stuff.

solsovly on
  • Options
    skyfireskyfire Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    solsovly wrote:
    I have 2 logitech wireless... and I don't really like them. They feel a little too large and the buttons a bit too mushy. I feel a bit uncomfortable using them for any fast action games like DMC3 but I'll use them for turn based or slower stuff.

Large? they are smaller then logitechs :?

Are we talking about the same ones? Darn can't remember the exact model of the controllers? Neo-X or somthing? They're the ones that are blue and have rubber grips.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misread your post :). Sorry about that.

skyfire on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    akenn129 wrote:
    70805606681.jpg

*snicker*

Is this pad actually any good? I'm a sucker for gimmicky things like this (yes, I know we hate the word "gimmick" here), and I'd like to have a wireless ps2 controller as well.

Ballman on
  • Options
    AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ballman wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    akenn129 wrote:
    NERF

*snicker*

Is this pad actually any good? I'm a sucker for gimmicky things like this (yes, I know we hate the word "gimmick" here), and I'd like to have a wireless ps2 controller as well.
    IGN really liked it but I haven't read or seen anything else about it. I'm thinking about picking one up as well.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eh, dual shock controllers come with like 800 feet worth of cable...never saw the need for wireless except lack of clutter. :P

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love my Logitech PS2 wireless controller but the d-pad is a little wonky, anybody else find that?

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hey the same thing happened to my logitech controller.

i was wondering if there was a way to reset the axis or something.

it sucked since i loved it.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    jivedansonjivedanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, I totally saw the Nerf controller in the store the other day--I thought it was a joke at first. That IGN review... interesting...

It felt... soft in the hands. You can squeeze the lower handle parts just like a Nerf football. It's light as all hell. The button aspects felt cheap, but I admit, there's an appeal to be had in a light, fluffy controller you can hurl like a boomerang in anger and not break anything.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Logitech seems to be the fav, and I'll be keeping my eye out for one of those.

jivedanson on
    Wii: 4407 5109 2137 5400
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Eh, dual shock controllers come with like 800 feet worth of cable...never saw the need for wireless except lack of clutter. :P
    Man, reduction of clutter is well worth the extra money. ;) Now that I've gone all wireless with my PS2, GC and Wii, I don't think I could ever go back. I need to buy cheap GC extension cords for my bongos, too ... if I could make every single electronic component in my life wireless, I could die a happy man.

The only "gimmicky" controllers I've ever remotely given a second glance to are those Air-Flow ones that circulate cool air through the handles. I'm a chronic Palm Sweater.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey i found this on how to ix the Logitech Action controller issue

Essentially how to recalibrate it.

Re-calibrating the Logitech Cordless Action Controller for PlayStation2
    Detailed Description

How do I re-calibrate the Logitech Cordless Action Controller for PlayStation®2?
    Answer

Normally there is no reason to re-calibrate the Logitech Cordless Action Controller for PlayStation2. In rare cases where the mini-joysticks may need to be re-calibrated, you can use the process below. Please note that this process only works for the Logitech Cordless Action Controller for PlayStation2.

1. Remove one battery.
    2. Hold the L1 and L2 buttons while re-inserting the battery. (NOTE: Do not touch or move the mini-joysticks at all during this time. It is very important that the mini joysticks are allowed to center themselves during this step or the calibration procedure will not be successful.)

The mini-joysticks should now be re-calibrated. Please note that in some cases you may need to resynchronize the gamepad and receiver after this procedure. For more information on resynchronizing this device please see Knowledge Base Article 437:

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    -poe--poe- Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would echo the Logitech recommendation, except I had an issue where the X button started sticking after about 4 months. This article goes into some detail, including how to do a semi-fix (just moves the problem to a different button). I've since gone with a Gameshark pad since it's available for as little as $15 from retailers, and works fine, other than some weirdness with syncing a controller to the Player one port when you have two receivers (just turn the controller off and back on if it syncs to the 2nd receiver; the other controller will sync to whichever receiver the first doesn't in any case).

Having seen those Nerf controllers at my store, I'm really tempted, but they have that circular D-Pad, which I consider the worst thing you can have in a controller.

-poe- on
  • Options
    smallmouthsmallmouth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Are the Logitech's analog sticks better than the Dual Shock's? I don't mind wired controllers, but I'm wondering if it's worth the investment from that perspective?

smallmouth on
    PSN: smh17; Wii code: 0022 6537 1791 3136, Zune: smh17
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Man, reduction of clutter is well worth the extra money. ;) Now that I've gone all wireless with my PS2, GC and Wii, I don't think I could ever go back. I need to buy cheap GC extension cords for my bongos, too ... if I could make every single electronic component in my life wireless, I could die a happy man.

The only "gimmicky" controllers I've ever remotely given a second glance to are those Air-Flow ones that circulate cool air through the handles. I'm a chronic Palm Sweater.
    I love the analog sticks on the Air-Flow. The buttons are kind of mushy, however.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I recommend the Logitech as well. It's so good, in fact, I find it better than the PS3 controller.

The only two things the PS3 controller has over it are the L2/R2 trigger buttons and motion-tilting. The Logitech has rumble, the buttons are nicer (in my opinion), the analog sticks are just as good if not superior, and the weight is perfect. The PS3 and PS2 controllers are just too light to me.

If that, and the rest of this topic, doesn't sell it.. I don't know what will.

It made me want to play games I'd already beaten because using it was so much fun - I know that sounds ridiculous..

Black Ice on
  • Options
    -poe--poe- Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Went ahead and bought the Nerf controller for PS2, for the novelty, but also because the aforementioned syncing issue with Gameshark controllers is a bit more regular than initially thought (unless you unplug a receiver to set up one of them first), so I'll try two different controllers for a bit and see how that works. Pleasantly surprised by the Nerf, though. Very responsive. The sticks feel a bit loose compared to the Dual Shock, and the grips of the controller feel a bit odd, due to the combination of the material and added length. Shoulder buttons, besides being closer, as said in the IGN review, are also the same sizes between the L1/R1 and L2/R2 button. Minor to me, but some people prefer the different sized shoulder buttons.

My only complaint is the battery compartment requires a screwdriver to open, as opposed to the "clips" I've seen everywhere else. No functional difference, but for convenience's sake, I would have preferred a little more hard plastic in place of foam for the sake of quicker battery replacement.

-poe- on