As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free MMO Überlist

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So F2P Dofus is basically a demo for the full game. It's not bad, and you can level up a fair bit, but all of the higher level content is blocked out, from crafting to class skills and levelling, which really limits your pvp (which is most of the end-game).

Dofus 2.0 is just an engine overhaul.

The game itself isn't bad. There are plenty of classes to choose from and they all play differently. You can solo most things except bosses in dungeons. There's no Engrish; in fact the translations from French are very good and full of pop-culture references (there are a lot of barely disguised celebrity names), some of the item descriptions even approach wit. The NPC dialogue is good as well, though not always clear and tedious if all you want to do is get the quest. Items are all over the place and most come in sets, so if you're a collector you'll have lots to do. Proper min/maxing is required to get far, but the site does a decent job of pointing out builds and you should be able to see obvious skill paths. Information is everywhere and put into proper numbers so you're never unsure what something will do before you use it.

Since all fights are instanced lag isn't too much of an issue there. Outside of fights, though, things can get chunky with a lot of people running through the screens.

Quests are decent enough. Collection quests and bounty quests are there, a few fetch quests, but there are more interesting and interactive ones, some with proper dialogue scenes. Bosses are mostly in dungeons which require keys (from quests or monster drops, though you can usually find a player shop selling them nearby). They consist of running monster gauntlets; just a series of rooms with progressively harder monster packs until you get to the boss pack. You can't skip them.

There are a few neat gimmicks, like the battle quests: every fight you get into will give you one or more alternate objectives -- along the line of the Judge rulings in FFTA -- that you can try to complete for extra loot and XP. The bonuses are in line with the difficulty of the challenge, and they're not required. Examples are killing enemies in a certain order, only using spells, never moving, always moving, killing 2 enemies in a single turn, etc. In parties they can get much more complicated: e.g. letting a certain character or gender deliver all of the finishing blows. It gives you a little something extra to do when you're grinding.

Bottom line is that it's a nice and accessible MMOSRPG, but you'll have to subscribe if you want to get anything out of it.

Next I'm going to give Mabinogi a shot.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is Wakfu out yet? Though I guess the better question is, does it differ from Dofus period.

Glal on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Is Wakfu out yet? Though I guess the better question is, does it differ from Dofus period.
    according to their faq: "No official release date for Wakfu has been given yet."

Aldo on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, it's still only available in French for Euros. I could see if it works for me, but my French wasn't even good enough to get me through the Dofus Arena tutorials, so I don't think it'd help much.

Don't know why these games think I'm French all the time. :X

Is it better? Graphics look better, and the skills are different. The player-run gameworld seems a little more player-run than in Dofus. I don't know, I just want to try it.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited November 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Yeah, it's still only available in French for Euros. I could see if it works for me, but my French wasn't even good enough to get me through the Dofus Arena tutorials, so I don't think it'd help much.

Don't know why these games think I'm French all the time. :X

Is it better? Graphics look better, and the skills are different. The player-run gameworld seems a little more player-run than in Dofus. I don't know, I just want to try it.
    You're from Canada, I don't think the assumption that you know some French is that wild. :P

Aldo on
  • ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is there an NDA on Allods? I'm not entriely sure, if you catch my drift...

ben_bot on
    PSN: ben_bot
    edited November 2009
    This Mabinogi game is confusing!

I think I've got a handle on things finally. The combat is pretty neat. You can't sleep through it and if you pay attention you can beat mobs way above your level.

Page- on
    stream
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No NDA on Allods, ben_bot. Even Massively has done a video feature on it, and the official game forums are public.

sidhaethe on
  • guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just got an invite to some new MMO from Aeria called Grand Fantasia. Anyone know anything about this?

gurusloth on
    edited November 2009
    gurusloth wrote: »
    Just got an invite to some new MMO from Aeria called Grand Fantasia. Anyone know anything about this?
    No. Looks generic Korean grind MMO-tastic.

Aldo on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    gurusloth wrote: »
    No. Looks generic Korean grind MMO-tastic.

It looks like a clone of ROSE Online.

MKR on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just popped in here to look for a free game to try out for a bit and holy crap, gotta give props to Aldo for the extensive work he's done in compiling this list. :^:

Henroid on
  • ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay so I'm in the Allods 'closed beta'

Played a couple characters to level 5 to test out the classes.

Mage - Interesting 'overload' mechanic that prevents someone from spamming the same spell.
    Scout - Lots of buttons to push with this class. I like the mix of ranged and melee skills
    Warrior - Pretty generic at the early levels. Need to put more time into this one.

Overall the combat is really really slow. Like as much as 40 seconds to kill a mob by myself at level 5ish. Word on the forums is that they slowed the combat and damage dealing down so they could analyze combat bugs. I'll reserve judgement till I see if they really do change it.

I'll be playing it more on and off this week.

ben_bot on
    PSN: ben_bot
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I, too, have been playing a bit of Allods. I've gone through three classes myself and I have to say that Warden is by far my favorite.

Scout - There is a mechanic to add effects to the next x shots. It's pretty cool.

Psionic - Everyone but me loves them. You can link yourself to the enemy and then some of your spells have added effect. To me it was just casting the damage spell a lot until something died.

Warden - I was going to try all the classes and probably will but if I play this into the future I'm pretty sure this will be my class. I fell in love with him from the start. It's a melee pet class with instant cast damage/buffs/defuff/healing spells. What's not to like?

Combat does take forever.

Gibberlings are awesome. However; their camera likes to zip around as they go up and down hills and if you're in hilly areas a lot it can get annoying.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Combat takes forever right now because they upped the mob HP for the beta.

Even so, once you hit about level 8 or so with any damage dealing class it should only take a few seconds to down a normal mob.

Also, the first closed beta test is done for now, 2nd phase starts on Dec. 1st. All the characters in the first test will remain for all of the consecutive closed beta tests. If you were able to access the first test you'll be able to participate in the 2nd one.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You guys dont have Battle Forge listed? I've been playing it, and i managed to pick up 2 3000 point cards for their cash shop for $4 and that slike a $60 value in points or something, so im lucky. But the game is actually kinda fun, especially if you enjoy card games and RTS's. Its unique. The co-op is especially fun.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited November 2009
    Still unable to form a proper opinion on Mabinogi. There's just so much going on in the game and I really should consult internet sources to work a few things out.

General impressions, though. Pros: Very good quest system, engaging combat. Cons: Unintuitive interface that won't save my settings, no pathfinding.

Page- on
    stream
    edited November 2009
    You guys dont have Battle Forge listed? I've been playing it, and i managed to pick up 2 3000 point cards for their cash shop for $4 and that slike a $60 value in points or something, so im lucky. But the game is actually kinda fun, especially if you enjoy card games and RTS's. Its unique. The co-op is especially fun.
    Thanks I'll add it. I didn't know they had a F2P component.

Aldo on
    edited November 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Combat takes forever right now because they upped the mob HP for the beta.

Even so, once you hit about level 8 or so with any damage dealing class it should only take a few seconds to down a normal mob.

Also, the first closed beta test is done for now, 2nd phase starts on Dec. 1st. All the characters in the first test will remain for all of the consecutive closed beta tests. If you were able to access the first test you'll be able to participate in the 2nd one.

The slow combat really didn't bother me too much. I didn't even really notice it on my Warden and the Paladin I made right as they shut down the servers was the only one I actually had any issues with time to kill.

Seidkona on
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    edited November 2009
    This weekend I am trying out a game called Red Cliff. I believe it's still in OBT and they're in the process of rolling out features (such as: you don't choose a class in character creation, you choose a weapon which determines your fighting style and stats, and not all weapons are yet available). It's based on - you guessed it - Chinese mythology and history, so you already kind of know the graphics style and the gist of gameplay.

sidhaethe on
    edited November 2009
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    This weekend I am trying out a game called Red Cliff. I believe it's still in OBT and they're in the process of rolling out features (such as: you don't choose a class in character creation, you choose a weapon which determines your fighting style and stats, and not all weapons are yet available). It's based on - you guessed it - Chinese mythology and history, so you already kind of know the graphics style and the gist of gameplay.
    The artwork on their site looks a lot like that of some other games I've played. I couldnt'find any screenshots on their site, but what's the chances it's a rerelease of some other game I've already got listed?

Aldo on
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The artwork on their site looks a lot like that of some other games I've played. I couldnt'find any screenshots on their site, but what's the chances it's a rerelease of some other game I've already got listed?

Screen shots are on the main page. To be fair, it's always possible they threw them up there within the last 33 minutes.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Those chances are extremely high

It seems to be that its an mmo based on a movie, and thats all I got so its probably just extremely generic.
    The weapons = class thing seemed to be from a couple other games but the one I'm thinking of I can't remember the name of it.

Wan fu online or something like that

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited November 2009
    oops, nope just me being a dork. It looks a lot like those other Asian grind mmos, but I don't think it is a rerelease.

I'd list it under promising titles, but it just does not look promising at all.

Aldo on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Im so not interested in another Chinese Mythology freebie MMO.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited November 2009
    Im so not interested in another Chinese Mythology freebie MMO.
    Same here. Thankfully there are many other games to play.

*e: It has gotten to the point that most of my entries on the list are just the same text over and over. It seems like these developers decided that their game needed nothing interesting, because it's f2p anyway. <_<

Aldo on
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ice cold Aldo

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited November 2009
    Ach, I just need something to do until Allods goes to OBT and releases! :)

sidhaethe on
    edited November 2009
    Ach, I just need something to do until Allods goes to OBT and releases! :)

I feel the same. I'm cycling through games and free trials like there is no tomorrow. It figures they'd close doe the beta for one of the few weekends out of the year that I have copious amounts of free time.

Seidkona on
  • guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Becoming wrote: »

I got a key for this, but my download was corrupted, and I have to do it again. Anyone else have this problem?

gurusloth on
    edited November 2009
    Yes, many people have had this issue. I got this tip from the official forums: rename your Launcher.exe file to something like LauncherO.exe and run it - it'll update/patch and create a new Launcher.exe. You may have to keep renaming and running LauncherO.exe through multiple patches, but when it's all patched up, you should be able to run the new Launcher.exe and voila! problem solved.

sidhaethe on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    So what server/side is everyone doing for allods?

Thinking either going mage or psionicist. Leaning towards empire psionicist. The risen effect looks better, but I like the look of the xad better.

Morkath on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In my depression from unemployment, I turned to Ragnarok Online for my MMO fix while paying nothing. But it's been fairly educational.

I haven't played the game in YEARS upon years. But it's changed a fair amount. Aside from the actual game world being bigger and Morroc having blown up (taking some of the neighboring maps with it) the game has been a bit more refined. First, actual quests have been implemented. I'm not sure if they're rewarding, exactly, since the item base in the game is still fairly small (most of the prized items being cards). But there are repeatable quests where you gain a fair amount of experience for killing a bunch of a type of enemy. It's actually sped up leveling a lot, even on the free server where experience gains are gimped (I've got two characters almost level 50 with like 6 hours put into each total - 6 hours back in the day mean level 20).

They also changed up the training grounds. Talking to NPCs there to get lessons (you can speed through this pressing enter quickly) rewards experience in huge chunks. You even get experience dying (once) in the combat training. So, basically you start out at base level 5 and job level 6. And you have 400 potions in your inventory. You can waltz into the highest difficulty training area and fight Spores, chuggin' on potions, and be ready to job change in about 10 minutes.

Third major change since I last played is training quests for different classes. After you change to a job you talk to an NPC nearby and they ask you to do things like learn certain skills (which for the most part are skills you're gonna get anyway) or run around doing inane bullshit. But it's shit that awards experience. Some of the NPCs award experience willy-nilly, like the thief trainer; you can walk away from that person after becoming a thief as a b.level 16 and j.level 10 thief, all from just fuckin' talking to him.

The transcendance thing I heard about years ago is in iRO, and now I know what the benefits area; After you hit base level 99 you can restart your character, but have a 25% increase to HP and SP. Plus, when you reach your 2nd job class (as in, when you go from swordsman to knight) again your job cap goes from 50 to 70. And you'll have access to new abilities. The experience gains even after the free-server gimp make that a not crazy thing to achieve.

There's new classes aside from the Super Novice. There's ninjas, taekwon kid (which later becomes a Soul Linker or taekwon master), and Gunslingers. I don't know shit about Ninjas aside from them using throwing weapons and magic. The tae-kwon guys use kicks to attack and enter stances by chance on auto attacks, and from those stances use abilities. The Soul Linker is a party-support class, applying buffs to each class (sadly each being a separate skill) for a period of time that unlocks new abilities to those classes or provides other crazy benefits. Right now I'm playing a Gunslinger which is pretty sweet. Their hometown Einbroch is a pain in the ass to get to, and it's the only place to go to get ammunition and new guns. But the class is pretty nifty. It's not too different from an archer, but you will eventually pick weapons to specialize in for their skills. The weapon classes are pistols, rifles, shotguns, grenade launchers, and miniguns. Pistols fire fast but are weak, rifles are accurate and strong but slow, shotguns are stronger and do AoE damage but are slow, grenade launchers are AoE I think, and miniguns are souped up pistols sorta.

I think the teleport service is locked out on the free server mostly, since you can only warp to Prontera (central city) from cities that have long since been in the game. Prontera can warp to any of those. As for Juno and Einbroch, there's an airship system in place now for those.

As someone who played the game long ago, I also have memories of the game in terms of where monsters were or weren't, and a lot of that shit has changed. Peco Pecos, the big-ass desert birds, are only on one map now sadly (I liked them for some reason). My brief time outside Einbroch before dying to some horrible flower exposed me to Metalings, which are engineered Porings I guess? I've always liked the sprites in this game, I'm a sucker for 'em.

Edit - tl;dr, THIS IS A CRY FOR HELP D:

Henroid on
    edited December 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    So what server/side is everyone doing for allods?

Thinking either going mage or psionicist. Leaning towards empire psionicist. The risen effect looks better, but I like the look of the xad better.

I will roll either side, I've mostly been League but I'm down with trying out the Empire side.

Seidkona on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Aside from the actual game world being bigger and Morroc having blown up...
    Good riddance.

Glal on
    edited December 2009
    Good riddance.

Am I the only person who liked Morroc?

Henroid on
    edited December 2009
    Good riddance.

Yes.

But rogues still get dropped there. I really hated that because I tried to walk to Prontera but was greeted by high level mobs.

Aldo on
    edited December 2009
    Good riddance.

Yes.

But rogues still get dropped there. I really hated that because I tried to walk to Prontera but was greeted by high level mobs.

It's not entirely hard to walk to Prontera. Exit Morroc on the east side and you'll be dumped in that map that replaces the 10 or so they removed for this whole "oh noes Satan morroc" thing. The immediate threat is any wandering Scorpions. But they're slow. I also managed to run into some like, electrical motherfucker who was fast and hit for like 10k damage but I'm not sure if he's regularly there.

Henroid on
  • Gustavo MGustavo M Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If any of you Is still interested on checking out Allods, I got a key that I haven't used yet (sorta participated on every MMO giveaway keys and I got a few.).

E9299674-C3C2-4DFD-95D0-BEF7DB544B88

(register an account @ http://en.gpotato.eu/Account/AccReg.aspx and use It etc)

Oh and Allods doesn't seem to be satisfying for me. The graphics looks eye-candy, all right, but the cash shop quite unmotivates everyone to move forward.

It's about this item:

ifdehk.jpg

In short, It boosts your stats with 30 more points. (It's the same that you gain 30 levels instantly, since you get 1 stat point per level, If you catch my drift.) Some people said that you can make one yourself or even adquire It with ingame currency, but that doesn't seem to be "fun" to me. Can you imagine in the future, when the dev's decides to spread ingredients in the cash shop etc to spread rich kiddies with those stat buff'n items? :(

Some people may not care, but yeah. That's my 2$.

Oh and there's a F2P that will be available via g-potato, called "Aika Online". Seems to be your daily grindfest korean game, but the 1000 x 1000 nation vs nation role makes me wet.

Incase If any of you doesn't know/never heard of It, here is a vid that shows a RvR with 50 x 50 (or 100, I failed to count how much exactly):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cp6lCEX_ZPk&hl=pt_BR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cp6lCEX_ZPk&hl=pt_BR&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Seems to be very promising. Even If the cash shop lets It gay, throwing the rich kiddies way behind and pewpew'ing from afar Is still a win.

For more info check: http://aika.gpotato.com/

It's still in CBT anyways.

Gustavo M on
This discussion has been closed.