As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is iTunes a Piece of Crap or is it Me?

2»

• Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JoahW wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:
    as far as I'm concerned every version of itunes, across the board since its launch, has sucked.
    Agree'd.

Anapod Explorer is a much better program overall.

have you figured out how to get podcasts onto your pod with anapod explorer? I dumped like 2 gigs worth of podcasts on my machine with this program and now i can't find the, bbut they're still taking up space.

Otherwise, yeah, anapod explorer is a fantastic program.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    iTunes is, IMO, a horrifically bloated piece of software whose only purpose is to let you use an overly expensive and badly designed piece of hardware.

I suffered through the slowness of iTunes for a year until my iPod decided to shit its own guts out, and then I thankfully deleted it, got an iRiver and switched to Linux.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like it for what it is, a decent way to organize my music and stick stuff on my ipod. The fact that it eats memory like candy (compared to Winamp or foobar) and lacks global hotkeys makes it a poor music player, though.

Fats on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would definitely agree that iTunes is a hog of a program, but other than that, I haven't had the problems others have described.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I upgraded to the newest version of iTunes, and now I get frequent skipping :(

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't have any problems with the current release (7.0.2 IIRC).

Some of the past releases have been pretty fucking glitchy, but the current one gives me no trouble whatsoever. I'd say uninstall both iTunes and QuickTime completely, reboot, download a fresh copy and re-install.

And if you really don't care for iTunes, MediaMonkey provides greater functionality and more features, and will even let you pull songs off the iPod onto your PC. I can't stand the interface though, and I have no use for most of the extra stuff it can do.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I finally updated iTunes again a while ago, but for some reason it doesn't display the contents of my iPod anymore when it's not plugged in. Now every time I have to wait a while whenever I change stuff on my iPod. Does anyone know how to fix this? It's really annoying.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    PedroTheBearPedroTheBear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fats wrote:
    I like it for what it is, a decent way to organize my music and stick stuff on my ipod. The fact that it eats memory like candy (compared to Winamp or foobar) and lacks global hotkeys makes it a poor music player, though.
    I agree with all you've said and add that I find it annoying that it doesn't display the song being played when you hover over it on the taskbar.

PedroTheBear on
  • Options
    catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't understand all the iTunes hate...I've been using iTunes for years and have never had a problem.

This is both on my Mac and PC. iTunes has always been very quick and snappy and does a great job of sorting my albums and importing.

Always have it running while playing WoW and doesn't affect my performance.

1gb of memory by the way.

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
  • Options
    ProxyManProxyMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My itunes used to always be slow as fuck, but then, because the internets suggested so, I set the affinity of the itunes.exe process in the task window to only use the first core in the processor, CPU 0 (I have a dual-core processor).

It has worked fine since this, although I do have to use a little executable to do this everytime automagically when I click the ituens shortcut in my quick launch bar, the row of icons which is the closest my poor ass is going to get to the mac's beautiful line of glossy, shiny icons.

ProxyMan on
    i put on my robe and wizard hat
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    iTunes is nice, and I like it. But it just uses up too much memory for my liking.

I do use it for my iPod, but when it comes to general music playback on my laptop I use Foobar with a iTunes-like interface.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    catalyst wrote:
    I don't understand all the iTunes hate...I've been using iTunes for years and have never had a problem.

This is both on my Mac and PC. iTunes has always been very quick and snappy and does a great job of sorting my albums and importing.

Always have it running while playing WoW and doesn't affect my performance.

1gb of memory by the way.

Although I just started using iTunes (wooo new Xmas Nano!), I'm really enjoying it. Winamp has caused me no end of headaches for a while now, and I'm finding iTunes considerably superior, not to mention that the syncing with the iPod is pretty essential for me. Yes, I'm lazy.

Anyway, I also have a gig of memory and I'm not finding any skipping or memory clogging. Your collective mileage may vary, of course, but I'm digging it thus far.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick