As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Build Thread: OP temporarily with up to date sample builds!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161287

Decent deal?

Think I can run Diablo 3 with that when it comes out?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Decent deal?

I certainly hope so, I bought that same card from NewEgg on Monday. Since then I've seen it go out of stock but I guess it keeps fluctuating from those two states.

I got it as an efficient card to go in my Dell tower, which only has a 350W PSU.

Going along with a 2.4Ghz Quad-Core (Intel C2Q Q6600), 4GB DDR2 RAM, and 500GB HDD with Win 7. I'm hoping this lasts me for a little while, I would like to get everything maxed with L4D2. I'll be playing on a monitor at 1280x1024 so with that I assume I'll be able to play most things max currently, and it will last through some of the must-have PC games I can't (or don't want to) get on the 360/PS3.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'm hoping so too. I bought this to run it since my stock power supply is like 250.

I hate mail in rebates though, oh well.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Decent deal?

That's not a bad card, I put one in my sister's PC. If you can wait a month or two the budget 5000 series cards will come out. They use less power and will be DX11 capable.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Newegg is getting slammed, and it is not even Thanksgiving yet, much less Black Friday.

grrarg on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    grrarg wrote: »
    Newegg is getting slammed, and it is not even Thanksgiving yet, much less Black Friday.

I know, I went ahead and just bought the stuff because I was worried it would disappear in seconds.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    grrarg wrote: »

I know, I went ahead and just bought the stuff because I was worried it would disappear in seconds.

It was hellish. I was trying to finish up a list of parts for my i7 build. No pages would load until I turned on Opera turbo, even then there was a delay. I was trying to compare prices for some parts between Newegg & Amazon. Also the fact that Amazon has a few parts/brands the newegg doesn't carry.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What the hell? Did memory prices double when I wasn't looking?

The memory modules I got in June for $47 are now $94, and everything comparable is priced accordingly as well.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Talith wrote: »
    What the hell? Did memory prices double when I wasn't looking?

The memory modules I got in June for $47 are now $94, and everything comparable is priced accordingly as well.

DDR2?

That's what happens when RAM starts becoming obsolete. It doesn't get cheaper, it goes up.

If it's DDR3, I'd say that RAM prices DO fluctuate, but that's quite a bit.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ha. I came here after ordering a monitor to make sure it wasn't crap.

I see at least...three?...posts of people saying they're buying the same damn one (it's the ASUS that's on sale right now, the 24" 2ms LCD with HDMI).

I almost spent the extra $75 to get the Samsung that I have at work (because I know I love that thing...and it was $400 when I chose it) but I figured the ASUS would be more than servicable.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Ha. I came here after ordering a monitor to make sure it wasn't crap.

I see at least...three?...posts of people saying they're buying the same damn one (it's the ASUS that's on sale right now, the 24" 2ms LCD with HDMI).

I almost spent the extra $75 to get the Samsung that I have at work (because I know I love that thing...and it was $400 when I chose it) but I figured the ASUS would be more than servicable.

I'm going to need a link to this monitor deal.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    This be the one...

$50 off and free shipping makes this a retardedly good deal, from what I can tell.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was looking at that Asus as well, then they put this one up and I'm torn.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026

28 inches 3 ms 1920x1200... for 260 with free shipping.

Advent on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I was actually coming in to ask about those exact monitors.

Reading about the 28", apparently a major problem is "light bleeding," which I guess means it's not very crisp? I'm not sure how bad it is, but pretty much all the 1, 2, and 3 star reviews list that as the main con.

Also, if my video card has an HDMI port, why not just go for an HDMI TV? I mean, at this point, what are the differences?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Reading about the 28", apparently a major problem is "light bleeding," which I guess means it's not very crisp? I'm not sure how bad it is, but pretty much all the 1, 2, and 3 star reviews list that as the main con.

Also, if my video card has an HDMI port, why not just go for an HDMI TV? I mean, at this point, what are the differences?

Well you just have to make sure it is 1080p and that you can turn off whatever processing might give you higher latency than you really want.

The main thing is that sum 30" 1080p TVs are not exactly standard, assuming you want to sit at a normal distance from the screen.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting that 28" monitor and this keyboard.

I'm sort of worried that 28" is actually too big, though. With my new desk my monitor sits a bit further back than my old setup so I guess I'd get used to it and it would work well enough.

Hmmmmm.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Well you just have to make sure it is 1080p and that you can turn off whatever processing might give you higher latency than you really want.

The main thing is that sum 30" 1080p TVs are not exactly standard, assuming you want to sit at a normal distance from the screen.

I'm sort of worried that 28" is actually too big, though. With my new desk my monitor sits a bit further back than my old setup so I guess I'd get used to it and it would work well enough.

Hmmmmm.

Yeah, I looked at the 28" too but I decided that the $60 just wasn't worth it, and that 28" probably would be too big for me. Like I said, I use a 24" at work and it's probably about as big as I would reasonably use...I'd prefer 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080, but again not worth $60...I'm on a budget right now.

As for TV versus monitor, as mentioned TVs will often do some postprocessing you don't want, and they'll generally cost more than monitors (because you're usually paying for a tuner you probably won't use, more inputs than you need, and speakers you won't use).

The usual recommendation is actually the opposite; that often you can get away with purchasing a larger monitor (like that 28") instead of a TV if your room configuration works with it. If you're using a stereo for sound, and won't use the tuner, and only need like one or two inputs (if you're using an HDMI switcher for instance), a monitor will be cheaper than a similarly sized TV.

At least for one with similar picture quality...I'll take an Asus monitor over, say, a Westinghouse TV any day of the week.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Hmmmmm.

I don't know, so many reviews are like, "It is not for high resolution gaming. The worst problem is backlight bleeding."

Even a 4 star review, "Blacks could stand to be darker. Theres a very noticeable bleed on edges on black screens, not noticeable when colored."

I almost bought it but uuggghhh, it just worries me.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    B.D.V.B.D.V. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What are peoples opinions on sound cards compared to on-board sound? I've always used a sound card but am wondering if the on board sound has caught up to the times and can compete.

B.D.V. on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I guess that this keyboard is a better deal than that saitek.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Modern onboard sound is good enough for most people. About the only reason to get a soundcard is if you need more inputs/outputs to do audio work.

Hmmmmm.

I don't know, so many reviews are like, "It is not for high resolution gaming. The worst problem is backlight bleeding."

Even a 4 star review, "Blacks could stand to be darker. Theres a very noticeable bleed on edges on black screens, not noticeable when colored."

I almost bought it but uuggghhh, it just worries me.

That 28" is 16:10 1920x1200. Backlight bleed might be an issue watching 16:9 media. It will be noticable along the letterbox bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

grrarg on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just do a google image search of backlight bleed to see what it is and what it looks like.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    OllibolliOllibolli Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I absolutely hate backlight bleed, but it's only noticeable if you display a very dark picture on the screen (like watching video with black bars). It will also affect the color uniformity of the display, which is important if you are working with images for print and need good color accuracy. But if you were, you wouldn't use a TN panel anyway, so that shouldn't be a big issue.

Ollibolli on
  • Options
    AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I guess that this keyboard is a better deal than that saitek.

Most definitely. Everything I've heard about the G15s has been good. Although many people i know seem to like the old model better. I've run through two of the eclipse keyboards in under a year. : \ Switched to a Razer Lycosa, which I like quite a bit.

Advent on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So is this motherboard still pretty much the one to go with? I'm going for an all-out e-peen build that will smoke anything I throw at it, so I'm willing to drop 200-300 dollars on a mobo if there's a great one available that falls within that price range. I'm going to go with a Crossfire setup eventually, and also going with the 2.66ghz Core i7 that was linked in the "e-peen build" part of the OP. Thanks for any advice.

Edit: Also, which version of Windows 7 would you guys go with? I'm not doing anything business-oriented. Just probably a lot of gaming, music, interwebs, and graphic design. Your basic nerd's e-penis rig.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    So is this motherboard still pretty much the one to go with? I'm going for an all-out e-peen build that will smoke anything I throw at it, so I'm willing to drop 200-300 dollars on a mobo if there's a great one available that falls within that price range. I'm going to go with a Crossfire setup eventually, and also going with the 2.66ghz Core i7 that was linked in the "e-peen build" part of the OP. Thanks for any advice.

Edit: Also, which version of Windows 7 would you guys go with? I'm not doing anything business-oriented. Just probably a lot of gaming, music, interwebs, and graphic design. Your basic nerd's e-penis rig.

The E-Peen build is obsolete. If you are using it for gaming a i5 750 is probably a better bet than the i7 more games will be able to use turbo boost than hyperthreading. The only advantage with a X58 build would be you could find a x16,x16 PCI-E setup.

Of course the real E-Peen way would be to wait for the hydra chip boards to either launch or fail to launch. They might give better performance than crossfire or SLI. Since you might have to wait to get DX11 card anyway there should be no rush :).

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What makes it obsolete? Is it the fact that there's better components available all-around right now, or the idea that we might be getting better components sometime in the next 6 months? Because I've gotta be honest, I've no intentions of tolerating this busted-ass old rig for that much longer. The upgrade has to happen soon. I figured LGA1366 is a must because I guess Intel's next CPU is using that socket, but beyond that you've confused me.

If you would be so kind, how about suggesting a build (Windows 7 and monitor included) for a budget of $2k?

Triple B on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just a quick look at dell's website shows they do plan to charge a lot for memory upgrades (and every memory configuration uses 3 or 4 sticks so upgrading will not be efficient. Fuckers.), and also for whatever graphics card you want.

Especially given the fact you have W7 already I think building is the way to go. I'll probably edit in a build later.

i5 750 + 4 gigs ram
    motherboard + 4 more gigs ram
    500W PSU + 60 gig SSD
    1 TB HD + cable
    ATI 5770
    Antec 300 case
    DVD drive
    Total $1085 after rebate.
    so pulled the trigger on this. actually is going to be cheaper than this. came out to be 1041 before mail in rebates. though i went with a smaller SSD that was on th eblack friday deal. now i just need to not blow it up when they all come in

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What makes it obsolete? Is it the fact that there's better components available all-around right now, or the idea that we might be getting better components sometime in the next 6 months? Because I've gotta be honest, I've no intentions of tolerating this busted-ass old rig for that much longer. The upgrade has to happen soon. I figured LGA1366 is a must because I guess Intel's next CPU is using that socket, but beyond that you've confused me.

If you would be so kind, how about suggesting a build (Windows 7 and monitor included) for a budget of $2k?

Well the main problem is that AMD's 58XX chips are out but unavailable, so I haven't bothered to put together new builds.

The question about i5 vs i7 has to do with the fact that most games are not going to be limited by whatever CPU. Furthermore, the i5 actually does better than the i7 920 on applications (including most games) that don't use more than 1 or 2 cores.

As far as we know the next chips on the 1366 are going to be very expensive, high end, chips. I doubt there will a compelling case for upgrading either the i7 920 or the it 750 for gaming for a long time.

Finally, xfire and SLI have some drawbacks that might be eliminated by some new tech called Hydra. In theory it would allow combining CPUs across brands or generations and shouldn't have the "micro stutter" that comes from the way Xfire/SLI have each GPU working on a different frame. But Nvidia seems to be moving to stop it from working with their GPUs and there haven't been truly independent tests done yet so it might well not work out.

Anyway, there isn't anything wrong with getting that i7, if you really want to get it. It just might not give you much better gaming performance for the money you'll spend.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Well the main problem is that AMD's 58XX chips are out but unavailable, so I haven't bothered to put together new builds.

The question about i5 vs i7 has to do with the fact that most games are not going to be limited by whatever CPU. Furthermore, the i5 actually does better than the i7 920 on applications (including most games) that don't use more than 1 or 2 cores.

As far as we know the next chips on the 1366 are going to be very expensive, high end, chips. I doubt there will a compelling case for upgrading either the i7 920 or the it 750 for gaming for a long time.

Finally, xfire and SLI have some drawbacks that might be eliminated by some new tech called Hydra. In theory it would allow combining CPUs across brands or generations and shouldn't have the "micro stutter" that comes from the way Xfire/SLI have each GPU working on a different frame. But Nvidia seems to be moving to stop it from working with their GPUs and there haven't been truly independent tests done yet so it might well not work out.

Anyway, there isn't anything wrong with getting that i7, if you really want to get it. It just might not give you much better gaming performance for the money you'll spend.

I hear you. Lots of good information there. Thanks a lot, mang. :D

Thing is, it *will* give me a massive (fucking massive) boost over the rig I'm running now, and since I basically want the best of the best all-around, the i7 will probably be my choice. I can wait until the 58xx's are in stock, but I can't wait much longer than that. D:

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright I just threw this little rig together. Total cost ~ 700. I already have the PSU/peripherals/monitor

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - $35 A/R

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $89.99

XFX HD-577A-ZHFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail - $169.99

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
    and
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Retail - $264.98

MSI P55-CD53 LGA 1156 i5 i7 P55 Motherboard - $79.99

I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet.. Everything but the Mobo is from newegg and there was a 10% cash back on newegg that expired 3 hours previously... Still deciding if I want to purchase this without the 50-60 odd dollars I woulda saved with the cash back.

Anyone criticisms on this set up? Mulling over if I want to make the purchase right now...

B.D.V. on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Seagate hard drives aren't too well looked upon at the moment. I would opt for a Western Digital.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I've heard that as well, but out of the dozens of HD's I've had over time only a maxtor and a western digital have ever crapped out on me. The seagates have always lasted the long haul. One thing I have found with harddrives is that it always seems to be a YMMV.

Noted though, thanks for the input. :)

B.D.V. on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050374/seagate-barracudas-7200-11-failing

That's the reason why, it seems. That article is from January '09 and it says the new drives being manufactured don't have the problem, so one would hope drives being sold now would be good, but the warning nonetheless.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Interesting article, thanks

B.D.V. on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I too had a Maxtor shit the bed on me a little while back. But I'm currently running (and have been for about five years) a Seagate slaved under a WD, and they're both going strong. *shrug*

Triple B on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    FightTest wrote: »
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050374/seagate-barracudas-7200-11-failing

That's the reason why, it seems. That article is from January '09 and it says the new drives being manufactured don't have the problem, so one would hope drives being sold now would be good, but the warning nonetheless.

It was quite blown out of proportion. The failure could only happen in a very small set of circumstances and there was a firmware update that fixed the problem almost immediately. The 320 to the 1GB drives have some kind of counter (memory is hazy on this part) and if it resets at the exact time the hdd loses power, it corrupts the firmware and makes it unbootable. There is a cheap workaround as well if you ended up with a failed drive that didn't require data recovery services at all. You just needed a few dollars worth of cables, a converter for usb, and the right software to edit the firmware.

stigweard on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm guessing this is the best place to post this.

I want to build a cheap HTPC.

I want something that is capable of playing video files, watching hulu and netflix and running Zune as well as running utorrent in the background at all times. I also want it to be as quiet as possible. I can't stand a loud computer. I want all of this for less than $400 (cheaper = better). I'll be hooking it up to my samsung LCD TV via VGA.

I need:
    Case (preferably as small as possible while still being capable of holding two HDDs and an optical drive in case I want one later on)
    PSU
    Mobo
    Processor
    RAM
    Video Card
    HDD (1TB is good)

I know how to put it all together, I just haven't been in the market for components in forever so I don't know what's good anymore.

Any suggestions?

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    saltiness wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is the best place to post this.

I want to build a cheap HTPC.

I want something that is capable of playing video files, watching hulu and netflix and running Zune as well as running utorrent in the background at all times. I also want it to be as quiet as possible. I can't stand a loud computer. I want all of this for less than $400 (cheaper = better). I'll be hooking it up to my samsung LCD TV via VGA.

I need:
    Case (preferably as small as possible while still being capable of holding two HDDs and an optical drive in case I want one later on)
    PSU
    Mobo
    Processor
    RAM
    Video Card
    HDD (1TB is good)

I know how to put it all together, I just haven't been in the market for components in forever so I don't know what's good anymore.

Any suggestions?

Case (has free shipping): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147112
    mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186145
    Video Card & Memory Combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.285747
    CPU & PSU Combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.281815
    HD 1.5TB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148337 <- Black Friday Special, purchase very soon.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    GavinGavin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey guys- I was just over in H&A and my best advice seemed to be to come here, show you guys this computer (see below), and see if you could put together something that would beat it around the same price.

My range is around $5-600, I want a computer that will run Aion really nicely, and I need it to be very capable with various DAWs and other music applications.

Thank you so much guys :)

Here's the computer, apparently this+ a new graphics card is going to be my best bet. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddora1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=desktops_great_deals

I'm okay building one myself, but I've never done it before and don't really know what I'm doing.

Gavin on
  • Options
    GavinGavin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, is this a good website? http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

They seem to have some pretty good deals, and made it easy to put the thing together...

But, again, the don't-know-what-I'm-doing thing makes me nervous.

Gavin on
This discussion has been closed.