As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Build Thread: OP temporarily with up to date sample builds!

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey there guys. I have a bit of a sticky wicket here. I'd like to upgrade to Windows 7 soon and just wipe my entire drive nice and clean. Thing is, my hard drive has only 250gigs of space and recently that has been proving to be limiting. I'd like to step up to a 1TB drive and there are some nice ones off of Newegg for $100 or so. Trouble is, what should I do with my current drive? Should I just chuck it or try and work up some complex raid configuration. I'd really like to just have 1 drive if possible...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    second data drive

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    or just stick it in a box somewhere... a spare/replacement drive can come in handy!

Dedian on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    if you have a 250gig and you buy a 1tb you could:

create a partition on the tb the same size as the 250 and create a striped raid for your system and use the remaining 750 as storage.

you could toss the 250 and put it all on the tb

you could install the tb as a slave drive and put all your media/ancillary stuff on there, and keep system and programs on the 250.

you could use the tb as your system drive and buy a portable hdd enclosure and turn the 250 into portable storage.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    Ok my HD and Windows 7 just came in the mail. If I'm going to install these, can I just shut down my comp, take out my old drive, put in the new drive and then boot from the Windows 7 CD?

Yep.

Thanks. It worked. Running Windows 7 now, it seems super slick

Edit: Although my 640 GB hard drive is only reading as 596 GB, this doesn't seem right

Nevermind, it's a difference in how GB is measured between manufacturers and Windows

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lookin to build a HTPC to live in my living room. So far I have...a ton of options. I'm looking at trying to build it fairly smallish. Using a micro atx board instead of a regular ATX. I'll be trying to reuse my old e6600 core 2 proc with this system as well. Ideally I want to make this thing run with WMC on Win 7 and use a nice low end harmony remote to handle everything.

I want to run a internal tv tuner card on this. Any recommendations on this? All I'm worried about is compatibility with WMC and it be able to handle just a single tuner source.

Not really too big on gaming for this thing, though running some games would be cool, so probably a midrange card with HDMI mounted on it would be fine. I'm thinking Nvidia with a 9600 or 9800 series card, or something from the GT 240 stuff.

This is the case I'm thinking about running with...though I wonder if its too big and expensive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129054

Any thoughts or recommendations on the hardware would be appreciated.

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ok my HD and Windows 7 just came in the mail. If I'm going to install these, can I just shut down my comp, take out my old drive, put in the new drive and then boot from the Windows 7 CD?

Yep.

Edit: Although my 640 GB hard drive is only reading as 596 GB, this doesn't seem right

Nevermind, it's a difference in how GB is measured between manufacturers and Windows

Yes, this is something I'll give Apple credit for; in the latest update (Snow Leopard?) they changed how the OS displays hard disk space and it actually reads what makes sense. IIRC

Michael H on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yep.

Here's a little something I discovered on accident:

Instead of using Alt+Tab, try using Windows Key+Tab.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yep.

My god man! Thats intense! I forgot all about that trick :D

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MeepZero wrote: »

Yep.

My god man! Thats intense! I forgot all about that trick :D

Ya that's pretty cool. But it doesn't look like it's cycling through all my open stuff sometimes

Also this is a long shot but does anyone know how to get the buttons on the Microsoft Windows Media 3000 keyboard to like maximize or draw attention to a window if it's already running instead of opening a new one.

Like if I have firefox open and I hit the internet button I want it to maximize firefox and put it on top not open a new window but if firefox is not running then I want it to open firefox

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    KingofnodKingofnod Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am looking for the most powerful computer I can aquire for $2000. It will be mostly used for gaming. Can anyone give me a good setup? A friend of mine is going to piece it together once we get all the parts.

Kingofnod on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Michael H wrote: »

Yep.

Yes, this is something I'll give Apple credit for; in the latest update (Snow Leopard?) they changed how the OS displays hard disk space and it actually reads what makes sense. IIRC

Measuring a gigabyte as 1000 bytes instead of as 1024 bytes is not something to give anyone credit for, it's not accurate, and it's sneaky and misleading when hdd manufacturers do it, it's stupid for your computer to lie too you about available space on top of that.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kingofnod wrote: »
    I am looking for the most powerful computer I can aquire for $2000. It will be mostly used for gaming. Can anyone give me a good setup? A friend of mine is going to piece it together once we get all the parts.

Are you dead set on hitting $2000? That's a lot for a gaming PC and far past getting good bang for your buck.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, $2000 is more than you really need to spend for a kickass gaming PC. I guess if you're getting a huge monitor it might run you that high, but the bleeding-edge hardware has inflated prices.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I agree. There's a difference between getting powerful components and shameless decadence. The line is somewhere around $1500.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ok need some trouble shooting help.
    i made a computer for my father a bit back.

i3 530
    4GB Ram
    400W power supply
    ASUS p55 motherboard
    antec 200 case
    win 7
    MSE anti virus

OK so he had some weird graphics issue which turned out to be his ctrl key sticking. but a biger problem came up. when he rebooted his computer hoping to fix things (since rebooting fixes everything) he says that during the boot up a CPU overheat warning popped up. it didn't turn off or prompt, it just came up and then continued loading into windows.

1. What is a good monitoring program? does they normally have a way to stress test so to speak?

2. I set it up to use onboard graphics. would putting a cheap seperate card in alleviate that

3. should we just yank out the cpu fan and put in a aftermarket one?

it has been running fine so i don't know if the temps are just on the high end of acceptable

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kingofnod wrote: »

Unless you're set on blowing the whole $2000 I would recommend a Core i7 930 with 6 gigs of memory as a starting point. Drop in an ATI HD 5870 and you have a nicely round out system. I would hold out on SSDs until the end of this year when Intel releases their new ones.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mts wrote: »
    ok need some trouble shooting help.
    i made a computer for my father a bit back.

i3 530
    4GB Ram
    400W power supply
    ASUS p55 motherboard
    antec 200 case
    win 7
    MSE anti virus

OK so he had some weird graphics issue which turned out to be his ctrl key sticking. but a biger problem came up. when he rebooted his computer hoping to fix things (since rebooting fixes everything) he says that during the boot up a CPU overheat warning popped up. it didn't turn off or prompt, it just came up and then continued loading into windows.

1. What is a good monitoring program? does they normally have a way to stress test so to speak?

2. I set it up to use onboard graphics. would putting a cheap seperate card in alleviate that

3. should we just yank out the cpu fan and put in a aftermarket one?

it has been running fine so i don't know if the temps are just on the high end of acceptable

You're using a P55 motherboard and the GPU integrated into the i3? That should be impossible.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So is anyone itching to take over OP duties or should I get to work on a new version?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alecthar wrote: »
    You're using a P55 motherboard and the GPU integrated into the i3? That should be impossible.
    its this one ASUS P7H55-M

i guess i read to fast, H55 not p

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So is anyone itching to take over OP duties or should I get to work on a new version?

I always think "Hey, I should create the OP for one of these threads that I love!"

Then I look at how extensive most OPs are, and I realize I haven't the time nor patience to make a good one.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm not sure I want to do the whole OP, but I think opening up the floor for builds people believe should be included in the next OP would be cool.
    mts wrote: »
    its this one ASUS P7H55-M

i guess i read to fast, H55 not p

SpeedFan displays temp info. Not sure how accurate it is, I don't know a lot about monitoring software like that.

However, see if you can replicate the issue. Reboot the computer and take note of the warning/error if you see it.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, on top of builds any suggestions for improvements would be welcome. I think a lot of it should be rewritten since the CPU and GPU situation has shifted.

In particular I wouldn't mind someone writing a quick paragraph about sound cards and/or computer speakers or a quick rundown on all the LCD technologies.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Don't have much to contribute, but if people could come up with Value, Mid-range Gaming, and Extreme builds like how Sharky Extreme used to have, that would be a kick ass OP.

Akilae on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, on top of builds any suggestions for improvements would be welcome. I think a lot of it should be rewritten since the CPU and GPU situation has shifted.

In particular I wouldn't mind someone writing a quick paragraph about sound cards and/or computer speakers or a quick rundown on all the LCD technologies.

I'll toss together something about LCDs. What should the price points be for builds? Like, Budget build is 750, midrange is 1500, top-end is 2500?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Budget build should be around $500 or less
    Mid-Range (bang for your buck) ~$750
    High-End $1000

$2500 is a ridiculous amount to spend on a rig these days. You're not really getting anything more than you'd get for $1500.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    High-End $1000

$2500 is a ridiculous amount to spend on a rig these days. You're not really getting anything more than you'd get for $1500.

This is about what I aim for +$100 for a copy of Windows.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's like Christmas around here.
    aca65961.jpg

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hnng.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm a little ill that my sales girl sent me Sapphire cards and not the XFX ones I wanted.

I just texted her and complained and she's going to get the XFX. :P

Think I'll keep the Sapphires too and just build 2 SLI setups instead of 2 single-gpu. I mean Crossfire...oops.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Those look like they may be the exact Saphire card I ordered.

Let me know if you get the "big cursor" curse.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    High-End $1000

Shenanigans, sir, I call Shenanigans.

$500 is really $400 (Gogo-gadget Win7), which is only do-able with the barest of the bare. You'd have to run the lowliest AMD dual core you could find, 2GB of (likely DDR2) RAM, and a motherboard that uses cardboard instead of a PCB. It would be difficult to upgrade because of the 350W PSU you'd be using, not to mention the ancient memory standard you'd be rocking.

I submit to you that you would be better off buying a really nice netbook for $500. At least then you'll have integrated wireless.

I don't know that a system that would rock a singleton 5770 can be termed a mid-range system, and I'd have to hold a virgin sacrifice to cram a 5870 into a $1000 budget.

Maybe this is just me, but I feel like a gaming PC running less than a 5770 is barely even a gaming PC. And come on, you can find one for $150. And I feel like the cheaper AMD motherboards are pretty cruddy. I think a solid budget setup (single 5770) could come in at $650. Mid-range (single 5850/crossfire 5770) at $850 to $900. High end...not sure.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    High-End $1000

$500 is really $400 (Gogo-gadget Win7), which is only do-able with the barest of the bare. You'd have to run the lowliest AMD dual core you could find, 2GB of (likely DDR2) RAM, and a motherboard that uses cardboard instead of a PCB. It would be difficult to upgrade because of the 350W PSU you'd be using, not to mention the ancient memory standard you'd be rocking.

I submit to you that you would be better off buying a really nice netbook for $500. At least then you'll have integrated wireless.

I don't know that a system that would rock a singleton 5770 can be termed a mid-range system, and I'd have to hold a virgin sacrifice to cram a 5870 into a $1000 budget.

Maybe this is just me, but I feel like a gaming PC running less than a 5770 is barely even a gaming PC. And come on, you can find one for $150. And I feel like the cheaper AMD motherboards are pretty cruddy. I think a solid budget setup (single 5770) could come in at $650. Mid-range (single 5850/crossfire 5770) at $850 to $900. High end...not sure.

Maybe about 1400-1500 USD for a high end, at least for a minimum price? I just went to Newegg and selected an i7-920 (you can overclock the shit out of these things even on stock cooling), 6GB DDR3, a good SLI/Crossfire motherboard, an ATI HD 5870, 750-850 watt quality PSU, a nice case, and no HDD or case fans. That came out to be around 1400 USD. You could toss another 5870 in and that's an extra 400 USD.

Or is that mid-range? Because that's a pretty powerful system that won't have trouble running anything you throw at it. Getting the i7-970 Xtreme Michael Bay processor or something higher than a single 5870 card seems fairly excessive.

I'm actually buying a pre-built, and surprisingly it comes out to be about the same price as that. The Dell Studio XPS 9000 with an i7-920, 6GB DDR3, ATI 5870, 475W PSU, media card reader and a 640GB HDD came out to be 1359 USD. I'm looking at the Alienware Aurora, too, and it has similar specifications but an 875W PSU instead, Asetek CPU liquid cooling, plus other nice touches (SLI/Crossfire support, unlocked BIOS, nicer and cleaner interior design) for about 1559 USD.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    High-End $1000

OK, I admit that I wasn't counting an OS in those figures. So yeah add $100-$150 to those.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yep, a $500 build is a bare minimum PC, much less a gaming PC.

It's understandable why consoles have gotten so popular.

@Improvolone: Win 7 Home Premium should have you covered for a HTPC.

Or did you mean differences in Win 7 from Vista/XP?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    One day NewEgg sale, including:
    • $5 off the ever popular Antec 300 with Promo Code EMCYRNY32 ($55 w/ free shipping)
    • $5 off (20% woo!) an OEM LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+RW with Promo Code EMCYRNY52 ($20 w/ free shipping)
    • $10 off retail (Sale price? Price drop?) on the i3-530 ($115 w/ free shipping)
    • A $15 NewEgg gift card with the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black ($180 w/ free shipping), which isn't in any of the OP build but seems well regarded as a good processor for the money. Gift card comes even if you get one of the CPU's numerous combos like a 5850, a 5770 or an Antec 902.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Building a mid-range computer, and was curious if I've added any Bad Things (tm). Really trying to keep it under $800, if possible.

I already (possibly, have to work out the legal details) have a copy of Win 7.

It'll be mostly used for gaming - primarily any combination of RTS, RPG and FPS.

Games that I'd like to be able to play with the graphics turned up to 11: Mass Effect 2; Borderlands; Fallout 3; many of the various Half-Life 2 family; The Witcher; very basic future-proofing is also a major consideration.

So: Any things you'd do differently? There is a Combo Deal on the video card for a BioStar mobo, which looks vaguely comparable, but it's lacking the USB 3.0 slots, as well as being a micro-atx.

Tamin on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tax refund is coming which means I can finally do this HTPC thing. Fuck yes.

AVSForum's current thread on the topic lists the following build as the current suggestion:
    * CPU: Core i3 530 2.93GHz LGA1156, $113.
    * CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 風神鍛 (Geminii S) RR-CCH-PBU1-GP, $35.
    * Motherboard: ASRock H55M Pro LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $90. If you want USB 3.0, go with GIGABYTE GA-H57M-USB3 LGA1156 Intel H57 chipset microATX, $120, or ASUS P7H55D-M EVO LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $125.
    * Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 2 x 2GB Kit, $105.
    * Graphics Card (ATI): Sapphire HD 5670 512GB GDDR5, $90. An alternative is HIS H567Q512 Radeon HD 5670 GDDR5 512MB, $95.
    * Graphics Card (NVIDIA): ASUS ENGT240/DI/512MD5/A GeForce GT 240 GDDR5 512MB, $100.
    * HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB SATA 3.0Gbps, $65.
    * PSU: Corsair VX450W CMPSU-450VX 450W, $65. An alternative is Enermax ECO80+ 400W EES400AWT, $61.
    * Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black microATX, with LCD/IR receiver/remote, $140.
    * Total Cost: $703 for ATI, $713 for NVIDIA

$700 seems insanely high (and thats without Win 7), but then again this is from AVSForum. I want to rip DVDs and BluRays, Hulu and Netflix it up, stream Last.fm, etc. The only heavy lifting it'll really need is being able to push HD video and sound with minimal distortion.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Building a mid-range computer, and was curious if I've added any Bad Things (tm). Really trying to keep it under $800, if possible.

It'll be mostly used for gaming - primarily any combination of RTS, RPG and FPS.

Games that I'd like to be able to play with the graphics turned up to 11: Mass Effect 2; Borderlands; Fallout 3; many of the various Half-Life 2 family; The Witcher; very basic future-proofing is also a major consideration.

So: Any things you'd do differently? There is a Combo Deal on the video card for a BioStar mobo, which looks vaguely comparable, but it's lacking the USB 3.0 slots, as well as being a micro-atx.

You should go with an ATI 5770. If needed, you could downgrade the CPU to a i3 530 or something from AMD to save money.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

You should go with an ATI 5770. If needed, you could downgrade the CPU to a i3 530 or something from AMD to save money.

Looked into the 5770; well within my price range, and will probably go with this one, as the so-called Vapor-X seems to really help with the cooling.

Any other thoughts?

Tamin on
This discussion has been closed.