Options

A Skeletal Giant Eagle? [LP in progress]

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    THE BLOODLINE HAS DIED

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    THE BLOODLINE HAS DIED

This really sounds reminiscent of Lord of the Rings for some strange reason.

"THE... BLOODLINE... HAS... DIED!!!"

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Its not dead, Its just taking a lot longer than I thought because its running at like 10fps.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Could someone link that fortress that's on the DF map archive site that is incredibly complex?

It has docks with wooden boats, and a map room and stuff, it's pretty amazing, but I can't remember the name of it and really want to show it to my friend.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    it's somewhere around the middle of the thread

L|ama on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Goldparch.

Finally. Man, this fortress is fucking awesome.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i've finally hit summer.

thi game is sooo sloow.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can you do something to block the magma? Cause a cave in or something?

101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    101 wrote: »
    Can you do something to block the magma? Cause a cave in or something?

put a door infront of it.

so long as its not opened even a wood door stops magma

should i put a waterfall in the new dinning room?

Can you flood a brook if you pump water back into it ?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So the magma isn't flowing? Why is it still slowing you down?

101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    101 wrote: »
    So the magma isn't flowing? Why is it still slowing you down?

to many people and things, i guess.

I don't know.

e.
    Maybe its all the hauling tasks

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Are you moving all the stockpiles to the new place? That will do it.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    because the game is running so slow, and i'm only about half way through, if people want me to pass it on and just post a write up of what i've done thus far I'd be willing for the sake of the bloodline.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The sake of the dead bloodline that has been completely screwed up, passed over people, and had other people drop out.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    God damnit it you guys.

Also I recently discovered how to use pumps without screwing it up. Gonna make some ballin' waterfalls.

101 on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If the screw pumps dont screw, how do they work?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It was only a year under Llama before we could tolerate no more. I lead the workers in a revolt against his rule, it was a bloody mess. Dwarf against dwarf, However in the end we became a stronger settlement, bonded over the delight of the accursed Llama's corpse, sinking beneath the undulating surface of the magma pipe, His scorched body to sleep forever with the imps and devils that call the inferno their home.

I lead a grand migration from the fortress shortly after, The unanimous decision by all to start fresh, Free from the taints of mismanagement, greed, and disgusting opulence of our former leaders, In this harsh time we've lost much, Our calendars and time keepers, and many of our painters and engravers, so detailed information in this Journal will sparse at best.

We had found a place, far to the north and east, to restart our lives. However it would not be long before the accursed goblins would come, Laying siege to our endeavors. With our new home still under construction, we had little choice but to race back to that which we once abandoned, Before we could make the run however..many of our miners fell. Trapped in the fresh excavations by the goblin hordes.

To the great halls we returned, slamming and baring the grand doors against the horde, delayed by the brave champions whom drew the line just out side the gates in the noble task of cutting down the defilers.

firstwave.png
    secondwave.png

BY ARMOK OUR CHAMPIONS SLEW THE GOBLIN HORDES!
    50 strong they were, spearmen and crossbow goblins lead by a powerful Hammer Goblin. All fell before the might of our champions and their steel.
    All that is left now is to claim what valuables they may have carried, and return to work on our new home in the north east.

Some time in the late spring,

I suppose word of our revolt and reconstruction efforts reached the mountain homes, Because they saw fit to punish us with the arrival of more damned nobles. the Baroness, Tax Collector, and the Murder-Crazy Hammerer have arrived. I've instructed my followers to avoid the hammerer at all costs lest they be pound into goo for walking the wrong damn way around his royal pissypants.

Mid Summer

Things continue to go well, the new dinning hall is constructed and cleared of stone, as is the kitchen and brewery. I shall unleashed the engravers upon it after more critical works have been completed.
    As we work our hands to the bone to move to our new home in the north east, The nobles continue to play their pissing games.
    Everyone from the tax collector to the Baroness's whore, every day, multiple times, continue to announce price changes for exports and other mindless things that we don't have a care in the world about. There is growing dissent amongst the workers over these nobles, and whispers of giving them a Magma baptism the likes of which we gave our previous annoyer, Llama.

I now close this journal. My rule was short, but much has been done and I feel I've laid the foundations for a new and vibrant life for my fellow dwarfs in the northern homes, Away form the taint and misery of the hollows we long ago left.

I only played half until mid/late summer because its just running too damn bad on my system. I passed it on to the next guy on the list, sorry I couldn't finish ou a full year.

Next time I'll have to be earlier in turn so I can run it :(

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You didn't even let the goblins kill some elves? Traitor.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    You didn't even let the goblins kill some elves? Traitor.

You are dead you can't have an opinion.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I didnt realize Kros backed out.

now I know the list in the op is not up to date, so I don't know who the fucks next.

so whoever is next, heres the link

http://rapidshare.com/files/333648321/syrupstorms.zip.html

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm so gonna tinker with this shit.

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That'll be me I believe. Hopefully my computer fares better.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey... hey guys, I posted some awesome Kobold Camp stuff.

Not to totally ruin the mojo of this very awesome and well written Bloodline or anything.

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If the screw pumps dont screw, how do they work?

a screw pump is a single helix rotor inside a double helix stator, arranged in such a way that when the rotor is placed inside the stator, cavities are created. When the rotor is rotated inside the stator, it moves any fluid in the cavity through to the other end. The advantage of a screw pump over other types of pumps is that it can easily handle high viscosity fluids and fluids with a high sensitivity to shearing, and it is one of the few pumps that can work in reverse.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Way to miss the joke.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, but now you know something practical

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man buttcleft, no wonder you tried to restart, this place is insane. I'm gonna have to spend some time figuring shit out cause no way in hell am I continuing your work.

Just wish you had built it a bit closer so I could convert it into some sort of military outpost.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    See? TRAITOR.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    See? TRAITOR.

we can't hear you with 2 miles of burning hot magma above your head.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Damn, Ipse needs to update OP.

Btw my fellows, check out the redux of Kobold Camp: 40d here or 40d16 here

Back to Bloodline, that entire thing is a MESS. I have no idea how anything is getting done. Where are the in-game notes for areas/levers/etc and text guides? D:

I am so dreading my turn... if it ever comes along. :^D

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Small update: Still pluggin' away at this thing but it's taking a lot more time than I expected.

Thought I'd look for a bit of forumer interaction:
    the elves are here to trade, should I continue Llama's aggressive ways towards the elves or be nicety nice?

I'm leaning towards the former.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    trade? with elves?

madness

101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't even know how much buttcleft fucked things up, but do whatever you want with the elves. If they bring useful stuff (doubtful) then trade with them, if not just grab all the wood and shit.

L|ama on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't even know how much buttcleft fucked things up, but do whatever you want with the elves. If they bring useful stuff (doubtful) then trade with them, if not just grab all the wood and shit.

and then take all the lumber

:winky:

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alright, turn is done and writeup is incoming and without a single complaint about the bloodline dying! Because no one cares anymore.

Also, if i can manage to not muck it up i'm gonna put the map up on DF Map Archive.

Edit: Also, Buttcleft didn't really mess anything up, the main fort was as functional i can tell it ever was, just had to spend some months getting all the supplies back.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    oh god buttcleft you hear that? You ruined EVERYTHING

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alright here we go. I think i might have gone a bit overboard so be warned there be a shit ton of images.
    13th Galena,205
    The mountain homes heard reports of civil unrest in the grand fortress of Syrupstorms and decided to send a military dispatch to check it out and declare martial law if necessary. The squad sent out would be mine, the toughest sons of bitches the Mountainhomes have ever known.

It was time for the Rough Kisses to roll out.

25th Galena,205
    The rumors of uprest were true, I found a good portion of the citizenry trudging miles away to their new home.

traitors-1.jpg

Neither location was of much military worth, but all the traitors had managed to complete was a couple of rooms filled with debris from their creation and a dining hall with a few chairs and barrels of food. As my first act I had them rounded up and brought back to Syrupstorms proper and the place ordered off limits upon penalty of death.

26th Galena, 205
    It was a mistake calling it Syrupstorms "proper" in my last entry, there is nothing proper about this place. The first level is nothing but workshops built in large open rooms with their goods and materials strewn about them like some sort of despicable Human flea market. And despite having FOUR stills we had dangerously low levels of alcohol on hand. Any and all dwarves with the slightest hint of still operation were pressed into service. On another level I found a talking cactus taking up residence in not only the largest bedroom AND the largest office claiming himself of dwarven heritage and to be our "Cactuar Master", a specialization of Dungeon Master he says. I just nodded and smiled until I can get out of the room.

larlar-2.jpg

During my initial survey of the place I did find one interesting artifact. I recognized it's beauty immediately but prolonged viewing just made my head hurt.

recursion-3.jpg

11th Limestone, 205
    weaklings-4.jpg
    Kobolds! Unfortunately for them they walked right into our axedwarf Udib and one of our many wrestlers. Here's the scene depicted to me in their after action report seconds after the engagement:
    yougotknockedthefuckout-5.jpg

12th Limestone, 205
    Another kobold ambush! I guess they're spoilin' for revenge.
    victory-6.jpg
    The results are the same with the exception of one casualty on our side.

15th Limestone, 205
    A dwarven caravan has arrived! Good timing as well, since I had finally gotten these slack-jawed morons to stop hauling rocks from the half-finished fortress back to the old one (seriously, did you have to designate EVERY stone for dumping?).

"Sir?"
    "What is it now? did someone fall down the well?"
    "Sir, there's something outside you should see."

forthehorde-7.jpg

Let it be recorded that our "illustrious" leader burst into laughter for a solid 10 minutes. Some of our more.. resourceful dwarves put together a betting pool on how many pieces the kobold would end up in.

suicideispainless-8.jpg
    The odds tonight were an unprecedented 1000-0 on him ending up in one piece. Still very few takers.

25th Limestone, 205
    blargh-9.jpg
    Goblins! If it's Rough Kisses they want it's Rough Kisses they'll get!

smooches-10.jpg
    Here I am seen letting a goblin get to first base with my warhammer.

2toattack-11.jpg
    The Kisses prepare flanking manuevers.

giantswinthepennant-12.jpg
    Deduk Noramerush decides shooting motherfuckers isn't enough and knocks a goblin out of the ballpark with his trusty crossbow.

thechase-13.jpg
    I send the rest of the Kisses away to have some alone time between me, the straggler, and my hammer. It ends quickly then we head out to toast Deduk's homerun.

1st Sandstone, 205
    Tragedy has struck Syrupstorms today in the most confusing of circumstances.

A baby starved to death.

In the dining hall.

NEAR a food barrel containing at least one of our over 1000 prepared meals.

In other news, we managed to come to terms on our trade agreements for next year. Bone idols and hats are all the rage this season in the Mountainhomes. I then traded some useless goblin junk we had laying around for every drop of alcohol they had on hand, some cloth, and other odds and ends (cloth to be sold back to them next year for a tidy profit).The trade arrangement is as follows:
    exports-14.jpg

13th Sandstone, 205
    youwereuselessanyways-15.jpg
    I guess being the Baroness' fuckstick and making silly demands just wasn't what he wanted in life. I've ordered him closely monitored in case he tries to take anyone else with him.

(Note to self:Make sure he gets a nice spot in the mass grave).

14th Sandstone, 205
    Seeing her consort sink into depression has had a heavy toll on the Baroness's mental state and she has gone beserk! She was promptly struck down by Minkot Ingizzuglar. It's a Noble fire sale here in Syrupstorms. All nobles must go!No credit? Bad credit? You're pre-approved to kill a noble so come on down!

15th Sandsone, 205
    Another mysterious starvation in the dining hall today, this time it was the only member of the royal guard.I'm growing concerned over this alarming trend and hope my improvements to the dining hall can be completed before more are claimed.

I think i've been here too long. Two people have been stupid enough to starve to death with abundant food stores around and I care about this? God I need a stronger drink.

25th Sandstone, 205
    theyrehere-16.jpg
    A child has been overcome by some sort of demonic posession! I'd have had him locked up if it weren't for the townsfolk telling me this sort of thing is normal. Must be cause of the magma pipe, i've heard bad things about digging too deep when magma is involved. The kid keeps muttering "Zuntirngarak" whatever that means.

8th Timber, 205
    Success! The child has come out of his posession with no ill effect. And he made this Zuntirngarak he kept muttering about, it turned out to be a crown.
    popehat-17.jpg

13th Moonstone, 205
    The Baroness's Consort finally starved himself to death.

27th Opal, 205
    Syrupstorms has been hard at work on several key projects with no hiccups to report until someone came into my barracks to report this:
    mood2electricboogaloo-18.jpg
    I note it in the town log and pray this one makes something of use.

3rd Obsidian, 205
    vigordashed-19.jpg
    That's.. that's real special son. Goddamn useless jewelers, shoulda just drafted his ass.

1st Granite, 206
    contributiontoteam-20.jpg
    The first of my great works is complete. A series of fancy offices for the nobles that haven't killed themselves. Maybe now they'll stop complaining that they don't have a pot to piss in.

1st Granite,206 Log supplemental
    After having cleared the traitor's den sometime ago and giving those who abandoned Syrupstorms a chance to reintergrate into society I have judged all but one fit for joining our fortress and the Mountainhomes again. The one deserving punishment was of course the leader, Urist Mcbuttcleftus. I called him into my office today and told him he was free of all charges.To help ring in the new year, and as an act of good faith on his part, I gave him a mission to help condemn the abomination looming on the horizon. Here he is seen setting out to complete his task.

thetrapisset-21.jpg

Unfortunately as soon as he set foot on the grounds to complete whatever task I made up the trap was sprung and his punishment began. Condemned to live out the rest of his days in the tomb of his own making.

sainthelena-22.jpg

14th Granite, 206
    donotremove-24.jpg
    Oh joy Elves. I've been told our previous interactions with them have been less than hospitable, which makes me extremely nervous since my plan of action for cases like this is months from completion.

9th Slate, 206
    After much deliberation with the Kisses I have decided to continue the campaign of Elven agression. Hopefully by the time they decide to retaliate everything will be in place. We seized anything of remote value (including a bunch of cloth) then told them to fuck off.

I was also notified that we finished capping off the magma pipe today! No foul magma spawn crawling to the surface for us.

27th Slate, 206
    goddamnit-25.jpg
    "Sir, our scouts have spotted something on the horizon and you wont like it."
    "What is it?"
    "20-30 migrants sir,and they brought a new baron, their consort, and a philosopher."
    "A what? What the fuck does a philosopher do? We don't need someone contemplating our existence while goblins and elves and who knows what else are battering our door in. When he arrives tell him to go haul stones or something."

16th Felsite, 206
    sorrybuttcleft-26.jpg
    Let him be commended for making it a month and a half with no food or water.

13th Hematite, 206
    (excuse the crappy screenshot, I didn't get one in time)
    nappytime-27.jpg
    Goddamnit, are these people not taught how to dig something before they grab a pick? Inspection of the site reveals Nomal managed to fall down 4 levels and injure his brain, neck and lower spine. I've ordered the men to put up some long overdue hospital beds close to the well so hopefully he can recover fully and learn something from this ordeal.

15th Hematite, 206
    undersiege-28.jpg
    Goblins! No doubt drawn by the stench of the human caravan that had arrived a little earlier.

18th Hematite, 206
    firstcontact-29.jpg
    One of my squads acting on old orders engages the second platoon of goblins and leads us to our first casualty, spearman Logem Dishmabothos.

runaway-30.jpg
    The Walled Razors adapt a rather unusual strategy and all run away in opposite directions.

cleanuponisle6-31.jpg
    After sufficient space the Walled Razors lead the second platoon back towards the rest of the Syrupstorms Army which was already engaged with the main force and the field ran red with blood. Over half the goblins fled from the battle.

4th Malachite, 206
    Here's the trade agreements with the Humans. I don't know what's going on elsewhere that everyone needs cloth but I am happy to oblige thanks to our Elven friends.
    humanagreement-32.jpg

18th Malachite, 206
    therewasaholehere-33.jpg
    Goddamnit. Clearly there was some lasting brain damage.

And even more now.

5th Galena, 206
    bangthedrum-34.jpg
    Today we lost a fishery worker, but gained a mason. Which is fine by me, I don't know what the hell he's been doing, we don't have any fish OR a fishery.

1st Limestone, 206
    Autumn has come! And with it word that a proper leader for Syrupstorms is on the way and I can resume normal duties with the Rough Kisses. Before my time comes to an end I felt I should chronicle some of my projects, some of which have only recently completed, and others I leave to my sucessor to complete.

vomitorium-35.jpg
    Here is the recently completed sculpture garden so you peasants can stop puking all over my battlements while you make them. It has convenient entrances from both the dining hall AND bedroom complex, stretches six floors up to open air AND blocks off one of our blindspots. Also pictured are my improvements to the dining hall layout (which still needs a few more tables and chairs).

laracroftstayout-36.jpg
    This is my very modest tomb in case of my eventual death.

With, y'know, platinum statues, doors made of solid gold. oh and a cougar and a black bear locked in cages triggered to a pressure plate in case of tombrobbers.

Modest.

targetrange-37.jpg
    This was going to be the ballista training range but I was drinking pretty heavily near the end and forgot to have it ordered to be converted from the old archery range sooner. You should be able to get 3 ballistae across for training purposes. The channel ensures the bolts dont break upon impact and can be reused and the stockpile is for the ammo.

And finally my biggest project, and biggest failure. I give you our outer defenses. To help refresh your memory here's their state when I got here:
    beforez0.jpg
    beforez1.jpg

And after:
    afterz0.jpg
    afterz1.jpg

I moved the kennel downstairs and packed every last inch of the first floor with ballista ammo while knocking out the tower walls upstairs to replace them with some nice fortifications for our archers to shoot through. Upstairs are the new archery ranges, as well as food, drink, practice ANd life-fire ammo storage. Once the roof is completed beds can be placed and a barracks assigned so our archers have no excuse to ever leave their posts. What I have also left for your completion back on the ground levels are the ballistae battery and fortifications for them to fire out of. Unfortunately we had no siege engineer when I arrived and training one goes so slowly I could have walked to the Mountainhomes, acquired each ballista and come back by the time we'd have made our own masterwork one. I recommend training siege operators ASAP at any rate.

What follows are my proposed plans for our defense, You can be more conservative if you wish. The crosses mark spots for fortifications and workshops are placeholders for ballista positions.
    thatsallfolks-38.jpg

And here's the fortress status at the end of the year:
    stocks-39.jpg

Notes:
    It's been fun, even if it did kind of die down as far as interesting events go for the last half of the year. I was kind of hoping for a megabeast to help spice things up. Also, I may have accidentally unforbid some useless goblin armor near the end of the year so dwarves have been hauling it into the finished goods stockpile. I setup a garbage dump right outside the outdoor bridge for it and tried to reforbid it all via the stocks menu but it might still be a problem.
    Oh and there's a fuckton of clothbins at the trade depot still, our stockpiles are full up on cloth.
    Also, I started on 26th Galena like a few days before Autumn so i figured i'd take it straight to the first. If you wanna go for a year and a half to get it back on track be my guest.

Oh and if anyone is curious at the start of my turn we had FOURTEEN drinks.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alright, sent the file off to HellaJeff.

Also here's the map on DFMA:
    http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7818-syrupstorms-bloodline

Your wang is now forever immortalized Llama.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Looking at the map, why is there a giant channel?

101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's the supply for the well, I think.

And woo dicks.

L|ama on