As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age keeps alttabbing me.

MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My games alt-tabs me every now and then, it's pretty really annoying. Is there anyone else with this problem in any game? I usually only play steam games otherwise but this I got on a DVD. Don't know if that's a factor here.

Om on Win7 64

Movitz on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Like switching between windows without you doing anything?

I've never had that happen. Also running Windows7 64-bit.

Do you have other programs running at the same time?

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yup, switching me out, just like that. I just go back in again i 5 ms but it's still annoying

No other programs than the usual stuff. Antivirus, MSN, steam, thunderbird. Nothing which have produced trouble before. I guess one way to check it would be to turn everything off and switch things on one after another. But that's pretty time consuming as it might well be 20 min before the tabbing.

Movitz on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does it switch to a random window or the same one every time? That might narrow it down.

(If it's actually alt-tabbing, I guess it should just be switching to the last one you were using)

I know when I launch from Steam, I have to Shift-Tab and close out a couple windows every time I start playing.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Just switching to desktop, although It might be to the MSN window since It's hard to see if it's active or not. I'll try keeping an eye open next time.

Movitz on
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I made a thread about this a few days ago and it turns out it was me updating to AVG 9.0. Go to processes in the task manager and shut down avgtray.exe. I may be mistaken but I think AVG still runs just not the tray. I say this because there are a bunch of other programs starting with avg still running until "system" instead of "user" like avgtray.exe.

sumwar on
  • Options
    TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A fair bit of games do this if you are in full screen mode. I think it is windows more than the game itself.

It's usually because of alerts: msn, avg update. Things like that.

I had this problem in WoW a long time ago so what I found worked best was to play the game in windows mode. You still get the alerts, but it does not pop you out of game.

You could also disable any alerts in those programs if you prefer to play in full screen.

However, hitting the windows key can also do this in a lot of games as well, which is a real pain in games that you use the ctrl and alt key.

Tzyr on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I've hit that stupid Windows key by accident so many times I just disabled it.

I don't think I've ever hit it on purpose.

Chanus on
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think it is an AVG 9.0 problem as well. I just upgraded over the weekend and I'm having this happen about once every 20-30 minutes. Happened in Dragon Age, any movies being watched in full screen, and Civ4.

Myiagros on
    iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I haven't played anything else than DO since I upgraded to AVG 9.0 so I can't say for sure. But the timing is correct so AVG might be it. If it is that would suck as I do not want to pay for new software.

Will try the disabling trick sumwar mentioned.

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    UPDATE:
    I didn't disable the avgtray.exe but started by disabling balloon popups from the avg options. That seems to have done the trick. I've played for one hour so far without trouble.

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Congrats!

Chanus on