As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 Slim BC Question

WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all,

So with the Best Buy and Walmart deals on the new PS3 slim, I think I might finally give some of my hard earned money back to Sony. I wanted to do some research and find out if they fixed their backward compatability problems, but I couldn't find it referenced anywhere on their website.

Does anyone know the extent to which PS1 & 2 games can be played on the new slim?

WilDPanthA05 on

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PS3 slims have no PS2 BC at all.

I think they have no problem with PS1 games though, but someone else can confirm/correct that.

SteevL on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PS1 games: 100% yes.
    PS2 games: 100% no.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No PS2 games. Only PS1.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus to check PS1 compatibility.

LaPuzza on
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The new slim can play ALL PS1 games and NO PS2 games. I haven't heard of any specific PS1 games that have trouble on PS3s, but all PS1 games are supposed to work. There is no PS2 BC on the slim or the newer phats.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks H&A! Much appreciated ... while I still can't figure out how they can justify not including PS2 games, I guess I'll finally join the PS3 team.

WilDPanthA05 on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone who was really gung-ho about PS2 BC bought a launch console, or picked up the 80 gig MGS4 bundle as it was the last PS3 with BC. Considering how cheap you can pick up PS2s these days, it's just not worth it to Sony to continue supporting BC on the PS3.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Look at it this way. They dropped the price of a PS3 from $399 to $299. A new PS2 costs $99.

They pretty much figure that anyone super gung-ho for BC bought a BC console, or has a PS2. Also, that extra hardware that was necessary for BC costs money and takes up space. BC isn't a big selling point for the average person buying their first PS3.

RUNN1NGMAN on