As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MaximumZero's Second PSP Thread: I Got One

maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what?New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay, so I picked up a PSP today at Circuit City. $173 after tax for the core system + Wipeout Pure, which was included free.

Also picked up a 1GB Memory Stick at CompUSA, where I work.

So what should I know about this thing? Cool Apps? Demos? Don't Update Firmware?

Can anyone brief me on this thing quick-like?

FU7kFbw.png
Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
maximumzero on

• Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    certain games will force a frimware update.

That's about all i know

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't tell you much about the system, but buy Loco Roco. Now.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lumines
    Lumines
    Lumines
    Lumines
    Lumines

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MGS:PO
    Mega Man Remixes
    Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (eToy's GOTY...like, all around GOTY)
    Field Commander
    Daxter
    Katamari
    Lumines
    SOCOM
    Tekken
    MGA1 & 2
    Ridge Racer

..Damn, I love this system.

Darlan on
  • Options
    pyromoshpyromosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've barely touched a PSP, so I'm not saying anything for or against it.

But after the last thread where you were asking for advice... well, it seems that the overwelming majority of advice was "don't do it".

So what made you go out and buy one anyway? If you were set on it anyway, why ask advice? Just curious.

pyromosh on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    OH GOD FINALLY. SOMOENE ELSE WHO HAS TWO PSP'S.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lumines
    Lumines
    Lumines
    Lumines
    Lumines

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't tell you much about the system, but buy Loco Roco. Now.

If there's still a demo available, play it first.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    Krunch XPKrunch XP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I also just got one. Bestbuy.ca and Futureshop.ca were selling a core package for 179,00$ CAD. So I got one, with EA Replay and GripShift. Sadly, I ordered a 4Gig Stick Duo from NCIX.com, which has yet to arrive.

I really want to go through all ( what is it again, 11? ) seasons of X-Files again. So I figure the PSP will rock so hard for that. Watching the show at home is cool and all, but finding the needed 200 hours to go through the series at home, will be quite the challenge. X-Files, and Hercules, Xena, He-Man, Bionic Six, Highlander, Seinfeld, Batman TAS, Babylon 5, Start Trek TNG and Voyager ( just went through DS9, took four months ), etc. Seriously, a PSP is a godsend for me with a 4Gig card. Especially since I just sold my iPod Nano for no loss, which was a great subsidy for said PSP.

I'm going to go ahead and get that Logitech Playgear Pocket cause I don't want to wreck the screen with my hard-as-nails pocket lint.

I plan on getting Lumines, Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins and probably that Sega Collection, pretty soon.

Then, if I have time, I'll hit up some deeper games.

And I own 400 shares of Sony. GOOOOOOOO SONY!

Krunch XP on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Krunch XP wrote:
    I also just got one. Bestbuy.ca and Futureshop.ca were selling a core package for 179,00$ CAD.

That's godamn tempting.

I think I'll defintely pick one up when they hit 150 CDN.

Anyone know if there's any 1st or 3rd party batteries out there with a higher mAh rating than the standard battery?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Krunch XPKrunch XP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    And... I seem to need a USB cord to connect the unit to my pc. Do I just need to get a male(mini-usb)-male(regular-usb) cable?

Krunch XP on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    pyromosh wrote:
    I've barely touched a PSP, so I'm not saying anything for or against it.

But after the last thread where you were asking for advice... well, it seems that the overwelming majority of advice was "don't do it".

So what made you go out and buy one anyway? If you were set on it anyway, why ask advice? Just curious.

The thread I made actually seemed half split on "don't bother" and "there's more stuff for it than you think".

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The GTA Stories games for the PSP are quite nice. They aren't quite like the PS2 version but the graphics are very nice for a fucking hand held and the games feel more like Expansion packs for each GTA. I am currently playing Liberty City stories and it feels like they just went thru, changed some scenery and added a whole new story and new missions. GTA VCS was similiar, and quite fun as well but I am sick of VC and would rather roam Liberty for a while.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why do we need a second, no third thread for this?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why do we need a second, no third thread for this?

Why not? The last thread was practically a megathread.

And I'd suggest you just not bother with homebrew, and stick to new games. Too bad you can't have both, it has to be one or the other.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Get Killzone: Liberation. It's so much improved over the original Killzone, it's unbelievable. First off, the level design is much improved (!). Secondly, the AI is actually quite good (!!). And lastly, it actually has a good framerate (!!!).

My only problems with it are that the campaign mode is kind of 'Halo 2'-ish, in that it blatantly leads straight into Killzone 2. There's also a couple of unbalanced bosses and the campaign mode is pretty short. But the positives outweight the bad, especially with the multiplayer modes (and the upcoming online play).

Get it, it's awesome (and this is coming from someone that thought the first Killzone was a good idea, which turned out rather mediocre).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Get Killzone: Liberation. It's so much improved over the original Killzone, it's unbelievable. First off, the level design is much improved (!). Secondly, the AI is actually quite good (!!). And lastly, it actually has a good framerate (!!!).

My only problems with it are that the campaign mode is kind of 'Halo 2'-ish, in that it blatantly leads straight into Killzone 2. There's also a couple of unbalanced bosses and the campaign mode is pretty short. But the positives outweight the bad, especially with the multiplayer modes (and the upcoming online play).

Get it, it's awesome (and this is coming from someone that thought the first Killzone was a good idea, which turned out rather mediocre).
    I'm enjoying it so far and can't wait for online multiplayer that was promised.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wait, the PSP got a pricedrop? Or just in Canada?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm trying to grab the Killzone downloadable demo but the site is being a bitch.

Deciding what to spend my $30 GS gift card on--Katamari, if I can find it, is currently top pic.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm trying to grab the Killzone downloadable demo but the site is being a bitch.

Deciding what to spend my $30 GS gift card on--Katamari, if I can find it, is currently top pic.

Why? How is a souless cash in better than the awesome exclusives the PSP has?

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Because I love Katamari, but I have no PS2 to enjoy it on.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007

I see. Then why did you not just buy a PS2 instead of a PSP (since you currently lack a PS2)? There's no question that the PS2's library is a thousand times better.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Krunch XP wrote:
    I also just got one. Bestbuy.ca and Futureshop.ca were selling a core package for 179,00$ CAD.

That's godamn tempting.

I think I'll defintely pick one up when they hit 150 CDN.

Anyone know if there's any 1st or 3rd party batteries out there with a higher mAh rating than the standard battery?

Same. Or whenever my ds' hinge finally cracks off completely.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    4 hours in and the screen is already an assfuck load of hairline scratches.

Goddammit. I was hoping I could avoid this until I got a screen protector. I guess I'll just have to try my best to not be uber-anal.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A good reason to own a psp is shown by my post here being made on my psp!

:]

E: (This also on psp) I'm 9 days in and not a single scratch, and I have a little sister and 4 dogs.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    4 hours in and the screen is already an assfuck load of hairline scratches.

Goddammit. I was hoping I could avoid this until I got a screen protector. I guess I'll just have to try my best to not be uber-anal.

Sure they're hairline scratches? I know I had a lot of things that seemed like scratches, but a cleaning with a damp cloth revealed that they were actually 'slices' into the smudges and gunk that is literally magnetically pulled towards the PSP's face.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    A good reason to own a psp is shown by my post here being made on my psp!

:]

E: (This also on psp) I'm 9 days in and not a single scratch, and I have a little sister and 4 dogs.
    God, how can you stand to enter more than three words? That post must have taken you 10 minutes to write.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007

I see. Then why did you not just buy a PS2 instead of a PSP (since you currently lack a PS2)? There's no question that the PS2's library is a thousand times better.

Cost of PSP < Cost of PS2 + TV

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    DukhatDukhat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The PSP's keyboard is actually quite quick once you get use to it. The fact that each step in selecting, choosing which symbol, and moving on to the next symbol uses 3 different keys in succession makes it quite quick.

The learning curve however can be a pain and the keyboard is often noted as a low-point by reviewers who spend only a day with the system, which is then aped by those seeking to insult the PSP.

Dukhat on
    Holla!
  • Options
    ak74uak74u Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PSP video9 and 4 GB memorystick is all you need....I've been spending my christmas vacation enjoying all the five seasons of Quantum Leap. And a heads up to UK/euro members they are still pimping the Sega Mega Drive collection for £16 over play/blahdvd

[spoiler:3d781395bb]
    leapnn3.gif
    [/spoiler:3d781395bb] :cry:

ak74u on
    thetrenches14qk.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dukhat wrote:
    The PSP's keyboard is actually quite quick once you get use to it. The fact that each step in selecting, choosing which symbol, and moving on to the next symbol uses 3 different keys in succession makes it quite quick.

The learning curve however can be a pain and the keyboard is often noted as a low-point by reviewers who spend only a day with the system, which is then aped by those seeking to insult the PSP.

Agreed. While certainly a keyboard would be best, it is better than a cellphone/PDA.

I can type pretty speedy on the thing, and actually think the browser is one of the best features of the PSP. It's like an instant-on laptop. For the OP, I vote for getting all the latest firmwares; to me the extra fetures they've added have been worth no homebrew.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

Wait, there's a downloadable demo of Killzone? The only version I've seen is a UMD rip of the Disc that was released a while ago, so they've finally released a proper downloadable demo of it?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    popypopypopypopy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    at the risk of being banned (no biggie,I 'm a lurker), google for "3.02 OE-b" firmware. Its the one that lets you play your ps1 library on it (rip the disk, run the image through a little dealie, and you are all set, 99% of the games run perfectly, the emulator is already built into the FW and sony-made. You're just avoiding re-buying your colelction and avoiding being limited to whatever sony was able to get cozy with publishers on)

popypopy on
    fulci%20zombi.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I upgraded to one of the high capacity batteries yesterday, and I gotta recommend it. I played Dark Mirror and Genesis Collection for around 8 hours so far, and still have 10% on the battery.

Hensler on
  • Options
    MrDeadManMrDeadMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Also, at the risk of being banned, everyone saying that you should "just upgrade" or that you "can't have homebrew and new releases" should also look at OE-B. Between that and the 2.80 downgrader just before Christmas, saved my PSP from being traded in for a DS. Now I can't put the damn thing down.

MrDeadMan on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:

somebody pay attention to meeee

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:

somebody pay attention to meeee
    Emo child.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    so this thread has made me dig out my psp, and i figured i'd stick this here as it doesnt merit its own thread. i've noticed the joystick seems to have made a very noticeable circular scratch above it on the psp casing..anyone else notice theres doing this? i guess the joystick must be so lowset its rubbing a little bit on it..even though theres no noticeable resistance..

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Lew ZealandLew Zealand Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hensler wrote:
    I upgraded to one of the high capacity batteries yesterday, and I gotta recommend it. I played Dark Mirror and Genesis Collection for around 8 hours so far, and still have 10% on the battery.

Do those games access the disc a lot? That's a pretty good battery life regardless, I guess. I might have to invest in one of those.

I asked for a bunch of PSP games for Christmas but only got Vice City Stories. I don't mind. It's such a leap over Libery City Stories that I can't believe it. I suppose part of that is because I like Vice City more than Liberty City but, man, it's great. The only complaint I have is that it took longer than I would have liked to unlock the second half of the city.

Lew Zealand on