As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tekken 6 Almost "definitely" Coming to 360

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Another great cross post I was hoping that some of you might also have information about. I spent many many long hours with the Tekken series as a whole, and if it is indeed true this is coming out for the 360, then all 360 owners have reason to rejoice.

Have any of you heard anything else about this?
Neo Rasa wrote:

http://www.aeropause.com/archives/2007/01/tekken_6_exclus.php

Outside of the abominable Tekken Advance, Namco has always kept the Tekken franchise on Sony hardware. I'm under the impression that Sony pays heavily for this exclusivity. Now "sources" say Tekken 6 will be headed to the 360 shortly after its PS3 port is released.

The other origin mentioned in every English article is "sources within IGN" that are also cited as the same "sources within IGN" that broke the VF5 on 360 information. So there's more credibility here than I originally thought as, despite my general hatred of IGN, over the years they've never been wrong about fighting game scoops. Definitely a passionate fan or two in there that's got hard access to solid information. I've noticed this since the late nineties.

However, still not one to take this completely at face value, I kept following the "sources" link in each non-IGN article getting further and further away from our more mainstream game news sites and eventually hitting a point of origin at this site:

http://www.xbox360only.nl/nieuwsitem.php?nid=3657

This is the same place where the information about VF5 coming to the 360 originated just before IGN had it up as well as Sega's own information about it. It also has the earliest post date for the article (12/30/06, everyone else put this up on New Years Eve or on January second).

Still more digging brings us here:

http://bbs.levelup.cn/bbs/

This is a big Chinese gaming board. I could not find a direct link or search extensively because I'm not a member but it seems that on which ever forum in it has thread ID=369487&page=1 has the INDIVIDUAL PERSON who found this out posting more detailed information...in Chinese though. This is also reportedly the same INDIVIDUAL who broke the information about VF5 coming to the 360.

IGN's "we're posting this as a rumor but we know it's true" type of syntax is pretty prevalent in their recent writings about this as well now.

Long story of it short, it seems that like the loopholes with MLB licensed video games, Namco can put Tekken 6 on the 360 despite Sony paying to make it exclusive by having some extra content from Tekken 5 and the Tekken 5: Dark Ressurrection arcade release (this one only came out in Japan so far, it's getting a US arcade release in February) on the PS3 Tekken 6 port.

So all in all, I see no reason to doubt this information at this time, Tekken 6 is coming to the 360 probably by the end of next year. Like many companies, Namco will have a new fiscal year beginning in February (spearheaded by the US arcade release of Tekken 5 Dark Ressurrection). I figure we'll hear an official announcement of some kind then.

Bamelin on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    massive damage

LewieP on
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm truly sorry to hear this.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It'd be a hell of a sting for PS3 if it happened. Tekken is one of the big sony exclusives. But still, right now, it's just a rumour. "Reliable sources" aren't always right.

Heck, I'm sure namco have considered the idea of brining it to 360, but namco have in the past made plenty of decisions that indicate they don't like money. I still can't believe Soul Calibur 3 was PS2 exclusive. And as for only putting tales games on PS2 and PSP after Symphonia sold so brilliantly well on the cube.... grr.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sony... you're getting fucked so hard and so quickly

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    What PS3 titles haven't been rumored to be 360-bound at this point? I guess I'll have to make room on my 360 shelf for Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, Final Fantasy XIII and now Tekken 6.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Namco has always been one of those companies easily swung via financial deals. Indeed, I think the only reason we saw SC2 on the Xbox and Gamecube was due to the McFarline deal (for Xbox) and the Triforce arcade equipment (for the Gamecube). Sony's always dumped massive money hats into Namco's lap....

... If this rumor is true, however (and I take it with a massive grain of salt), then it's the first evidence we have that Sony's money hats aren't enough. And that TRULY is a bad sign for Sony.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    What PS3 titles haven't been rumored to be 360-bound at this point? I guess I'll have to make room on my 360 shelf for Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, Final Fantasy XIII and now Tekken 6.

True .. but this information about Tekken 6 is coming from the same guy that broke the news about VF5.

He was right about VF5, there's a good chance he's right about this too.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There are rumors for everything but the sources this information comes from lends it more credibility in my book.

Also, it does seem like the kind of thing we'll hear about in February. Tekken Dark Ressurrection hits the US arcades then, surely Namco will reveal any major Tekken related bomb (definite PS3 released date/etc.) at this point.

We're only a month off from there, for the rumors to surface NOW, just as the near year begins tells me it's something Namco actively plans to pursue and tell us about when the new quarter begins.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bamelin wrote:
    True .. but this information about Tekken 6 is coming from the same guy that broke the news about VF5.

Sega is buying Namco in (virtua fighter) five years?

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    massive damage

Honestly, I wouldn't be afraid to lay down the $600 for a PS3. I really like the controller tilt too.

But damnit, all the good stuff is coming to the 360 as well. I'm just not sure if I can spend all that money for MGS4.

I bought a PSM previewing 2007 and all the PS3 games coming out this year...becuase out of the 15-20 AWESOME games coming out for the PS3, about...3, 4 maybe aren't coming to the 360

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

Sega is buying Namco in (virtua fighter) five years?

Same thing I was gonna say. Just coz Mr insider was right about SEGA doesn't mean he's right about Namco.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Tekken 6 Almost "definately" Coming to 360
    That's rediculous.

mcc on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mcc wrote:
    That's rediculous.
    I knew something about the thread title was off, but I couldn't put my finger on it until I read your post. Thanks mcc.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mcc wrote:
    That's rediculous.
    heh

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    *gripe*

godamn spelling police. :oops:

Ok I'm fixing I'm fixing

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    done ... however I'm sure it will live on via the subject heading for many a post to come :(

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bamelin wrote:
    done ... however I'm sure it will live on via the subject heading for many a post to come :(

Definately.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Also, it does seem like the kind of thing we'll hear about in February. Tekken Dark Ressurrection hits the US arcades then, surely Namco will reveal any major Tekken related bomb (definite PS3 released date/etc.) at this point.
    Huh? Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection is in US arcades now. They've been there since a long while back.

Too bad that Tekken 5:DR is only on the PS3. :?
    (On a side note, you can already download it on a US PS3, after a few complicated steps.
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/335002664_22d166f0df_b.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/335002118_5b8b75a658_b.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/334999272_f8ac31a61c_b.jpg
    Lookin' good...)

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    B:L wrote:
    Huh? Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection is in US arcades now. They've been there since a long while back.

Edit: ARRGG nevermind my brain was not functioning correctly for several hours.

EVERYONE: Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection came out in US arcades in February 2006. It is coming to the PS3 in the somewhat near future.

Tekken 6 is also coming to the PS3 and will most likely get a 360 point soon after as well.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    Iz-GOodIz-GOod Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only reason I wanted a PS3 was for Tekken, but I wanted an Xbox360 for Dead Rising, Table Tennis, Gears of War...

There's no way I'm getting both consoles, so if Tekken ends up being on X360, it will make me a very happy man.

Also, I'm not sure I read some of your comments right, but Tekken Dark Resurrection has been in US arcades for a while now, it's not coming out in February.

Edit: beated

Iz-GOod on
    Spizler wrote:
    Also, those green squares can go to hell, along with the tiny purple triangles that like to spawn right next to me while I'm trying to evade a horde of those pink splitters.
    TekkenUserBarIz-GOod.jpg
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only truly massive exclusives remaining for the PS3 at this point are Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid 4 (and arguably Devil May Cry, and there's also that White Knight Story thing but that probably won't see the light of day in 2007.) They have very, very few exclusives left and I severely doubt either Konami or Square are pleased with the production delays (especially Square, Japan still hasn't gotten nearly as many PS3s as the U.S. has and Japan is their primary market.)

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    The only truly massive exclusives remaining for the PS3 at this point are Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid 4 (and arguably Devil May Cry, and there's also that White Knight Story thing but that probably won't see the light of day in 2007.) They have very, very few exclusives left and I severely doubt either Konami or Square are pleased with the production delays (especially Square, Japan still hasn't gotten nearly as many PS3s as the U.S. has and Japan is their primary market.)

Yeah and I really doubt that any of those will remain exclusive to the PS3.

edit: Actually, White Knight probably will stay PS3-exclusive. I doubt MGS4 and FF13 will. I'm not too sure about DMC4.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    SpaceDrake wrote:

edit: Actually, White Knight probably will stay PS3-exclusive. I doubt MGS4 and FF13 will. I'm not too sure about DMC4.
    DMC4 was created on a PC so I would be surprised if it didn't get ported to the PC. MS is also forcing PC game compatibility with the 360 controller for its "Games For Windows" so maybe the controls won't blow.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    SpaceDrake wrote:

DMC4 was created on a PC so I would be surprised if it didn't get ported to the PC. MS is also forcing PC game compatibility with the 360 controller for its "Games For Windows" so maybe the controls won't blow.
    Sorry, I meant exclusive within the console world. I can see DMC4 coming to PC, yeah, but probably not for awhile.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Come on Ace Combat 6!

Stonecutter on
  • Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As an arcade collector I should mention this.

A lot of namco games were released on PS2 based arcade hardware http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=546 . The PS2 scored a lot of exclusives because of this (much like the dreamcast).

I haven't seen any mention (if you have one please point me to it) of ps3 based arcade hardware and many companies are moving to custom systems (cheaper for them) or PC hardware based systesm (again cheaper for them).

If this trend continues a lot of arcade games that were PS exclusives won't be because there is no "cheap to convert" logic... unless PS3 takes over the entire market.

crash5s on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Come on Ace Combat 6!

I agree with this.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Considering how tiny the PS3 marketshare is and the fact that it isn't going to explode any time soon with a $500-600 price tag regardless of production issues, a developer would either have to be a moron or get an unbelievable hell of a deal from Sony to make a platform exclusive. MGS4 will probably stay exclusive and FFXIII may as well, but only because of their irrational loyalty to Sony and distaste for American companies (and consumers).

JWFokker on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am so glad I bought a 360 right now. Not that I would have bought a PS3, like ever, but still. Pretty much the only thing that didn't make the 360 a total win for me was lack of Tekken.

If you had told me even six months ago that I would end up buying anything that said "Xbox" on it, I would have laughed in your face. Who would have thought a Microsoft product could bring so much joy?

Azio on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited January 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Namco has always been one of those companies easily swung via financial deals. Indeed, I think the only reason we saw SC2 on the Xbox and Gamecube was due to the McFarline deal (for Xbox) and the Triforce arcade equipment (for the Gamecube). Sony's always dumped massive money hats into Namco's lap....

... If this rumor is true, however (and I take it with a massive grain of salt), then it's the first evidence we have that Sony's money hats aren't enough. And that TRULY is a bad sign for Sony.

I'd say failing to get Dragon Quest IX as a DS exclusive is the first evidence of that. On the financial side of things, how popular is Tekken these days? I was never a fan so I haven't been paying attention.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't think Tekken was as popular as it used to be. The last one I played was 2 or 3. This is still good news, though, since the 360 is getting more games from the PS3 camp.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't think Tekken was as popular as it used to be. The last one I played was 2 or 3. This is still good news, though, since the 360 is getting more games from the PS3 camp.
    Wasn't the last one regarded as one of the best fighting games ever? Or am I thinking Virtua Fighter?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wasn't the last one regarded as one of the best fighting games ever? Or am I thinking Virtua Fighter?

You're thinking VF

The last Tekken (5.1) was godly in arcade, but they only ported it to PSP (god knows why) and created a massive rift in their fan base for several pro events.

Plus Japan (fighting game centeral) isn't fond of tekken.

crash5s on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Azio wrote:
    I am so glad I bought a 360 right now. Not that I would have bought a PS3, like ever, but still. Pretty much the only thing that didn't make the 360 a total win for me was lack of Tekken.

If you had told me even six months ago that I would end up buying anything that said "Xbox" on it, I would have laughed in your face. Who would have thought a Microsoft product could bring so much joy?
    I know. I'm so with you.

2007 is going to be an amazing year for games. So many huge titles coming out for 360 (and others), and this may just be some icing on the cake.
    I loved kicking the shit out of my brother in Tekken, so lets hope I can do it again sometime soon.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    crash5s wrote:

You're thinking VF

The last Tekken (5.1) was godly in arcade, but they only ported it to PSP (god knows why) and created a massive rift in their fan base for several pro events.

Plus Japan (fighting game centeral) isn't fond of tekken.
    Plus Tekken 4 kind of sucked.

Wasn't 5.1 or whatever released on the PS3 recently as a download?

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If microsoft could score MGS4, I'd be willing to go ahead and call the generation already.

For me at least, it's the last really big exclusive to the PS3. Maybe Final Fantasy too.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SynapseSynapse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If microsoft could score MGS4, I'd be willing to go ahead and call the generation already.

For me at least, it's the last really big exclusive to the PS3. Maybe Final Fantasy too.

That'd be lovely, and would cost many boats stacked with gold plated cash for MS to sway it into their territory. Maybe a bit of flirty kissing, as well.

Synapse on
    brawl code: 1719-2854-9722
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hmmm.....

Almost time to buy a 360.

Once this is confirmed, I'm waiting for a price drop and one more stolen former exclusive.

And if that game is MGS4, then I'm super happy.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

As much as I also dig MGS, weren't American sales for the MGS3 average at best?

Anyway, this is getting... interesting. So many publishers have cancelled their PS3 game/added a 360 version, and the damn system hasn't even been out two months.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Screw them, Tekken Advance wasn't that bad, given what they were working with for hardware I was pretty impressed.

Oh, the rest of the article is interesting too...

Lindsay Lohan on