As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions, Discussion, and Tutorials

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    also, who can tell me anything about this work?

islanders.jpg

I got the print from a thrift store in Sacramento. I later saw the same image hanging on the wall of the hawaiian hotel in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. The David reference is pretty obvious here, but my google fu has failed me in finding anything else out about it.

Try tineye.com/

NibCrom on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    awesome. apparently Fisherman Hawaii by John Kelly.

I had totally forgotten about tineye.

thanks

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Well, Grenn, maybe you could answer my question then:

Do people still generally build sites in Photoshop and use that slice method? Or is that completely outdated?

a friend of mine has done it for his sort of landing page. i'll leave it to you to decide if you think it's good or not.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thank you Manonvonsurockuperrock (: I felt silly about not checking under "Image".

melting_doll on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Well, Grenn, maybe you could answer my question then:

Do people still generally build sites in Photoshop and use that slice method? Or is that completely outdated?

Completely outdated, I'm afraid.

If I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure it outputs your "page" as tables. Nowadays the only time tables should be used is for actual tabular data.

Sites should be built 'Content First' in XHTML (which is basically HTML but making sure it conforms to Web Standards) and then CSS should be used to make your content look however you want it to look - there are lots of reasons why this is how it's done but it's pretty much to do with accessibility: if you disable images, CSS, javascript, etc. in your browser, you should still be able to see a page's content laid out in a meaningful way.
    a friend of mine has done it for his sort of landing page. i'll leave it to you to decide if you think it's good or not.

Well, on the surface it appears to display fine but, looking at the source, it's not a well-built page. It also doesn't validate.

This page actually would be really easy to do in XHTML/CSS.

Grenn on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    perfectbinding if it's for a commercial release, I'd just comb-bind it if it's used as an internal manual, etc.

It's not an internal manual, it's just a book that I gotta set up the spreads for. I'll look up perfect binding to see how I gotta set it up. I only use saddle-stitching for my things at work, I've forgoten everything else.

Edit: Manon, do you know about page creeping? I need to find a way to keep the numbers from running all over the page when I fold the spreads.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Grenn wrote: »

Well, on the surface it appears to display fine but, looking at the source, it's not a well-built page. It also doesn't validate.

This page actually would be really easy to do in XHTML/CSS.

Yeah, I know. He was after fast/easy. It's a lot better than his old Flash-only site, though.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the help, Grenn. It looks like the book will help me build sites the right way, which is what I need.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    perfectbinding if it's for a commercial release, I'd just comb-bind it if it's used as an internal manual, etc.

It's not an internal manual, it's just a book that I gotta set up the spreads for. I'll look up perfect binding to see how I gotta set it up. I only use saddle-stitching for my things at work, I've forgoten everything else.

Edit: Manon, do you know about page creeping? I need to find a way to keep the numbers from running all over the page when I fold the spreads.

This should be something your printer takes care of. Ask them what size live area is safe.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It should, but I want to do it. Otherwise, how can I learn?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ask your printer real nicely how they do it.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm always nice... except... when I'm pushed... you know... then I get angry... you don't want to see me when I'm angry.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm always nice... except... when I'm pushed... you know... then I get angry... you don't want to see me when I'm angry.

You'll delete paragraph styles...

without preserving the formatting?!

You monster!

NibCrom on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey guys, I want to make a comic book. I think i'll draw, but ink, and color digitally, as i don't have access to a large enough scanner to do traditional. Does anyone know the specs one would have to work at? 300 DPI, CMYK i believe. But what about the size of the page. I know the working size is different from the final size, and i know there needs to be gutters and stuff. Does anyone know how i go about laying out a page to work on?
    I want this to be professional enough to submit to image or other independent publisher.
    Thanks!

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think this should answer some of your questions:

http://www.blambot.com/ruleyourown.shtml

NibCrom on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey guys, I want to make a comic book. I think i'll draw, but ink, and color digitally, as i don't have access to a large enough scanner to do traditional. Does anyone know the specs one would have to work at? 300 DPI, CMYK i believe. But what about the size of the page. I know the working size is different from the final size, and i know there needs to be gutters and stuff. Does anyone know how i go about laying out a page to work on?
    I want this to be professional enough to submit to image or other independent publisher.
    Thanks!

inking digitally isnt necessarily faster, also my letter size scanner handles my 11x17 pages in segements just fine. Just use photomerge in photoshop..

edit>automate>photomerge

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I've never actually done it, but I believe you can set a creep size in InDesign and it increases the gap between the pages on the sheet for the outer pages in each signature to compensate for the thickness of the signature.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I've never actually done it, but I believe you can set a creep size in InDesign and it increases the gap between the pages on the sheet for the outer pages in each signature to compensate for the thickness of the signature.

Is it strange that I get this excited over paper?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've never even heard of photomerge. I'll check it out. Thanks guys.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Is it strange that I get this excited over paper?

not at all, man. I was on a major bookbinding kick for a while and read up on it pretty heavily. I usually saddlestitch stuff, but I have one really crappy series of signatures I sewed together.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone know a good EASY way to make my own lightbox? I can't afford to spend $200 atm.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    a piece of plexiglass, some boards, and a light?

shouldn't be more than 40 bucks for everything brand new, most of it you should be able to salvage from somewhere.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    a piece of plexiglass, some boards, and a light?

shouldn't be more than 40 bucks for everything brand new, most of it you should be able to salvage from somewhere.

and you can use tracing paper or cheap bond on the underside of the plexiglass as a diffuser. for the plexiglass, try a local surplus store. for whatever reason they tend to have stuff like 24"x24" sheets for $2.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What's a good website to upload my pictures to so that I can use it as a temporary portfolio?

I don't have a website of my own yet, and all I've got is a pdf of my portfolio at the moment.

I've tried flickr but for some reason the website doesn't work in my browser so I can't actually sign up for an account...

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe just sign up for a wordpress account, or some other free blogging site, blogspot or whatever, and bam, you're good to go. A small amount of customization is all you'll need to make it look nice.

For a bare-bones approach, though, Flickr is pretty good - what browser are you using? Weird that it doesn't work.

tynic on
  • Options
    sosolitairesosolitaire Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Hiya

Any advice on doing long drawings( 1h, 5h+ studies or drawing something very detailed)? I've mostly been drawing for fun, but only recently trying to learn properly(very helpful book suggestions from AC). I'm finding, it tough not to rush through stuff. I average like 15 minutes, 30-40 on a good day, but usually end up rushing and/or cluttering up lines and stuff.

There's some suggestions I've read that I'm working on (measuring, observing balance/movement/force etc), but I'd like to hear, hopefully in some detail, what kind of process others use to get some insight.

sosolitaire on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's pretty interesting. It's been a long time since I spent longer than an hour on a study.

F87 on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When you find yourself starting to rush take a break. I once spent an entire week on a drawing doing 15 minute stints at a time.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When it comes to Domain Names would you folks recomend buying the name outright or renting it? I didnt know you could buy a name outright from a reseller and Im not sure what the cost would be and I could be wrong here that you even can do this, I just read it in a forum when trying to research info on setting up a site.

Any suggestions on who to use for the domain? At the moment Im considering GoDaddy.com.

Also, my plan was to register the domain on one site and then host my site seperately with another company so that should I decide to change hosts later on I dont have to deal with reregistering my domain somewhere or risk loosing it altogether, is this a sound plan or would you not worry about rehosting?

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What is the best Photoshop tutorial for someone who has never used Photoshop and just installed it today?

Every tutorial I have found seems to think I already know what all of these buttons and tabs do.

Taya on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Here you go: http://delicious.com/search?p=beginner+photoshop&chk=&context=main|&fr=del_icio_us&lc=

The first link seems pretty appropriate. But still, there are a lot of advanced users of photoshop who wouldn't have a clue what a lot of the features do.

Flay on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    Here you go: http://delicious.com/search?p=beginner+photoshop&chk=&context=main|&fr=del_icio_us&lc=

The first link seems pretty appropriate. But still, there are a lot of advanced users of photoshop who wouldn't have a clue what a lot of the features do.
    Thanks. I don't know how to do anything. I managed to produce this masterpiece though. 8-)

first.png

Taya on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can anyone recommend a good, affordable tablet for a digital noob such as myself? I just need something to color finished lineart with, and maybe do a bit of doodling.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A small bamboo, they're servicable enough until you can upgrade to an intuos. I used a tiny grapphire 4 (pre-date bamboo) for a couple of years and found it perfectly fine.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'll second the bamboo. I have the last iteration without touch and I love it to bits.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cool, thanks fellas.

Munch on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Do any of you guys know of a cool art podcast to listen to?

Mim on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stephen Silver does a really inspiring pod/videocast every once in a while, though I haven't listened to it a while.
    http://stephensilver.blogspot.com/

Mustang on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    Stephen Silver does a really inspiring pod/videocast every once in a while, though I haven't listened to it a while.
    http://stephensilver.blogspot.com/

Thanks! I'm also reading about color theory and anatomy and I tried to find podcasts on those two. The best I could find was a human anatomy class podcast and nothing on color theory though. Wikipedia to the rescue!

Mim on
  • Options
    J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My computer sucks raccoon balls.

That said. Does anybody know a program that will record you like how livestream does? Livestream keeps crashing on my computer. So I was wondering if there is a program that will record a session and give me the file in a .mp4 or .avi so I can submit it to places like youtube.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
This discussion has been closed.